ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Wrestling Pre-Seeds Announced

Huh? Please explain why you think a #6 seed is better than a #5 seed? I'm not seeing the logic and not trying to be smartaleck!

The idea is that a six seed has an "easier" path to the finals - they face #3 and #2, but avoid #1 until the finals.

Reactions: MitchLL
But apparently not so easy to provide detail, example, or evidence of an ugly claim against the best conference in the sport. But you derive satisfaction from turning the discussion to chum, so there is that. Kudos.
...and that's sort of the definition of trolling, which is sort of a weird thing to be doing on what I presume is one's own board.

Reactions: slushhead
The question was over under 2.5 finalists.

I answered 2 (125 and 165). 4 finalists are a possibility though since 133 is 50/50 and Lugo has a fighters chance.
Ah, didn't understand your "probable" to be your answer. Mea culpa.

Huh? Please explain why you think a #6 seed is better than a #5 seed? I'm not seeing the logic and not trying to be smartaleck!
You're not addressing me, but I "liked" his post and I'll give my opinion. If you're a #5, you've got to beat #1 to make the finals. In the B1G there are some pretty dominate 1s. The probability is much smaller. As a #6, you're tasked with beating a 2/3 to make the finals. There are many instances of beatable #2/3s, imo.

It appears they punished Stoll though.

Maybe a little but unfortunately I think it is more based on his two loses to Hillger and Jensen. When guys miss duals then their losses get magnified. The other 3 guys didn’t lose any Big Ten matches.

But apparently not so easy to provide detail, example, or evidence of an ugly claim against the best conference in the sport. But you derive satisfaction from turning the discussion to chum, so there is that. Kudos.

Why thanks it didn't take long for someone to rush to PSU defense. The final seeds dont come out til later, so there no need to get your panties in a wad.
I've had my suspicion about whether you were a PSU troll, now I know.

Reactions: wasdt21
One thing that I've always found to be a bit strange is how certain mid level schools and their fans seem to worry about how many guys qualify for Nattys.

Imo, wrestlers that barely qualify aren't, in most cases, going to score at Nationals anyway. At least not more than 1-2 points. Is it merely a way for fans to brag about the # of qualifiers?

Reactions: depelland
Me thinks the coaches are way too close on this to handle 100% of the seeding. I hold this same opinion for NCAA seeding. I’m not sure how a seeding committee would look but there should be some combination of current coaches, former coaches/wrestlers and sports admin/wrestling committee. I know both tournaments utilize a formula but I think it can be done better.

Maybe a little but unfortunately I think it is more based on his two loses to Hillger and Jensen. When guys miss duals then their losses get magnified. The other 3 guys didn’t lose any Big Ten matches.
He should be the 5 seed though, not the 8. I'm not arguing he should be top 4. Putting him at 8 to face Stevenson is bullsh** IMO.

My only complaints with the seeds are Carr at the 1 at 141. I get why he is, but if that is the logic they used how is Wilke not the 2 or 3 at 184 Then? Stoll pretty much got the shaft at 285, but I'm not surprised by it. Why was he penalized so badly while Shak had no ramifications for missing matches. They both were on the podium last year, so I'm not buying into previous results affecting anything. Stoll only missed Gable in the Big Ten, so he really didn't miss much in the Big ten. Most his misses were early non conference duals, which shouldn't affect him. He can't help it if he isn't scheduled against other guys. It is what it is, but it seems like they pick the criteria for each weight's seeding at their leisure sometimes! Wilke no lower than a 3 and Stoll no lower than a 6 and I agree with everyone else's pre-seeds. My $.02 anyway.

My only complaints with the seeds are Carr at the 1 at 141. I get why he is, but if that is the logic they used how is Wilke not the 2 or 3 at 184 Then? Stoll pretty much got the shaft at 285, but I'm not surprised by it. Why was he penalized so badly while Shak had no ramifications for missing matches. They both were on the podium last year, so I'm not buying into previous results affecting anything. Stoll only missed Gable in the Big Ten, so he really didn't miss much in the Big ten. Most his misses were early non conference duals, which shouldn't affect him. He can't help it if he isn't scheduled against other guys. It is what it is, but it seems like they pick the criteria for each weight's seeding at their leisure sometimes! Wilke no lower than a 3 and Stoll no lower than a 6 and I agree with everyone else's pre-seeds. My $.02 anyway.
I get your point to an extent and I hate the Rasheed seed. But he is undefeated and Stoll has taken some big losses. Those two aren't apples to apples. I'd like Stoll around 5-6.

I get your point to an extent and I hate the Rasheed seed. But he is undefeated and Stoll has taken some big losses. Those two aren't apples to apples. I'd like Stoll around 5-6.
I agree. Rasheed was dinged up, as is Stoll. If Stoll was healthy I doubt he loses those 2 in the Big ten. If Rasheed wrestled the top guys dinged up he loses too I believe. I could see the logic in Wilke as the 3 and Shakur the 2, but Stoll should be no worse than a 6 by this logic. My only complaint with this is nobody gets penalized for missing big matches, regardless of reasoning. They actually get rewarded for not taking losses in big matches. Doesn't bode well for future regular season big matches I'm afraid!?

Reactions: Exo
Good lord, seedings are for fans? wrestler don't care what there seeded! They wrestle who's in front of them!

This is why Stoll is seeded 8th.

Big10 HWT wins against other seeded HWT

1. Gable Steveson, Minnesota (Jensen, Hilger, Jennings)
  2. Anthony Cassar, Penn State (Singletary, Parris, Jensen, Hilger, Jennings)
  3. Mason Parris, Michigan (Singletary, Hilger)
  4. Trent Hillger, Wisconsin (Singletary, Stoll)
  5. Chase Singletary, Ohio State (Jensen, Jennings, Parris)
  6. Conan Jennings, Northwestern (Parris x2, Hilger)
  7. David Jensen, Nebraska (Stoll, Jennings)
  8. Sam Stoll, Iowa (Jennings)

Let’s do the same for 184

1. Myles Martin, OSU (Venz, Parker, Lyon, Reinhardt)
  2. Shakur Rasheed, PSU (Embree, Reinhardt)
  3. Tyler Venz, NEB (Parker, Reinhardt)
  4. Emery Parker, ILL (Wilcke, Reinhardt)
  5. Cash Wilcke, IOWA (Venz, Reinhardt x 2, Lyon)
  6. Mason Reinhardt, WIS (none)
  7. Jelani Embree, MICH (none)
  8. Max Lyon, PUR (none)
Why is Rasheed 2 and Wilcke 5 using the same logic?

Good lord, seedings are for fans? wrestler don't care what there seeded! They wrestle who's in front of them!
Yes, wrestlers do wrestle whos in front of them, but they do care about seeds. Why else would they even have the seeding process in every sport? Theres a reason for it

Reactions: blcoach80
Let’s do the same for 184

1. Myles Martin, OSU (Venz, Parker, Lyon, Reinhardt)
  2. Shakur Rasheed, PSU (Embree, Reinhardt)
  3. Tyler Venz, NEB (Parker, Reinhardt)
  4. Emery Parker, ILL (Wilcke, Reinhardt)
  5. Cash Wilcke, IOWA (Venz, Reinhardt x 2, Lyon)
  6. Mason Reinhardt, WIS (none)
  7. Jelani Embree, MICH (none)
  8. Max Lyon, PUR (none)
Why is Rasheed 2 and Wilcke 5 using the same logic?

I agree that 184 is off. HWT makes some sense. I would swap Wilcke and Rasheed at 184.

Seams like seeding is dominated by a few coaches who play the you scratch my back I'll scratch yours..wink..wink. There is some absolute walk thru brackets and theres no way to really explain guys missing meets and still getting better seeds.

With as many Iowa alums coaching in the Big 10 as there are, shouldn’t that old-boy network (if true) favor us a little more?

Weird criteria. Ignore any bouts where guys aren’t ranked in our made up rankings. Stoll beat Jennings head to head and Jennings has five losses. Worst case stoll should be 7th, likely 5th.

Reactions: Spicolli
Looks like we'll finally get to see Stoll / Steveson and it's coming early.

For a lot of our guys, wrestlebacks are going to be very important to get good seeding in PA.
Stoll probably gonna get pinned.

He seems like a guy who tried everything he could to get back to a competitive level, couldn't do it, and now will just show up for his team to finish out his final season.

You don't see it in this guy to pull off what he was once capable of, and it's too bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT