ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest game since 2015 BTCG

Hawk94Mn

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2017
With the gophers kicking off at 11 (lol), and most likely losing to PSU, the Iowa/Wisconsin will likely decide the West. When was the last November game that was significant towards the west race that Iowa has been involved in. Obviously PSU and Purdue last year were significant games but still this feels bigger because of the opponent and timing.

The hawks will need a bit of magic but I believe in this defense and I think we will be in this game in the 4th quarter. Talk about an opportunity of a lifetime for Stanley. Going to your home state to play a team you haven’t beat and is holding the proverbial key to the big ten title game. If we beat Wisco, I think we roll Minnesota at home and take a stranglehold on the west. As long as Wisconsin would go on to beat Minnesota, we could even drop a game between Illinois and Nebraska and still hold onto first place.

I know it’s not a likely outcome, I’m just glad we are in this position. Even beating Michigan or PSU would have put us in the same boat we are in now. We have to beat Wisco, in their building, for a right to go to the title game. I’m excited.

Agree it is an excellent opportunity, and at least the players get to experience this build up and know the importance of the game.

As down as I am on the offense, turnovers were the biggest issue in the Michigan and PSU games. Limit or ideally ELIMINATE those and the Hawks will be in a position to at least kick a lot of FGs.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Stanley though - maybe I should say I don't have a lot of confidence in how the coaches position Stanley in these games.

Agree it is an excellent opportunity, and at least the players get to experience this build up and know the importance of the game.

As down as I am on the offense, turnovers were the biggest issue in the Michigan and PSU games. Limit or ideally ELIMINATE those and the Hawks will be in a position to at least kick a lot of FGs.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Stanley though - maybe I should say I don't have a lot of confidence in how the coaches position Stanley in these games.

I really hope we remain aggressive against Wisconsin. The odds of us stringing a 10 or 11 play drive together against them is not likely if even possible with the woes we’ve had. However, we have skill players who can break a game open in Tracy, ISM and Goodson. Hell even Laporta might fit into that mix. We need to score with chunk plays and have zero turnovers. If we put our D in a manageable situation all day I could see the Hawks holding Wisco to 16 or 17 points.

I really hope we remain aggressive against Wisconsin. The odds of us stringing a 10 or 11 play drive together against them is not likely if even possible with the woes we’ve had. However, we have skill players who can break a game open in Tracy, ISM and Goodson. Hell even Laporta might fit into that mix. We need to score with chunk plays and have zero turnovers. If we put our D in a manageable situation all day I could see the Hawks holding Wisco to 16 or 17 points.

The one thing I don't have a feel for with Wisconsin is how one dimensional their offense might be. I don't think they're a team built to come back from a 10 point deficit, but then again I am not sure either team even gets a 10 point lead in this one... usually if the Hawkeye D can make a team one dimensional, they can shut down that one dimension. Turnovers will be a key stat in this one. Maybe all of the bounces that went against Iowa last year in Kinnick will go our way in Madison... (Beyer's foot touching the ball and then that wacky punt return fumble as well by Groenwig or however it is spelled)

2018 at Purdue and the following week at home vs Northwestern.

If Iowa had won both of those games they play for the B1G Championship last season.
Coulda shoulda woulda... don’t be that guy. Until we beat Wiscy.. we’re just ok and still the team that can’t get over the hump. That 2015 schedule was a gift from God and we still couldn’t reach the peak. That being said, this is a chance to bust through.

Reactions: HawkInArk
Coulda shoulda woulda... don’t be that guy. Until we beat Wiscy.. we’re just ok and still the team that can’t get over the hump. That 2015 schedule was a gift from God and we still couldn’t reach the peak. That being said, this is a chance to bust through.

Easy there, Chief. I believe he was answering the OPs question "When was the last November game that was significant towards the west race that Iowa has been involved in?" Turns out it was just last season.

I understand the feeling this game brings, since the road to the BTCG has gone through Madison since the B1G West was formed. However, it was Iowa's performance in November that ultimately cost them the division just last season. Hopefully they can turn it around this year.

Easy there, Chief. I believe he was answering the OPs question "When was the last November game that was significant towards the west race that Iowa has been involved in?" Turns out it was just last season.

I understand the feeling this game brings, since the road to the BTCG has gone through Madison since the B1G West was formed. However, it was Iowa's performance in November that ultimately cost them the division just last season. Hopefully they can turn it around this year.
True enough, and the one time we traveled that championship road, we went to Madtown, and took that game. We can do it again....

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Wisconsin and Iowa are in the same position. Whichever team wins on the 9th in Madison is still alive for the West championship. But both teams will need to beat Minnesota or they probably don't win the division. I expect the Hawkeyes to contend for the West every 2 or 3 years and win it every 5 years. Whoever wins in Madison remains in the hunt, the other team can only play the spoiler.

Pretty simple matchup. If Nate plays great, we win. If he plays Nate Stanley AWFUL-against a good team-when all the lights are shining-win or go home-kind of game-we lose.

You’d have to think coming back to his home state he’d have something for ‘em. I don’t mean to be pessimistic but he hasn’t proven anything when it counts.

With a bye week hopefully this will give Phil Parker a chance to get a little spicier on defense. I would copy some of Ohio State’s gameplan with Chase Young and put Eppy at the Mike sometimes. Fortunately it looks like we actually managed to find some depth at DL the last few weeks where we might be able to make options like that possible.

If I were Phil I’d be practicing all 2 weeks with a bear front with 8/9 in the box, and secondly a cover 1 formation with a 4 man front and the safety aligned as a LB’er in the box as well. Hopefully we have some good scout team RB’s that can give the defense a good look at what’s coming with Taylor.

Lastly, this needs to be the game plan of the year from BF and co. We need to jump out to a relatively big lead, something like 10-14 points ahead. Our defense I believe can get a few stops early to make this happen. But if we don’t want their huge OL leaning into us all day we need to get that lead and make them impatient. That can also lead to Coan making mistakes in the passing game - he’s a pretty mediocre QB - and it could free up Eppy and co to get after the QB and make their offense wilt. Wisconsin is not a team that is built to get off schedule - their OL doesn’t hold up well without the threat of the run as they aren’t fleet of foot and you can upset a big guy’s balance more than a slimmer, more athletic dude.

Reactions: NITE HAWK6
Iowa will win this game. I think this is Stanley’s break out moment and he seizes it. He’s solid and doesn’t buckle leading Iowa to the W.

I just think Iowa’s that good.

Now let’s see it.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn and pmtdc
The interior ol in your terms has shit the bed worse than Nate. I’d be willing to bet a lot of people would be talking about Nate a little different around here if the interior ol was as good as it usually is.
Unfortunately its been awhile since the OL as a whole has been that good. A couple of years ago we were stout in the middle and subpar at tackle. Injuries have also kept the Hawks from developing a cohesive unit this season. Hoping this bye week will give them more time to find a group that can gell together. As always, it all starts up front for Iowa. Stanley and the run game will only be as good as that unit provides.

The difference to the game is if our interior linemen can communicate and stop the A gap blitzes. Wisky loves to do them and has done it effectively against us for years. They love to put pressure in the face of the QB.
Stop that effectively and we win.

Unfortunately its been awhile since the OL as a whole has been that good. A couple of years ago we were stout in the middle and subpar at tackle. Injuries have also kept the Hawks from developing a cohesive unit this season. Hoping this bye week will give them more time to find a group that can gell together. As always, it all starts up front for Iowa. Stanley and the run game will only be as good as that unit provides.
Yep. It’s beeen great inside or out but all the same time has been a few years. I’m with you on the bye week. It would be amazing to See the ol dona great job and come out of Madison with a win!

If nothing else, Iowa is due.

maybe that will be the swing factor. Iowa can definitely hang with the Badgers.

This game won't decide the west because whoever wins will still need to beat Minnesota to win the division.

I watched the first half (only, haven't had time to watch the rest) of Wisconsin at OSU. The badgers convincingly made the osu offense look very similar to 2017 Iowa both run and pass outside the td pass by osu at the half. Wisky's defense runs and tackles very well at all levels, very impressive. They got to Fields repeatedly. The good news imo is that the badgers were playing as well as they possibly can while making no mistakes.

The keys for Iowa imo will be for our D to keep Wisky at bay while on offense we do not turn over the ball. Stanley will take some sacks but it's won't be end of the world, just do not give Wisky a short field. If we do these we have a shot.

I watched the first half (only, haven't had time to watch the rest) of Wisconsin at OSU. The badgers convincingly made the osu offense look very similar to 2017 Iowa both run and pass outside the td pass by osu at the half. Wisky's defense runs and tackles very well at all levels, very impressive. They got to Fields repeatedly. The good news imo is that the badgers were playing as well as they possibly can while making no mistakes.

The keys for Iowa imo will be for our D to keep Wisky at bay while on offense we do not turn over the ball. Stanley will take some sacks but it's won't be end of the world, just do not give Wisky a short field. If we do these we have a shot.

I imagine Iowa will try to shorten drop backs and get the ball out quicker against Wisconsin.

I imagine Iowa will try to shorten drop backs and get the ball out quicker against Wisconsin.
Yes, hope we can even complete a slant or more. At the same time have to risk/sneak in the occasional chunk play like another poster said. We are not built to methodically grind our way down the field against wisky considering we haven't against many of our previous opponenets.

True enough, and the one time we traveled that championship road, we went to Madtown, and took that game. We can do it again....
Yes, but you could hardly call that game a resounding Iowa victory. If not for a bad snap at the worst possible time, Wisconsin scores what would have been the game winner on that drive. Just like in 2015, we are going to need a disproportionate number of breaks go our way. I’m not saying we can’t do it, but we are going to have to play our best game all season and hope Wisconsin plays one of their worst. Possible? Yes, but those two things don’t often happen for us in Madison.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Thank God for the bye. Wisconsin the last few years seems to get in stanley’s head. And their blitz packages seem to screw with us. Last year there is no doubt we were better but managed to snag defeat from the jaws of victory. The year before was Stanley’s worst game. The problem is with a fairly porous running game Stanley needs to be really good borderline great to win in Madtown. I don’t know I would put a lot of money on that proposition. Hope I am wrong.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I disagree about Iowa’s victory in 2015. It was not a fumbled snap but a great play by Iowa’s D’line. I believe it was Meyer that blasted the guard and knocked him into the Wisc. qb. Iowa was great on D that day, also had a few big runs to keep drives going. That victory was not a fluke.

I disagree about Iowa’s victory in 2015. It was not a fumbled snap but a great play by Iowa’s D’line. I believe it was Meyer that blasted the guard and knocked him into the Wisc. qb. Iowa was great on D that day, also had a few big runs to keep drives going. That victory was not a fluke.
it was a fluke play IIRC, but I also believe they had the same type of play earlier in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT