ADVERTISEMENT

Conservative Kirk Costs Us Again

Hawkeye 1992

Rookie
Mar 8, 2019
Kirk is still coaching like it is 1995, he uses an outdated offense (never been in the top 100 in his tenure) and a conservative approach to try not to lose games. There is never a sense of urgency from him or his staff. He has a bad OC (nepotism), even worse QB coach (friend). We win 6 to 10 a year by developing kids (except QB's, Nate Stanley even said it), getting some lucky breaks and defense. What would happen if we had an offense? What would happen if we tried to win by more than 7? What would happen if we would play the game as every other team plays in the 21st century? I would love to see it, another winnable game against a team we should have beat. Kirk needs to look in the mirror and take the blame for his staff and his choices. He should either retire, or change, start with demoting your son to line coach, Fire KOK and lets get an OC that can use our talent to win games. IT IS TIME FOR CHANGE.

What Stanley said was about mechanics of throwing. They are developed. Reading the D, progressions, looking off safety, and the between the ears stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: Ebby Mcflowerton
yes 100%. when they pay conservatve and win it's because the other team choked. when they play consevative and lose it's because they choked.

I am not sure if you are being serious, but there is some truth to this when most games are decided by less than a touchdown. At that point, it comes down to which team executes better and makes one or two more plays.

That being said, posters calling for wholesale changes or for Kirk to step aside after a ten win season are being foolish as neither will happen. Hoping that Kirk makes some personnel or scheme changes in the off season is more realistic.

• Haha
Reactions: not_mantiteo
Really limited on what you can do in that situation with a QB Petras has not the quickness to execute a keeper or bootleg. With the the whole Kentucky defense and it's fatties all packed over center the Iowa sneak that has worked so well did not look feasable, especially when Petras bobbled snap earlier on one.

with defense was packed in tight...you'd think a play action short pass to TE or QB waggle/bootleg would really catch them and seal the game. Or you just do a quick toss to back with lead blocker outside and see if they can drive the ball 1 yard or more....control you're destiny. With so much time left, and other team being in 4 down mode....really asking a lot for defense to shut them down (and poor punt didn't help)

Once again, Petras lack of mobility is a big factor to offense being conservative. Personally, I'd let Padilla get the nod to start the 2nd half. See what he could do. It's the bowl game, not first game of the season Kirk!!, plus he earned the opportunity to do that. Just got a feeling the quicker Padilla may have got some things going consistently on KY.

Kirk is still coaching like it is 1995, he uses an outdated offense (never been in the top 100 in his tenure) and a conservative approach to try not to lose games. There is never a sense of urgency from him or his staff. He has a bad OC (nepotism), even worse QB coach (friend). We win 6 to 10 a year by developing kids (except QB's, Nate Stanley even said it), getting some lucky breaks and defense. What would happen if we had an offense? What would happen if we tried to win by more than 7? What would happen if we would play the game as every other team plays in the 21st century? I would love to see it, another winnable game against a team we should have beat. Kirk needs to look in the mirror and take the blame for his staff and his choices. He should either retire, or change, start with demoting your son to line coach, Fire KOK and lets get an OC that can use our talent to win games. IT IS TIME FOR CHANGE.
What stat are you using for saying hasn’t been top 100 in his tenure?

Reactions: HawkeyeFever62
This is a coach that doesn’t bench a QB for scoring 3 points in a half.

Or sometimes 0 points in a half.

Or sometimes can’t make a play to get a first down several drives in a row.

Apparently every other QB in the program is worse than that. Or so KF would make it seem.

I am not sure if you are being serious, but there is some truth to this when most games are decided by less than a touchdown. At that point, it comes down to which team executes better and makes one or two more plays.

That being said, posters calling for wholesale changes or for Kirk to step aside after a ten win season are being foolish as neither will happen. Hoping that Kirk makes some personnel or scheme changes in the off season is more realistic.
Here’s the thing…

10 wins is cool, but the bowl game served as a microcosm for Kirks entire career. FFS it’s the last game of the year and nothing more than an exhibition, why not play to win and play to have fun? Take a risk that won’t impact your standing in the big 10, that season is over. Yet here we have it, another gutless punt and refusal to rely on the offense to seal the game, because deep down he knows it’s atrocious.
Who does he have to blame for this? I’m going to say himself, hiring an unqualified nitwit, who just so happens to be his son.
F Kirk, I can’t wait until he’s gone

Here’s the thing…

10 wins is cool, but the bowl game served as a microcosm for Kirks entire career. FFS it’s the last game of the year and nothing more than an exhibition, why not play to win and play to have fun? Take a risk that won’t impact your standing in the big 10, that season is over. Yet here we have it, another gutless punt and refusal to rely on the offense to seal the game, because deep down he knows it’s atrocious.
Who does he have to blame for this? I’m going to say himself, hiring an unqualified nitwit, who just so happens to be his son.
F Kirk, I can’t wait until he’s gone
So you're bigly pissed off and want people fired over a game you tried to argue doesn't matter, because it's an exhibition (your words).................

Interesting.

So you're bigly pissed off and want people fired over a game you tried to argue doesn't matter, because it's an exhibition (your words).................

Interesting.
That’s your take? Do yourself a favor and look up the word “microcosm” in the dictionary, or online. Educate yourself, because right now, you don’t possess the intellect to ever address me again.
Kthx

That’s your take? Do yourself a favor and look up the word “microcosm” in the dictionary, or online. Educate yourself, because right now, you don’t possess the intellect to ever address me again.
Kthx
Ya know, I feel like I do possess the intellect to address you again.

I think the question is.......do you possess the restraint to never respond to me again? :cool:

Speaking of, I get that you're a bitter bag of salt, I just found it funny that you made it clear in your post that this particular game is what set you over the edge, while going on about how the game was a meaningless exhibition.

So if it was so meaningless.............

honestgleamingarmadillo-size_restricted-gif.351536

As long as Phil Parker stays, does anyone really think Ferentz and his boy leaving would send our program spiralling downward? Phil Parker wont be around forever and we're wasting him. This is honestly the perfect time to call Bob Stoops and roll out that red carpet he always wanted. Start Labas and L Williams, find some ****ing receivers in the portal, and curbstomp the west for the next 5 years.

Reactions: frydaze
As long as Phil Parker stays, does anyone really think Ferentz and his boy leaving would send our program spiralling downward? Phil Parker wont be around forever and we're wasting him. This is honestly the perfect time to call Bob Stoops and roll out that red carpet he always wanted. Start Labas and L Williams, find some ****ing receivers in the portal, and curbstomp the west for the next 5 years.
defense is great, no probs. they need a passing game.

It's called Ferentz Fatigue

I’m all for giving Labas the chance to show what he’s got, but hell if we’re doing all the rest of that stuff, why not get aggressive on Williams from OU or another transfer QB who we already KNOW is a step up?

There are people who naturally think that, unfortunately. I'm not one of those who think that way though. But I heard the same stuff when people were contemplating the day Hayden left going back to the mid-1990s. Some people just are content with this way of thinking.

As far as now suddenly several here turning to a true freshman in Labas and throwing tons of hope into him, that's a dangerous game to play. When Kirk says in bowl prep he's nowhere near ready to go it tells me that thinking he's just going to step in next season without ever playing a down and be the total solution to the QB play/sputtering offense that's gambler's talk.

Curious if you will be banned for being critical of Kirk. At the Nebraska site, anyone critical of Frost are banned. The propaganda is strong and only glowing positive praises of Frost are alowed.

Kirk and Brian really need to meet with analytics experts with how to decide to go for first downs and touchdowns to improve their decision making in game like the pro teams and Nick Saban at Alabama always looking to improve and get an advantage over the competition. It was interesting to me to see pro teams going for touchdowns instead of kicking field goals that still might win them the game this last weekend. It works out for the Bengals and not for the Jets.

We need to see better decision making from KF, no doubt but we don’t need to see him out with the huge recruiting haul that can be the 23 recruiting class. It would be disastrous to make a change this year or prior to next season unless that change is Bob Stoops. And that ain’t gonna happen.

Overall, Iowa is a good team with the weak spot being the offense as we all know and hope KF makes some changes and improves it by bringing in an offensive passing game coordinator to help his OC if he is not willing to make a coordinator change.

So when are you gonna change?

It's not about being conservative; it's about calling plays that give your team the best chance of winning. Yes, it's called "analytics." If you reject analytics because you don't understand it, fine. Hire somebody who does, and let them call the plays. Or leave the program. That 4th down call was a joke.

It's not about being conservative; it's about calling plays that give your team the best chance of winning. Yes, it's called "analytics." If you reject analytics because you don't understand it, fine. Hire somebody who does, and let them call the plays. Or leave the program. That 4th down call was a joke.
They do have an analytics guy idiot.

Reactions: BBHawk
LOL, what a crock !

How do you know they ignored him? Did you do all of the math? Even Chuck long said punting was the right choice
No, but I'll give it a shot. We needed what -- a foot? -- on 4th down. The odds of the Hawks converting was about 75%. If we make it, and then later have to punt, KY gets it back with less than two min. on the clock and no TO's, DEEP in their territory. Very slim chance of winning. If we go for it and fail to convert, KY gets the ball at mid-field with 2? TO's and plenty of time. So basically the same challenge, except maybe 35 fewer yards to go.

PUNTING WAS A TERRIBLE CALL AND LIKELY COST US THE GAME.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
No, but I'll give it a shot. We needed what -- a foot? -- on 4th down. The odds of the Hawks converting was about 75%. If we make it, and then later have to punt, KY gets it back with less than two min. on the clock and no TO's, DEEP in their territory. Very slim chance of winning. If we go for it and fail to convert, KY gets the ball at mid-field with 2? TO's and plenty of time. So basically the same challenge, except maybe 35 fewer yards to go.

PUNTING WAS A TERRIBLE CALL AND LIKELY COST US THE GAME.
Only one thing you said involved analytics and it was likely very wrong.

Just one season I would truly like to have Kirk with listen only headset. Kirk can mange every other aspect of the program, but on gameday I would like him to be an observer.
Some may think me an idiot or a fool as that will never happen, and I am okay with that.
My thought process is that a CEO sometimes needs to remove themselves from something and actually look from a different perspective. Are my assistants and coordinators managing through me or in spite of me.
Just a crazy thought.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Not arguing with your post, but pointing out that the play that was completely wrong was second down and four. Everyone knew we were going to run the ball and we ran the ball. If we try to throw for a first down on second down and we get the first down, we have four more downs towards running off the little over three minutes on the clock.
By running for two yards on second down and going to third and two, we are right back in the column that statistics says on third and two at that point of the game, we run the ball. Kentucky was never made to wonder what Kirk was going to do. Everyone knew in the stadium and it was deflating. So we then run the ball.
A pass on second down at least makes Kentucky think you may throw again...

Reactions: bawlmerhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT