ADVERTISEMENT

Does Iowa Go Undefeated In Non-Conference

Not really, Iowa got one win against Pelini, Pelini won 3 others. Then 3 straight wins aginst Mike Reily coached teams, 2 of them blow outs. Hanging your hat on blowing out MIke Reily teams? Ok, well everyone else was beating them too. You have scoreboard, congrats....Iowa's recent success will be short lived.
Riley has only been gone six months and you've already forgotten how his name is spelled. Good thing Frost is easy to spell.

Not really, Iowa got one win against Pelini, Pelini won 3 others. Then 3 straight wins aginst Mike Reily coached teams, 2 of them blow outs. Hanging your hat on blowing out MIke Reily teams? Ok, well everyone else was beating them too. You have scoreboard, congrats....Iowa's recent success will be short lived.

I actually think the bloodbath at the line of scrimmage will get worse under Frost. Enjoy giving up 500 on the ground every week

Just like 2017, I expect Iowa to have games where they look unbeatable and games where they look like they should be 0-12.

As for the non-conference, I worry about both Northern Illinois and ISU. I think the Hawks will have some rust and simply won't be ready early on. Call me crazy, but we've seen this movie so many times.

Now, as to motivation - I saw an article yesterday where Campbell was asked about ISU's rivalry with Iowa and he claimed it is finally close (I don't know how he gets that idea, maybe only losing 44-41 last year, but anyway)... it is EXTREMELY CLEAR that ISU puts a lot of emphasis on this game. We all know it to be the case, but Campbell stated it is a measuring stick for ISU. The Clones have some really excellent players too - nobody cares to hear it anymore, but Montgomery is a stud and he'll be one of the top 3 RBs we face all year.

Just like 2017, I expect Iowa to have games where they look unbeatable and games where they look like they should be 0-12.

As for the non-conference, I worry about both Northern Illinois and ISU. I think the Hawks will have some rust and simply won't be ready early on. Call me crazy, but we've seen this movie so many times.

Now, as to motivation - I saw an article yesterday where Campbell was asked about ISU's rivalry with Iowa and he claimed it is finally close (I don't know how he gets that idea, maybe only losing 44-41 last year, but anyway)... it is EXTREMELY CLEAR that ISU puts a lot of emphasis on this game. We all know it to be the case, but Campbell stated it is a measuring stick for ISU. The Clones have some really excellent players too - nobody cares to hear it anymore, but Montgomery is a stud and he'll be one of the top 3 RBs we face all year.

Yes, either Northern Illinois or ISU, or both, could beat Iowa. NIU has a good defense and if Iowa messes around all of a sudden it's the second half and it's a one-possession game.

Campbell has proclaimed his program on the same footing as Iowa. Could be. I like what's he's doing with creating a style they want to play that fits the players he can recruit. Montgomery will be among or the best RB Iowa faces all year.

Iowa will beat ISU by 50 points. Iowa will go 12-0 in the regular season with that schedule. Iowa probably has a top-5 defense nationally. I don't even know why ISU would bother showing up.

Reactions: Ratbird
He just said something about Iowa’s short term success lol. We’ve been pretty good for kirks tenure. Isu had a good season for the first time in forever and Iowa still won. No your defense is not better.... that one is a laugher.

Reactions: grayhair81
I will wait on any predictions to see what injuries there may be. If Stanley gets hurt and can’t play vs ISU? I would bet on ISU.

Conversely, if Kempt, Butler or Montgomery get hurt for ISU? I will take Iowa.

IIRC, we played NDSU and Daniels and Welsh were both out of the game on the OLine. That was the difference maker, along with an untimely holding call.

Judas the stupid QBR argument again. Please look at the defenses Kempt faced and Stanley played against last year. Stanley played against defenses where 4 were ranked in the top 20 and 8 in the top 50. Kempt faced 1 in the top 50 with TCU. The only other 2 defenses ISU faced in the top 50 were Iowa and Texas when Park was starting. So with your logic a MAC QB with better QBR is better than both of them. Give me a break. What's next telling us that ISU TE is better than Fant.

As for the defense Iowa's DL was better last year and only lost one player. Explain that one to me. ISU lost both safeties in the secondary. Iowa loses Jackson a huge piece but returns other starting CB along with 2 others who played along with Hooker at SS and Snyder and Gervase who both have 1 year of starting experience at FS.
Kempt beat a playoff team at their place. You try an spin that all you want. The offenses in the B10 were horrible as well. You get more opportunities with better field position when offenses suck. Btw, Kempt outplayed the Heisman winner and overall #1 draft pick at his place. Go ahead and start spinning.

One would think that gives us an advantage at home. Then again there's 2012 (or was it 2014?). ISU had a very weak secondary and KFz stubbornly refused to throw the ball and challenge them..keeping them in the box and ISU in the game which ended in an Iowa loss. People in the stands were screaming..."throw the damn ball"... Marvin McNutt was tweeting similar thoughts.

This is the type of game Kirk serves up periodically and when the opposition is ISU, they often capitalize on it. If we destroy NIU, instead of winning by 10 with a late touchdown... I'll be less concerned. But the ISU game is never a sure win under Kirk.
I understand for sure, that the ISU game is often a head scratcher. They'll lose a game to UNI then look like Oklahoma against the Hawks. Its just my gut feeling that BF will take a solid hold on this years offense, and we won't see as many of the issues we've seen for some games with KF being too conservative. If this holds true, and Stanley continues to take a hold of the offense, could see this being a special season. Its certainly more fun to go into the year with this thought process, then projecting a bunch of mind numbing defeats. (For me anyway).

Kempt beat a playoff team at their place. You try an spin that all you want. The offenses in the B10 were horrible as well. You get more opportunities with better field position when offenses suck. Btw, Kempt outplayed the Heisman winner and overall #1 draft pick at his place. Go ahead and start spinning.

Trying to say which QB is better is an exercise in futility. They were both good QBs last year and both teams were lucky to have them. I do feel that Stanley has way more upside.

We know the clones are getting ready.......Wonder if they put the jerseys on the tackling dummies yet.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
Trying to say which QB is better is an exercise in futility. They were both good QBs last year and both teams were lucky to have them. I do feel that Stanley has way more upside.
How do you figure? Kempt beat OU in his 1st start as a college QB. Stanley has significantly more game experience. We can just agree to disagree. If Kempt's past shoulder issue flares up again then he may not have the year that is anticipated.

I doubt Oklahoma and the other traditional B12 big shots will overlook ISU this year. 2018 is a new year for ISU. A year of much higher expectations with their locals, and a much larger target on their backs from opponents in conference.

They won't sneak up on anybody this year. Let's see how those shoes fit. It's one thing to have a "good year out of nowhere". IMHO, it's much more difficult to repeat it.

In my lifetime, ISU has had five 8 win seasons if my math is good. They've never had a 9 win season. They've had consecutive 8 win seasons once in their entire history (one 3 year streak in the 70's).

I'm not saying they cannot do it, but history tells me they have a terribly difficult time in doing it. They're just going to have to prove it to me that they can.

I doubt Oklahoma and the other traditional B12 big shots will overlook ISU this year. 2018 is a new year for ISU. A year of much higher expectations with their locals, and a much larger target on their backs from opponents in conference.

They won't sneak up on anybody this year. Let's see how those shoes fit. It's one thing to have a "good year out of nowhere". IMHO, it's much more difficult to repeat it.

In my lifetime, ISU has had five 8 win seasons if my math is good. They've never had a 9 win season. They've had consecutive 8 wins seasons once in their entire history (one 3 year streak in the 70's).

I'm not saying they cannot do it, but history tells me they have a terribly difficult time in doing it. They're just going to have to prove it to me that they can.
History means nothing here. Staff and players have begun to prove as much.

How do you figure? Kempt beat OU in his 1st start as a college QB. Stanley has significantly more game experience. We can just agree to disagree. If Kempt's past shoulder issue flares up again then he may not have the year that is anticipated.

I figure that because they are too close to compare to say one is head and shoulders better than the other. Only a homer would say they have a better QB at this point. Kempt put up slightly better numbers against worst defenses and a better receiver corps. Stanley threw for 26 tds against only 6 picks against better defenses and a worse receiver corps (though his tight ends were better). An argument can be made for both sides.

But troll on.

I figure that because they are too close to compare to say one is head and shoulders better than the other. Only a homer would say they have a better QB at this point. Kempt put up slightly better numbers against worst defenses and a better receiver corps. Stanley threw for 26 tds against only 6 picks against better defenses and a worse receiver corps (though his tight ends were better). An argument can be made for both sides.

But troll on.
Kempt's biggest strength is his decision making. He throws to the right spots. Kempt had 15 TDs and 3 picks. I am not saying Stanley is not a good QB. I believe Kempt runs his offense more efficiently with less experience.

Kempt's biggest strength is his decision making. He throws to the right spots. Kempt had 15 TDs and 3 picks. I am not saying Stanley is not a good QB. I believe Kempt runs his offense more efficiently with less experience.

And I never said Kempt wasn't a good QB. Just saying you are trolling if you think one is a lot better than the other like you were implying earlier.

WHEN? What year does Neb beat Iowa?

Can you throw out a score prediction for THIS year?

It's always some ambiguous future season you guys are throwing out.

I get it.

We are all under a "Frost Warning".

I'll go cover my tomato plants.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

One game doesn’t equate to overall performance. With that logic Luke falk of wash st was a better qb because he put up better #s than Sam darnold head to head. How about Stanley I can just pin point one or 2 games vs Ohio st or isu when he threw 5tds in both one vs a top 10 D and we will just ignore games vs Wisconsin or Purdue when he didn’t have a good games. Or how about we ignore kempt wvu performance or leading offense to 19 pts vs Kstate. As for defenses keep telling yourself that.

Last edited:
Reactions: grayhair81
One game doesn’t equate to overall performance. With that logic Luke falk of wash st was a better qb because he put up better #s than Sam darnold. How about Stanley I can just pin point one or 2 games vs Ohio st or isu when he threw 5tds in both one vs a top 10 and we will just ignore games vs Wisconsin or Purdue when he didn’t have a good games. Or how about we ignore kempt wvu performance or leading offense to 19 pts vs Kstate. As for defenses keep telling yourself that.
He did it in his first ever college start. He proceeded to beat another top 5 ranked team for his 4th win in a row. He doesn't have a large sample size but in the time he has played his numbers are excellent. His upside for this year is very high.

Except Iowa blew out the Pelini coached team as well. I wish the facts weren’t the facts but they just are.

I will wait on any predictions to see what injuries there may be. If Stanley gets hurt and can’t play vs ISU? I would bet on ISU.

Conversely, if Kempt, Butler or Montgomery get hurt for ISU? I will take Iowa.

IIRC, we played NDSU and Daniels and Welsh were both out of the game on the OLine. That was the difference maker, along with an untimely holding call.
I agree. Predictions at this time of year are stupid.

He did it in his first ever college start. He proceeded to beat another top 5 ranked team for his 4th win in a row. He doesn't have a large sample size but in the time he has played his numbers are excellent. His upside for this year is very high.
Yes, it was very impressive how he was able to put 14 points up vs tcu. He certainly deserves the game ball for that one ;).
We'll see how he does with your new receiving corps....
Remind me again, what was his qbr that game?
Certainly better at QB. Kempt's QBR is 148 and Stanley's is 134. RB isn't close as Montgomery could very well be the top back in the nation. Every single position group on ISU's defense is better.
Top back in the nation? LMFAO!!! You should try a career in comedy.

Yes, it was very impressive how he was able to put 14 points up vs tcu. He certainly deserves the game ball for that one ;).
We'll see how he does with your new receiving corps....
Remind me again, what was his qbr that game?

Top back in the nation? LMFAO!!! You should try a career in comedy.
Not surprised you are laughing. It is a normal response for folks without a clue.

No, ISU will win in IC. The clones are better at QB, RB, WR, And total defense. The only advantage the hawks have is OL.

How, exactly, do you think Clown College is better at QB? I will give you RB because Montgomery is very good. Young and IKM will be good enough. WR is an advantage for them because they emphasize their WRs. You do remember our true FR WR scored the winning points in their house last year, right? And they have NOTHING to compare to our TEs. We are better on both lines. Our LBs will be vulnerable solely due to lack of time together. When they find their mojo, they will be impressive. Our safeties are damned good. Corner is the big question and the position that worries me the most in this game.
ISU could win if the chips fall the right way but I don't think it happens. BF has brought a new emphasis on this game. He genuinely dislikes the stench from the west. I think that will carry over to the players.

History means nothing here. Staff and players have begun to prove as much.
How is that top-15 recruiting class coming together for you guys?
Here is the difference between a winning program and a losing program: 8-5. The winning program looks at that season as a failure. The losing program sees it as evidence they are on track for a NC. When you guys win 8 games three or four years in a row, we can have a meaningful debate over programs being on equal footing.
And Kempt being better than Stanley? He couldn't see the field at Oregon State or mighty Hutchinson Community College. Is his brother going to set a list of incredible accomishments for him like Borat's brother did for him last year? There are a lot of similarities. Come to think of it, you guys should build a new Statue of Liberty in L' Ames. "GIve us your unsuccessful, your illiterate, your cast-offs and we will make them DMR superstars who are 3-9." Instead of a woman, it should be modeled after the Davis brothers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT