ADVERTISEMENT

Day 1 grades

Hawkeye4lifee

HR All-State
Jan 10, 2019
I wanna see what you all would give for grades after day one, im not gonna put any explanation into it but here goes
Lee A
Desanto A
Murin A+
Lugo B+
Young A+
Marinelli A
Wilcke B-
Warner D+
Stoll A

Remember, Warner is a freakin Freshman! You guys are all nuts for raggin on him. There have been many Iowa greats not to AA as a freshman.

I didn’t rag on him, I just simply said he didn’t get it done.

Remember, Warner is a freakin Freshman! You guys are all nuts for raggin on him. There have been many Iowa greats not to AA as a freshman.
Hate to disagree with you here but Warner was a blue chipper, and he should’ve won that match. He has also had a year going on two in the room...lee came off of acl surgery and won it all in a loaded bracket. Not that that’s a fair comparison to warner but he should produce. If he battles back to 5th or better I will shut up butt in the end he’s better than that loss. That was just bad.

Warner’s gas tank for his 2nd year in the program is a red flag. Maybe his back injury from jr wc affected him more than we thought but he had no business loosing that match. Hopefully he does damage on the back side and hopefully he’s a new man next year

Lee B+. He is winning by large margins, but doesn’t look crisp and showed some struggles finishing after getting in deep. Ton of heart though.

DeSanto A. He is jackhammer from start to finish and his technique has improved considerably throughout the season.

Murin A- I know 22seeds aren’t supposed to make the quarters, but I honestly thought he was better than both guys he beat. Finally, he won the tight matches against that type of competition.

Lugo B. He has GOT to find a way to get to his offense when guys keep there hips back. His length deficiency puts him at a serious disadvantage to guys that won’t press forward in the ties. Still, he got it done.

Young A. I was one year off on this guy as I thought he would be able to do this at 174 last year. Now that I see he could make 157 and go full bore, I see 174 was too much to ask. Thing of beauty so far.

Marinelli A. Heart, heart, heart. If anyone can navigate the minefield in front of him, he is that guy.

Wilcke B- He was VERY close to beating a proven AA and was as aggressive as I have seen him. He just ran out of gas against a kid with a strong motor. The effort was there.

Warner C- A lot of his problems seem mental. He just doesn’t seem to make quick decisions and looks like he takes time off here and there. Hopefully he gets his confidence back and goes full bore in the consis.

Stoll A. I kept saying he was going to let it all fly at NCAAs, but his performance at B1Gs almost didn’t let him even get here. If he places, they should put an X-ray of his knee up on the Wall of a Fame!

Overall performance so far: B+

Tomorrow is where team titles are won and lost, but they have at least positioned themselves about as well as anyone could realistically expect.

Lee B+. He is winning by large margins, but doesn’t look crisp and showed some struggles finishing after getting in deep. Ton of heart though.

DeSanto A. He is jackhammer from start to finish and his technique has improved considerably throughout the season.

Murin A- I know 22seeds aren’t supposed to make the quarters, but I honestly thought he was better than both guys he beat. Finally, he won the tight matches against that type of competition.

Lugo B. He has GOT to find a way to get to his offense when guys keep there hips back. His length deficiency puts him at a serious disadvantage to guys that won’t press forward in the ties. Still, he got it done.

Young A. I was one year off on this guy as I thought he would be able to do this at 174 last year. Now that I see he could make 157 and go full bore, I see 174 was too much to ask. Thing of beauty so far.

Marinelli A. Heart, heart, heart. If anyone can navigate the minefield in front of him, he is that guy.

Wilcke B- He was VERY close to beating a proven AA and was as aggressive as I have seen him. He just ran out of gas against a kid with a strong motor. The effort was there.

Warner C- A lot of his problems seem mental. He just doesn’t seem to make quick decisions and looks like he takes time off here and there. Hopefully he gets his confidence back and goes full bore in the consis.

Stoll A. I kept saying he was going to let it all fly at NCAAs, but his performance at B1Gs almost didn’t let him even get here. If he places, they should put an X-ray of his knee up on the Wall of a Fame!

Tomorrow is where team titles are won and lost, but they have at least positioned themselves about as well as anyone could realistically expect.

Amen

He gave him a grade that was appropriate for today’s performance. As the five seed He beat the 28 by 1 point and lost to the 21.

The 1 point win as a negative is disingenuous. He could have coasted to a 7 point win, but put himself in a bad position trying to get bonus points. Granted, some of his decisions warrant questioning, but he controlled that kid.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk

Pretty fair analysis. Thought Lee did well with a lot of shots, and even looked like he put a lot of thought into quick shot / early finish, but just couldn't get it done with the length of Faustz (sp?). Execution just not top notch, but effort was great.

Kind of pissed DeSanto let RBY try to make it a "hero match" with a plan to stall and make one good scramble work at the end. Can't let that happen IMO. That could have went the other way very easily at the end. No reason to be that close. DeSanto is far better than RBY, show it. He persevered, and I'm happy as hell for him.

I wish Lugo was 5'9". His arsenal is severely limited because of his diminutive stature. But 2-0 is good (the luckiest guy in the tournament in the 2nd match OT - but good for him).

Murin won 2 matches, damn good for him. Young was OUTSTANDING. Stoll was good. Wilcke was good too, for most of the 2 matches. Brain fart put him in the consi's. That sucked. Warner was good until late twice. Not good.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I’ve been taking it easy on warner, but he ain’t what I thought he’d be right now. People are ok to be skeptical.. psu has blue chippers bonus in the first year. Bar is set high, let’s climb.
Okay, tell me how high the bar is for PS 125, 133, 141 and 149? If they all get your A+ then you can kiss my ---..Oh, let's throw in 184..:rolleyes:

Warner’s gas tank for his 2nd year in the program is a red flag. Maybe his back injury from jr wc affected him more than we thought but he had no business loosing that match. Hopefully he does damage on the back side and hopefully he’s a new man next year
Cut the back excuse.

People complaining about this and that about Warner have obviously not paid real close attention to him since he committed. All the things getting complained about have been there since day 1. He has made improvements and will continue to do so but some people have an idea in their mind that is just not there yet, he shows flashes but still a work in progress.

Warner gassed himself out trying to ride in the 1st period. Not sure who's decision that was, but it was a bad one. That takedown he got was an easy one. Could have had at least two more.

Warner gassed himself out trying to ride in the 1st period. Not sure who's decision that was, but it was a bad one. That takedown he got was an easy one. Could have had at least two more.

That is definitely a case of hindsight is 20/20. In most cases a hard ride after the 1st takedown, riding out the period, destroys the bottom guy physically and mentally. He won't choose down and is highly unlikely to choose top. So, you essentially have a 3-0 lead and will basically have the choice to wrestle 2 periods in neutral or choose down and escape. The problem was, he chose down and did NOT escape and got taken down and didn't escape again.

Alot of people were excited about Warner and rightfully so, but he has a way to go to meet those expectations.
I believe some of those high expectations come from articles written and yes some flashes of being a good wrestler.
There were a few that posted red flags after watching his work ethic in practice and getting pretty much owned by Bowman during workouts.
At this point if he AA that's a plus, but he has away to go, his conditioning, mental lapses, getting out from underneath and his lack of attacking offense need work. Bright side hes a freshman and they all can be worked on and improved, so let's not write him off.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Not only is he a freshman, he's wrestling a grown mans weight .
Little different than being a freshman at 25,33, or 41 .

Reactions: IAChief32
I seem to recall a freshman last year that struggled at Big Tens and the NCAA's and got rode by tough riders fairly easily. He seems to be doing "ok" this year! If Warner can forget yesterday and wrestle smart today, he can still AA and could finish 3-5 with a good Friday/Saturday. He wasn't beating Bo in the semis, which means 3rd was the ceiling before as well. I know he doesn't look at it like that, but he needs to get it together mentally today and win some matches on the backside, hopefully by bonus. Lets see how he bounces back today before we get to critical of him.

That is definitely a case of hindsight is 20/20. In most cases a hard ride after the 1st takedown, riding out the period, destroys the bottom guy physically and mentally. He won't choose down and is highly unlikely to choose top. So, you essentially have a 3-0 lead and will basically have the choice to wrestle 2 periods in neutral or choose down and escape. The problem was, he chose down and did NOT escape and got taken down and didn't escape again.

He scored that takedown SO EARLY in the first. That's the bad decision part. and yeah. completely compounded the problem by getting ridden out.

I seem to recall a freshman last year that struggled at Big Tens and the NCAA's and got rode by tough riders fairly easily. He seems to be doing "ok" this year! If Warner can forget yesterday and wrestle smart today, he can still AA and could finish 3-5 with a good Friday/Saturday. He wasn't beating Bo in the semis, which means 3rd was the ceiling before as well. I know he doesn't look at it like that, but he needs to get it together mentally today and win some matches on the backside, hopefully by bonus. Lets see how he bounces back today before we get to critical of him.
He bounced back pretty well at Big Ten's. Hoping for the same today. He's a guy we need to show up for Iowa's team chances.

You do realize the tournament isn't over for Warner right?
I do, especially because I was in Pittsburgh watching the team. Take a look at what I was responding to. The fact that he DID AA actually makes my point that much stronger. People were ragging on him, as a bust, for falling in the QF match. I replied to remind "fans" that he is a freshman and that people are judging him way too early. He finished 7th and had a bad year in my opinion - he can really only go up from here in my opinion.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
I do, especially because I was in Pittsburgh watching the team. Take a look at what I was responding to. The fact that he DID AA actually makes my point that much stronger. People were ragging on him, as a bust, for falling in the QF match. I replied to remind "fans" that he is a freshman and that people are judging him way too early. He finished 7th and had a bad year in my opinion - he can really only go up from here in my opinion.
No it doesn't make your point any stronger. If you believe that though, fine by me.

There were 2 posts, yes, 2 posts that gave a D+ and a failing grade for DAY ONE when you responded! A match they thought he should have won apparently, as a #5 seed over a #21.

"People were ragging on him for being a bust". You're over dramatizing the situation in my opinion, but free country and all so....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT