ADVERTISEMENT

"Excessive" celebration

If that was excessive, they could flag a defensive player after every tackle or pass break up.

Agree completely. So many things players do that are worse in terms of taunting the other team or excessive celebration than what Wadley did.

If Wadley's highstep is an unsportsmanlike penalty then so is giving the first down sign after a catch, swinging like you just hit a home run after a long run or pass by the QB, or even a kicker knocking the ball through the end zone.

I saw all of those things yesterday and not one unsportsmanlike penalty was called. Only Akrum sort of high stepping into the end zone. Hell, the NIU db that returned a pick 6 high stepped or you could say they both strided high on their entry into the end zone but definitely not a penalty. It's sad how bad these refs have become.

I agree, that 1st down sign after a 1st down is at least as taunting as high steps. I did do a search and I saw there was a 75 yard play called back this year for player doing a somersault into endzone. The rule has been in place since 2014...Wadley case was 1st time I had seen it enforced to take away a TD. Wadley got ripped off by Ego of a ref--in the end no harm and lesson learned. I call the rule BS.

I agree, that 1st down sign after a 1st down is at least as taunting as high steps. I did do a search and I saw there was a 75 yard play called back this year for player doing a somersault into endzone. The rule has been in place since 2014...Wadley case was 1st time I had seen it enforced to take away a TD. Wadley got ripped off by Ego of a ref--in the end no harm and lesson learned. I call the rule BS.
I think the rule was written in 2010 and went into effect for the 2011 season.

You should be able to do what ever you want durring a live ball.

Taunt, do a flip, flip off the defender, its a live ball so its part of the game.

Any rule that limits what sort of movement the offensive player can do while holdind the ball should never be allowed.

It opens up a door to a level of intereference from the reffs that is just wrong.

What if that call was 30 seconds left against psu?

What if there was a defenfer closing that the ball carrier doesnt see and is able to strip the ball? Does Iowa get the ball back where he high stepped or does the reff then have the discretion to ignore it?

What if a spin move just looks too good? Do these ****s now technically have the authority to call that a penatly and erase the play?

Its the most asinine rule ever attempted IMO.

While I agree with most of this you may have went overboard a lil. You surely aren't serious about flipping off the opponent are you?? And taunting should not be allowed either, do you realise what that would escalate to if that were allowed? It would be come a circus if that were legal to do, it would get out of control in a hurry. That being said in NO way what Wadley did was taunting and was a ridiculous call.

Before they didn't take points off the board. Either this year or last year they changed it.

That should not be a penalty any way you look at it. Or can try and justify it and I'm sure the B1G will come out say it was the correct call (if they say anything at all) because that's just what they do.

To me it's no different than this...
kipnapoleondyn123.gif

Or a money problem.
This!
By making a rule subjective it allows a ref or crew to help keep vegas lines or simply throw a game. The NCAA should have a list of celebrations outlawed. What other choice do you have? They can't count on common sense and the bad character of some.

Man I know it sounds foolish but I would prefer it that way.

Reactions: Cardsnhawks
As far as the LSU punter and Wadley I've seen more emotion exhibited in a field hockey game. Hell I've seen more flagrant emotionalism in a CHESS match. Think about that. NCAA Football wants fewer displays of emotion than chess and women's field hockey!! Kim, just nuke us now. We are seriously done.

While I agree with most of this you may have went overboard a lil. You surely aren't serious about flipping off the opponent are you?? And taunting should not be allowed either, do you realise what that would escalate to if that were allowed? It would be come a circus if that were legal to do, it would get out of control in a hurry. That being said in NO way what Wadley did was taunting and was a ridiculous call.

Durring a live ball I dont think the officials should be arbitrarily allowed to determine the legality of how a player moves his body.

I suppose hand gestures could be an exception but IMO if youre stupid enough to take the risk of taughting durring a live ball than ok.

After the play is different. Make the penatly for retaliation durring a dead ball very severe.

This!
By making a rule subjective it allows a ref or crew to help keep vegas lines or simply throw a game. The NCAA should have a list of celebrations outlawed. What other choice do you have? They can't count on common sense and the bad character of some.

Man I know it sounds foolish but I would prefer it that way.

Allowing that amount of discretion durring a live ball is just pure stupidity.

It not only blatantly opens the door for manipulating the outcome it encourages it.

I didn't even see the "unsportsmanlike" behavior of the LSU punter until they showed it again, and I knew it was coming. I don't like all the choreographed crap like shooting the arrow, dancing, etc. but I do not like this rule at all. Looks like pure enthusiasm to me.

Still, the coaches need to show these plays in the film room as examples and the players have to understand they can't hurt the team by committing the penalty.

Reactions: Cougar63
The thing to remember is it is important when the celebration happens. The first down sign, sack dances, touchdown celebrations, and whatever, all happen after the play. Wadley's celebration happened during live play. That is why he drew the flag. Had he made that break the tape motion 5 yards deep in the endzone, no flag.
That's the rule, guys.

Its dumb on Wadley's part, and I'm one of his biggest fans. What he did is a "look at me" gesture, and it is every single time a flag is thrown in those situations.

Don't give a good Ref or a bad one a reason to make a judgement call. It IS that simple.

The thing to remember is it is important when the celebration happens. The first down sign, sack dances, touchdown celebrations, and whatever, all happen after the play. Wadley's celebration happened during live play. That is why he drew the flag. Had he made that break the tape motion 5 yards deep in the endzone, no flag.
That's the rule, guys.

So show me an example of the unspirtmanlike conduct penalty after anf interception or a sack. I am truly curious if it has ever been called. Would almost certainly keep a drive alive. I saw a nt player high step off the field after tackling oir return man....no penalty. An extra 15 yards on the kick return would have been great.

I am also curious how the ref can flag high stepping as it is actually a football move to keep from being tackled. While I dont think wadley was doing it for that reason, it is a football move.

The flag for the hit on the qb and the hit oit of bounds were both the types of calls that should get a ref suspended. Both were calls thay directly influenced ghe game and neither were penalties. What did yhe announcers say?

So show me an example of the unspirtmanlike conduct penalty after anf interception or a sack. I am truly curious if it has ever been called. Would almost certainly keep a drive alive. I saw a nt player high step off the field after tackling oir return man....no penalty. An extra 15 yards on the kick return would have been great.

I am also curious how the ref can flag high stepping as it is actually a football move to keep from being tackled. While I dont think wadley was doing it for that reason, it is a football move.

The flag for the hit on the qb and the hit oit of bounds were both the types of calls that should get a ref suspended. Both were calls thay directly influenced ghe game and neither were penalties. What did yhe announcers say?
I'm saying it isn't called because it usually isn't a penalty when the celebration happens after the play. An example of when it is a penalty is Iowa was flagged for celebration after kicking the game winning field goal against Penn State a few years ago. Murray ran to the middle of the field and slid on his knees. He was mobbed by his teammates. The game wasn't over, we drew the flag and had to kick from deep in our territory. A guy would have to do quite a bit to get flagged after an interception or a sack.

And you said it yourself, Wadley wasn't high stepping to avoid a defender. No ref will ever throw a flag if there is a defender even close to making the play. Wadley was high stepping as a form of celebration. It wasn't a football move in that context, just like doing a somersault across the goal line isn't a football move when there isn't anyone to dive over. Refs will throw a flag for that.
Regarding the late hit penalty on Ragumba, that was BS. It looked to me like he was trying to keep the guy from running into the kicker's practice net. Once again, the ref threw the flag based on what he thought probably happened rather than what he actually saw. The penalty on AJ was also BS as he was grabbed by the jersey and flung into the quarterback.

Its dumb on Wadley's part, and I'm one of his biggest fans. What he did is a "look at me" gesture, and it is every single time a flag is thrown in those situations.

Don't give a good Ref or a bad one a reason to make a judgement call. It IS that simple.

Have to disagree with this. Just with Wadley alone, he's done it multiple times this year and not been called. I can't say I wasn't worried that it would be called each time, but your statement is incorrect.

Reactions: iahawks10
Have to disagree with this. Just with Wadley alone, he's done it multiple times this year and not been called. I can't say I wasn't worried that it would be called each time, but your statement is incorrect.
Did you deliberately ignore the part about the flag actually being thrown?

We can argue semantics all day long but like KF said post game, wadley is too good of a player to even give the refs the thought of throwing a flag.
Arguing semantics all day is Aristotle's bread and butter.

Yes what Wadley did was against the rules. But I liken it to going 27 MPH when the speed limit is 25 MPH. It's illegal but when you get pulled over for that people think you really pulled me over for 2 miles over. There's a reason why so many technically excessive celebration penalties don't get called. Like the speeding ticket it's really your calling that.

Last edited:

Here is AW during the Nebby game last year; both high stepping and "cash/money" gesture, see link at the 0:48 / 11:34 mark. Both these were and are done by many players. No penalty as it is nearly impossible to standardize subjective rules.

linky:

Here is AW during the Nebby game last year; both high stepping and "cash/money" gesture, see link at the 0:48 / 11:34 mark. Both these were and are done by many players. No penalty as it is nearly impossible to standardize subjective rules.

linky:

Agree 100% and I'm not saying I agree with the call at all (I was screaming BS at the TV), just that it was a penalty "by the book" and it worries me every time he does it.

Its only a matter of time until someone has been paid enough money to use this rule to change the outcome of a game.

Its incomprehensible to me that they let this rule pass.

Its only a matter of time until someone has been paid enough money to use this rule to change the outcome of a game.

Its incomprehensible to me that they let this rule pass.

You're trying really hard to get the corruption argument to stick. Did you lose money on this game?

It's a dumb rule. It's also dumb that Wadley keeps testing it.

Garbage call by garbage refs.

If the rule has to stay on the book to placate the 'get off my lawn' old white guys, then fine. But don't you dare enforce it.

The next time they call it on a defensive player will be the first time. Let me know when they throw the flag for a defensive lineman celebrating a sack. Ot standing over a guy they just tackled.
Exactly. Jumping up and down, crossing arms

Garbage call by garbage refs.

If the rule has to stay on the book to placate the 'get off my lawn' old white guys, then fine. But don't you dare enforce it.
That's how it is now unfortunately ever so often you run into the Barney Fife of Officials.

You're trying really hard to get the corruption argument to stick. Did you lose money on this game?

It's a dumb rule. It's also dumb that Wadley keeps testing it.

Nope, just smart enough to see an angle when one is there.

Given the amount of money that changes hands based on point spreads I think its inevitable.

You guys don't seem to grasp that when the celebration occurs matters. Wadley did it during the play. All the other examples you guys are citing are happening after the whistle.
I agree that the flag should not have been thrown. He wasn't taunting the defender or making a threatening gesture. The official should have told him to tone it down or next time it will be called. Taking points off the board for that was the only excessive thing about the play.

Didn't Chuck Long "celebrate" while going in for the winning TD vs Michigan State? Could you imagine a TD like that being called back!

Didn't Chuck Long "celebrate" while going in for the winning TD vs Michigan State? Could you imagine a TD like that being called back!

Bingo, and thats all the justification they would need.

There should never be an option to take points off the board.

Thats why you will never see that option in the nfl, its a threat to the integrity of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT