ADVERTISEMENT

Challenge for our Florida posters . . .

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Can you procure a pic of a still standing phone booth from the Sunshine State?

IMG-0750.png

I cannot think of any in my town. Years ago, a good friend/client who owns a franchise of a big chain restaurant had a pay phone inside the building; he got % of the coins in the phone every week. In the late 90s, early 00s he made a lot ot money from it...a few hundred a week, maybe more.
The cell phones changed the game. Dwindled to the point that it was not worth the time it took to count the coins.
My young sons were the first qo noticed they were gone. They asked him what happened to the telephone; it had been gone for three weeks and not a single other customer had noticed.

Reactions: torbee
The history of Florida is a rich tapestry spanning thousands of years, from the pre-Columbian era to the present day. Before the arrival of European explorers, Florida was inhabited by indigenous peoples such as the Calusa, Tequesta, and Timucua tribes, who thrived in the region's diverse ecosystems. In 1513, Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León became the first European to set foot in Florida, claiming the land for Spain and naming it "La Florida" after the Spanish term for "flowery."

Throughout the 16th and 17th centuries, Florida was a key battleground for European powers seeking control of the New World. Spanish settlements such as St. Augustine, founded in 1565, became important outposts in the Spanish Empire's efforts to colonize and convert the indigenous population. However, Florida's strategic location and abundant resources also attracted the attention of other European nations, leading to conflicts with the Spanish and periodic changes in control of the region.

In the 19th century, Florida experienced rapid population growth and economic development fueled by factors such as the arrival of American settlers, the expansion of the railroad system, and the growth of the citrus and cattle industries. The state's warm climate and scenic beauty also made it a popular destination for tourists and winter residents, contributing to the growth of cities like Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

Florida's history has been marked by periods of racial segregation, discrimination, and social unrest, particularly during the Jim Crow era and the civil rights movement of the 20th century. African Americans, Hispanics, and other minority groups faced systemic barriers to education, employment, and political participation, leading to widespread protests and activism aimed at achieving equal rights and opportunities.

Today, Florida is known for its diverse population, vibrant cultural scene, and thriving economy. The state's tourism industry continues to be a major driver of economic growth, attracting millions of visitors each year to its beaches, theme parks, and natural attractions. With its unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty, Florida remains a dynamic and influential part of the United States.

The history of Florida is a rich tapestry spanning thousands of years, from the pre-Columbian era to the present day. Before the arrival of European explorers, Florida was inhabited by indigenous peoples such as the Calusa, Tequesta, and Timucua tribes, who thrived in the region's diverse ecosystems. In 1513, Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León became the first European to set foot in Florida, claiming the land for Spain and naming it "La Florida" after the Spanish term for "flowery."

Throughout the 16th and 17th centuries, Florida was a key battleground for European powers seeking control of the New World. Spanish settlements such as St. Augustine, founded in 1565, became important outposts in the Spanish Empire's efforts to colonize and convert the indigenous population. However, Florida's strategic location and abundant resources also attracted the attention of other European nations, leading to conflicts with the Spanish and periodic changes in control of the region.

In the 19th century, Florida experienced rapid population growth and economic development fueled by factors such as the arrival of American settlers, the expansion of the railroad system, and the growth of the citrus and cattle industries. The state's warm climate and scenic beauty also made it a popular destination for tourists and winter residents, contributing to the growth of cities like Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

Florida's history has been marked by periods of racial segregation, discrimination, and social unrest, particularly during the Jim Crow era and the civil rights movement of the 20th century. African Americans, Hispanics, and other minority groups faced systemic barriers to education, employment, and political participation, leading to widespread protests and activism aimed at achieving equal rights and opportunities.

Today, Florida is known for its diverse population, vibrant cultural scene, and thriving economy. The state's tourism industry continues to be a major driver of economic growth, attracting millions of visitors each year to its beaches, theme parks, and natural attractions. With its unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty, Florida remains a dynamic and influential part of the United States.
Is someone beta testing ai for message boards.

There used to be one in the lobby of Sears Mfg. in Davenport.
I have not been there in quite sometime so I am not sure if it is still there.

Not too far south from Tallahassee is the world's smallest police station, located in a phone booth in Carabbelle FL.

Eeew. No one goes anywhere on Philips except to Lowe’s or BJ Wholesale. No wonder you think the West side is okay.
I lived in Oakleaf area from 2011-2015. Then in Neptune Beach from 2018-2020. the only thing on the Southside Was MRI offices, gun ranges and Palatka...and Village Bread.

I lived in Oakleaf area from 2011-2015. Then in Neptune Beach from 2018-2020. the only thing on the Southside Was MRI offices, gun ranges and Palatka...and Village Bread.
Oakleaf? 😂 it’s okay. You probably felt at home on Philip’s.

The mall seemed like a decent spot 20 years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Most malls were. I’ve been in the OP Mall before when it was safe. Now it’s scary and you do not want to be near the movies there. HS kids
Looking to fight. With guns.

Most malls were. I’ve been in the OP Mall before when it was safe. Now it’s scary and you do not want to be near the movies there. HS kids
Looking to fight. With guns.

Yeah, I've seen headlines about fights, violence, increased security, etc. Sad, went to that movie theater a lot back then. I've been back to the mall a couple times over the last 5-10 years, but that was usually in the day when school was in session. Might need to check out that cupcake store recommended by @FAUlty Gator next time I'm back though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT