ADVERTISEMENT

F*cking Daycare

At one time in this country people didn't farm their kids out for others to raise.
Yes, and hamburgers were $0.28...

EjBK6EQVkAAArZi.jpg

And a large pizza was $1.50...

d61da7f3d2cf8d643c012d597a673dfa.jpg

Reactions: BrianNole777
At one time in this country people didn't farm their kids out for others to raise.
Smaller house, cheaper cars, less material possessions.

It’s all about priorities and choices. Anybody dropping their kids off on a $75k truck/suv decided.

Somebody leaving a very nice home to take their kids to daycare also decided.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
And it doesn't stop at any certain age - or even let up.

The daughter (no pic) is in her 3rd year of college, and just let me know that she wants to do a study abroad program over the summer where she'll go to Italy and join an archeological dig of ancient Roman stuff for 8 weeks. That'll be about $10k all-in.
I would love to do that.

When I retire I’m going to volunteer on some digs if I can.

Smaller house, cheaper cars, less material possessions.

It’s all about priorities and choices. Anybody dropping their kids off on a $75k truck/suv decided.

Somebody leaving a very nice home to take their kids to daycare also decided.
That’s fair for many, but many don’t have that option.

I added up what income we gave up by my wife staying home and it was about $2.5m if she never got a single raise from where she was 20 years ago. Still, I wouldn’t trade it.

Everyone does what works for them.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I feel like that's the same experience as everyone who's ever had kids in daycare/ preschool. It sucks but there's nothing you can do because if you don't pay, there's 10 other families waiting to take your spot.

You're paying for their "spot" more than you're paying for services rendered, so even if the kid doesn't attend - like being sick, going on vacation, etc - the bill's the same.

And yeah, the school is a petri dish of all the things that will repeatedly get your kid sick. It's mostly the fault of shitty parents who will drop their kids off knowing full well they're too stick to be there. They don't care about making other people's kids sick, as long as they don't have to stay home and take care of their own kids.
We just found out that one of the kids that was probably in this situation tested positive for RSV.

Our child started daycare last Monday. First child so first daycare experience.
We made the mistake by starting him last week because we had to pay for both Thursday and Friday even though he just started.
Anyway, we could tell already last Tuesday when we picked him up that he was starting to get a bit of a cold from all the germs there.
Fast forward to this week, I stayed home with him yesterday as we noticed he did not sleep at all on Tuesday and I thought some good rest would help him recover.
Well today we got a call that we had to pick him up as he threw up. Guessing he will have to stay home tomorrow as well.
So now through 10 days of paying for daycare he will have been there for 5 days and they got our kiddo sick.
Continues right one through School. Parents sending their kids to school sick all the time.

I have a daycare as one of my stops on one of my bus trips. About 7-10 kids at that stop usually. There's always one of them with a cold. The group 1 thru 10 is almost never 100% cold-free.

So of course, they then ride my bus - then other kids catch these colds. Which in turn means I catch their colds. The entire month of November, I've been catching something, getting over it...then catching a new one.

And I'm pretty anal about keeping clean. Hand sanitizer in the bus, I spray down the seats/hand rail etc with sanitizer after my morning and afternoon trips. My aid and I are constantly reminding kids...cover your mouths when you're coughing, limit touching anybody, etc. Hell, this past week I've been keeping a box of Kleenex near me as they come in and I'm handing them out to any kid with a runny nose.

But when you got 40-60 kids in a box with the windows all up and you got a handful of them coughing every trip...it's gonna spread.

Hell, my middle school trip, a couple kids there this afternoon's trip home, hacking up a storm. Then another one of them tells me her older sister just came down with Covid...

Winter...my FAVORITE time of year to be a school bus driver. It's like working in a germ factory.

I have a daycare as one of my stops on one of my bus trips. About 7-10 kids at that stop usually. There's always one of them with a cold. The group 1 thru 10 is almost never 100% cold-free.

So of course, they then ride my bus - then other kids catch these colds. Which in turn means I catch their colds. The entire month of November, I've been catching something, getting over it...then catching a new one.

And I'm pretty anal about keeping clean. Hand sanitizer in the bus, I spray down the seats/hand rail etc with sanitizer after my morning and afternoon trips. My aid and I are constantly reminding kids...cover your mouths when you're coughing, limit touching anybody, etc. Hell, this past week I've been keeping a box of Kleenex near me as they come in and I'm handing them out to any kid with a runny nose.

But when you got 40-60 kids in a box with the windows all up and you got a handful of them coughing every trip...it's gonna spread.

Hell, my middle school trip, a couple kids there this afternoon's trip home, hacking up a storm. Then another one of them tells me her older sister just came down with Covid...

Winter...my FAVORITE time of year to be a school bus driver. It's like working in a germ factory.
Oh man that does not sound like fun. The sad thing is most bus drivers are older people as well that have a tougher time fighting colds.

Hahaha..

Welcome to the f.ucking show bro.

Here are some of my personal favorites.

If your kid has over a 100.4 temp they have to be under temp for 24 hours before returning.... good ****ing luck getting through teething.

If you tell them you are going to be late, they can send staff home and then tell you that you can't come because they are understaffed, yet they cashed your weekly check. I, very frankly, told my lady I don't give a shit if I'm posting photos from Hawaii, if she cashes the check have the ****ing staff for my child.

Hand foot mouth.... super fun.
Worse as an adult. I couldn't effing move anything without hurting.

We made the mistake by starting him last week because we had to pay for both Thursday and Friday even though he just started.
Anyway, we could tell already last Tuesday when we picked him up that he was starting to get a bit of a cold from all the germs there.
Fast forward to this week, I stayed home with him yesterday as we noticed he did not sleep at all on Tuesday and I thought some good rest would help him recover.
Well today we got a call that we had to pick him up as he threw up. Guessing he will have to stay home tomorrow as well.
So now through 10 days of paying for daycare he will have been there for 5 days and they got our kiddo sick.
Reads like a text my employees send me when they call in. I put my toddlers in a 55 gallon drum with breathing holes and I never missed any work.

And at one time in this country, a family could live comfortably on one income and didn’t need two parents working 40+ hours a week just to barely get by.
True story. I had to leave work to pick up a sick kid and two old timers that taught me everything chimed up and between them said they never left work for sick kids. I snapped on them and they told me to calm the **** down and they just meant their wives didn’t need to work so never had to.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
I am past the daycare stage of parenting, but be prepared for constant viruses rolling through and get ready to get sick yourself more than you have before. Late fall/early winter is a tough time for your 1st to start daycare as half the place is already sick.

Oh man that does not sound like fun. The sad thing is most bus drivers are older people as well that have a tougher time fighting colds.

Bingo.

As I've aged (the past 2 school years, after I turned 60)...the colds just seem to stick around a little longer now and get a little bit more severe.

I have the exact same cough that I hear in my bus all day long. There's no mystery going on here. And it's not like I can tell 100 kids "get away from me, I don't want to get sick".

Heading to Urgent Care tomorrow morning. Get some meds, and make sure it isn't, you know (I've had my shots)...

We just found out that one of the kids that was probably in this situation tested positive for RSV.
RSV Sucks. My daughter caught it at daycare almost two years ago. I got it from her. It was worse than COVID for me. She also got COVID at daycare too. Oh, also hand, foot and mouth from daycare which I also caught.

Moral of the story is, you’ll most likely catch what she gets sick with. On a positive note, my daughter is about 3 1/2 and doesn’t get sick like she used to. But be prepared as she will be sick all the freaking time

Bingo.

As I've aged (the past 2 school years, after I turned 60)...the colds just seem to stick around a little longer now and get a little bit more severe.

I have the exact same cough that I hear in my bus all day long. There's no mystery going on here. And it's not like I can tell 100 kids "get away from me, I don't want to get sick".

Heading to Urgent Care tomorrow morning. Get some meds, and make sure it isn't, you know (I've had my shots)...
Do you wear a mask?

Yall remember the “it takes a village” idea? Well we’ve got to pay the rest of the village too. It can suck but socialization with other kids and adults outside of the home is important. I’m not saying having one parent stay home is bad either, but they normally find activities that involve other children and adults.

Daycare is how kids build their antibodies to fight off illnesses for the rest of their lives.

Our family has been to the pediatrician three times in the last two weeks and avoided it today after calling in the doctors in our family. Two ear infections (finally a referral to ENT for a tube evaluation) and two kids with pink eye. Our oldest continues to evade the challenges.

Advice: get used to it. In-home is incredible for evading sickness, but after 2 inadequate for providing structured learning.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Welcome to daycare. We have 3 kids (20, 17, 12) and we’ve never been as consistently sick with our kids as when they were in daycare.

It’s a rite of passage!

I work with families and it seems like more and more are choosing to have one parent stay home and the other work due to the cost of daycare. One couple even told me they did the math and would have only been ahead $10/month if they had sent both children to daycare and both of them continued to work. For them it was an easy decision obviously. I’m not knocking on the daycare providers as they need to make a living too. Wondering if others have noticed this trend as well though?

Do you wear a mask?

Have been since roughly early November (once the weather translated into having to keep all windows closed). I try to vent it out as best as I can (roof hatches, cracking a window here and there), but usually that means I can only when it's say above 35 or so degrees.

You should see how foggy the windows get this time of year if I have to close it up tight (mornings usually). Every window in a full size bus, fogged over. Then when there's snow on the ground, the kids of course drag that moisture in (along with sand and salt and rock), making it even more difficult to keep the bus' interior dry. So if you're proactive, you pick up and sweep the floor daily, and try to mop once a week.

You just have to keep at it, every day, as best you can. I'm sort of OCD about it really. For having to haul 200 give or take bodies every day, I got a damn clean bus. It'll never be perfect obviously, but if you don't try (many don't)...it quickly becomes a sand box/moisture disaster this time of year.

I look at it as the cost of doing business - I'm going to be exposed to them no matter what. I think if my numbers on this trip were in the 30's to 40's (*2) it wouldn't be as rough. It's just hard to "hide" from 60 little germ factories twice every day.

I am feeling much better this morning (finally!). Not a single coughing fit since I woke up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT