ADVERTISEMENT

CJ vs Wieskamp

I think with Joe we knew he’d be good from the time he committed early in his hs career. He has met expectations for sure .

If people are like me , I thought with CJ coming to Iowa was another fallback guard and assumed he would be Josh Ogelsby or Brady Ellingson. Nothing to get excited about. I can’t remember a freshman came in and so vastly exceeded my expectations from day 1 (Not counting the red shirt year we didn’t see him)

I think with Joe we knew he’d be good from the time he committed early in his hs career. He has met expectations for sure .

If people are like me , I thought with CJ coming to Iowa was another fallback guard and assumed he would be Josh Ogelsby or Brady Ellingson. Nothing to get excited about. I can’t remember a freshman came in and so vastly exceeded my expectations from day 1 (Not counting the red shirt year we didn’t see him)

Comparing them is silly. Each guy is unique. Both are very crucial to Iowa's success. Wieskamp draws the best perimeter defender on each opponent and is the focus of every team's scouting report on the perimeter. He also is usually tasked with guarding the opponent's best perimeter player when Iowa is in man. So much is asked of him.

If everyone now in the rotation stays healthy, this team is very difficult to guard. Wieskamp and Frederick are both elite-level shooters, and defenses are forced to stay tight to them which gives more space to Garza. So then teams basically ignore Conor and Evelyn on the perimeter, so you have nights like last night when Conor goes 2-3 from 3-point range and Evelyn goes 2-4. If teams choose to play everyone tight on the perimeter, then Garza can go nuts.

Both CJ and Wieskamp are well-rounded players. Elite shooters, but more than that too.

Fredrick and JoeW look to be similar athletically (quickness/hops/top end speed). JoeW has 2-3 inches on Fredrick and has pretty good knack for rebounding. Fredrick looks to be better shooter. Both are really quality players. I think JoeW still needs to show more as far as being able to drive and create his own shot to become a 1st round NBA draft choice---hopefully he doesn't leave after this year.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
I don't think this was necessary.
I don’t think your contributions are necessary to this debate since you have nothing to add[/QUOTE]
I added. The Hawks just won a couple of games and you have to compare two players and decide one is better. I add, why is this necessary, why now?

Although CJ may look like a better shooter, he doesn't force it at all. JW has to kind of force it to keep things (us) going, so he has much tougher shots in my opinion.

Reactions: hawks_dg
I love Wizzy,but love CFK more. Both great players. When its said and done.CFK will be the better player. He has an aggressive streak that is missing from Wizzy=Uthoff

giphy.gif

I've been saying if for a while.... I think CJ had a higher ceiling. I don't think Joe is a great ball handler or a great passer. He IS a great shooter and is very tough inside (rebounding and scoring). CJ seems more fluid... and has a better feel for the game. Good problem to have... both guys probably borderline NBA players eventually.

Nice problem to debate. I just hope we get to see them play together two more years. Because of his length, JoeW would probably get the edge for any chance to play in the NBA, but as college players, I would rate them very evenly. CJ is a little better ball handler and creator, but JoeW is a little better rebounder. Both are really good shooters. Both can create and take the ball to the hoop. Both are really tough, consistent defenders. Both seem to have plus floor games and BB IQs.

With the return of a healthy JBo, a step forward in consistency from JoeT, Connor continuing to do whatever needs to be done on both ends, and maybe even some contributions from the two incoming guards, Iowa should be deeper and better on the perimeter than anytime since maybe the team that Dr. Tom inherited.

CJ has an edge on Weezy and it's something super subtle. If you watch him compared to Weezy, he's very aggressive with the ball as soon as he catches, he lunges forward to create space immediately. This translates to moving quickly with the ball. Weezy seems to be stagnate at times. He's more of a set shooter, but Weezy is very deliberate with his movements. If you watch him, he's very very smart with the ball and slows down to create the necessary space and shots when he is driving.
To me, it seems almost as if CJ has more athleticism and the killer attitude, where Weezy has more of the IQ and better set shot (when open). If Weezy could have that killer instinct, he might be a stronger threat.

This is by no ways a knock on Weezy, it's just that I see CJ as the killer instinct along with Garza. Weezy will always get his points, with the IQ he has and the great outside stroke. It just seems like CJ has that quicker step and killer tenacity.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this? Anyone else notice how CJ attacks immediately even if it's to gain 2 - 3 feet more separation and then drives or kicks?

I love Wizzy,but love CFK more. Both great players. When its said and done.CFK will be the better player. He has an aggressive streak that is missing from Wizzy=Uthoff

I just posted the "killer instinct" in this thread. I agree with the aggressiveness. Weezy is good, not a knock on him at all, and I think Weezy has the better IQ, he is very deliberate with his game. CJ is just a great baller. I do think Weezy has tougher match ups, but little things like taking an aggressive step or dribble to create space, CJ has the edge. Weezy has a better stroke from downtown. They are both great, and neither are better than the other, but if Weezy had just a bit more edge to his aggressiveness, he would be unstoppable.

I don’t think your contributions are necessary to this debate since you have nothing to add
I added. The Hawks just won a couple of games and you have to compare two players and decide one is better. I add, why is this necessary, why now?[/QUOTE]

Clearly a lot of people are interested in reading and contributing to the discussion and debate. Why are you on my sac?

JFC! JW took over the Maryland game; I love CJF’s game, but let me know when he does what JW does. Opponents prepare for JW, most haven’t even heard of CJ yet.

CJ and Weezie are both great. In the ups and downs of a long season having both on the floor gives options especially with JBo out.

I think Weezie draws more defensive attention from the opposing team than does CJ. Other teams have more film on Weezie so they can better prepare against him as well.

CJ and Weezie are both great. In the ups and downs of a long season having both on the floor gives options especially with JBo out.

I think Weezie draws more defensive attention from the opposing team than does CJ. Other teams have more film on Weezie so they can better prepare against him as well.
As for the latter, Weiskamp was a pre-season Big Ten 1st teamer, so it stands to reason opponents would have him higher on their "watch this guy" list.

CJ is going to make that pre-season team as well before he's done at Iowa. (hopefully they're both on it at the end of those years too!).

Joe is a volume shooter who hunts his shots. CJ is a terrific passer who gets the ball out of his hands vs over dribbling like Joe. Joe seems to look CJ off alot while CJ is always finding Joe and screening. CJ is a way better defender, handler, passer... Joe is more of a scorer rebounder. Both terrific players.

Dude...JW is not a shot hunter..i wish he was. Hes not....keep trying

On a related topic, who starts next year when JBo returns? I'd love to see teams try to defend the 3-point line plus Garza with Weiskamp, Frederick and JBo all on the floor at the same time. I hope they all return for next season.
4 guards and Luka. With Conner playing so much better at 4, I think he’ll be there till he graduates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT