ADVERTISEMENT

Bono to Wisconsin

For being the HC Barry just wasn’t visible. He wasn’t at the state tournament, no social media, and don’t see him in the summer for freestyle/Greco. Bono will be much more visible and create some excitement.

Here is the link that I found the actual numbers, although they perfectly back up the story that I was told.

Link

It's interesting that this all came up because this was a conversation that I had just this season with someone very close to the program. I went back and forth after that conversation about whether Barry would be done there soon. The message that I got was that Barry was very frustrated with the situation. That he wasn't being put in a position to compete anymore, and that UW really didn't care about there sports programs anymore, and were just trying to be an Ivy League type institution.

Some little loopholes in this.
We typically see unweighted, academic GPAs between a 3.8 and a 4.0
Admitted students will typically score between 28-32 on the ACT
Numbers alone do not determine admissibility. We look for students with special or unique talents, who give of themselves, and who learn outside the classroom as well as inside.

Difficult but some areas where Barry can be generous or can be difficult.

Here is the link that I found the actual numbers, although they perfectly back up the story that I was told.

Link

It's interesting that this all came up because this was a conversation that I had just this season with someone very close to the program. I went back and forth after that conversation about whether Barry would be done there soon. The message that I got was that Barry was very frustrated with the situation. That he wasn't being put in a position to compete anymore, and that UW really didn't care about there sports programs anymore, and were just trying to be an Ivy League type institution.

Thanks for that. I had heard they were high, but I had no idea they were that high. It makes what they have done in football and basketball even more impressive, although I have a hard time believing all of those players met those qualifications. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: wasdt21
Let’s say Morningstar is the new coach. Who do we bring on board for his replacement? What is Morningstars current salary? I say we go get metcalf and bring him back for the middle weights.

No. Perry would be a much, much, much better addition.

With McD I’d say it’s not in the cards right now with him having very young kidss

Yeah we have not commonly had coaches with young kids. Wut?

I find it hysterical anyone is buying the BS that Wisconsin athletes need a 3.8 and a 28. Lmao

I find it hysterical anyone is buying the BS that Wisconsin athletes need a 3.8 and a 28. Lmao
I respect you as a poster Spooner, so I'd like to know whether you specifically know that WRESTLERS get admitted with lower scores. Those were the scores that I was told, as best as I can remember, and verified on their website.

I was not given a name, and again, the numbers are from memory, and second hand anyway, but I was told that they had a verbal commit from a top recruit with a 25 ACT and 3.0+ GPA, and could not get him in. Maybe there were other issues as well, I don't know.

Also, as another poster pointed out, it's well documented that that was the reason Gary Anderson gave for leaving.

Last edited:
I respect you as a poster Spooner, so I'd like to know whether you specifically know that WRESTLERS get admitted with lower scores. Those were the scores that I was told, as best as I can remember, and verified on their website.

I was not given a name, and again, the numbers are from memory, and second hand anyway, but I was told that they had a verbal commit from a top recruit with a 25 ACT and 3.0+ GPA, and could not get him in. Maybe there were other issues as well, I don't know.

Also, as another poster pointed out, it's well documented that that was the reason Gary Anderson gave for leaving.

I'm not trying to be a dick but do you have something that backs up your claim that wrestlers are held to one standard and football players another?

Wisconsin, like much of the rest of the B1G has some additional limits and restrictions that other schools don't have. That's why Gary left. Not sure what it has to do with wrestling.

IMO if M* left, Iowa would want to hold a reunion with Ramos. Recruits loves Ramos and he will put the work in. Look at the recruits that have made their way to UNC. Would be a good equivalent to M* IMO. Has some outside perspective now and I would think his competition days esp. at 57kg are almost done. Thoughts?

Doubt it. Ramos talked a lot of trash on his way out. Plus, do we really need another lightweight coach with TnT in the room?

If Morningstar leaves and Iowa is looking to hire a Hawk alum middleweight coach, DSJ would be my guy.

He's a sneaky good recruiter. He was the main guy that got ISU in the Carr sweepstakes when he was not even looking at ISU.

And he is a helluva nice kid

If Morningstar leaves and Iowa is looking to hire a Hawk alum middleweight coach, DSJ would be my guy.

He's a sneaky good recruiter. He was the main guy that got ISU in the Carr sweepstakes when he was not even looking at ISU.

And he is a helluva nice kid
You seriously actually believe that is how Carr got recruited by ISU?

Not to rag on DSJ, but there was likely some other motivation with bringing Nate Carr to the Ames RTC. There's no way in hell that was a coincidence. But believe what you want.

I'm the skeptic that thinks the family draw had more to do with Carr suddenly committing to ISU.

You seriously actually believe that is how Carr got recruited by ISU?

Not to rag on DSJ, but there was likely some other motivation with bringing Nate Carr to the Ames RTC. There's no way in hell that was a coincidence. But believe what you want.

I'm the skeptic that thinks the family draw had more to do with Carr suddenly committing to ISU.
You seriously have no clue what you are talking about here. That seems to be a theme with ISU and you.

Reactions: Kinnick JD.MPA
You seriously have no clue what you are talking about here. That seems to be a theme with ISU and you.
I usually don’t agree with Mitch’s takes, in fact I never do but I do have a hard time believing DSJ was the one that put ISU in the Carr sweepstakes when both his dad and brother went there. I think even if KJ was still the coach he would’ve gave them a look

I don't know how long you've been a forum contributor, but if you would care going back to the day KJ was hired... you might have a different opinion of my opinions and predictions about ISU and their wrestling program. I have one very good friend that is a big ISU fan and I have been able to form other POVs from following that cluster%#@$.

I've been correct many more times than I've been wrong. You would have enjoyed reading the dialogue I had with Daddy Meeks back in the day.:p He went ballistic on more than one occasion.

G Steveson going to OTC:
just-kidding-liov8a.jpg

I usually don’t agree with Mitch’s takes, in fact I never do but I do have a hard time believing DSJ was the one that put ISU in the Carr sweepstakes when both his dad and brother went there. I think even if KJ was still the coach he would’ve gave them a look
It was all but done he was going to be a buckeye. ISU wasn’t even going to get a visit, until DSJ went to Ohio and they hit it off. That convinced him to visit and their relationship was a huge factor in him becoming a cyclone.

I haven’t posted a bunch of bs in this thread and I’m not now. Horses mouth, believe it if you want or not.

Reactions: Dagboi

Or non athletes for that matter.

Reactions: Dagboi
Tigerguy and west2east, any updates on the search? Any candidates no longer candidates?
From what I was told yesterday, interviews are getting lined up and background checks etc. But there are people throwing their hat in the ring still, which I find odd, but I don't know how long the application is open for.

I am under the impression they were blindsided by Bono this year after thinking they had it taken care of last year after Minnesota.

Still am hearing it's Hahn at 1, Schopp at 2 (which I don't think he is ready for) and Morningstar

Reactions: WF89
Doubt that M* gets the job and leaves, but if he did, priority one for a replacement should be a personable, tireless recruiter with cred. Would be great if it was a middle weight that can roll with the guys, but it's almost all about the recruiting (which is why I wish Perry were also on the staff).

Bet who?? We get it, you called the Hahn hire... Along with a slew of others in the wrestling community. Congratulations??
Well @west2east called it the morning I posted Bono to Wisconsin while if you look the day Bono left, I didn't see Hahn's name mentioned at all. And Flo was way late to the party.

And I had people that messaged me that wanted to bet it wasn't Hahn. That was meant for them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT