ADVERTISEMENT

Do you answer your front door when strangers knock?

BrianNole777

HR All-American
Jan 27, 2023
Spring is almost here and strangers will be knocking on your door. I stopped answering a year ago. 99% of the time it's a salesperson.

I wish I stopped ages ago.

Do you answer the door when strangers knock? What was the result?

Reactions: Moral
Only when the OP's mom gives the secret knock.
image.jpg

Thanksfully i currently live in a building that isnt accessible unless you have a key or someone lets you in so i dont have to deal with it.

Dont get me started about the Kirby door to door salespeople tho. They are the reason i quit answering the door before i lived where i currently do.

I don't think I could count on 1 hand the number of times a stranger has knocked on my front door since I moved into this house 4 years ago.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Yes. I'm not a coward or paranoid.

I also lived in the Chicago, NY, Baltimore and DC areas. And answered doors when living in those areas.

Never carried protection. Stayed in hotels in cities all over the country, Europe and Canada in my career.

30 years. No threatening situations.

Last edited:
Yes. I'm not a coward or paranoid.

I also lived in the Chicago, NY, Baltimore and DC areas. And answered to doors when living in those areas.

Pussies.

What percentage of your door knockers were salespeople, Jehova's Witnesses or Mormons?

Not since this:

"It has happen to me a couple times. My go-to is usually to ignore the door and wonder who the hell was at my door after they leave. It usually leaves behind an uneasy feeling for a bit. To be fair I also do the same thing during the day time. One time I didn't ignore it and it was the neighbor kids that had just learned a new ballet arrangement and they made me watch them for like 3 minutes. It was about as awkward of a situation as I have ever been in. CSB"

They tried to return again recently and I made a run for the basement. Before that it was all windows salesmen, solar salesman, some teens trying to sell a magazines, and girl scouts. I'm not sure there has ever been a single time in my life where I was like "I sure am glad I answered the door."

Not since this:

"I'm not sure there has ever been a single time in my life where I was like "I sure am glad I answered the door."

Yep.

Maybe 1 out of 100 random door knockers is important.. like a neighbor telling you a pet escaped.

Reactions: Moral
I have only twice in 5 years. One was girl scout cookies which fine whatever. The other unfortunately was this elderly Jemima's Witness couple After I explained I wasn't interested they noticed my son running behind me and asked if my wife was home. After I said we weren't married yet they left and I never witnessed them again.

Don't remember. But in those areas you don't see many of those guys.

We have those guys now here in Iowa. All you have to do is politely say you are atheists which we are, and they don't even leave pamphlets. Don't have Halloweeners since the city has city square beggars night.

I think knockers are more worried than answerers.

Reactions: mattymoknows
Spring is almost here and strangers will be knocking on your door. I stopped answering a year ago. 99% of the time it's a salesperson.

I wish I stopped ages ago.

Do you answer the door when strangers knock? What was the result?

Yeah, tho they often come to the back door, as our rear driveway looks to be the main entrance.
The dawg is ever at the ready and very few approach her with a bad attitude. Poppy is a deterrent that discourages most.

Yeah, tho they often come to the back door, as our rear driveway looks to be the main entrance.
The dawg is ever at the ready and very few approach her with a bad attitude. Poppy is a deterrent that discourages most.

Get a "Beware of Dog" sign and put it up.

I have one without a dog. It's amazing security.

Last edited:
Right when I moved in, I got a bunch of salespeople (I assume they have a service that sends companies new homeowners)

One security guy was really rude; and one came at like 9pm. Now I have a ring and just shoo them away with that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT