ADVERTISEMENT

Bill to ban TikTok introduced in the House

Don't know if it's true, but I read where it can launch bots from your network to facilitate DDOS attacks.

If true, that's reason enough.

Don't know if it's true, but I read where it can launch bots from your network to facilitate DDOS attacks.

If true, that's reason enough.
It might be able to. The best thing for china is all of the televisions, device controllers and other such tech that is low grade but easily affordable that people put on their networks. That hardware is creating quite the swarm of badness that could cause problems.

Just remember, no bills get proposed or passed without the say so from lobbyists and donors... so whoever stands to gain the most in terms of $ and power is who's really behind this bill.

Conspiracy theories routinely fall apart when you put much of a thought and research into them.

People put way too much complexity into their "the government is corrupt" conspiracy theories. The government is corrupt but their corruption is pretty out in the open in the "what you gonna do about it?" sort of way. And their corruption pretty much goes along the lines of the Aliens in the Simpsons. It's a 2 party system and both parties want to be corrupt, what you gonna do about it?

For example I unfortunately know some people who believe in conspiracy theories about the government hiding microchips in an attempt to track you. These people very confidently post these conspiracy theories from their smart phone hooked up to GPS. The government isn't hiding microchips in your vaccines or your underwear to track you moron, they can do that through your smartphone, it's an undisputed fact that they can track your smartphone, and we've all paid for it from our own personal funds.

But these people believe in this stuff with little to no thought because it makes them feel good to believe they are in possession of some uber secret knowledge that most people don't know about.
My neighbor was all in on Q... Haven't heard her mention anything crazy in a while but with an election coming up I'm sure it'll start again...

I'll report back.

The forced sale aspect doesn’t sit well with me. Bringing it in house? Eh, not like I completely trust Google, Facebook, X or those other huge companies.

Reminds me of the scene in Animal House when Otter says “They can’t do that to our pledges…only we can do that to our pledges!”

Hilarious how both Mace and MTG voted "No". And likely only because Turd is on record as being opposed to this proposed legislation.

I guess both are hoping Noem turns down the veep selection and DJT turns to one of them?
Dear Baby Jesus please do not let this happen. 🤯

Reactions: MitchLL
Still don’t have a clear reason.

“Concern for user data annd targeted undue influence.” But the bots and Russian troll farms are all good on Twitter? Cambridge Analytic la and Facebook?

Still don’t have a clear reason.

“Concern for user data annd targeted undue influence.” But the bots and Russian troll farms are all good on Twitter? Cambridge Analytic la and Facebook?
I do wonder if the bipartisan vote is the result of security information not available to the great unwashed (regular citizens)??

The forced sale aspect doesn’t sit well with me. Bringing it in house? Eh, not like I completely trust Google, Facebook, X or those other huge companies.

Reminds me of the scene in Animal House when Otter says “They can’t do that to our pledges…only we can do that to our pledges!”
That gets back to my argument about conflating multiple arguments. This would likely deal, to some extent, with the foreign ownership situation (though how many component parts of all these systems are also Chinese manufactured?) but if anyone arguing against TikTok sees a sale to a US tech company as a privacy win, that’s insane.

Tik Tok's content isn't controlled by the CCP.
I’ve never used it. Only seen them posted here, or embedded in tweets posted here.
But I did have a friend tell me that in China it is videos of useful DIYs, etc. while in the States the algorithm pushes addictive, mindless pablum.
I have zero idea the veracity of the claim, and never researched it in the least, but I do wonder how you think you’d actually know if the CCP was influencing how the algorithm worked in different regions?
Many people didn’t believe our government was trying to influence content and content providers on social media, and some would rather shoot the messenger than examine the evidence that has come to light about how they have sought to manipulate public thought in these mediums.

I’ve never used it. Only seen them posted here, or embedded in tweets posted here.
But I did have a friend tell me that in China it is videos of useful DIYs, etc. while in the States the algorithm pushes addictive, mindless pablum.
I have zero idea the veracity of the claim, and never researched it in the least, but I do wonder how you think you’d actually know if the CCP was influencing how the algorithm worked in different regions?
Many people didn’t believe our government was trying to influence content and content providers on social media, and some would rather shoot the messenger than examine the evidence that has come to light about how they have sought to manipulate public thought in these mediums.

I think it would be super easy to deploy different types of propaganda on TikTok especially with the "for you page" and setting the algorithm to work some stuff to form opinion into a person's page and to people in their friend list. Which could be used to slowly change public opinion to various degrees. I believe that our government not having direct influence on the foreign social media app is the actual issue in their eyes. I do not think it is a coincidence that this bill passed the House while TikTok was hosting a lot of free Palestine type content. That's my tinfoil for the day.

What's so incredible about it? Funny sped-up dance videos? Shorts? No details, just get to the point?

Seems like an app for people with very short attention spans. Not useful for anything, really.

*old man yells at cloud....
I don’t know. Reducing the already short attention span of the average American would make it even easier to influence their ‘thinking’ with 15 second propaganda clips.

Benefits the uniparty, methinks. :rolleyes:

I think this will run afoul of the 1A. There is obviously a government interest here but banning the app is not a remedy narrowly tailored to accomplish the government’s interest. But we’ll see with this court. Alito may come up with a crazy new test.
It empowers the president to ban websites.
How long before that power is exercised in this war or the next?
So do they get knocked down on that, but keep the foreign owned app ban?
I think the overreach was intentional, and if it goes through, then that much easier to manage ‘disinformation’.

Reactions: Moral
I wonder how TikTok compares with Facebook, X, Truth Social and the like - including HROT - on quantity of hate speech and disinformation.

I don't use most of those social media, but it sounds like we're banning the silly one instead of the dangerous or nasty ones.

Our excuse can't honestly be that TikTok gathers personal information. Sure they do. So do all the others. I expect the real reason may be that TikTok doesn't share the personal information they gather with our government and our big business.

It empowers the president to ban websites.
How long before that power is exercised in this war or the next?
So do they get knocked down on that, but keep the foreign owned app ban?
I think the overreach was intentional, and if it goes through, then that much easier to manage ‘disinformation’.
So the president is banning tik tok? I must have missed that caveat.

So the president is banning tik tok? I must have missed that caveat.
TikTok is more the stalking horse for a much broader grant of power to the president.
This is from the earlier bill, not sure if this language is carried over exactly as it was being voted on this weekend.

7RrziIg.jpeg

Last edited:
TikTok is more the stalking horse for a much broader grant of power to the president.
This is from the earlier bill, not sure if this language is carried over exactly it was was being voted on this weekend.

7RrziIg.jpeg
Thanks. That seems clear enough. Can someone with better googling skills than mine find out if that's still in the bill. I'm assuming it is, because that seems reasonably stated, if that's what you want to do.

I'd like to see the section that defines "foreign" (or "foreign adversary").

Is there any language in there about domestic adversaries?

Reactions: Moral and ericram
I think this will run afoul of the 1A. There is obviously a government interest here but banning the app is not a remedy narrowly tailored to accomplish the government’s interest. But we’ll see with this court. Alito may come up with a crazy new test.
IF - only IF - they’ll loosen up and show/prove how China is using it to infiltrate and influence mindless fat girls with nose rings and pink hair it might get by as a matter of national security but then they’d also reveal how they can easily find out everything about any and all of us.
AND by the way raise the question of how we are doing the same to them.
Cause we are. We better be. 🇺🇸 😏

I wonder how TikTok compares with Facebook, X, Truth Social and the like - including HROT - on quantity of hate speech and disinformation.

I don't use most of those social media, but it sounds like we're banning the silly one instead of the dangerous or nasty ones.

Our excuse can't honestly be that TikTok gathers personal information. Sure they do. So do all the others. I expect the real reason may be that TikTok doesn't share the personal information they gather with our government and our big business.
If you use FB there are already a lot of TT things on there, especially if you do Reels.

Thanks. That seems clear enough. Can someone with better googling skills than mine find out if that's still in the bill. I'm assuming it is, because that seems reasonably stated, if that's what you want to do.

I'd like to see the section that defines "foreign" (or "foreign adversary").

Is there any language in there about domestic adversaries?
I think the “determined by the President” part is going to be the key.

Reactions: Moral
None of us know the innerworkings of what China can or can't do through Tik Tok, but I doubt that the 99.99% of people understand the information that can and is gathered by using their cell phones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT