ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz needs to live at Pats offices

“”””During his first full year as starter, he set new Michigan records for most pass attempts and completions in a season, for a total of 214.[50] Brady was All-Big Ten honorable mention both seasons, and was the team captain in his senior year. The Wolverines won 20 of 25 games when he started, and he set a school record for completions in a 31–16 loss against Ohio State in 1998”””

Believe he was also 20 and 5 as a starter, and they did want him benched, meaning the fans...

So after his first two years as a starter he had to battle Henson?

So after his first two years as a starter he had to battle Henson?

“”””In the 1999 season, Brady had to once again hold off Henson for the starting job. The two players platooned during the season's first seven games, with Brady playing the first quarter, Henson the second and Carr then deciding upon a quarterback for the second half”””””

I kind of understand where OP is coming from. While yes obviously we don’t have the college equivalent of Tom Brady there are still a lot of things Brian can incorporate into Iowa’s offense. Namely a few things:

1. Power run plays. It was baffling Iowa has mostly went away from these the last few years. They need a counter to the standard zone plays like the Power the Pats incorporate.

2. The screen game. I watch every Sunday these NFL teams running these kick ass slow developing screen plays. Iowa needs to incorporate these in the offense, I’ve only seen Iowa run the quick jail break variety that hasn’t yielded much results.

3. It’s been discussed over and over but Iowa can utilize its weapons even more. I loved what NE did yesterday with Gronk, just put him on the outside and let him bully a former all pro safety. Iowa could’ve used Fant in this role in a game like PSU or Northwestern this year where yards were hard to come by and you just need your best players to win matchups.

4. In general, the route trees for NE are phenomenal. The one thing you see every week with NE is that their receivers gain the most seperation of any team in the league. Now I think that’s because mostly due to game flow and how they incorporate their route trees. I generally don’t believe it’s because of their WRs, which by any metric are middling. I have observed Iowa this year running a lot of the same stuff over and over again. Namely the slow developing loss PA crossing routes that teams were sitting on this year. I believe the Hock reception against Wisconsin was the only time it worked. Iowa needs to diversify its PA plays like NE.

Now as stated before were never going to have the college equivalent of Brady but Iowa can absolutely pass protect and run block as good as NE on a college level. Brian has done well but there’s absolutely more he can do to improve this offense.

“”””In the 1999 season, Brady had to once again hold off Henson for the starting job. The two players platooned during the season's first seven games, with Brady playing the first quarter, Henson the second and Carr then deciding upon a quarterback for the second half”””””

All good points, Henson threw 89 passes, Brady 295. He was the 2nd half choice because Henson was mediocre.

Yes, but who is the Edelman/Welker guy that Iowa can ride whenever they need a play? Which of their TEs can they line up wide and have him run a slant for a first down at key moment of the game? NE's O line owned that game which isn't surprising considering the Chief's have one of the worst defenses in the league. It also helps knowing the officials on the field and in the league office will bail you out at key moments.

Bingo I'm glad someone is smart enough to mention that dominating oline play. That LT #77 is a mountain. Brady's changing the plays at the los was also huge. That roughing call was ludicrous though.

This off season. The Patriots just won the AFC with zero outside threats at WR and by running the ball, controlling the clock, and hitting slot receivers and TEs.

I swear that was Iowa's offense at work tonight...just better and more precise, better executed, and better called.

If Iowa can't get the freak WRs recruited and in camp then this is the model. Hope BF watched this game. It was perfectly executed.

and Tom Brady. You need to read up on that dude. he is not normal. A lot of Gable type work ethic / preparation qualities to him. Obviously have to have some talent to start with. And in NFL you can have the same dude at QB for 15 years and supporting cast for more than 3 or 4 years. Just a bit different in college.

This off season. The Patriots just won the AFC with zero outside threats at WR and by running the ball, controlling the clock, and hitting slot receivers and TEs.

I swear that was Iowa's offense at work tonight...just better and more precise, better executed, and better called.

If Iowa can't get the freak WRs recruited and in camp then this is the model. Hope BF watched this game. It was perfectly executed.

And Belichek doesn't have to recruit. Frees up quite a lot of time.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Couple pretty interesting side stories to this thread....

1st, as was said, KC doesn't line up offsides, this thread doesn't exist and no one is singing Tom and Bill's praises. Well deserved though they are....

Just goes to show you how fickle and mercurial it all is. A win or a loss completely changing everything you think you saw in a game...

Tommy boy was treated pretty roughly by the Michigan fans because they were convinced Drew Henson was the better QB. After setting records his first 2 years, he had to once again compete with Henson for the starting job as they platooned the first few games if memory serves.

Not something that would probably happen now a days because these kids transfer out if they don't start...and I can't help but think the constant fan critiquing doesn't help these kids and their egos.

So jumping forward, Tommy boy goes in the 6th round and the scouts are mostly unimpressed with his QB attributes. Then he sits on the bench until an injury sidelines Drew Bledsoe...

But the fans knew, they always know.......it took an injury to form the greatest Coach/QB tandem in football history.

But no way Stanley can get better, its not like Tom did....:rolleyes:

Tom always believed in himself and prepared like most others don't.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Wrong game was over when he threw his 3rd pick of the game, refs decided both games with their stupid calls/no calls and i didn't care who got there but the #riggedSB is a fact!

I bet it was a two headed coin for OT!!!!!!!!!!!! The little men from the spaceship will be by to pick you up at 1am behind the barn.

I kind of understand where OP is coming from. While yes obviously we don’t have the college equivalent of Tom Brady there are still a lot of things Brian can incorporate into Iowa’s offense. Namely a few things:

1. Power run plays. It was baffling Iowa has mostly went away from these the last few years. They need a counter to the standard zone plays like the Power the Pats incorporate.

2. The screen game. I watch every Sunday these NFL teams running these kick ass slow developing screen plays. Iowa needs to incorporate these in the offense, I’ve only seen Iowa run the quick jail break variety that hasn’t yielded much results.

3. It’s been discussed over and over but Iowa can utilize its weapons even more. I loved what NE did yesterday with Gronk, just put him on the outside and let him bully a former all pro safety. Iowa could’ve used Fant in this role in a game like PSU or Northwestern this year where yards were hard to come by and you just need your best players to win matchups.

4. In general, the route trees for NE are phenomenal. The one thing you see every week with NE is that their receivers gain the most seperation of any team in the league. Now I think that’s because mostly due to game flow and how they incorporate their route trees. I generally don’t believe it’s because of their WRs, which by any metric are middling. I have observed Iowa this year running a lot of the same stuff over and over again. Namely the slow developing loss PA crossing routes that teams were sitting on this year. I believe the Hock reception against Wisconsin was the only time it worked. Iowa needs to diversify its PA plays like NE.

Now as stated before were never going to have the college equivalent of Brady but Iowa can absolutely pass protect and run block as good as NE on a college level. Brian has done well but there’s absolutely more he can do to improve this offense.
I read your post then realized I was the OP! Yes, you have expressed it better than I could. I watched that game the other night and it looked in the first half like a Big Ten team (Pats) playing a Big 12 team.

Iowa doesn't need to become a full spread team. Incorporate elements of that Patriot offense.

The biggest thing to me is that New England, like Iowa, has no big-time outside WR. We're very similar in that we rely on slot, possession type receivers.

I read your post then realized I was the OP! Yes, you have expressed it better than I could. I watched that game the other night and it looked in the first half like a Big Ten team (Pats) playing a Big 12 team.

Iowa doesn't need to become a full spread team. Incorporate elements of that Patriot offense.

The biggest thing to me is that New England, like Iowa, has no big-time outside WR. We're very similar in that we rely on slot, possession type receivers.

So you are saying that utilizing slot receivers and te's can be successful? Interesting philosophy. I would think that would be popular. :D

Reactions: Harbinger273
Belichek would be like, "Hey Ferentz go get me a cup of coffee!", thinking BF has been lounging around there the last 5 years.

Yes, Brian is a true innovator on the offensive side of the ball and really experiments with fresh ideas. I like how he utilized Fant this year and our outside zone stretch plays are still the bread and butter of this offense. Our run game/offensive production have made significant improvements with him at the helm. Our offseason visits with other coaching staffs is really paying off and I’m sure a trip out to New England would yield some impressive results!

Last edited:
I'm not a BF hater, but given some of the history of the program in relation to KF and his success its is imperative that the fan base keep the pressure on BF and the current offensive approach. No complacency or just plain laziness allowed because of an ensured coaching job/contract.
I believe his is working to improve and progress the offense in pursuit of a more consistent and effective unit. I do believe the plan is to have him replace KF and we need to make him earn it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT