ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Davis: Iowa wins B1G Championship & CFP Berth; Marvin McNutt: Iowa is a 10 or 11 win team

Yeah.....

Will we get out of our own f***ing way to do it? I hope so...........
I have always thought that success starts at the line of scrimmage. If your OL dominates, you can run the ball and you have time to pass. If your DL dominates, you can stuff the run and give the opposing QB less time to pass.

Do you agree with these 2 articles from an OHIO STATE web site?

If Iowa has the #1 OL in the West & the #1 DL in the West....

Thoughts?

Rating the 2019 Big Ten Offensive Lines — West Division
July 13, 2019
by Tony Gerdeman
https://theozone.net/2019/07/rating-2019-big-ten-offensive-lines-west/

This annual exercise of rating the Big Ten divisions position by position is done with the intention of figuring out which two teams will be playing in the Big Ten Championship Game.

I rank the positions then tally up all of the finishes and I pretty much spoil the entire football season for everyone. It’s a true joy of mine.

In these ratings — as in football — the better the offensive line, the better the chances of making it to Indianapolis in December.

We have already covered the offensive lines of the Big Ten East, so now we turn our attention westward to the other side of the standings.

(The number in parentheses next to the team name is the number of recruiting stars on the roster at that position.)

1. Iowa Hawkeyes (53)

The Hawkeyes return the best pair of offensive tackles in the Big Ten in juniors Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs. Jackson was a Second-Team All-Big Ten selection last year and has 24 career starts to his credit. Wirfs has 20 starts over his first two seasons and this spring set a team record with four reps of 450 pounds in the hang clean. Both get to work in practice against junior defensive end AJ Epenesa, who may be the best pass rusher in the Big Ten. Redshirt freshman Tyler Linderbaum could be the answer at center after moving over from defensive line during bowl prep. A pair of starting guards will need to be found, but there are several veterans to choose from, which will bode well for their immediate production. The Hawkeyes led the Big Ten with just 16 sacks allowed last season, but the rush offense will be determined by the production from the interior guys.

2. Minnesota Golden Gophers (41)
Three full-time starters return on the offensive line, along with two other linemen with starting experience. Sophomore Daniel Faalele, sophomore Blaise Andries, and junior Conner Olson all earned Honorable Mention All-Big Ten notice last year. Faalele is the 6-foot-9 400-pound former Australian rugby player who started eight games as a true freshman last season. Andries started all 13 games at right guard last year, but moves to left guard this season. Olson started at left guard last year, but will move to center this year. He started six games there in 2017, so this won’t be new for him. Left tackle is still open. Right guard looks like redshirt freshman Curtis Dunlap, who was able to play in four games last year, including one start. The Gophers were middle of the road in rushing and sacks allowed last year with young players. They should be better this year.

3. Wisconsin Badgers (46)
Wisconsin must replace four starters from last season, but would anybody be surprised if they still end up with one of the two or three best lines in the Big Ten? All Big Ten center Tyler Biadasz returns, which is a great start. Just a junior, Biadasz has been tremendous in his first two years in Madison. Sophomore Logan Bruss looks like the guy at right tackle. He started a handful of games last season at right tackle due to injury. There were injuries this spring, so several players experimented at different spots, which could make this a fluid and versatile group in the fall. Seniors Jason Erdmann and David Moorman have been around forever, but have just one start between them. Junior Cole Van Lanen looks to be the left tackle, which is going to make him a very important piece to this offense given the Badgers’ passing struggles.

4. Nebraska Cornhuskers (48)
Nebraska returns three starters from 2018, including Honorable Mention All-Big Ten linemen Boe Wilson and Brenden Jaimes. The junior James is back at left tackle, starting 12 games last year and eight games at right tackle as a true freshman. The potential is high with him. Wilson started nine games at right guard last year. Junior Matt Farniak returns at right tackle, but he has also started games at right guard in the past. Center is looking like redshirt freshman Cameron Jurgens, who came to Nebraska as a tight end. Jurgens has had injury issues, however, having not finished a season healthy since his junior year of high school. Sophomore walk-on Trent Hixson looks like the left guard. He played in three games last year. The Huskers’ 5.41 yards per carry was the fourth-best in the B1G and their best mark since joining the conference.

5. Illinois Fighting Illini (38)
The young Illini return four starting offensive linemen from last season. Illinois’ 5.91 yards per carry last year was the second-best mark in the Big Ten, and they did this with no passing threat to speak of. Junior center Doug Kramer enters his third year of starting, and he is joined by junior tackles Alex Palczewski and Vederian Lowe, who are also stepping into their respective third years as starters. Sophomore Kendrick Green started every game last year as a redshirt freshman. Alabama graduate transfer Richie Petitbon played in 11 games over his 3-year career with the Crimson Tide. This is going to be an offense looking for an identity — and using very different quarterbacks to find it. The offensive line is going to need to be at its best, while also being flexible enough to handle abrupt changes in style.

6. Purdue Boilermakers (40)
The Boilermakers return both tackles from last season, but have very little experience coming back on the interior. Senior Matt McCann and junior Grant Hermanns are the returnees, but they were also part of giving up 30 sacks last season, which was the third-most in the Big Ten. During the spring, head coach Jeff Brohm looked for combinations on the offensive line that would work, but that process was hindered because sophomore Viktor Beach — the expected starter at center — missed much of camp with back issues. There are no shortage of other names to fill out the rest of the starting five, but the experience behind those names is sparse. There is some flexibility, however, because the right tackle McCann also spent time this spring at guard. If they can’t find two guards but have three tackles, then McCann could slide inside.

7. Northwestern Wildcats (45)
Three starters are gone from last season, but some solid progress was made in the spring. Senior Jared Thomas is back at center. He started all 14 games for Northwestern last season and puts the offense in good hands this season. Third-Team All-Big Ten right tackle Rashawn Slater is back, but has moved to left tackle. A junior, Slater has been a starter in each of his first two seasons. Junior Gunnar Vogel is expected to step in for Slater’s departed right tackle spot. Junior Nik Urban started three games at guard last season and looks like the guy at left guard. Redshirt freshman Sam Stovall is a possible starter at right guard. Northwestern’s 2.57 sacks allowed per game last season was the worst in the conference and 93rd in the nation. The Wildcats were also dead last in the B1G in rushing last year.

Rating the 2019 Big Ten Defensive Lines — West Division

July 29, 2019
by Tony Gerdeman
https://theozone.net/2019/07/rating-2019-big-ten-defensive-lines-west-division/

The Big Ten West is not as known for its defense as the Big Ten East is, and much of that is because of the respective defensive lines.

It takes the programs in the Big Ten West a bit longer to develop their front fours into formidable foes, and even with a veteran line, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to be all that stout.

This year, however, the conference’s best lineman may reside in the West, and the talent levels across the division are improving.

Can they match the East? They won’t necessarily need to, so it may not matter.

All they need to worry about being the best in the division and the rest will take care of itself.

(The number in parentheses is the total number of recruiting stars at defensive line for each team.)

1. Iowa Hawkeyes (42)

Iowa loses all four starters from last season, but don’t get too brokenhearted because they still return First-Team All-Big Ten defensive end AJ Epenesa, who was part of a 3-man rotation last year. Still just a junior, Epenesa may be the best defensive player in the conference and is already looked at as a projected first-round NFL Draft pick next spring. Epenesa is big (6-6 277) and relentless, but he will have more on his plate this season. At the other defensive end will be junior Chauncey Golston, who has played in 24 games the last two season. He finished with 3.5 sacks and 9.0 tackles for loss last year coming off the bench. Together, Golston and Epenesa should be a formidable tandem. Seniors Brady Reiff and Cedrick Lattimore are the two expected starters on the inside. Lattimore started six games in 2017 and added 21 tackles last season. Even though there aren’t many starts here, there is still a good amount of experience and production. Can they repeat as the No. 2 rush defense in the Big Ten?

2. Purdue Boilermakers (52)

Purdue returns five defensive linemen with starting experience thanks to the move of junior linebacker Derrick Barnes to Leo. Barnes tallied 92 tackles, 3.0 sacks, and 8.0 tackles for loss last season. He is expected to be an effective speed rusher for the Boilermakers. On the other side will be true freshman George Karlaftis, who was one of the top defensive end prospects in the 2019 class. He enrolled early and opened spring practice with the ones and never left. Expectations are understandably high for Karlaftis. Both of last year’s starting ends return as well, so there is decent depth here. One of those returners is sophomore Giovanni Reviere, who could also show up at defensive tackle. Senior nose tackle Lorenzo Neal is returning from a torn ACL last year, so they are expected to take it slow through camp. Junior defensive tackle Anthony Watts started 12 games last year and finished with 42 tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss. This group returns more experience than maybe any other defensive line in the nation, but they also allowed 15 rushing touchdowns over the final five games of the season last year.

3. Nebraska Cornhuskers (45)

Nebraska is one of three 3-4 defensive teams in the Big Ten, so what they lack in numbers, they make up for in mass per square inch by averaging about 310 pounds across the front three. Junior defensive end Ben Stille started 11 games last year, finishing with 25 tackles and 5.0 sacks. Senior defensive end Khalil Davis was an Honorable Mention All-Big Ten selection last year, following a season where he posted 41 tackles, 3.0 sacks, and 5.0 tackles for loss. His twin brother Carlos, who was also Honorable Mention All-B1G, has 25 starts over the last three seasons and 69 tackles over the last two. The Davis brothers are expected to be part of a defensive end rotation. Oklahoma State transfer Darrion Daniels looks like the guy at nose tackle, and his younger brother Damion Daniels appears to be a capable backup. Being a 3-4 defense, a lot of the sacks and tackles for loss are expected to come from the pass-rushing outside linebackers, but the three guys up front will need to be much more effective against the run than they were a year ago when the Huskers finished 12th in the B1G against the run (195.8 ypg).

4. Northwestern Wildcats (40)

Northwestern loses its two defensive tackles from last season, but starting defensive ends Joe Gaziano and Samdup Miller return. Miller has started every game of his career, but his junior season needs to be his best. He had 53 tackles last season, but just 1.5 sacks. Gaziano is a senior who has started the last 27 games for Northwestern, just like Miller. Gaziano was a Second-Team All-Big Ten selection last season following a year where he led the team with 7.5 sacks and 12.5 tackles for loss. He also added 44 tackles and eight quarterback hurries. Senior defensive end Trent Goens provides productive depth as well. On the interior, senior Alex Miller and junior Jake Saunders must step up and set the tone against the run. Saunders has been injured the last two years, but hopes are high that he can stay healthy this season. The Wildcats were fourth in the Big Ten against the run last season (129.6 ypg), and that improved to second in the Big Ten (112.0 ypg) in November. Finding productive defensive tackles will be key in keeping that standard.

5. Minnesota Golden Gophers (47)

Two starters return from a defense last season that was 12th in the Big Ten in yards per carry allowed (5.2), though they were middle of the road in sacks and tackles for loss. The star here is senior defensive end Carter Coughlin, who was a coveted outside linebacker prospect in high school. He enters his third year of starting. He was a Second-Team All-B1G selection last year, thanks to 48 tackles and a team-high 9.5 sacks and 15.0 tackles for loss. The starter on the other side returns as well. Senior Winston DeLattiboudere started five games in each of his first two seasons, but rose to start 12 games last year. The production needs to improve and he will likely be pushed by sophomore Boye Mafe, who had a strong spring and started once as a freshman last year. Senior defensive tackle Sam Renner started three games last year, so he has some experience. Notre Dame transfer Micah Dew-Treadway is hoped to be a starter and producer this year. Sophomore Jamaal Teague had a couple of TFLs as a true freshman last season. PJ Fleck likes his potential.

6. Wisconsin Badgers (33)

The Badgers are one of the three 3-4 defenses in the Big Ten. Two starters depart, including one who moved back to the offensive line. This is not a terribly productive group overall. Junior defensive end Isaiahh Loudermilk started six games last season, finishing with 15 tackles, 1.0 sacks, and 2.5 tackles for loss. On the other side should be sophomore Matt Henningsen, who started 10 games and added 32 tackles. Junior Garrett Rand missed last season, but has played in 28 games in his career. Nose tackle Bryson Williams started the final three games as a true freshman last season and is expected to continue to hold down the job. There isn’t anything exciting to mention here. Wisconsin’s run defense last year finished eighth in the Big Ten (155.1 ypg) and their 1.46 sacks per game was 13th in the conference. This group doesn’t necessarily need to get into the backfield, but they do need to keep the line of scrimmage from moving forward. Can they?

7. Illinois Fighting Illini (50)

The loss of defensive end Bobby Roundtree to a spinal injury in the spring was terrible for all involved. Even without the Illini’s leading disruptor from 2018, Illinois still returns a number of players with starting experience. Junior defensive end Owen Carney is the leading returner in sacks, with just 2.5 last year. He added 21 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss while starting eight games last year. The other defensive end looks like either junior Isaiah Gay or former 5-star USC transfer Oluwole Betiku, who have a combined one career tackle for loss. Sophomore defensive tackle Jamal Woods missed last year, but had 3.5 tackles for loss as a true freshman in 2017. Senior tackles Tymir Oliver and Jamal Milan have over 40 starts between them, and senior Kenyon Jackson started eight games on the interior over his first two years. The Illini allowed a Big Ten-worst 6.0 yards per carry last season. Only five teams in the nation were worse.

I'll tell ya what else would help Iowa compete for more championships year to year........................................................................................................................................................players not leaving early for the NFL. :)

This typically forces Iowa to have to start over at those positions (even if their track record for rebounding usually generates at least "positive" results).........

Honestly, does anyone here think Iowa wouldn't be at least the overwhelming West favorite, if not one of the top 2-3 teams picked to win the Big Ten if Nelson, Hooker and either or both Hockenson and Fant returned?.............

But that's just me being selfish, I know.

I'll tell ya what else would help Iowa compete for more championships year to year........................................................................................................................................................players not leaving early for the NFL. :)

This typically forces Iowa to have to start over at those positions (even if their track record for rebounding usually generates at least "positive" results).........

Honestly, does anyone here think Iowa wouldn't be at least the overwhelming West favorite, if not one of the top 2-3 teams picked to win the Big Ten if Nelson, Hooker and either or both Hockenson and Fant returned?.............

I would have loved to have seen TJ's reaction when he looked at his bank account and saw the net of that $12M signing bonus post.

can you imagine? 21 years old, from small town Iowa, and Iowa helped turn him into a millionaire.

Yes, but frankly we don’t play well as favorites. I would rather, know in my own mind that we have all the pieces for success, but to start off unrated, and an afterthought.

But, having back any of the underclassmen would’ve been huge. The backups will take time, and may never achieve that level of productivity.

Essentially the question is, "Can Stanley lead this team to double digit wins?" All the pieces are there, it's just whether or not Stanley is ready to take that step.... If Stanley really does turn out to be this All-Conference, top notch NFL prospect that he's capable of.... then it'll all trickle down to improvement in the run game and efficiency with our WR's

To me were at the same point that we were last year. The wide receivers have to prove capable I’ve got to me were at the same point that we were last year. The wide receivers have to prove capable Of getting open. They also need to be able to threaten to throw the ball deep.

Then I think you’re right. Then it comes down to consistency at the quarterback position. Stanley has cut down on the number of mistakes each year, and I’m hoping this is another step forward for him.

But he had a pretty decent year passing last year and we still didn’t open up the running lanes. Teams will keep stacking the box until we make them pay. I think everybody knows that

To me were at the same point that we were last year. The wide receivers have to prove capable I’ve got to me were at the same point that we were last year. The wide receivers have to prove capable Of getting open. They also need to be able to threaten to throw the ball deep.

Then I think you’re right. Then it comes down to consistency at the quarterback position. Stanley has cut down on the number of mistakes each year, and I’m hoping this is another step forward for him.

But he had a pretty decent year passing last year and we still didn’t open up the running lanes. Teams will keep stacking the box until we make them pay. I think everybody knows that
I would say the run game is just as important as what we see from Stanley, need improvement on run blocking by the OL and the backs seeing the holes/gaps better.

If Stanley is more consistent and the run game improves, I can see a double-digit win season.
For you and everyone:

* do you think our OL is as good as advertised?

* If so, why shouldn't we have an awesome run game?

* why shouldn't we have awesome play action where we throw to open WRs and TEs?

* why shouldn't we expect our 3rd year starting QB to lead this team to double digit wins?

* why not 12-0 again?

;)

I like it when an objective third party rates Iowa's DL and OL best in the west. That's one of the common ingredients to KF's best years - dominate the LOS and everything else falls into place. I think reliance on TEs in the passing game also kind of impacted the running game in 2018 so if some WRs can step up at all, we should see a halfway decent offense (another thing that tends to happen in great seasons under KF is the offense is better than average).

I like it when an objective third party rates Iowa's DL and OL best in the west. That's one of the common ingredients to KF's best years - dominate the LOS and everything else falls into place. I think reliance on TEs in the passing game also kind of impacted the running game in 2018 so if some WRs can step up at all, we should see a halfway decent offense (another thing that tends to happen in great seasons under KF is the offense is better than average).
Yeah, a writer who covers Ohio State says Iowa has the best OL and DL in the West

I honestly wonder if this team might surprise a lot of people

Lots of difficult road games but dang, if you can control BOTH lines of scrimmage, that home field advantage can disappear quickly

For you and everyone:

;)

I should look up PFF, but IIRC Jackson’s run block score was a bit better than Wirfs, who I thought could make a lot of improvement in driving open lanes. Whereas I recall last year watching Jackson and thinking that he was good when the defender made the first move, and then walled him off.

Then we have the interior line. Seemed to allow penetration, likely being overloaded at the point of attack.

Anyway it’s an average to above above average depending on how aggressive the tackles are and whether we can negate penetration

Reactions: buudhawk
I should look up PFF, but IIRC Jackson’s run block score was a bit better than Wirfs, who I thought could make a lot of improvement in driving open lanes. Whereas I recall last year watching Jackson and thinking that he was good when the defender made the first move, and then walled him off.

Then we have the interior line. Seemed to allow penetration, likely being overloaded at the point of attack.

Anyway it’s an average to above above average depending on how aggressive the tackles are and whether we can negate penetration

I think the fact that KF has Linderbaum starting while one of the Paulson's will sit is a testament to Linderbaum's ability.

If they were comparable then KF would start the veteran.

I think our interior line will be much improved.

I think the fact that KF has Linderbaum starting while one of the Paulson's will sit is a testament to Linderbaum's ability.

If they were comparable then KF would start the veteran.

I think our interior line will be much improved.
Its kinda scary to think about but we might have several 3rd year studs leaving early once again after this season:

* Wirfs
* Jackson
* AJ Epensa

Any others I am missing?

Yeah, a writer who covers Ohio State says Iowa has the best OL and DL in the West

I honestly wonder if this team might surprise a lot of people

Lots of difficult road games but dang, if you can control BOTH lines of scrimmage, that home field advantage can disappear quickly

This Iowa team has some very nice pieces. If they had the 2015 schedule (with 2 crossovers of Maryland and Indiana) they would be the odd-on favorite to win the West.

Assuming everyone is healthy, Iowa may very well have the best OL and DL in the West. But the margin between No. 1 and No. 4 in any of these position group rankings is rather small (in my opinion). So it's not as easy as saying "we have the best units." To me the keys for the difference between 6-6/7-5 and 9-3 or better are: a) explosive plays from the running game; and b) better "awareness" or big moments from Stanley. Iowa had a large number of explosive plays in the running game in 2015. I don't have time to go look up how many, but Wadley had huge TD run against NW, Canzeri two long TD runs against Nebraska, Daniels sealed the Minny game with the 50+ yard TD. And Stanley has to hit the open long throws when available, and come through in 1-2 games where Iowa is either up by 3-4 points and needs a TD to seal it or down by 3 with 2 minutes left and needs to score. Of course, it's not just him that will have to perform in those situations. But Iowa will have to do well in close games to have a great season.

Its kinda scary to think about but we might have several 3rd year studs leaving early once again after this season:

* Wirfs
* Jackson
* AJ Epensa

Any others I am missing?

Happens to good teams every year.

Fortunately they are at positions of depth.

We have a lot of talent in the OT pipeline including Kallenberger, Plumb, Endres and Miller.

Losing Epenesa will hurt but I could see Nixon and Shannon developing into dominant tackles. Plus Logan Lee and Waggoner look promising at end. Golston could be back and Vanvalkenburg.

Reactions: easy2
Happens to good teams every year.

Fortunately they are at positions of depth.

We have a lot of talent in the OT pipeline including Kallenberger, Plumb, Endres and Miller.

Losing Epenesa will hurt but I could see Nixon and Shannon developing into dominant tackles. Plus Logan Lee and Waggoner look promising at end. Golston could be back and Vanvalkenburg.
But is it enough to win the national championship?.....

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
For you and everyone:

* why shouldn't we have awesome play action where we throw to open WRs and TEs?

* why shouldn't we expect our 3rd year starting QB to lead this team to double digit wins?

* why not 12-0 again?

;)

I'm all for it.

Iowa has looked impressive if not invincible a few times in the preseason under KF. Other than 2009, those seasons didn't quite live up to expectations. Missed a big opportunity last year, we woulda even had a good shot in the ccg if we had gotten there.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
yeah, last year's 9 win season easily could have been 11
Should have been 11 wins!

Iowa could be an 11 wins this year. Right now the only game that Iowa will be a real underdog ( more than a 7 pts) is Michigan.
Michigan is the only team that will have the better defense, although ISU might be about the same as Iowa.
In addition, Stanley will be the most experienced QB in every game. If he improves and becomes more consistent in his reads and throughs

Reactions: Franisdaman
Should have been 11 wins!

Iowa could be an 11 wins this year. Right now the only game that Iowa will be a real underdog ( more than a 7 pts) is Michigan.
Michigan is the only team that will have the better defense, although ISU might be about the same as Iowa.
In addition, Stanley will be the most experienced QB in every game. If he improves and becomes more consistent in his reads and throughs
i have been at Michigan Stadium for a game once; in 2002, when Iowa destroyed them

I like our chances there; we shall see ;)

Don’t you mean 11-1 if Oliver plays and 8-4 if he doesn’t? I’m so glad his dad lied to you. Whew.
Maybe he didn't want a story to break so soon...hummmmmm But that would be using your head and making a deduction.

Essentially the question is, "Can Stanley lead this team to double digit wins?" All the pieces are there, it's just whether or not Stanley is ready to take that step.... If Stanley really does turn out to be this All-Conference, top notch NFL prospect that he's capable of.... then it'll all trickle down to improvement in the run game and efficiency with our WR's

Agree that Stanley is the key. But he doesn't have to perform at an all-conf or top notch NFL prospect level. He just has to develop average accuracy, buy some time in the pocket for secondary routes to develop, make the plays that are there to be made, find and get to escape gaps, and eliminate the huge mistakes. None of that is asking too much of a starting QB, much less a 3 year starter.

If Iowa runs the table this year (huge if), there's no way they're getting shut out of the playoffs. Due to the schedule, they should be no worse than a 2 seed.

I know it won't be easy, but I am less concerned with our performance against Michigan and Penn State than Minnesota, Northwestern, and Purdue. History shows we tend to do very well against non-OSU good teams... we're apparently inspired to slay Goliath. History also shows we have at times had flat, lacking evidence of an attacking gameplan efforts versus teams well within our means.

2015 certainly shows this organization can do it. But, I think it takes unusual coaching and senior leadership to get there. Frankly and ironically for what one may expect, we don't have history of consistency.

But, so many positive developments in the program indicate healthy growth, I going with a why not approach. Why not? There is not one team on our schedule we cannot beat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT