ADVERTISEMENT

Cyclones getting their asses kicked by G5 Memphis

Isu does not play well outside of the Big12. A mystery why that was at +10, but that was as easy a win as I've had in a while. Thank you Tigers.

This might be the only ISU loss in the last ten years that Clone fans won't blame on game officials!
And they had zero turnovers, so this wasn't some fluke loss.
It was a new level of SUCK.
It was easy to find a number of complaints about the officials on Fanatic.

Reactions: Iowa Gobbler
BIG12 will be a G-5 shortly with the 2 big boys leaving. Utah and Arizona will now be the big dogs for a while anyway. BIG12 recruiting #s were bad this year with Texas Tech leading the way at # 23. BIG10 and SEC dominating the recruiting #s and will continue!

Reactions: MitchLL
Some other team with deeper pockets is gonna come for Rocco. If not in the April portal it will be after next year if he stays playing this well.

Reactions: shudaddy
Exhibition game. Lots of talent returning to Ames next year. More exciting than the circus in Iowa City!
Iowa state had 1 player opt out other than the ones that jumped ship before the season was over which were 2nd and 3rd string RBs.

Exhibition game. Lots of talent returning to Ames next year. More exciting than the circus in Iowa City!
Well for your sake I hope they replace that "exciting" defense and run offense. That was bad.

BTW does it make the pain go away by coming on the Iowa board to try to trash a 10 or 11 win team that beat you (and have for years)? I am trying to understand the needy mentality. No friends? Hobbies? Pets?

Memphis was a better team than Iowa state. With that said, Memphis would beat a lot of teams. Looked up their schedule and their 3 losses were a 7 point loss to Mizzou, 10 to Tulane and 4 to SMU.

It's true! Lots of positives in the game! After all, Isu put up just as many rushing yards as Nebraska did in their bowl game!
Clone fans will talk about all the passing yards. Sure spin that into narrative how great offense will be next year. One thing I’ll give them is Higgins is a very good wr and Noel a good slot guy. Higgins reminds me of Hakeem butler where he bailed them out a lot with throwing it up and winning lot of 50/50 balls.

However looking at stats and drive charts. Isu literally got half their passing yards after they were down 36-13 against bad Memphis D in last 3 drives. Lot of garbage yards. One of those misleading stat lines. Because when it mattered first 3 qtrs becht and isu offense wasn’t delivering. Their OL is still bad and why when they faced Ds with talent on the line like Iowa and TX they struggled. I’ll take anyone of Iowa’s rb over sama. They could be hurting at rb depth next year. Find it funny their fans were ready to give him the doak Walker for next year after kstate and follows it up with 12 carries for 4 yards.

Reactions: warriors dad
Lil Matty missed the boat(Sorry, PJ) on getting a better job.

But getting $4.5M to suck in Ames is still a pretty good gig.

Can't imagine getting stomped yesterday helps encourage fans to contribute to NIL though.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
There’s not a lot of talent returning. That’s just the narrative out of Ames. Look up and down the rosters of other schools. The talent’s better. But Iowa State media being Iowa State media, they like to sell hope, sunshine and BS at every turn. And it works for most fans. I mean, what is this, the 23rd year in a row Iowa State has had such a “young” team? A team “on the rise”? A more “exciting” team than Iowa? And as always, the results on the field don’t back any of it up.

Clone fans will talk about all the passing yards. Sure spin that into narrative how great offense will be next year. One thing I’ll give them is Higgins is a very good wr and Noel a good slot guy.

However looking at stats and drive charts. Isu literally got half their passing yards after they were down 36-13 against bad Memphis D. Lot of garbage yards. One of those misleading stat lines. Because when it mattered first 3 qtrs becht and isu offense wasn’t delivering. Their OL is still bad and why when they faced Ds with talent on the line like Iowa and TX they struggled. I’ll take anyone of Iowa’s rb over sama. They could be hurting at rb depth next year. Find it funny their fans were ready to give him the doak Walker for next year after kstate and follows it up with 12 carries for 4 yards.
The stats vs KSU come with a huge asterisk. Running backs have a HUGE advantage playing in 6-8" of snow when defenders can't move side to side.

The stats vs KSU come with a huge asterisk. Running backs have a HUGE advantage playing in 6-8" of snow when defenders can't move side to side.
That was one of the worst displays of tackling I’ve ever seen by one team in a game. One time on long run kstate guy literally shoved him forward creating more separation for him.

Reactions: Birky and MitchLL
Almost 24 hours later, a few thoughts...

As much as I hate to say it, ISU has probably reached their ceiling. I suffered through the Criner + Walden years, so I will never be overly disappointed in a 7-6 year that ended in a bowl. Outside of the OU game (a 50-20 loss), ISU was in every game this year. I won't play the "what if" game (loser mentality), but they aren't that far away.

I like Campbell and think he is probably the best we can do. Any new coach will be another guy like Campbell - younger, unproven, from MAC level school or a OC or DC from a P5 school. I won't say "we are stuck with him" because he has done a good job. When any coach is there for a decent amount of time (8 years); you get tired of the same message. He's fine.

My point is if ISU gets to 7-5, maybe 8-4, every year most ISU fans "should be" ecstatic. If the ball bounces the right way, and they get to 9-3+ once in a while we should be overjoyed....but we are foolish to think we are a program "at that level". We aren't, and that's ok.

With a new Big 12, maybe they can get there? I'm not counting on it, but will always remain hopeful. Yes, they have 20 starters returning, but there are a lot of issues. Yesterday's game exposed quite a few things. Again, keeping Rocco is the key.

As always, Cyclone fans hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Yesterday sucked, but not a huge deal. Memphis played great. Kudos to them!

Anyway, good luck to the Hawks on Monday.

There’s not a lot of talent returning. That’s just the narrative out of Ames. Look up and down the rosters of other schools. The talent’s better. But Iowa State media being Iowa State media, they like to sell hope, sunshine and BS at every turn. And it works for most fans. I mean, what is this, the 23rd year in a row Iowa State has had such a “young” team? A team “on the rise”? A more “exciting” team than Iowa? And as always, the results on the field don’t back any of it up.
Correct, young does not equal talented.

Lil Matty missed the boat(Sorry, PJ) on getting a better job.

But getting $4.5M to suck in Ames is still a pretty good gig.

Can't imagine getting stomped yesterday helps encourage fans to contribute to NIL though.
Yeah, and Matt Campbell can keep cashing these big checks by going 6-6 to 8-4. ISU isnt going to get a better coach or look for one unless there are several 4 wins a season or less in a row. ISU has never been able to string together a string of 5 really good seasons in a row.

Not counting covid year the hawks have 4 out of 8 seasons with double digit wins and the other years are 8 to 9 wins.

Last edited:
Yeah, and Matt Campbell can keep cashing these big checks by going 6-6 to 8-4. ISU isnt going to get a better coach or look for one unless there are several 4 wins a season or less in a row. ISU has never been able to string together a string of 5 really good seasons in a row.
Clone fans still point to Covid season as their high water mark.

Every other program in the country just removes it from any discussion because of the unique nature of so many teams not playing full schedules.

BIG12 will be a G-5 shortly with the 2 big boys leaving. Utah and Arizona will now be the big dogs for a while anyway. BIG12 recruiting #s were bad this year with Texas Tech leading the way at # 23. BIG10 and SEC dominating the recruiting #s and will continue!
BIG 10 is no where near the SEC orbit. The SEC has pulled away from everyone, and that is not going to change.
The Big 12 will compete well against most of the BIG 10, but not against the SEC. Michigan is doomed against the Crimson Tide.

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT