ADVERTISEMENT

Brady Berge

It does appear that the ref was slow and too far away from the action to be in a position of injury prevention. Not a A for officiating, not an F either - D to C- range from me. You would think better for an International event.
When do you think he went out?

It does appear that the ref was slow and too far away from the action to be in a position of injury prevention. Not a A for officiating, not an F either - D to C- range from me. You would think better for an International event.

I think she was a little slow, but in fairness it was a little hard to tell since Brady's opponent had him locked.

When do you think he went out?
5:04 mark and the ref should have been stopping it no later than the 5:08 mark. Sometimes focus can be more directed at looking for the tilt than seeing if all is OK. The collision seemed hard to spot to me where as most times it is very obvious.

Wow. I will try and stay away from the blame game. But he was out no 2 ways. He was flat limp. Don’t know about the ref or coaches stopping it but dear God I hope he is OK. And Texas won’t argue but the body still functions a little when knocked out cold. I think the opponent was just so shocked he had no resistance so took him a bit to finish. His opponent’s face at the end was like what happened.

Reactions: Inthecircle
I knew he was knocked out before I watched the video and I had trouble telling the exact point he lost consciousness. I had to rewind and watch it again to clearly see it.
That's fair and me too, but after 1 rewatch it's pretty clear isn't it?

Hope he is okay, bad job by the ref all day despite what Twister seems to think. I wish we had video of his coaches blowing up more on the official, I certainly don't blame them for it

A video from the other angle might make things clearer- can anyone tell me what the coaches(?) on the opposite side were signaling? It didn't look like they were indicating he needed medical attention, but I don't know the hand signals at all.

Whatever the ref did or didn't see and when, Brady's corner saw it from the across other end of the mat and threw the brick to draw attention. No question the ref was very slow to recognize the situation. Maybe she was fixated on the tilt. A learning experience for sure, but far from outright incompetence. A blessing for all it wasn't more serious.

Just watched it again... A full 11 seconds before the whistle and I really think the whistle came as a result of the brick probably bouncing off of her... Definitely a bad look and a learning moment but not a confidence builder at a world event. I think we can all expect better.

Last edited:
Reactions: sstark46
I got my @ss knocked out and pinned in a match before.

All I remember was that when my head hit the mat everything went black and I couldn't move my body. When the ref blew the whistle for the pin it was incredibly loud and it continued to ring loudly until they put the smelling salts in front of my nose to wake me up. A doctor that was watching in the stands was on the mat when I came to and I remember him saying that when he saw my head bounce he knew I was out. While the doctor knew right away, the ref didn't have a clue until the kid got off of me. It happens.

Side note: KCRG went on to do a nice expose on the match and my high school coach thought it a good idea to get a shot of me laying on the mat with the camera blurred and then to call out Dan, Dan, Dan, wake up.... to then have the blurred camera vision become clear. My future college roommate got a hold of said ridiculous segment and would play it for our lady guests from time to time. Or he would sometimes call out Dan, Dan, Dan in a unsurprisingly similar manner while I was hungover and trying to sleep.

Graurav knew exactly what happened and when. I don't want to say stop wrestling or give in, but in those circumstances, maybe you do.

I accidentally knocked a kid out in a tourney and it scared the shit out of me. I knew exactly what happened and stopped. I'm sure part of it was gut reaction, but still.

With that said, the officials need to do better. That went on way too long.

Hope he is okay, bad job by the ref all day despite what Twister seems to think. I wish we had video of his coaches blowing up more on the official, I certainly don't blame them for it
I did not watch any of the matches, not even Berge's. I just skipped forward to the incident. I did not comment on any of the officiating other than the ref not being quicker to stop the match. I gave that ref a D - C- score for that 20 second period I saw. Please know what you are talking about next before you comment so that I will at least give the benefit of doubt concerning your intelligence. Just sayin'.

Whatever the ref did or didn't see and when, Brady's corner saw it from the across other end of the mat and threw the brick to draw attention. No question the ref was very slow to recognize the situation. Maybe she was fixated on the tilt. A learning experience for sure, but far from outright incompetence. A blessing for all it wasn't more serious.

Just watched it again... A full 11 seconds before the whistle and I really think the whistle came as a result of the brick probably bouncing off of her... Definitely a bad look and a learning moment but not a confidence builder at a world event. I think we can all expect better.

Plus the medics got on there hella fast.

He gets get well soons on HR, but if it were a hawkeye (Stoll for instance) they would be making fun of him for several years over it. And they call HR the cesspool

False. "They" most certainly would not make fun of Stoll for getting knocked unconscious while representing his country in a wrestling match.

Posts like yours are what lead to the cesspool rep.

Reactions: SJP80 and pish69
False. "They" most certainly would not make fun of Stoll for getting knocked unconscious while representing his country in a wrestling match.

Ehhh some for sure would. I’d rather be knocked out than shot...wink wink.

Ehhh some for sure would. I’d rather be knocked out than shot...wink wink.

Name some then. But don't confuse yourself by comparing Berge's situation to what Stoll & Turk did, as there is no comparison. Who would make fun of Stoll for being knocked unconscious during a U23'swrestling match?

Name some then. But don't confuse yourself by comparing Berge's situation to what Stoll & Turk did, as there is no comparison. Who would make fun of Stoll for being knocked unconscious during a U23'swrestling match?
I don’t go on that site anymore. I think I went on it twice in the past 12-16 months maybe but not at all before that for a while. Bwi made fun of stoll being shot. I don’t care where, or who or what happened, I’d rather be KO’d than shot. Even rather knocked out on national television than shot in a crumby garage. If someone is willing to make fun of a guy who was shot, I’m pretty sure those same people would make fun of him for getting knocked unconscious. I don’t think you would but some would. And those who would aren’t bright enough to consider a young man is representing our country or that someone may or may not have been drinking or whatever else (don’t pretend to know). Be serious. You can’t take the high road for them when they made fun of a guy who had multiple operations and at least one on that same knee that was shot when the guy just wanted to compete his senior year. There wasn’t any sympathy then, why would you expect some to be shown now? Makes zero sense. I like most of your posts but not this one. Disagree 100%.

I don’t go on that site anymore. I think I went on it twice in the past 12-16 months maybe but not at all before that for a while. Bwi made fun of stoll being shot. I don’t care where, or who or what happened, I’d rather be KO’d than shot. Even rather knocked out on national television than shot in a crumby garage. If someone is willing to make fun of a guy who was shot, I’m pretty sure those same people would make fun of him for getting knocked unconscious. I don’t think you would but some would. And those who would aren’t bright enough to consider a young man is representing our country or that someone may or may not have been drinking or whatever else (don’t pretend to know). Be serious. You can’t take the high road for them when they made fun of a guy who had multiple operations and at least one on that same knee that was shot when the guy just wanted to compete his senior year. There wasn’t any sympathy then, why would you expect some to be shown now? Makes zero sense. I like most of your posts but not this one. Disagree 100%.

The types of injuries have nothing to do with it. The circumstances do.

No one made fun of Stoll for his ACL tear at Nationals a few years back. But getting shot in the knee by a teammate during some 3 AM "prank gone awry"? Yeah, once it was determined to not be life-threatening, or even season-ending, people were going to be critical and crack jokes over the lack of discipline and judgment. Especially after Stoll lied to police without consequence.

The nobility of the circumstance is meaningful when people want to "make fun" of others' plight.

The types of injuries have nothing to do with it. The circumstances do.

No one made fun of Stoll for his ACL tear at Nationals a few years back. But getting shot in the knee by a teammate during some 3 AM "prank gone awry"? Yeah, once it was determined to not be life-threatening, or even season-ending, people were going to be critical and crack jokes over the lack of discipline and judgment. Especially after Stoll lied to police without consequence.

The nobility of the circumstance is meaningful when people want to "make fun" of others' plight.
Nobody knew about the lying and jokes were already being made. Bwi, like HR, is not all peaches and cream. Far from it. You honestly think there aren’t people on bwi who would make fun of stoll or any other wrestler getting knocked out in a match? You’re crazy. I don’t know why you’re fighting it so hard. There are dimwits on all message boards who didn’t and don’t care about the details surrounding someone getting hurt. They just find joy in the other teams pain and poke fun. I’m surprised nobody on here got a kick out of Berge’s misfortune...or maybe they did and there’s still time to show it. But whatever, you think the posters on bwi are too noble to make fun of that situation and I don’t think any message board is devoid of insensitive pricks. Meh.

. . . You honestly think there aren’t people on bwi who would make fun of stoll or any other wrestler getting knocked out in a match? You're crazy . . .

I've never seen anyone on that board make fun of a wrestler for incurring a head injury in a wrestling match. Unless you can show me examples, I'll continue to honestly think people aren't doing it. And that goes for wrestling boards in general, though I can vouch for only a couple.

I've never seen anyone on that board make fun of a wrestler for incurring a head injury in a wrestling match. Unless you can show me examples, I'll continue to honestly think people aren't doing it. And that goes for wrestling boards in general, though I can vouch for only a couple.
How about a gun shot wound? Want some examples of that? I think you’re missing the point. Did someone suffer a head injury from Iowa on camera that I don’t know about? When one does, I’ll go on bwi and get back to you.

There were posters saying they couldn't wait until Cassar wrestled Stoll so he could tear up his leg. You have some real d bags that post over there. They take every opportunity to take "shot" jokes about him too. Wether or not he is wrestling for his country or for a rival. The comments over there are in horrible taste.

There were posters saying they couldn't wait until Cassar wrestled Stoll so he could tear up his leg. You have some real d bags that post over there. They take every opportunity to take "shot" jokes about him too. Wether or not he is wrestling for his country or for a rival. The comments over there are in horrible taste.

Your initial claim was that if what happened to Berge had happened to a Hawkeye, they would make fun of him for several years over it.

You reach that conclusion because you think you recall posters saying that they couldn't wait for Cassar to tear up Stoll's leg? If you want to provide examples of such posts, I suppose we can discuss that subject, too.

But you still haven't substantiated your first claim. If you can find examples of posters making fun of Stoll for his in-match ACL tear (a more apples-to-apples comparison to Berge's situation), then I'll rescind my initial response and apologize for it.

Your initial claim was that if what happened to Berge had happened to a Hawkeye, they would make fun of him for several years over it.

You reach that conclusion because you think you recall posters saying that they couldn't wait for Cassar to tear up Stoll's leg? If you want to provide examples of such posts, I suppose we can discuss that subject, too.

But you still haven't substantiated your first claim. If you can find examples of posters making fun of Stoll for his in-match ACL tear (a more apples-to-apples comparison to Berge's situation), then I'll rescind my initial response and apologize for it.

The posters on BWI make fun of all things Iowa all the time. Stoll in particular.You obviously don't listen to what people on here are saying. I don't care if they made fun of him for tearing his acl or not, i do care that they taunt a kid who has already had tough luck for having something bad happen to him and all but losing his senior season. I could name a half dozen posters on BWI that offer absolutely no insight into wrestling at all, all they do is talk crap about Iowa on every thread they post on. I don't venture there often, but when i do i see almost no Iowa posters, and a ton of posts crapping on Iowa/HR. For a team that has won that many titles in the last decade, your fanbase is the most disgusting, whiny, insecure idiots i've ever seen. It's no coincidence that Iowa posters don't go there, but you guys have almost as many posters over here as we do. Look at us, look at us!!

You are full of BS. I cannot give you a name but I will describe the poster Bloodrazor is referencing.... recently joined (within days), almost no posts or likes and a semi derogatory name. Soon screen name is deleted. Troll criteria

You are correct....the ref did nothing wrong......lack of doing.... that was the problem....error of omission.... should have done something IMO. It was not subtle... kid was flopping like rag doll. Not difficult. Even the coaches from opposite angle saw and threw brick before ref interceded.
As a guy who has officiated a bit, it is easy to be looking for something else and overlook the obvious. No one would expect a guy to be knocked out on that shot. So the ref is looking at shoulder blades and trying to put up points as he sees them accrue. I would guess he was not being malicious and he does not want to see people hurt.
Also, take into account that we are sitting in front of a computer and watching the action right in front of us while we have been told ahead of time what happened. The ref is moving and getting into position to score the points in real time with no idea of what has just happened.
In case you are wondering why there is a shortage of refs, this thread may help explain it.

Don't think I would've caught it. What it is like 5-6 seconds after the TD that he the fall is called? The impact on Berge's shot didn't appear alarming and then he reaches back to defend the go behind(perhaps on instinct). Unless the ref was looking at Brady's face, it'd be hard to tell that he was definitely out in that short amount of time.

Reactions: HoundedHawk
Don't think I would've caught it. What it is like 5-6 seconds after the TD that he the fall is called? The impact on Berge's shot didn't appear alarming and then he reaches back to defend the go behind(perhaps on instinct). Unless the ref was looking at Brady's face, it'd be hard to tell that he was definitely out in that short amount of time.
His body was completely limp. Arms and head flopping loosely. Should have been caught in 2-3 seconds tops.

Just shut up and go away....

Reactions: armbartilt
You're going top have to show this one. I call bullshit.

I'm not going to dig through year old posts on your board, and i don give a crap what you "call"
Just because you idiots have the spare time to scroll through another teams message board looking to brag or something to be outraged about doesn't mean i do

After watching the replay a number of times, I think his arm got slung back by the twisting action of the guy on top pulling him down. It looked like his head was already sagging at that point. If you look at his hand, his fingers were limp and not trying to grab on. I think he was out very soon after the attempt at a take down although you can't see his head hit the leg/knee.

As a guy who has officiated a bit, it is easy to be looking for something else and overlook the obvious. No one would expect a guy to be knocked out on that shot. So the ref is looking at shoulder blades and trying to put up points as he sees them accrue. I would guess he was not being malicious and he does not want to see people hurt.
Also, take into account that we are sitting in front of a computer and watching the action right in front of us while we have been told ahead of time what happened. The ref is moving and getting into position to score the points in real time with no idea of what has just happened.
In case you are wondering why there is a shortage of refs, this thread may help explain it.

I agree with you with one caveat...the first priority of the ref SHOULD be safety.... second is making the right call. The excuse that she was looking at the shoulders etc does not relive her of her primary duty. I agree the timing was off with a delay in his loss of consciousness but injury can happen any time with manipulation of head and neck -- carotid dissection stroke etc. I rarely if ever crack on referees (esp since i can barely keep up in real time anymore ) as it is a part of the sport but when it comes to safety I am a big critic of any carelessness incapacity or neglect. She was neglecting her primary duty for whatever reason. Fortunately no one was hurt. I am thankful for that.

You are full of BS. I cannot give you a name but I will describe the poster Bloodrazor is referencing.... recently joined (within days), almost no posts or likes and a semi derogatory name. Soon screen name is deleted. Troll criteria

Just shut up and go away....

I'm not going to dig through year old posts on your board, and i don give a crap what you "call"
Just because you idiots have the spare time to scroll through another teams message board looking to brag or something to be outraged about doesn't mean i do

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please! Why don’t you settle this the old fashion way?

tapemeasure.JPG

After watching the replay a number of times, I think his arm got slung back by the twisting action of the guy on top pulling him down. It looked like his head was already sagging at that point. If you look at his hand, his fingers were limp and not trying to grab on.

Bollywood is going to do a feature about it but there are some Copyright issues pending.

Weekend at Berge's!

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT