ADVERTISEMENT

Filip Rebraca

Hoop
Klug Stumpey from Saskatchewan is a name to watch. A bulky 6'4" Post with a bad attitude, he makes Wisconsin's Davison look like a choir boy. This 345 lber rules the lane and allows no layups or dunks when he is in the game. Best attribute is as a screener. Biggest ? right now is fouling. He uses all 5 fouls in nearly every game he has played. Averages 12 minutes per contest. he is a tenacious rebounder and often his block outs send opponents flying. Only player I have seen who intentionally misses every free throw as he rebounds 50% of his misses. This physical behemoth is a grad transfer from D II Saskatoon Tech. Definitely someone you can build a program around. Don't worry that he cannot touch the net as he clears the lane with ease. His team was actually censured last season as he broke the ribs of three opposing players and sent one lad to the hospital when Stumpey gave him an elbow to the back on a layup attempt. A gregarious fellow, Klug loves to hunt and fish and has a great love for the outdoors.
Hoop! WTH! 😅😅
You have way too much time to kill.

Reactions: hooper56
Luka struggled against big, athletic 5s and he was NPOY.
This is true, good point. For the record, I never said next year was going to be any different than this past year ;)

The reality is that Luka, through effort, size and strength could generally make the other 5 at least work hard for some buckets. There were some stretches where guys like Kofi made it look rather easy, but Luka was serviceable on defense. Maybe I am being generous.

We should be fine 60-70% of the time, but there are nights where guys who weigh over 250 are going to wear down our lighter forwards. Josh O better be ready.

We will struggle against big athletic 5's and even some 4's. Against the bigger bodies, Josh O will have to utilize his size and his fouls. I just dont see the freshman making much of an impact, as he needs to add some weight.

The good news is that we can go a little smaller against many teams. Keegan is more of a 3/4 but can play some small "5" with his length and quickness. Others will have to help with rebounding.
Always with the guy must add some weight? You do realize if his bio is correct he's as big as Luka was as a freshman basically correct, at 6'11" and 240lbs. The pictures of him on this site are old. He's probably 40lbs heavier at minimum from the one he's standing next to Fran in.

Sure some size disagreements in a thread, which started well. Alcinder is about 7-1/7-2 and Walton 6-11/7-0. Both were highly skilled and agile big men, who helped make UCLA dominant for about a decade. Neither were outside shooters, but there was no shot clock or 3-pt shot, so interior play was much more important. I think that along with Swen Nater, UCLA might have had 3 of the top 4 centers in the country over an 7- or 8-yr span, although they were not all 3 eligible for varsity in the same year, since freshman did not play varsity ball. Nater had much more playing time and success as a pro.

I have not totally kept up with returning rosters and recruiting in the B1G. Other than Purdon't and UM, who has a large really talented center returning? Rebraca would be a welcome addition, giving us at least another legit 4. Seems skilled, but I don't know about defense. As kceast points out Mulvey has been filling out a lot of the past year or two, so he is coming in at about Nunge's size leaving. Big O won't get pushed around near the basket, just need to see more quickness to be effective.

Last edited:
1. "Short" was nowhere in the quote
2. Walton was exceptionally quick for his size
3. Absolutes are for fools...anybody would take a talent like Alcindor given the opportunity. He too...was uniquely agile for his size.
JFC you people are something else. Take an innocuous statement and everybody's a F'ing expert. I guess I should have put the winky guy in there so you Boys didn't get your little feelings hurt about guys that played 50 years ago.

Wooden once said, I'll take the quick player over the big player....the quick one gets there first.
Freshmen couldn't play in those days. Wooden had Kareem, Steve Patterson and then Bill Walton in 8 consecutive seasons. Swen Nader was a reserve on the Patterson/Wicks/Rowe teams and Bill's first two teams. Swen later lead the NBA in rebounding I think.

I wonder how those quicker smaller players felt about getting there first only to have Kareem and Bill just drop in hooks or dunks over their heads. Patterson was a position guy and feeder. Playing at Iowa or most other schools he would have averaged 20 points a game, but the Wicks and Rowe got the shots, and I think they may have had a scoring guard as well.

EDIT: Did not seem the post above. Great minds think alike. Walton was exceedingly quick for his size and era with a huge vertical jump and wingspan. Kareem looked kind of ungainly but the turn into that sky hook was a quick and smooth as it gets. Unstoppable in college. There were only a handful of guys that could keep a young Kareem under control. In college basically Elvin Hayes was about it.

Last edited:
Between both Murrays and Patrick Iowa has 3 of those 6'8 athletic tweeners.

Filip would need to play the 5 to see minutes IMO.
I'm with you on this, especially considering how Rebraca's size and comments about developing his perimeter offensive game gave me pause about bringing him in as a guy to play heavy post minutes. However, when you look at his stats from last year and prior, he does seem like someone who's comfortable playing inside on both ends of the floor.

His career 3PA per game is less than Garza, Keegan, and PMac, and his 3PA rate to FGA is less than all three as well. So it doesn't seem like he's just going to hang out on the perimeter and jack 3s all the time.

His total rebounding % and rebounds per 100 possessions are better than PMac and very comparable to Garza and Keegan. He has the highest defense rebounding percentage of all of them by a decent margin as well. So again, I don't think he's a player who avoids mixing it up on the inside.

His shot blocking numbers aren't as good as the others and have decreased each of his last 3 years, but it would be interesting to see how well he plays defense next to better athletes and not being relied upon to be the number one guy on a team and have to worry as much about foul trouble.

I guess I would say he doesn't fill the need as well as Robbins, but he's still looks like a guy you have to bring in to play good minutes and just somehow make work in your lineup.

I agree, the defensive prowess Keegan has shown gives me optimism that with another 6'8" (or so) athletic player on the floor, Iowa "should" be able to manage the post position on the defensive end reasonably well.
If Fran grab's another smaller Big, he needs to study Dr Tom's defensive scheme. Whenever the ball goes inside you bring 2 defenders. If we play small ball we should be able to do that with better quickness. Just rotate in both Murray's, P-Mac, Rebraca, and Sandfort.

Reactions: mstp1992
Freshmen couldn't play in those days. Wooden had Kareem, Steve Patterson and then Bill Walton in 8 consecutive seasons. Swen Nader was a reserve on the Patterson/Wicks/Rowe teams and Bill's first two teams. Swen later lead the NBA in rebounding I think.

I wonder how those quicker smaller players felt about getting there first only to have Kareem and Bill just drop in hooks or dunks over their heads. Patterson was a position guy and feeder. Playing at Iowa or most other schools he would have averaged 20 points a game, but the Wicks and Rowe got the shots, and I think they may have had a scoring guard as well.

EDIT: Did not seem the post above. Great minds think alike. Walton was exceedingly quick for his size and era with a huge vertical jump and wingspan. Kareem looked kind of ungainly but the turn into that sky hook was a quick and smooth as it gets. Unstoppable in college. There were only a handful of guys that could keep a young Kareem under control. In college basically Elvin Hayes was about it.
Not many dunks. Just the first year of Alcindor.

No, and Giannis couldn't guard him either.

Maybe not, but that's not my point. I was only talking about athleticism. Giannis might be the biggest freak athlete ever in a league full of freak athletes throughout it's history. Kareem wasn't at that level, but he was freakish for most of his career.

JFC you people are something else. Take an innocuous statement and everybody's a F'ing expert. I guess I should have put the winky guy in there so you Boys didn't get your little feelings hurt about guys that played 50 years ago.
funny...you're the one that seems all cranked up about it. Try decaf.

Reactions: BBHawk
Maybe not, but that's not my point. I was only talking about athleticism. Giannis might be the biggest freak athlete ever in a league full of freak athletes throughout it's history. Kareem wasn't at that level, but he was freakish for most of his career.
I think Kareem could have done those things had he played in this era. He was very athletic but clearly the game has done a 180 in the past 25? years.

Always with the guy must add some weight? You do realize if his bio is correct he's as big as Luka was as a freshman basically correct, at 6'11" and 240lbs. The pictures of him on this site are old. He's probably 40lbs heavier at minimum from the one he's standing next to Fran in.
Interesting. He weights more than I realized. Well then, consider me slightly more optimistic.

I think Kareem could have done those things had he played in this era. He was very athletic but clearly the game has done a 180 in the past 25? years.

Gotta say Kareem would score as much today as he did when young. The old Kareem, playing the role of thug for money (how most big men end their careers e.g. Bill Walton) would struggle but the young Kareem's sky hooks would be as easy and makeable as they were 50 years ago. George Mikan's hook would score a lot of points.

I am stunned by how few of today's big college kids don't learn the footwork to get those hooks out to about ten feet. How many tens of thousands of points were scored by Mikan, Wilt, Nate Thurmond, Bob Lanier, Willis Reed, Kareem, Artis, Bill Walton, the forgotten Walt Bellamy and even Shag Daddy on hook shots? Big forwards, Kevin Garnett being the most recent, Kevin McHale, Elvin Hayes and Jerry Lucas worked that soft hook magic.

I mean what's the easiest way to score-get the ball to the biggest guy as close to the basket as possible. Mulvey should be watching film of those guys footwork and body work and throw up about 500 of those a day.

Gotta say Kareem would score as much today as he did when young. The old Kareem, playing the role of thug for money (how most big men end their careers e.g. Bill Walton) would struggle but the young Kareem's sky hooks would be as easy and makeable as they were 50 years ago. George Mikan's hook would score a lot of points.

I am stunned by how few of today's big college kids don't learn the footwork to get those hooks out to about ten feet. How many tens of thousands of points were scored by Mikan, Wilt, Nate Thurmond, Bob Lanier, Willis Reed, Kareem, Artis, Bill Walton, the forgotten Walt Bellamy and even Shag Daddy on hook shots? Big forwards, Kevin Garnett being the most recent, Kevin McHale, Elvin Hayes and Jerry Lucas worked that soft hook magic.

I mean what's the easiest way to score-get the ball to the biggest guy as close to the basket as possible. Mulvey should be watching film of those guys footwork and body work and throw up about 500 of those a day.
Luka said he had been working on a hook shot he would use and I don't remember one last season?

I haven't seen TOS, but I suspect it might have to do with Joey Brunk. I see on Twitter that he and Courtney Eldridge are now following each other.
This was also mentioned as a "makes sense but just a guess" thing in the last podcast, too. The line of thought was that Iowa had recruited Brunk out of HS so maybe there was still some mutual interest. Nothing more than a guess. That Brunk and Eldridge are following each other is a positive, I guess. Not sure how well Brunk has recovered from back surgery, though. I hope better than I did 🙂

Since Brunk didn't play last year because of his back, and he never has been a star at IU, I am not sure that I have an accurate read on him. I remember him as a serviceable physical center, maybe 6-11 250-260, who played pretty well on both ends around the basket, but had limited athleticism and shooting ability. Does that sound right?

Since Brunk didn't play last year because of his back, and he never has been a star at IU, I am not sure that I have an accurate read on him. I remember him as a serviceable physical center, maybe 6-11 250-260, who played pretty well on both ends around the basket, but had limited athleticism and shooting ability. Does that sound right?
He only played one season at IN before his back surgery. I am not sure if he played hurt at Butler his first 2 years or not, but he was a good player out of HS.

This would be the level of guy Fran is capable of getting. Probably a fierce battle between Iowa, Valpo and Evansville for this guy. Rather just suck it up and let Mulvey and Josh get mega PT next year than have a guy who isn't going to add much if anything take PT from them. 31 games in 2019 and he averaged 6.8 ppg. Pretty sure Josh or Mulvey can average at least that.

This would be the level of guy Fran is capable of getting. Probably a fierce battle between Iowa, Valpo and Evansville for this guy. Rather just suck it up and let Mulvey and Josh get mega PT next year than have a guy who isn't going to add much if anything take PT from them. 31 games in 2019 and he averaged 6.8 ppg. Pretty sure Josh or Mulvey can average at least that.
Or...he comes to Iowa and finally plays a season without pain. He's very productive and provides that senior maturity that this team needs inside.

Iowa has the scholarship available. If the staff thinks he's worth it, I say go for it.

Last edited:
This would be the level of guy that posts on this message board

Any more updates on Klug Stumpey? He sounded like the type of player we need about now.
Things have gotten foggy with Klug. Possibility he does not play bb next season as he has an offer right now for guiding at Reindeer Lake Lodge. However it is unclear if Canada will open the border for fishermen from the States. Sources say Alcorn State and Savannah State have reached out. C’mon Fran get on this guy now!

Is this chris Hassel?

Is this chris Hassel?
Is this a person with no expectations for a coach making bank? Iowa spends the season in the top 10 and Fran (apparently) has interest in a guy coming off back surgery who hasn't played for 2 years despite the abundance of talent in the portal? 11 years and 0 second round wins. Guards outscored 67-0 against Oregon. Losing Garza, Jbo, likely JW, CJ having another surgery and Joey Brunk is on Fran's radar. Safe to say Fran's biggest post-season accomplishment when he retires will be that NIT runner up banner from the Dev Marble days.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
This would be the level of guy that posts on this message board
So tell me, why can't Fran land anyone from the portal where there are more kids than spots? I mean clearly you must have some tremendous insight into Fran's strategy. Duke, KU, UNC, Kentucky, and Wisconsin all adding guys from the portal, but not Fran. Nothing to see here right?

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
I have to say that if Fran parlays the successes of Garza into Joey Brunk, I’ll be a bit disappointed. At that point I’d rather see Mulvey/OG cut their teeth and gain some valuable experience, with the occasional small lineup when either gets into foul trouble

Reactions: HawkLogic
So tell me, why can't Fran land anyone from the portal where there are more kids than spots? I mean clearly you must have some tremendous insight into Fran's strategy. Duke, KU, UNC, Kentucky, and Wisconsin all adding guys from the portal, but not Fran. Nothing to see here right?

We've only been working the portal for about 2 weeks folks

I think parlaying Garza/season/ program success into recruiting is more about doing that over a period of time. So guys that you’re recruiting that are in high school, or guys that have been recruited by Iowa previously are more likely targets. That’s not saying you can’t sell it to people in the portal but as mentioned above, but that’s only been for about two or three weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT