ADVERTISEMENT

Do you answer your front door when strangers knock?

Spring is almost here and strangers will be knocking on your door. I stopped answering a year ago. 99% of the time it's a salesperson.

I wish I stopped ages ago.

Do you answer the door when strangers knock? What was the result?

Only if they're cute mormons.

• Haha
Reactions: ping72
Thanksfully i currently live in a building that isnt accessible unless you have a key or someone lets you in so i dont have to deal with it.

Dont get me started about the Kirby door to door salespeople tho. They are the reason i quit answering the door before i lived where i currently do.
Forgot about Kirby vacuums. Had this friend in college (while I was in college) who was a licensed massage therapist and Kirby salesman who made almost no money on either of those and instead made all his money selling weed.

The only punks who are strangers here are teens from the neighborhood selling 40 dollar popcorn or candy bars for some athletic endeavor they wish to belong to. I hide from them 😉

Reactions: BrianNole777
Yeah, I’m confident that most people are peaceful and those that aren’t would be quickly taken by me and my dog.

Once at halftime of an Iowa game some neighbor kids asked me if they could rake my yard for $5. I said sure. They did a terrible job. Like comically bad. They were maybe out there for 2-3 minutes and raked the smallest pile.

They said "all done" and asked for $5. **** it, whatever, they're like 7. I gave them $5 and they went to the next house.

I said something on the football board bc i thought it was funny and the first reply was some turd saying how i was contributing to the downfall of America. I wanted to tell the guy to put a gun in his mouth but i just put him on ignore instead.

Last edited:
I once answered the door to a strange lady and she turned out to be an incumbent candidate running in the Primary for the state assembly I was able to ask her how she had voted on a tax bill that had passed the assembly a few months earlier.

I would not have missed that visit for the world.

Last edited:
I once answered the door to a strange lady and she turned out to be an incumbent candidate running in the Primary for the state assembly who was canvassing for votes. I was able to ask her how she had voted on a tax bill that had passed the assembly a few months earlier.

I would not have missed that visit for the world.

That's the 1% of the time that answering the door for a stranger is worth it.

I hadn't had a stranger come to my door in quite some time but last month when we had that cold snap come through and it was below zero I had someone knock on my door trying to sell internet. I opened the door and asked him if he had lost his God damn mind and told him to go home and shut the door.

Once at halftime of an Iowa game some neighbor kids asked me if they could rake my yard for $5. I said sure. They did a terrible job. Like comically bad. They were maybe out there for 2-3 minutes and raked the smallest pile.

They said "all done" and asked for $5. **** it, whatever, they're like 7. I gave them $5 and they went to the next house.

I said something on the football board bc i thought it was funny and the first reply was some turd saying how i was contributing to the downfall of America. I wanted to tell the guy to put a gun in his mouth but i just put him on ignore instead.
That is funny! They learned that asking for the order is a singularly important dynamic in life ... and that getting lots and lots of orders pays off bigly!

They can learn the dynamics of doing quality work v. poor workmanship later in life.

Get the order first. Deal with the other stuff later.

Last edited:
Reactions: millah_22
Mormons have me blacklisted. I invited the two young men to have a friendly discourse in the front yard. Pretty sure they both disaffiliated with the Mormon Church. I also saw them coming so I opened the windows and played "The book of Mormon" soundtrack on repeat

In case you think I was being a total ass.....I offered the kool aid

• Haha
Mormons have me blacklisted. I invited the two young men to have a friendly discourse in the front yard. Pretty sure they both disaffiliated with the Mormon Church. I also saw them coming so I opened the windows and played "The book of Mormon" soundtrack on repeat

What did you discuss with them?

I'd ask them if Joseph Smith had 40 wives and was arrested 40 times.

I only answer if it’s young adults or kids, most of whom are fundraising for a worthy cause. If it’s an adult it usually concerns an upcoming election or religion and ain’t nobody got time for dat.

You kind of were being an Arse, but you (and they) got to enjoy the soundtrack for a bit .... so there is that.

You kind of were being an Arse, but you (and they) got to enjoy the soundtrack for a bit .... so there is that.

Why was I being an ass. Their faith, them pushing it on me. I strictly pointed out the historical fiction of their church. I'd prefer someone to rectify me on history if I'm wrong

And it was good kool-aid

Why was I being an ass. Their faith, them pushing it on me. I strictly pointed out the historical fiction of their church. I'd prefer someone to rectify me on history if I'm wrong

And it was good kool-aid
I did say "Kind of." It is sort of a borderline case and it does call for some set-up time.

I usually just explain that my wife and I are strong supporters of a life dedicated to drinking, gambling, taking drugs, and lots of fornication. I observe that we are simply not quality candidates for a great organization like the Morman Church. I sometimes even mention that we drink our coffee black and caffeinated.

Most of the time, they laugh and wish me well.

So I am part way up the scale of arseholdom myself.

Last edited:
Yeah with gun drawn. #'Merica
jim-carry-ace-ventura.gif

I’ve had 1 stranger knock in 15 years of living here. It was a young couple who had run out of gas. I took my gas can out and helped them. With a .40 in my waistband of course.

I always answer the door because, well, why not? If it’s someone peddling something I don’t want I tell them I’m not interested. Twenty seconds of my day. And often it’s something I need to know about. A representative from the town telling me about some street work they are going to be doing. Someone in the neighborhood who I haven’t met before asking a question. Once a couple knocked on my door and said they saw someone in our HOA clubhouse passed out (he had a stroke) and they didn’t have their phones to call 911.

I still feel as if I am an active member of a community, so if someone makes a physical appearance at my door, I will see what they want.p rather than ignore them.

Seriously though, what kind of adult doesn't their door if someone is there? Just seems weird to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT