ADVERTISEMENT

Brands Talks About Spencer And His Return

Certainly they will be rolling out top recruits at 141, 149, 157, and 165. That being said, until I see something different, I do not see many points at NCAAs out of any of these weights.
I think they could score big at 141 with Bartlett. I don't think he's great, but that weight is garbage. Like the worst I've seen in a long time. They could also score at 157 if they roll out Haines. I don't think that's a great weight either. I don't think either is elite right now. It's more about the composition of the weights.

Reactions: comment1283
Hate to say it, but PSU with their 4 returning champs are firmly in the driver's seat
I agree but things can certainly change. I think Hawks were considered in drivers seat by most last year to repeat until they weren't.

I honestly hope people didn't buy season tickets planning to see Spencer wrestle in dual meets this year. My guess is he has fewer than 5 matches going into big 10s.

Reactions: hawkeyejr
I think they could score big at 141 with Bartlett. I don't think he's great, but that weight is garbage. Like the worst I've seen in a long time. They could also score at 157 if they roll out Haines. I don't think that's a great weight either. I don't think either is elite right now. It's more about the composition of the weights.
I don't know about big, but I could see Bartlett somewhere from 5th-8th. Woods and Matthews are legit. Hart is going to be really good. After that, I still think highly of Alirez and Carlson. The big test will be how Bartlett does against Bergeland and D'Emilio. Those 2 are probably the gatekeeper types in the R12 matches to make AA.

With that said, I think you are selling 157 short. There may not be a super elite guy with Carr gone, but a fully healthy O'Connor could be. Andonian could very well prove to be as well. After that Teemer is legit. Robb, Humphreys, Gfeller, Scott, Lewan and Franek are all very solid AA types. Finally, a fully healthy Brayton Lee could be right at the top tier of this weight.

Haines may very well prove to be a stud, but he won't be AAing because its a weak weight. He will have to beat legit AA types to get there...

Yeah, not mentioned much but that stood out to me as well. Brands goes on and on about Spencer in March and then boom at the end we love Bradley Hill. So random

Wait...what? The linked article isn't a Tom Brands interview with a chronological order of his comments. It's an article about an event in the Quad Cities. His statements are intertwined with commentary and info on the upcoming season. Hill is from the QC so it only stands to reason that he was part of the discussion at some point at this event. If you have an issue, it's with Steve Batterson not Tom Brands. And really, there was nothing random at all about the Hill comments.

This shouldn't have to be explained to anyone. I feel like I'm on Sesame Street.

Wait...what? The linked article isn't a Tom Brands interview with a chronological order of his comments. It's an article about an event in the Quad Cities. His statements are intertwined with commentary and info on the upcoming season. Hill is from the QC so it only stands to reason that he was part of the discussion at some point at this event. If you have an issue, it's with Steve Batterson not Tom Brands. And really, there was nothing random at all about the Hill comments.

This shouldn't have to be explained to anyone. I feel like I'm on Sesame Street.
Yo… I call garbage can…

Reactions: natchrlman
@PinDoxRico - Friendly unsolicited advice, don't say anything.
Ha nothing really to say about this other than if true, I hope he recovers ok. I’ve been in a scary car accident before. I had a teammate who developed schizophrenia in college and he went from one of the most popular guys at school to irrational and delusional in a matter of what seemed like weeks and I was one of the only teammates who didn’t start ostracizing him because I’ll be honest… he’s the one person I’ve ever met who terrified me. You don’t mess with crazy. Anyways, one time I was riding with him to my friend’s house and he had an episode and drove his little car straight into a bluff at 90 MPH with me in the passenger seat and it scrunched the entire front of the car almost to the seats. Somehow I had a tiny cut on my elbow. He had no injuries. Some…how.

Getting into a car accident is awful even if you don’t have physical injuries and I hope the kid is ok… Seems like a good enough dude.

Someone brought this up on another forum and naturally, they brought up the shenanigans from last year. He wrote something like, “karma for what the Brands pulled on Swafford last year.” Here was my response to that, for that narrative needs to be disposed of because Brennan loves Tom Brands. One of his favorite coaches he’s ever had. There is no friction there.

My Response: Michael Kravitz I understand how this would be the first thought a lot of people will have with this considering the situation last year… And a great portion is my fault for making a scene publicly and what not and causing a distraction and potentially making it weird for Brennan. I really wish I would have handled that differently. And I’ve had a lot of time to think about it since and process the situation and listen to something other than my own impulsive thoughts on the ordeal and all in all I feel it was just an unfortunate situation that wasn’t intended by them… I honestly do believe 💯 that it was Kemerer who wanted that match and like Tom Brands said, “he’s been the unquestioned guy, he’s the guy, so he made the decision.”

When the shirt was pulled, i don’t think it was anticipated that Kemerer would be ready to go for a while and apparently things changed. It happens… it was unfortunate and I think if any of us could do it over again, we would all do it differently, but hindsight is 20-20.

With that said, I just want to make sure everyone knows that Tom and Brennan are 💯 cool with each other. In fact, they seem rather tight… not a lot of coaches have been able to reach Brennan as effectively as Tom has and he’s one of his fave coaches he’s ever had. For real… there’s no animosity there. In fact, it’s the opposite with those two. And you can kinda pick up on this with the way Tom talked about Brennan on Flo for that golf outing a few weeks ago. They are good.

And if this news is true and they don’t have to worry about the wrestle offs or whatever, then I think both Tom and Brennan aren’t even thinking about that stuff… I bet they are already thinking and working on reaching their goals.

To anyone interested, the interview from Tom at the golf outing is at the link… he gets to Brennan around the 2:00 mark, but the entire interview is cool…

Thanks for catering to the lazy, casual, unintuitive wrestling fans. They couldn't be expected to figure it out on their own.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Also posted this comment in that thread…

Michael Kravitz, Brennan operates real well when he knows that his coach or supporters believe in him. And there’s never, ever, EVER been a coach that he’s ever had who has been more positive and believed in Brennan more than Tom has. For real. And for a guy like Brennan who grew up idolizing Tom, the fact that Tom CLEARLY believes in him has made him believe In himself in the process.

schizophrenia
Agreed. Had a brother-in-law who suffered. Cycled between staying on medication and not liking the way the meds made him feel. It's hard on the schizophrenic and those close to them.
Getting into a car accident is awful
I can attest to that. Was almost killed by a driver via head-on, because he took a left at high speed and lost his Maxima's rear end. All because he was in a hurry and didn't want to slow down and yield the right away.
wrote something like, “karma for what the Brands pulled on Swafford last year.”
The guy was trolling you. You've done your penance. I would've kept my keyboard silent.

Reactions: hlstone
Agreed. Had a brother-in-law who suffered. Cycled between staying on medication and not liking the way the meds made him feel. It's hard on the schizophrenic and those close to them.

I can attest to that. Was almost killed by a driver via head-on, because he took a left at high speed and lost his Maxima's rear end. All because he was in a hurry and didn't want to slow down and yield the right away.

The guy was trolling you. You've done your penance. I would've kept my keyboard silent.
Sometimes when I try to be quiet I get so frustrated that I feel like my mouth is gonna fall off! 😆 It’s a task for me.

Reason for responding is that I just wanted to nip that narrative in the bud or butt or whatever the saying is because I know how fast negativity can spread once people start piling on…. Haha so it was kinda like a, “just so everything is clear… there’s no problem here” type of thing.

I saw you on there once. Weren't you the one with the apron and hatchet chasing the chicken?

It would appear that the HAWKS have more potential to improve their point total over the kitties. F*** st has a lot of fire power coming back for sure, but the 4 champions have no where to go but down, and honestly besides Brooks, I could see them all falling. now before the bandwagon F*** guys start wetting their panties. I am not saying it will happen.

After their 4 champions, they have Kerk Hvy, howierd 125 as somewhat known commodities. I do not feel 125 will get them much of anything. Certainly they will be rolling out top recruits at 141, 149, 157, and 165. That being said, until I see something different, I do not see many points at NCAAs out of any of these weights.

Besides LEE, everyone/weight has a chance to improve the current predicted points(Lee could MAX out)!

I feel 133 will be a weight that will score better.

Woods at 141 could win it

149 I like what MSU wrote

157 lets hope someone breaks out

165 Kennedy should add a good amount and I believe more then most are giving

174 Brands should add some points and has a good shot at AA if he can stay healthy

184 Assad see above

197 Warner is right there, can he make the final step and become a champion.

HVY, Big Cass Can win! Without Stevenson This weight goes to whomever out of the top 4 puts it all together.

The other guys currently have more proven studs. They have also shown over the years that they can perform at the big dance and they can and will add the pieces they need to win.

IOWA has to regain their edge and have several guys jump levels. They have so many guy who could/should do this. Season can not start soon enough!!!

GO HAWKS
do we know Stevenson isn’t wrestling this year?

I saw you on there once. Weren't you the one with the apron and hatchet chasing the chicken?
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Actually, that is well over 120 points based on reasonable bonus projections for those placements. If they score that, they have a pretty decent chance to win it all. Add an extra 4 for Warner and they would almost assuredly score well over 120 in that hypothetical and PSU doesn't really project for much more than that as of now...

Just using those projected placements:
125: 1st. With it being Lee here, I would say 26 is conservative
133: DNP Being that either guy should be top 15ish, 2 points is fair.
141: 1st. Woods isn't too much of a bonus guy, so lets say 22.
149: 6th You get 6 just for taking 6th. So let's say he goes 4-3, winning 2 on the front and 2 on the back to take 6th. Give him 1 bonus on the front and 1 on the back. That is 11 total points with 3 advancement and 2 bonus.
157: ZERO
165: 8th Even as deep as this weight is he should get first round killing of someone and 1 in wrestle backs. So that is 3 for 8th, plus 2.5 advancement and 2 bonus. So, lets say 7.5
174: 8th I would say 1 less bonus from Nelson, so 6.5
184: 6th Say the same as Murin. 11
197: 2nd Jacob isn't much for bonus, so I would say 17 for 2nd and 21 if he gets that "must take" 1st.
285: 1st If Cass were actually able to win it all, I think he would get a couple pins early, but no bonus after that so 24

So, that is 127-131 based on those predictions with, what I at least think is very reasonable bonus points. If they score that, PSU will need to damn near be perfect to win...
PSU has scored more than that in 4 of the last 5 NCAA tournaments.

Predicted AA finishes by FLO rankings:

Iowa - 1, 2, 2, 4, 7

PSU - 1, 1, 1, 1, 2

Iowa has only 1 projected champ, Lee, who is coming off some significant bilateral knee surgery. Cass and Warner both underdogs to PSU as of now.

All 4 of PSU's returning champs are favorites to repeat - RBY, Brooks, Starocci and Dean. Lots of bonus coming from them as well. Kerkvliet a good shot at 2nd.

Iowa would need lots of bonus and some upsets, if they're to have a chance.

Reactions: TarpHawk

Iowa - 1, 2, 2, 4, 7

PSU - 1, 1, 1, 1, 2

Iowa has only 1 projected champ, Lee, who is coming off some significant bilateral knee surgery. Cass and Warner both underdogs to PSU as of now.

All 4 of PSU's returning champs are favorites to repeat - RBY, Brooks, Starocci and Dean. Lots of bonus coming from them as well. Kerkvliet a good shot at 2nd.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Ha!!! Iowa scores 16 points in the above predictions and PSU only 6!

Iowa - 1, 2, 2, 4, 7

PSU - 1, 1, 1, 1, 2

Lots of bonus? QUick math in my head has them at a total of 9.5 between them last year.

I heard they are looking at the next thing. Cal Baptist in about one month. I also hope we see alot of new guys at that tournament in Decorah (?) in November.

PSU has scored more than that in 4 of the last 5 NCAA tournaments.
Cool stat, bro. However, what in the hell does that have to do with anything I said? The point I made was that the Iowa scoring should be solidly in the 120's, if they match the prediction I quoted. PSU DOES NOT project higher than that as of now, THIS SEASON.

Even if you wanted to use your argument, they scored 131.5 last season and LOSE Nick Lee. Getting to that number will be very difficult this year since Starocci, RBY, Brooks and Dean will have to be perfect to basically match their totals from last year. If Gable is truly coming back, Kerk will also have a hard time scoring anything more than what he did last year. So, that leaves Howard, Bartlett, Van Ness, Haines?(I would be surprised if he goes) and Facundo to have to pick up the 26.5 to get to that number when Lee scored 23 of those himself last season.

Just to show you how hard it will be for them to match that number from last season:

125-Hildebrandt .5
133-RBY 23
141-Lee 23
149-Bartlett 1
157-Berge 2
165-0
174-Starocci 22
184-Brooks 23
197-Dean 21.5
285-Kerkvliet 15.5

As good as they are, who in their right mind would take the over for RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean and Kerkvliet at 105???? If Gable is wrestling, it would only take 1 of the 4 not repeating to almost guarantee they don't match last years numbers. With that said, I expect PSU to be around 120 and win, since I don't see Iowa matching the quoted prediction. However, if Iowa does score over 120, I would say they almost certainly win...

Cool stat, bro. However, what in the hell does that have to do with anything I said? The point I made was that the Iowa scoring should be solidly in the 120's, if they match the prediction I quoted. PSU DOES NOT project higher than that as of now, THIS SEASON.

Even if you wanted to use your argument, they scored 131.5 last season and LOSE Nick Lee. Getting to that number will be very difficult this year since Starocci, RBY, Brooks and Dean will have to be perfect to basically match their totals from last year. If Gable is truly coming back, Kerk will also have a hard time scoring anything more than what he did last year. So, that leaves Howard, Bartlett, Van Ness, Haines?(I would be surprised if he goes) and Facundo to have to pick up the 26.5 to get to that number when Lee scored 23 of those himself last season.

Just to show you how hard it will be for them to match that number from last season:

125-Hildebrandt .5
133-RBY 23
141-Lee 23
149-Bartlett 1
157-Berge 2
165-0
174-Starocci 22
184-Brooks 23
197-Dean 21.5
285-Kerkvliet 15.5

As good as they are, who in their right mind would take the over for RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean and Kerkvliet at 105???? If Gable is wrestling, it would only take 1 of the 4 not repeating to almost guarantee they don't match last years numbers. With that said, I expect PSU to be around 120 and win, since I don't see Iowa matching the quoted prediction. However, if Iowa does score over 120, I would say they almost certainly win...
So, back to four in finals with three winning it all?

So, back to four in finals with three winning it all?
Huh? You need to be a bit more specific. The prediction(which I didn't make), had Iowa with 4 in the Finals and 3 champs. The post I made that you just quoted, had 4 PSU guys in the Finals and said they are very unlikely to match last year's total if 1 of the 4 doesn't repeat.

On top of all that, I said I don't see Iowa matching the prediction and think PSU wins with about 120 points or so. So, again, what are you actually trying to say???

Huh? You need to be a bit more specific. The prediction(which I didn't make), had Iowa with 4 in the Finals and 3 champs. The post I made that you just quoted, had 4 PSU guys in the Finals and said they are very unlikely to match last year's total if 1 of the 4 doesn't repeat.

On top of all that, I said I don't see Iowa matching the prediction and think PSU wins with about 120 points or so. So, again, what are you actually trying to say???
STFU.

PSU DOES NOT project higher than that as of now, THIS SEASON.
Yeah, but rankings are not predictions or projections. So what's the real point? It's just a bunch of mathematical masterbation this early in the season. And, I'll trust Intermat's TPI before yours.

Barring injuries, PSU should far exceed 120 this year when 125, 141, 149 and 165 (and 157 if Haines goes) score above their current rankings' advancement and placement points.

Yeah, but rankings are not predictions or projections. So what's the real point? It's just a bunch of mathematical masterbation this early in the season. And, I'll trust Intermat's TPI before yours.

Barring injuries, PSU should far exceed 120 this year when 125, 141, 149 and 165 (and 157 if Haines goes) score above their current rankings' advancement and placement points.
What is "far exceed"? I would be happy to make a bet with you if you quantify it...

What is "far exceed"? I would be happy to make a bet with you if you quantify it...
What are you saying?

How many points PSU will score above 120, or how many points the collection of starting wrestlers will score above their current Intermat TPI number?

And why should it be anything greater than even, since you're so confident in your assessment?

Speaking of your assessments, what are you giving on Michigan's constitution referendum?

What are you saying?

How many points PSU will score above 120, or how many points the collection of starting wrestlers will score above their current Intermat TPI number?

And why should it be anything greater than even, since you're so confident in your assessment?

Speaking of your assessments, what are you giving on Michigan's constitution referendum?
You were the one that specifically said. "far exceed". I said PSU should score about 120 or so. So, OBVIOUSLY, it would only behoove me to make a bet if you actually quantify "far exceed"....

As far as the Michigan thing goes, the way Proposal 3 is written is BEYOND terrible. Hell, it doesn't even mandate a licensed profeesional(i.e. doctor) perform the service nor does it even deliniate what point of the pregnancy you can no longer perform the procedure. I can't believe even the strongest proponent would think over 30 weeks is ok, let alone considerably earlier...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT