ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Officiating

I do find it funny that all of the people bitching about the quality of officiating have nobody to blame but themselves.

It starts at 1st grade officiating all the way through the NBA.

I guarantee these same people are the ones yelling at officials during grade school games, Jr high, high school, college, & NBA games.

Officiating would be immensely better at all levels if parents would just shut their mouths.

Then refs wouldn’t be quitting right & left & would grow & get better at all levels.

The answer is to yell at your fellow fans/parents when they get on the officials. Call them out. Shame them into not acting a fool & yelling at the jr high refs every game.

I do.

Very well stated. Thank you.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I do find it funny that all of the people bitching about the quality of officiating have nobody to blame but themselves.

It starts at 1st grade officiating all the way through the NBA.

I guarantee these same people are the ones yelling at officials during grade school games, Jr high, high school, college, & NBA games.

Officiating would be immensely better at all levels if parents would just shut their mouths.

Then refs wouldn’t be quitting right & left & would grow & get better at all levels.

The answer is to yell at your fellow fans/parents when they get on the officials. Call them out. Shame them into not acting a fool & yelling at the jr high refs every game.

I do.
So dishonest and bad officiating is merely a social construct? If we don't complain about officials they will improve or become suddenly honest? So when a couple of teams, say Wisconsin and Michigan St. are nut punching, grabbing, pushing without being called-that's the fans fault for blaming the people that are either inept or dishonest.

The Big Ten has almost no turnover in officials. The especially dishonest are fixtures for decades.

So yelling at the dude that called my clearly safe daughter out at first while he was looking at the ****ing parking lot, in the direction of second with his head and back turned to first makes Courtney Greene dishonest today.

You are literally telling people not to believe what they actually see, in the real world and real time. You know at some point that namaste shit turns into the Stockholm Syndrome.​

Last edited:
I blame offensive schemes as well too much one on one basketball or 2 man basketball leads to bad officating does anyone actually run a play anymore?

Reactions: DewHawk
Watching this NEB-ILL game reminds why I dislike watching non-Iowa B1G games.

It isn't "sloppy" play that makes the game(s) look bad, its the refs letting a lot of the 'street fight' physicality go because they won't take charge and make the teams play the game the way it was originally designed to be.

"Freedom of Movement"?? Refs don't even remember that rule that was supposedly in place a few short years ago.

Watching this NEB-ILL game reminds why I dislike watching non-Iowa B1G games.

It isn't "sloppy" play that makes the game(s) look bad, its the refs letting a lot of the 'street fight' physicality go because they won't take charge and make the teams play the game the way it was originally designed to be.

"Freedom of Movement"?? Refs don't even remember that rule that was supposedly in place a few short years ago.
It happens at beginning of the year then coaches complain and officating goes away till next year for the first month

When is the last time you watched a B1G game, and if they are close enough to do so, you watched the trailing defender not have a hand on the offensive player running around a screen? Used to see that constantly in the last few years when JBo ran around thousands of screens per game.

I've never understood how that is not a foul.

When is the last time you watched a B1G game, and if they are close enough to do so, you watched the trailing defender not have a hand on the offensive player running around a screen? Used to see that constantly in the last few years when JBo ran around thousands of screens per game.

I've never understood how that is not a foul.
Dude, they don't call Sparty when he just grabs someone's arm or jersey. A little hand checking is nuthin'. Of course, most other conferences don't have that interpretation of the rules but in the Big Ten, Sparty gets what Sparty needs-most of the time.

So dishonest and bad officiating is merely a social construct? If we don't complain about officials they will improve or become suddenly honest? So when a couple of teams, say Wisconsin and Michigan St. are nut punching, grabbing, pushing without being called-that's the fans fault for blaming the people that are either inept or dishonest.

The Big Ten has almost no turnover in officials. The especially dishonest are fixtures for decades.

So yelling at the dude that called my clearly safe daughter out at first while he was looking at the ****ing parking lot, in the direction of second with his head and back turned to first makes Courtney Greene dishonest today.

You are literally telling people not to believe what they actually see, in the real world and real time. You know at some point that namaste shit turns into the Stockholm Syndrome.​
I wasn’t there but after reading your post I’m pretty sure she was out.

• Haha
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I understood your meaning. Can you imagine how utterly obsessed are these Ferentz bitter enders. Dozens of posts from the same group, new threads every day, usually from the same group. It really gets so tiresome. You cannot even avoid them because its on every topic on the football board.
Thanks for the warning.

If every foul was called it would be nothing more than a free throw contest, who wants that? Loose balls and rebounds should be mostly decided by the players. Fouls happen when players are out of position, reach over, around etc. Since we've decided to allow a certain degree of " palming " the ball, the defensive player is at a disadvantage and it does hurt slower defensive teams like Iowa...

If every foul was called it would be nothing more than a free throw contest, who wants that? Loose balls and rebounds should be mostly decided by the players. Fouls happen when players are out of position, reach over, around etc. Since we've decided to allow a certain degree of " palming " the ball, the defensive player is at a disadvantage and it does hurt slower defensive teams like Iowa...
The style of play would change in a hurry.

I don't think it's currently softball season and holding onto that grudge for this long is some psychotic shit.

I don't think it's currently softball season and holding onto that grudge for this long is some psychotic shit.
It was an analogy. Jesus Christ, read the words.

Nor am I holding grudge. The ridiculous "blame yourself for dishonest officials" point I was disputing just jogged my memory of that specific little slice of dishonesty.

If you want to get snotty and personal with me, don't start with stupid.

It was an analogy. Jesus Christ, read the words.

Nor am I holding grudge. The ridiculous "blame yourself for dishonest officials" point I was disputing just jogged my memory of that specific little slice of dishonesty.

If you want to get snotty and personal with me, don't start with stupid.
I mean, obviously you’re not holding a grudge.

I mean, obviously you’re not holding a grudge.
Well, you're about 10% right. It appears complex thoughts exceed your capacity. I don't even know who that official was and I stopped caring right around the time we left the parking lot. My memory was jogged by the foolish blame the victims approach to some post above. So, I am not carrying a 20 year old grudge against someone I never knew and had, until reminded, forgotten. I'm sorry you can't quite seem to grasp the concept or the difference between a memory and a grudge.

I don't know why you're still talking.

However, you did, albeit like a stopped clock, reach a little truth. I do hold grudges against people who have said or done something seriously bad about or to me or my family. That group is not small given my life is filled with conflict. I'm also extremely vindictive to those who have done something personal to me or harmed me or my fam. That's the kind of revenge that can take a lifetime. Children's softball games do not really give rise to that degree of animosity.​

B1G officiating is atrocious.

Absolutely atrocious.

And a lot of times, its not even due to a huge number of bad calls, or non-calls. Its the inconsistency from half to half, or one part of a half to the other one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT