ADVERTISEMENT

Fearmongering on the Georgia Voting Law is officially over.

It’s not the government’s job to provide water to voters. The stupidity of this country never ceases to amaze me.

I guess the Dems need to have those “late night ballot drops” to win elections.

"The only way we can lose is if the other side cheats"

Reactions: Tom Paris
That article is so gross. Dems want the South be Jim Crow again sooooo bad! That article paints a picture that is totally inaccurate and meant to inflame people along racial lines. The facts are:

- Polling locations are not determined by the Secretary of State or the Legislature. They are decentralized and decided by County Election Boards.

- With early voting, people have time to vote now vs 2012 (the time when the author of the article uses as comparison)

- The notion that inner city polling places are disproportionately being closed is not supported by the facts. Rather it is rural areas where poll locations are sparsely visited, budgets cannot support/staff them, and buildings are no longer up to code that are disproportionately being closed.

- Lines late in the afternoon on Election Day are long across the state in all areas, including my suburban poll location.
That was one of dozens of dozens of articles about this from a wide variety of sources. This stuff is happening and it is happening predominantly in the south. You really, really need to get out of your bubble if you think that manipuplating polling sites is not happening. And that article was NPR, btw. You don't get much more in the middle than that.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Can we not at least agree that it’s absurd how the state population has grown so much yet the number of voting locations has decreased?
Maybe? Most of the places closing polling locations are not where the population growth is.

There was a run of news stories recently about closing voting location in Lincoln County, GA. Breathless stories ran nationally about Georgia taking peoples votes away, and pictures of African Americans standing in long lines.

Except that the county where they were closing voting locations was nearly 70% white, went overwhelmingly for Trump, and was home to a whopping 8,000 people.

The locations being closing were old concrete block buildings with no handicapped accommodations and no HVAC. Small counties have to pay to keep these places open and supervised. Any rational person would consolidate voting into a larger buildings that can hold more machines and still be convenient to voters.

County Election Boards decide polling locations, but yet the media criticism goes to statewide office holders like the Governor, Secretary of State and the Legislature. I'll let you decide for yourself why that is.

That was one of dozens of dozens of articles about this from a wide variety of sources. This stuff is happening and it is happening predominantly in the south. You really, really need to get out of your bubble if you think that manipuplating polling sites is not happening.
You just know that is how it is, right? Segregated lunch counters, fire hoses, dogs, poll taxes...its all still going on!

I'm not in a bubble. I live in suburban Atlanta. We are in the midst of a primary election right now. The only way you are waiting in a line is if you wait until the last minute.

The stupidity is mind-boggling.

Michael Steele is hosting a show on MSNBC and has a couple Dem strategists on.

He asked one of them, “We are seeing record turnout in Georgia despite the voting law. Why do you think that is?”
Because it's a PRIMARY election.

Not an ACTUAL election, where Republicans could LOSE a seat to a Democrat.
This is not hard to figure out, bud.

Maybe? Most of the places closing polling locations are not where the population growth is.

There was a run of news stories recently about closing voting location in Lincoln County, GA. Breathless stories ran nationally about Georgia taking peoples votes away, and pictures of African Americans standing in long lines.

Except that the county where they were closing voting locations was nearly 70% white, went overwhelmingly for Trump, and was home to a whopping 8,000 people.

The locations being closing were old concrete block buildings with no handicapped accommodations and no HVAC. Small counties have to pay to keep these places open and supervised. Any rational person would consolidate voting into a larger buildings that can hold more machines and still be convenient to voters.

County Election Boards decide polling locations, but yet the media criticism goes to statewide office holders like the Governor, Secretary of State and the Legislature. I'll let you decide for yourself why that is.
I don't think your first line is correct at all. At best they are NOT adding polling spots where population is increasing, especially where democrat voters are living.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Because it's a PRIMARY election.

Not an ACTUAL election, where Republicans could LOSE a seat to a Democrat.
This is not hard to figure out, bud.
Tell it to MSNBC and everyone else reporting on it. Also, quit pretending when turnout is up this election, you won’t be making up some other excuse for it. And again, this is about the dumb reasoning the Dem strategist used for worrying. As if thousands of people will be trying to vote at 2am or not vote because they couldn’t get water. So goddamed stupid. But yeah…keep crying “end of democracy” because of water bottles.

You just know that is how it is, right? Segregated lunch counters, fire hoses, dogs, poll taxes...its all still going on!

I'm not in a bubble. I live in suburban Atlanta. We are in the midst of a primary election right now. The only way you are waiting in a line is if you wait until the last minute.
Or you can believe people who actually live in the South, who can see what's happening with their own eyes.

Reactions: goldmom

I'm not the one making these claims. The TV broadcasts I have watched on the issue and the dozens and dozens of media sites covering the issue are. Literally every election there is at least one reporter from every network not named Fox covering insanely long lines at voting booths in southern states. My guess is you don't live in an area where they have eliminated most polling places and you probably don't travel to the areas of the city where they do that very often.

People waiting 5 hours aren't arriving at the last minute. Maybe if voting day were a national holiday they wouldn't have to wait until after work to do it.

Like pass a law to ban it you obtuse dipshit?
1516096019-think-of-the-children.jpg

Reactions: goldmom
I'm not the one making these claims. The TV broadcasts I have watched on the issue and the dozens and dozens of media sites covering the issue are. Literally every election there is at least one reporter from every network not named Fox covering insanely long lines at voting booths in southern states. My guess is you don't live in an area where they have eliminated most polling places and you probably don't travel to the areas of the city where they do that very often.

People waiting 5 hours aren't arriving at the last minute. Maybe if voting day were a national holiday they wouldn't have to wait until after work to do it.
We have three weeks of early voting, including a mandatory Saturday. There is plenty of time to vote.

What I have a problem with is the characterization that some shadowy, nameless, faceless conspiracy is trying to keep minority people from voting. It's not true and it's irresponsible journalism.

I early voted in Fulton County last week around 5:30pm and was the only voter in the polling location, was out in about 5 minutes. There were multiple other early voting locations and a drop box within 4 miles of where I voted. Plus early voting has been going on for 3 weeks with multiple Saturday options available.

If someone claims it is too hard, inconvenient, or takes too long to vote in the primary Democrat counties of Fulton, DeKalb or Gwinnett they are lying and have no one to blame but themselves.

People have one more early voting day now than they did before. They can mail in their ballot. They can drop off a ballot. There are multiple solutions available to avoid standing in line for an extended period. You are trying to create an issue that already has multiple solutions.

You mean the stupidity of cons to legally prevent giving someone food in water while waiting in the hot Georgia sun to vote.

WWJD? We know what he would do. Luke 14:12-14: "He said also to the man who had invited him, “When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

"No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method...or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector.”

The only other state that prohibits the delivery of food and drink during an election in some form is Montana, but specifically if it’s coming from a candidate, political party personnel or volunteers, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. No other state has such legislation so far.

But in Georgia, Eric Segall says not even friends or family can now bring them a snack if they’re waiting in a long line."

So they all had what, 10 months, to pack a to-go bag to stand in line to vote before the next election? If you might get thirsty and are too stupid to have your water/snack ready to go when you are, you might want to sit out the next election.

Reactions: 24 so far
People have one more early voting day now than they did before. They can mail in their ballot. They can drop off a ballot. There are multiple solutions available to avoid standing in line for an extended period. You are trying to create an issue that already has multiple solutions.
This is all true. However that doesn't excuse long wait times on voting day. It's not ok that some people need to wait 5 hours to vote, especially since there has been a systematic cutting of polling places in those areas. And then passing laws to make that wait as excruciating of a process as possible. That's not acceptable.

We have three weeks of early voting, including a mandatory Saturday. There is plenty of time to vote.

What I have a problem with is the characterization that some shadowy, nameless, faceless conspiracy is trying to keep minority people from voting. It's not true and it's irresponsible journalism.
Again, just because there is early voting doesn't make it acceptable to force people to wait a long time to vote. And it's not a shodawy, faceless conspiracy. It's pretty much right out in the open for everyone to see. Republicans, who are in control of running elections in these states, have cut polling places in poor areas dramatically to where sometimes there is only one polling area for hundreds of thousands of people. Republicans are passing laws to make waiting in these lines worse than flying bargain airlines. There's no shadow to it, Republicans are anouncing on a loudspeaker exactly what they are doing.

Again, just because there is early voting doesn't make it acceptable to force people to wait a long time to vote. And it's not a shodawy, faceless conspiracy. It's pretty much right out in the open for everyone to see. Republicans, who are in control of running elections in these states, have cut polling places in poor areas dramatically to where sometimes there is only one polling area for hundreds of thousands of people. Republicans are passing laws to make waiting in these lines worse than flying bargain airlines. There's no shadow to it, Republicans are anouncing on a loudspeaker exactly what they are doing.
You are misinformed. The polling places are determined by County Elections Boards. In predominantly Democrat areas, those boards are predominantly Democrats. The decision to close polling locations is almost always a financial one.

This is what is so frustrating with the media coverage of this, people have become convinced of something that is not even close to being true. Atlanta is an incredibly diverse place and people get along to an amazing degree. It's great.

Now are there some polling locations that have long lines on Election Day? Yes. That is true in every state. If you dig into the details of those stories you find something much less nefarious, like broken machines, is the culprit.

This is all true. However that doesn't excuse long wait times on voting day. It's not ok that some people need to wait 5 hours to vote, especially since there has been a systematic cutting of polling places in those areas. And then passing laws to make that wait as excruciating of a process as possible. That's not acceptable.
You just don't get it, do you? People make choices. If they make a bad choice that's avoidable, that's on them.

Reactions: 24 so far
"Since the U.S. Supreme Court's Shelby v. Holder decision in 2013 eliminated key federal oversight of election decisions in states with histories of discrimination, Georgia's voter rolls have grown by nearly 2 million people, yet polling locations have been cut statewide by nearly 10%, according to an analysis of state and local records by Georgia Public Broadcasting and ProPublica. Much of the growth has been fueled by younger, nonwhite voters, especially in nine metro Atlanta counties, where four out of five new voters were nonwhite, according to the Georgia secretary of state's office.

The metro Atlanta area has been hit particularly hard. The nine counties — Fulton, Gwinnett, Forsyth, DeKalb, Cobb, Hall, Cherokee, Henry and Clayton — have nearly half of the state's active voters but only 38% of the polling places, according to the analysis."

He doesn't care because his side benefits from cheating.

Reactions: BioHawk
You are misinformed. The polling places are determined by County Elections Boards. In predominantly Democrat areas, those boards are predominantly Democrats. The decision to close polling locations is almost always a financial one.

This is what is so frustrating with the media coverage of this, people have become convinced of something that is not even close to being true. Atlanta is an incredibly diverse place and people get along to an amazing degree. It's great.

Now are there some polling locations that have long lines on Election Day? Yes. That is true in every state. If you dig into the details of those stories you find something much less nefarious, like broken machines, is the culprit.

This is correct, selection of polling places is determined by County Boards and not the State.

It is interesting that in all the national media coverage that they never mention the ineptness of Fulton and DeKalb Elections Boards which are controlled by Democrats, guess that does not advance the desired narrative.

Ok, let's say that is the case. Whose responsibility is it to make sure elections are properly funded? If they are poor areas, that means their EVA is far lower than other locations. The state government needs to step in and provide extra funding. "Not my problem" isn't something the state government gets to say since it is their responsibility to make sure elections are run properly. I'm sure that this is largely a coincidence, but it doesn't look good from the outside looking in and it doesn't seem like any of these states are in a big rush to fix it. Honestly, if they just maintained early voting and vote by mail and not pass stupid laws like "You can't have food delivered to you while waiting in line" then your explanation would make more sense. Full disclosure, I still wouldn't be happy with it, but it wouldn't look like they were actively going out of their way to make it harder for some people to vote.

I read through the page you linked. What is it there that you think refutes what I said? It seems to very clearly SUPPORT my statement.
This part, "The issue is that the law prohibits anyone from doing so."
That is wrong. It prevents political groups and orgs from providing anything within a certain distance of polls.

That is true in every state. If you dig into the details of those stories you find something much less nefarious, like broken machines, is the culprit.

Amazeballs how these "broken machines" aren't a problem during Primaries, but suddenly arise on actual Election Day every election...

"Since the U.S. Supreme Court's Shelby v. Holder decision in 2013 eliminated key federal oversight of election decisions in states with histories of discrimination, Georgia's voter rolls have grown by nearly 2 million people, yet polling locations have been cut statewide by nearly 10%, according to an analysis of state and local records by Georgia Public Broadcasting and ProPublica. Much of the growth has been fueled by younger, nonwhite voters, especially in nine metro Atlanta counties, where four out of five new voters were nonwhite, according to the Georgia secretary of state's office.

The metro Atlanta area has been hit particularly hard. The nine counties — Fulton, Gwinnett, Forsyth, DeKalb, Cobb, Hall, Cherokee, Henry and Clayton — have nearly half of the state's active voters but only 38% of the polling places, according to the analysis."

That doesn't back up your point at all. Your point was:
"At best they are NOT adding polling spots where population is increasing, especially where democrat voters are living"

But your link shows that the worst poll/voter ratio - by far - is Forsyth County, which is 85% white. Next is Cherokee County, which is 74% white. So "they" are not adding polling stations where the white people are, by your own link.

To the extent that polling places have gone down, it has corresponded to an increase in early voting, so fewer locations can handle more people, at a lower cost to the taxpayer.

You have any data for that claim
It was the excuse for long lines, come actual election day, given above. Not by me.

Did you hear of any "broken machines" being a problem for this Primary? I did not.
So, let's see how things pan out this fall....

Who controls those voting locations? If you were paying attention, you wouldn't have made this post.

If anyone doesn't "get it", it's you and people like you. You are willfully missing the point.
Yeah…not the people like Biden calling this “Jim Crow on Steroids”. Two extra weeks to vote. Two black men on the Senate ticket and a black woman on the Governor ticket. Oh the horror! Jim Crow! What a goddamned joke. Shameful.

Nobody is being “prevented” from voting, or disenfranchised.

With early voting, absentee and mail-in ballots, it has never been easier to vote in the United States than it is right now.

If anyone doesn’t vote, it is by choice.

If anyone doesn't "get it", it's you and people like you. You are willfully missing the point.
First of all, I lived in the Atlanta area for 11 years. It's been awhile, but I still go there frequently, and have many friends there. I voted in Gwinnett County.

More important than that, see post 187. You simply don't know what you are talking about.

Yeah…not the people like Biden calling this “Jim Crow on Steroids”. Two extra weeks to vote. Two black men on the Senate ticket and a black woman on the Governor ticket. Oh the horror! Jim Crow! What a goddamned joke. Shameful.
Biden's right.

Some people - white Republicans - are don't want some people - black democrats - to vote. All of these stupid laws across multiple states are for precisely that. Republican voters are fine with it because their side is doing it. Like always.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT