ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz:”I’m not an expert on the Quarterback position”

I find the full quote a little more illuminating than the twitter blurb:

“The first thing I need to do is admit that I’m not an expert on the quarterback position. I better go seek out some expertise and learn from it,” he said. “And then it’s like any other position. One of the things that makes you a good line coach or a good tight ends coach, you have to start by listening to the players. Too many coaches want to dictate."

I'm still a skeptic but whatever...

he has learned from the best. mark my words, bf just lulling our opponents. game after game, he will deliberately engineer a seemingly incapable offense…until the big rumble in columbus…
that’s all i got for now.

I find the full quote a little more illuminating than the twitter blurb:

“The first thing I need to do is admit that I’m not an expert on the quarterback position. I better go seek out some expertise and learn from it,” he said. “And then it’s like any other position. One of the things that makes you a good line coach or a good tight ends coach, you have to start by listening to the players. Too many coaches want to dictate."

I'm still a skeptic but whatever...
Honestly, even though I still disagree with the move, this quote significantly raises my level of respect for Brian.

You do not need to be a QB expert to coach one under the Ferentz system. All the QB does is stand still, hand it off or throw it.

I'm super excited that Brian Ferentz is coaching the quarterbacks and running the offense...
you gotta figure Iowa played a lot of Freshman on the O-line last year.. and this coming season, even with a lot of young fellas on the O-line... they got a chance to be really good.

and of course, with a really good O-line... the offense is going to control the game...
and thats how Iowa wins games.

Kirk is often quoted as saying "thats football"
but the way Iowa runs its offense... "thats smart football"

looking forward to another run at the West Division title and a shot at the Big Ten Championship.

Nice quote Brian.

yay-help.gif

and of course, with a really good O-line... the offense is going to control the game...
and thats how Iowa wins games.
The Iowa offense does NOT control the game - they have not been good enough sustaining drives to be the "ball control" offense many of you claim them to be.

We win with defense DESPITE the offense continuously gifted tremendous field position. There ya go. Start opening your eyes during the games - it helps see the reality of everything.

Prove us wrong Brian! Iowa is at it's best controlling the clock on offense. The best way to defeat these high powered offenses is keeping then on the sidelines.
Go Hawks.

I am on the fence about Brian, both overall and as QB coach. I think skepticism is warranted, but I also think none of US know a thing about QB play, really.

So, the "success" of this move will be judged on the success of the offense, not the improvement of the QBs. And the offense is likely to improve, because the OL, TE and WR will probably be better and RB will be more consistent (if less explosive).

As to the QB play itself, I do wonder if part of the thinking moving BF there is to simplify the role of the QB. BF might not know how to teach a PhD class in QB play, but maybe KoK trying to teach college QBs at that level was part of the problem? IDK.

Last edited:
Reactions: kceasthawk
I am on the fence about Brian, both overall and as QB coach. I think skepticism is warranted, but I also think none of US know a thing about QB play, really.

So, the "success" of this move will be judged on the success of the offense, not the improvement of the QBs. And the offense is likely to improve, because the OL, TE and WR will probably be better and RB will be more consistent (if less explosive).

As to the QB play itself, I do wonder if part of the thinking moving BF there is to simplify the role of the QB. BF might not know how to teach a PhD class in QB play, but maybe KoK trying to teach college QBs at that level was part of the problem? IDK.
The most important part of this job is playing the right qb that can create plays that break down. We haven't had a QB like that for a very very long time. If you have a qb like that then always a threat to pickup a first down. Why we have gone to statues in the QB position is so so baffling and frustrating. Give me a mobile QB that can scramble any day over a tall, strong arm slow qb.

My God I'm worried about Brian as a quarterback coach . This could be a good year with Brian I don't know I hope I'm wrong. I work at a hospital I'm a maintenance man I'm not a doctor or emt

Honestly, even though I still disagree with the move, this quote significantly raises my level of respect for Brian.

I am usually impressed by what Brian has to say when I hear him talk. He is very knowledgeable about football and confident in his abilities, but is self deprecating as well. This has not translated into the offense that we want to see or expect. I do maintain hope that it will though.

The most important part of this job is playing the right qb that can create plays that break down. We haven't had a QB like that for a very very long time. If you have a qb like that then always a threat to pickup a first down. Why we have gone to statues in the QB position is so so baffling and frustrating. Give me a mobile QB that can scramble any day over a tall, strong arm slow qb.

Tom Brady, Dan Marino , Peyton Manning say hello although Brady did move around some when young. Pocket awareness, being able to side step or move up in the pocket is what the good ones do. SP does not have that ability.

Reactions: dadster
Who hates Iowa ?
Iowa message board posters pretending to be Iowa fans !!!

Yeah, yeah save your BS replies

Reactions: F5n5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT