ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar AND Rasheed Granted 6th year

It was a lock for Cassar so not surprising. For Rasheed he had a solid case in comparison with some of the other recent guys so also not surprising. Next year PSU is going to set a record for the number of 6th year seniors in the lineup.

The team race at NCAAs will be a blast.
Also, we should have a dual in Carver next year (I think) and Big 10 tourney.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
It was a lock for Cassar so not surprising. For Rasheed he had a solid case in comparison with some of the other recent guys so also not surprising. Next year PSU is going to set a record for the number of 6th year seniors in the lineup.

The team race at NCAAs will be a blast.

As mentioned somewhere previously, Gravina may have set the current low bar for 6th-years.

EDIT: And it remains to be seen which of the eligible guys actually compete. Cassar may move on, and Conel may not be the best option. Rasheed is injury-prone.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Yes, getting beat out for your starting spot can now be used as a redshirt. We better ****ing do this with Nelson next year. Let him wrestle one competition then sit him with an injury.

Maybe that is what happened. It did seem like that at the time. But if it is the case then he must have gotten medical documentation for some sort of injury during that time period.

Reactions: slushhead
As mentioned somewhere previously, Gravina may have set the current low bar for 6th-years.

EDIT: And it remains to be seen which of the eligible guys actually compete. Cassar may move on, and Conel may not be the best option. Rasheed is injury-prone.
Was Gravina's situation different though because he never took a redshirt?

Yes, getting beat out for your starting spot can now be used as a redshirt. We better ****ing do this with Nelson next year. Let him wrestle one competition then sit him with an injury.

Maybe that is what happened. It did seem like that at the time. But if it is the case then he must have gotten medical documentation for some sort of injury during that time period.

Rasheed redshirted 2014-15 and was injured much (if not most) of that campaign.

In 2015-16, he couldn't hold weight at 165, and they pulled the plug in late January.

He was not "beat out" in 2016-17. He got injured first semester, Morelli slotted in, and then Hall decided to burn his shirt.

AA'd in his 1st postseason in 2017-18.

DNP in his 2nd postseason in 2018-19.

I'm not sure how the NCAA reviewed his case, but the guy definitely lost a season to injury and was injured his redshirt season. Others have noted a belief that the NCAA is leaning more toward a policy that benefits guys who have not had a shot at 4 postseasons. One might argue that postseason possibilities were lost to injury in 2014-15 and 2016-17, thus making this past season just opportunity #3.

Ashnault might be the most relevant example of this application. Redshirted as a freshman, then AA'd 3 times, then missed his last season to injury, and was granted a 6th year to get a 4th postseason opportunity.

EDIT: Ashnault bio: https://scarletknights.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6797

Last edited:
Expect this new standard to be totally abused by Cael. This is just the start I am sure.

LOL, what standard???? They are doing whatever they want over there! Bizarre happenings are just the norm. Red shirt, grey shirt, 6th year, guys "playing their own way" just to be a part of the team, Refs not knowing what a takedown is even when reviewing it on video........

Is there a reason Rasheed shouldn't get one? I'm honestly not familiar.

As long as if any of our non-starters get hurt they get another year to use if they want. Of course it seems a lot easier to be able to afford to all those years of tuition there.

I was told at ncca’s it was a done deal and they were waiting to announce.
I asked him how he knew, he said:

Google "Cassar sixth year". And change the timeframe to the past 24 hours. Only citations come out of PSU chat rooms. (maybe Adam Schiff leaked it to CNN?)

https://www.google.com/search?q=cas...QoaHhAhVDneAKHS4zC14QpwUIJg&biw=1920&bih=1095

As a reference from last year: Ashnault got his in April; Leeth got his two years in May; and Mickey Phillippi got his in June.

Reactions: pahawk1 and el dub
I’m honestly not that worried or even that upset about shakur getting a sixth. Who’d he beat that scares anyone? Every time he had a chance to prove his worth he sat out or got beat. Yeah he’s good but he’s not a world beater.

Rasheed redshirted 2014-15 and was injured much (if not most) of that campaign.

In 2015-16, he couldn't hold weight at 165, and they pulled the plug in late January.

He was not "beat out" in 2016-17. He got injured first semester, Morelli slotted in, and then Hall decided to burn his shirt.

AA'd in his 1st postseason in 2017-18.

DNP in his 2nd postseason in 2018-19.
Beat me to the punch

LOL, what standard???? They are doing whatever they want over there! Bizarre happenings are just the norm. Red shirt, grey shirt, 6th year, guys "playing their own way" just to be a part of the team, Refs not knowing what a takedown is even when reviewing it on video........

you forgot OTC redshirt......

If it's becoming so easy for a wrestler to be granted a sixth year, why did we not attempt to take advantage of it and sit Stoll for this season? He clearly could've used more time.

And as much as I don't want to see these guys back in their lineup, but if it's true, then good for them. As far as I'm concerned, every college athlete deserves another year of eligibility, especially if one year was lost to injury. After all, we will be pulling this same card with Kemerer.

If it's becoming so easy for a wrestler to be granted a sixth year, why did we not attempt to take advantage of it and sit Stoll for this season? He clearly could've used more time.

And as much as I don't want to see these guys back in their lineup, but if it's true, then good for them. As far as I'm concerned, every college athlete deserves another year of eligibility, especially if one year was lost to injury. After all, we will be pulling this same card with Kemerer.

The NCAA is a cluster F**K! Just look at the transfers they are allowing for football with no sit out year:

Justin Fields to Ohio State (afraid for his life at Georgia)
Tate Martell to Miami University (afraid of losing his position to Fields

The NCAA is a cluster F**K! Just look at the transfers they are allowing for football with no sit out year:

Justin Fields to Ohio State (afraid for his life at Georgia)
Tate Martell to Miami University (afraid of losing his position to Fields
The sit out rule was so petty to begin with. I understand the purpose behind it, but that doesn't make it right.

I'm getting off on a tangite, but the NCAA makes so much money off these kids and then severely handicaps where they go, when and if they want to leave.

And we can't be too upset with this new rule, we did get an immediate year out of DeSanto, amirite?

They probably have a medical doctor on their payroll for the PS wrestling club. Really a sad day in wrestling when you can buy another shot at a championship. Might as well just hire three or four former PS wrestlers to be refs. at the nationals...

Reactions: el dub and hoythawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT