ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz needs to live at Pats offices

SoDakHawk

HB Legend
Sep 14, 2006
This off season. The Patriots just won the AFC with zero outside threats at WR and by running the ball, controlling the clock, and hitting slot receivers and TEs.

I swear that was Iowa's offense at work tonight...just better and more precise, better executed, and better called.

If Iowa can't get the freak WRs recruited and in camp then this is the model. Hope BF watched this game. It was perfectly executed.

This off season. The Patriots just won the AFC with zero outside threats at WR and by running the ball, controlling the clock, and hitting slot receivers and TEs.

I swear that was Iowa's offense at work tonight...just better and more precise, better executed, and better called.

If Iowa can't get the freak WRs recruited and in camp then this is the model. Hope BF watched this game. It was perfectly executed.
Stanley has been more the opposite of brady when it comes to stepping up in the moment.

BTW, this post doesn't even exist if not for a bonehead offsides penalty by kc ;)

Yes, but who is the Edelman/Welker guy that Iowa can ride whenever they need a play? Which of their TEs can they line up wide and have him run a slant for a first down at key moment of the game? NE's O line owned that game which isn't surprising considering the Chief's have one of the worst defenses in the league. It also helps knowing the officials on the field and in the league office will bail you out at key moments.

Yup. He throws a perfect ball at the perfect time, especially in the clutch. The guy is crazy good.

Wrong game was over when he threw his 3rd pick of the game, refs decided both games with their stupid calls/no calls and i didn't care who got there but the #riggedSB is a fact!

We should study both the Patriots and Rams with respect to how they scheme their receivers to get free releases. Both use a lot of motion and stack formations to scheme releases. I think we also need to take a look at how the Patriots especially scheme Edleman in the middle of the field. We can get the college-version of that type of receiver and we need to continue figuring out how to use that type of player most effectively.

It was blatantly clear last night that Belichek and McDaniels picked Kirk and Brian's brains last week. Those heavy sets with 2 TEs blocking most of the game and playing Kirk ball throughout the first half didn't just happen.

Though Iowa has improved using the middle of the field in the passing game, if BF was to learn anything, it would be to utilize the middle of the field much more and improving the routes we run.

They can emulate it all they want, which they are to a point, but Stanley isn’t half the QB Brady is and the WR’s aren’t exactly lighting the field on fire. Iowa has the TE’s or did, but until Stanley or whomever becomes a first round draft pick it is want it is.

Nate Stanley, while a fine QB, has a completion % around 57%. Is it a lack of accuracy or a lack of WR separation? Yes.

The argument surrounding NS has always missed the mark. Should we all get a boner with 52 TD passes in two years? Yes. Is there a QB on the roster who might not throw as many TDs but could get us an extra win per season? Yes.

Couple pretty interesting side stories to this thread....

1st, as was said, KC doesn't line up offsides, this thread doesn't exist and no one is singing Tom and Bill's praises. Well deserved though they are....

Just goes to show you how fickle and mercurial it all is. A win or a loss completely changing everything you think you saw in a game...

Tommy boy was treated pretty roughly by the Michigan fans because they were convinced Drew Henson was the better QB. After setting records his first 2 years, he had to once again compete with Henson for the starting job as they platooned the first few games if memory serves.

Not something that would probably happen now a days because these kids transfer out if they don't start...and I can't help but think the constant fan critiquing doesn't help these kids and their egos.

So jumping forward, Tommy boy goes in the 6th round and the scouts are mostly unimpressed with his QB attributes. Then he sits on the bench until an injury sidelines Drew Bledsoe...

But the fans knew, they always know.......it took an injury to form the greatest Coach/QB tandem in football history.

But no way Stanley can get better, its not like Tom did....:rolleyes:

The argument surrounding NS has always missed the mark. Should we all get a boner with 52 TD passes in two years? Yes. Is there a QB on the roster who might not throw as many TDs but could get us an extra win per season? Yes.

Who and I guess you know this for sure because.......?? Forget it, I remember, the 2nd string QB is always the best...sorry.

Here is a chuckler for you. When i was reading the Mississippi St board after our Bowl game, guess what they said...The head coach should have benched their QB back in September. That's why they lost....they played the wrong QB....

Everytime a team losses its because the coach plays the wrong QB...you can't make this stuff up. If I was heading up a football or basketball team, I'd head to the message boards, that's were the smart coaches are.....:cool:

Reactions: anon_8rcdnbko1jbe0
Truth of the matter is our offense is taking on more and more characteristics of New Englands scheme year after year. Brian has already been working to implement everything he can here at Iowa. The similarities are many at this point. This has always been the plan since Brian first spent time coaching at New England.
I think we have done fairly well with it so far. Offense has gained the consistency it can with the players we have. We continue to bring in talent and improve the QB room each year with who we recruit. Our OL is key to success the same way the Pats is. We have a very strong foundation to build on with respect to imitating their approach.

We should study both the Patriots and Rams with respect to how they scheme their receivers to get free releases. Both use a lot of motion and stack formations to scheme releases. I think we also need to take a look at how the Patriots especially scheme Edleman in the middle of the field. We can get the college-version of that type of receiver and we need to continue figuring out how to use that type of player most effectively.
Pretty much what I was getting at. Edelman is a possession receiver, we can get that type of player at Iowa. As far as Gronk goes, we had two TEs that we're the college equivalent of Gronk and seem to be able to churn that position out.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Truth of the matter is our offense is taking on more and more characteristics of New Englands scheme year after year. Brian has already been working to implement everything he can here at Iowa. The similarities are many at this point. This has always been the plan since Brian first spent time coaching at New England.
I think we have done fairly well with it so far. Offense has gained the consistency it can with the players we have. We continue to bring in talent and improve the QB room each year with who we recruit. Our OL is key to success the same way the Pats is. We have a very strong foundation to build on with respect to imitating their approach.
need to have the oline do the things NE does, they are very under rated as a group. our run game is not even a shadow of what NE is doing...…..

They can emulate it all they want, which they are to a point, but Stanley isn’t half the QB Brady is and the WR’s aren’t exactly lighting the field on fire. Iowa has the TE’s or did, but until Stanley or whomever becomes a first round draft pick it is want it is.
Just a small point, but Brady wasn't Tom Terrific in college either. In fact, if not for an injury to Drew Bledsoe, the GOAT of NFL QB's. (who was a 6th round afterthought draft pick), may never have played a down in the NFL. :rolleyes:

First half, yes. But they beat the Chiefs at home on a last second field goal and beat KC in overtime to go to the Super Bowl. Easy? Not so much.

PS- also still salty as a Chiefs fan.
They beat the Chiefs, Chargers, & Chiefs.

If NE was in the AFC West they might’ve went 16-0 again this year.

They seemed to have no problem beating the best of that division. Imagine what they would’ve done to the Broncos & Raiders!

Reactions: IATryHards

They started him out wide then slide inside of the other receiver causing somewhat of pick as he split the seam. Very effective.

need to have the oline do the things NE does, they are very under rated as a group. our run game is not even a shadow of what NE is doing...…..
Personnel seams different from College to NFL. Our OL is constantly changing but an NFL team can exercise more control long term.

Serious question... does anyone else notice that quite a few guys at Iowa make the NFL and do “better” than at Iowa... does Iowa have troubles getting most out of players? Do they not utilize players the right way at times? Just curious on others thoughts on this...

Serious question... does anyone else notice that quite a few guys at Iowa make the NFL and do “better” than at Iowa... does Iowa have troubles getting most out of players? Do they not utilize players the right way at times? Just curious on others thoughts on this...
There is a difference between "professional" football and "collegiate" football. In college there are other commitments that require time and energy. In the NFL they can focus solely on football. There are sometimes other things provided at the NFL level that are not available at Iowa. Kids are still learning while at Iowa alot of times and by the time they are in The League they have gained several years of experience.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Personnel seams different from College to NFL. Our OL is constantly changing but an NFL team can exercise more control long term.
That is true. BUT if the line doesn't look quite a bit better next year then I think it is time for tim to move on!

Harb makes some valid points. In addition though, what you say is not entirely factual. For one, it's easy to verify that regardless of college origin nearly every star pro produced to a much smaller degree in college. Second, there also exist a number of players who were picked early in the draft only to flop in the nfl -- did their college coaches then utilize them better than the pros?

They beat the Chiefs, Chargers, & Chiefs.

If NE was in the AFC West they might’ve went 16-0 again this year.

They seemed to have no problem beating the best of that division. Imagine what they would’ve done to the Broncos & Raiders!

I get they won but you are insinuating it was easy. Not sure what happened with the Chargers but I would rather play three cupcakes a year than 1 (usually rotating between the Broncos and the Raiders).

Suggesting that Brady/Belichick have won 9 AFC titles and 5 Super Bowls because their division is weak might be one of the most feeble arguments I’ve ever encountered.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Couple pretty interesting side stories to this thread....

1st, as was said, KC doesn't line up offsides, this thread doesn't exist and no one is singing Tom and Bill's praises. Well deserved though they are....

Just goes to show you how fickle and mercurial it all is. A win or a loss completely changing everything you think you saw in a game...

Tommy boy was treated pretty roughly by the Michigan fans because they were convinced Drew Henson was the better QB. After setting records his first 2 years, he had to once again compete with Henson for the starting job as they platooned the first few games if memory serves.

Not something that would probably happen now a days because these kids transfer out if they don't start...and I can't help but think the constant fan critiquing doesn't help these kids and their egos.

So jumping forward, Tommy boy goes in the 6th round and the scouts are mostly unimpressed with his QB attributes. Then he sits on the bench until an injury sidelines Drew Bledsoe...

But the fans knew, they always know.......it took an injury to form the greatest Coach/QB tandem in football history.

But no way Stanley can get better, its not like Tom did....:rolleyes:

Setting records his first 2 years?

Setting records his first 2 years?

“”””During his first full year as starter, he set new Michigan records for most pass attempts and completions in a season, for a total of 214.[50] Brady was All-Big Ten honorable mention both seasons, and was the team captain in his senior year. The Wolverines won 20 of 25 games when he started, and he set a school record for completions in a 31–16 loss against Ohio State in 1998”””

Believe he was also 20 and 5 as a starter, and they did want him benched, meaning the fans...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT