ADVERTISEMENT

Oct 31, 2022: Fran brings up putting Students behind the Benches (Beth wants students around the court). Future Renovation of Carver-Hawkeye Arena?

would students have shown up last night if they had seats behind the benches?

maybe it's time to let them in free

and i still think you should feed them pizza, for starters.....

free tickets, free food. why not?

Free ice cream! and sprinkles! :)

icegif-975.gif

Fran has mentioned that a future renovation of CHA is coming. When? Dolph didn't ask and Fran didn't say.

Looks like Northwestern got theirs done just about perfectly.

Kennington covers the Hawks for the Des Moines Register/HawkCentral.

FpW_s3tXoAAPew8

FpXFIYpXgAQSLUw

Last edited:
I was at the game yesterday. The arena is really nice. Assuming NW remains good under Collins it'll be a formidable away venue. 95% of the noise came from the students. But the moment they are 3-10 in league play it'll go back to the old days.

In smaller venues it works to have students behind the buckets. I'd prefer something more like Breslin where one side of the court is students spanning the length of the floor.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I think that many take for granted the enjoyment i get from going to the games and seeing them in person. I was 20 before i transferred to Iowa and went to my first game at carver. I had chills and i still feel like that. I never had a chance to see an Iowa game growing up except on tv. There is something special about seeing the game in person that people aren't getting anymore. The dad who was 'friends" with the starting 5 told his son not to get season tickets? Wth! Rather watch the games on tv and play with his phone? Free food, travel arrangements, free tickets, and a marketing plan to get students into going to the games in person.

Reactions: tWarnerHawk
Fran has mentioned that a future renovation of CHA is coming. When? Dolph didn't ask and Fran didn't say.

Looks like Northwestern got theirs done just about perfectly.

Kennington covers the Hawks for the Des Moines Register/HawkCentral.

Isn't the wrestling facility going to have a tunnel that enters Carver near where the band sits? Maybe this will be part of a renovation inside the arena.

To do anything to CHA to accommodate the students doesn’t seem practica and my views on this has changed. Even my own son, who plays in the pep band, says the students don’t deserve better seating because even the ones that do show up don’t do anything. It would be embarrassing to place all the students in the good seats to just sit there and be on their phones. I’m not sure what the solution is.

Reactions: hooper56
I don't understand the student apathy.

Damn near undefeated at home and play a very entertaining brand of basketball. (Yea, we complain about defense, but games are damn exiting).

Seems like we could be #1 in the conference and students would only show up for the "Big" games.

Maybe a run in the NCAA will finally happen and make an impact.

I don't understand the student apathy.

Damn near undefeated at home and play a very entertaining brand of basketball. (Yea, we complain about defense, but games are damn exiting).

Seems like we could be #1 in the conference and students would only show up for the "Big" games.

Maybe a run in the NCAA will finally happen and make an impact.
The apathy is 90% location, I'll bang this gong until I die. Students don't want to trod miles across a frozen river and tundra to a location where there is nothing to do before and after the game. They want the game day experience, not just to see something they can watch on TV in a bar next to their dorm. Build a downtown arena is option A, build an entertainment district to surround Carver is option B. Renovations may improve the experience for older guys like me who would enjoy a luxury suite, but it won't bring the students in.

To do anything to CHA to accommodate the students doesn’t seem practica and my views on this has changed. Even my own son, who plays in the pep band, says the students don’t deserve better seating because even the ones that do show up don’t do anything. It would be embarrassing to place all the students in the good seats to just sit there and be on their phones. I’m not sure what the solution is.

I agree. I've criticized the students a few times on here but they're nothing more than seat fillers. They barely stand up, make no noise, and have no chants. Unless they're actually going to do more to bring a home advantage, they shouldn't get better seats

Reactions: hooper56
The apathy is 90% location, I'll bang this gong until I die. Students don't want to trod miles across a frozen river and tundra to a location where there is nothing to do before and after the game. They want the game day experience, not just to see something they can watch on TV in a bar next to their dorm. Build a downtown arena is option A, build an entertainment district to surround Carver is option B. Renovations may improve the experience for older guys like me who would enjoy a luxury suite, but it won't bring the students in.
Did they move the arena after the Hawks Nest was founded? I seem to recall a fairly vocal, full student section early on in the Alford days. But that was before big TV’s and cell phones exploded. They should try better cell phone service so they could communicate chants to the students in real time.

Could you ask your son to retire these two chants during opponents FTs attempts?

“Shot, shot, shot, shot shot shot……”

And the ever great one “you’re not gonna make it, no (FT goes in) you’re not gonna make it…”.

Did they move the arena after the Hawks Nest was founded? I seem to recall a fairly vocal, full student section early on in the Alford days. But that was before big TV’s and cell phones exploded. They should try better cell phone service so they could communicate chants to the students in real time.

There were absolutely fewer options for entertainment and fewer distractions during the early Alford days.

The HD viewing options coming around when Lickliter killed the enthusiasm for the program was just TERRIBLE timing. If it was the early 2000s for Fran right now, I think the students would be rowdy.

I do agree that location near downtown or ANY kind of entertainment would help.

Football doesn't have these issues, because it's only 7 Saturdays a year.... Half of them with beautiful weather.... Football tailgating is an EVENT.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
A year ago Fran discussed in that interview (see original post) the difficult discussions that might have to occur with long time season ticket holders of moving them from their prime seats and replacing them with students. Beth brings this up again now.

Here is more from Beth Goetz on eventually moving students closer to the floor at Carver.

The full quotes from the tweet below:

"I think it's just a part of the environment in college basketball and some places really have had that for a long period of time."

"It's hard to argue when you're at those venues what a difference it makes. Moving people around is more complicated than it sounds and it's really important that we want to honor and serve all of our longtime fans and season-ticket holders. But at the same time, you're inviting your student body in."

• Haha
Reactions: skydog0784
It took a year but things are happening....

The story from the Gazette:

Iowa takes first step toward major Carver-Hawkeye Arena renovations with feasibility study

Premium seating, better proximity to court for student section among possible upgrades

John Steppe

John Steppe
Oct. 5, 2023 7:53 pm

IOWA CITY — The University of Iowa is one step closer to possible major renovations of Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Iowa has completed a feasibility study for renovating the 40-year-old arena, interim athletics director Beth Goetz said at the university’s monthly Presidential Committee on Athletics meeting.

“Obviously we love Carver,” Goetz said. “We love the environment there. It’s been just a great friend and home to us for about 40 years, and we need it to continue to be so for a few more decades to come.”

Possible upgrades include fan amenities, premium seating and bringing the student section “a little bit closer to the floor to create that great fan environment.”

“On a basketball court, when you’ve got them a little bit closer to the action, it’s more meaningful to the students,” Goetz said. “We are trying to really engage directly with some student groups. We’ve got a couple classes ... we’ve asked to actually help us understand what would be most important to you as students coming to a game.”

Moving students closer to the court comes with its challenges, though.

“Depending on how you’re seated, moving people around is more complicated than it sounds,” Goetz said after the meeting. “We want to honor and serve all of our longtime fans and season ticket holders. At the same time, you’re inviting your student body in.”

Iowa plans to seek feedback from fans on what to improve at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

“Is this what people envision?” Goetz told The Gazette. “Is this going to serve you in the way that we think it will for the long term?”

The feasibility study is “step one” in the renovation process.

“When we talk about a feasibility study, it’s having architects sit down and say, ‘Hey, what’s possible?’”

The timing of the renovation “all depends on the philanthropic support that we can generate,” Goetz said.

Iowa has sometimes issued bonds to pay for facility upgrades, but Goetz is “approaching it as an entirely philanthropic project at this point.”

“We certainly want to see from a feasibility standpoint what philanthropic support we might be able to get,” Goetz said.

As the renovation planning process continues, Carver Cone connoisseurs do not need to worry.

“I know somebody’s going to make sure we get another ice cream machine,” Goetz said to laughter from the rest of the committee.

Comments: john.steppe@thegazette.com

• Haha
@Max_Rebo , the discussions of (1) moving students closer to the court & (2) of renovating CHA were started at least one year ago so you can't blame Barta for being "asleep at the wheel" on these 2 Carver Hawkeye Arena issues. Barta has simply handed off the baton to Beth.

And, again, does it make sense to reward the students, who currently are not attending the games?

Or, if you reward the students with better seats, will they come?

And will the donors who have the prime seats right now want to move?

The only thing is, people forget that Barta got the ball rolling on this well over a year ago.

This just didn't happen over the last couple days.

I agree this started with Barta. I am just not convinced he would have acted on the results of the study.

Now...I believe we will go forward on some/all of this but my questions are......how many students do we want/need at the games, and whatever that number is do we thing they will show up? I get it...the best seats in the house....but it has not been a real supportive group for one reason or another.

How many seats were impacted and lost by adding the tunnel from the new wrestling facility. The game day band for sure will have to find a new location as well as some students. If they don't move those students closer the the court there's only one way the go and that's up and farther away from the court.
I can see why the athletic department is looking into making changes, but unless they move the big donors to a new location, maybe across to the east side of Carver, nothing will be done.

I agree this started with Barta. I am just not convinced he would have acted on the results of the study.

Now...I believe we will go forward on some/all of this but my questions are......how many students do we want/need at the games, and whatever that number is do we thing they will show up? I get it...the best seats in the house....but it has not been a real supportive group for one reason or another.

I think Barta was concerned about moving the big time donors who were promised those seats; and this is still an issue that Beth now has to address

And I agree with you; the issue continues to be, will the students show up or will all of those prime seats be empty?

This video is from the orig post from a year ago; Fran brings up these issues. He talks about putting the students behind the benches. Is that where they should be??

From Oct 31, 2022:

How many seats were impacted and lost by adding the tunnel from the new wrestling facility. The game day band for sure will have to find a new location as well as some students. If they don't move those students closer the the court there's only one way the go and that's up and farther away from the court.
I can see why the athletic department is looking into making changes, but unless they move the big donors to a new location, maybe across to the east side of Carver, nothing will be done.

If a renovation is indeed coming, I wonder if they will put in some suites

but, again, will the donors want to move?

If a renovation is indeed coming, I wonder if they will put in some suites

but, again, will the donors want to move?
Is adding suites around the concourse at Carver actually feasible without compromising the safety of fans leaving the facility? Again if they install suites below the concourse how many seats would eventually be sacrificed depending how big or how many they put in. My opinion is upper suites would be too far away from the court and if they added suites close to the court, like they did at Pitt, would that really improve the game day experience?
Leave the suites out of it and just move the students behind the benches, keep the amount of students to under a thousand or so, first come first serve, and if they still don't come in the first year of the experiment, that's on them, but I think it's a great idea and it will be great for the overall game experience. If Iowa does it they will come.....they will surely come.

Last edited:
Reactions: libertyhawkeye
How do you replace the revenue the Club seats generate?
By having a winning product! We need to create a home court advantage, this helps with wins and recruiting. Improve the atmosphere and get wins revenue takes care of itself.

I'd just open up the seats to the general public, and add some seats to the students first come first serve. Do it gradually, not all at once. Our teams are good enough, but you have to stop with the all or nothing approach. That's a good way to waste a lot of money changing things and having the same complaints in ten years.

Another question, isn't it too late, to even do a reseat this year since most tickets have probably already been allocated for Iowa's season ticket holders for this coming season?
Don't see it happening for the students this year if at all....

Is adding suites around the concourse at Carver actually feasible without compromising the safety of fans leaving the facility? Again if they install suites below the concourse how many seats would eventually be sacrificed depending how big or how many they put in. My opinion is upper suites would be too far away from the court and if they added suites close to the court, like they did at Pitt, would that really improve the game day experience?
Leave the suites out of it and just move the students behind the benches, keep the amount of students to under a thousand or so, first come first serve, and if they still don't come in the first year of the experiment, that's on them, but I think it's a great idea and it will be great for the overall game experience. If Iowa does it they will come.....they will surely come.
Suites at or near the top of the concourse is a good question. It's certainly more feasible to build than lower in the bowl. Would it be too far to keep big donors content? Maybe, but Kinnick is still pretty far but the additional premium amenities are all there.

With or without suites at the very least Carver needs the concourse expanded. It gets too congested and there's not enough bathroom or food/drink options. Bump-outs can be built around a large portion of the concourse. This would not impact the structure of the arena at all and would allow fans more space to move, hangout, and do their business. Pretty sure Hilton did this a few years back to add more food options and now lines don't immediately encroach into the fans walking along the concourse.

North side has the annex, can't expand there. East side has some space along Elliott. South side will have more space when wrestling facility opens because it previously was a lot of trees. West side has a lot of space.

Suites at or near the top of the concourse is a good question. It's certainly more feasible to build than lower in the bowl. Would it be too far to keep big donors content? Maybe, but Kinnick is still pretty far but the additional premium amenities are all there.

With or without suites at the very least Carver needs the concourse expanded. It gets too congested and there's not enough bathroom or food/drink options. Bump-outs can be built around a large portion of the concourse. This would not impact the structure of the arena at all and would allow fans more space to move, hangout, and do their business. Pretty sure Hilton did this a few years back to add more food options and now lines don't immediately encroach into the fans walking along the concourse.

North side has the annex, can't expand there. East side has some space along Elliott. South side will have more space when wrestling facility opens because it previously was a lot of trees. West side has a lot of space.
. “It gets too congested and there's not enough bathroom or food/drink options.”

They also need to put up signs telling people to not stop in groups 3-5 wide to have a conversation in the middle of the concourse. Move to the windows so you don’t block the traffic.

i haven't seen any details on the possible renovations

and if you put the students behind the benches, where do you put the donors? will they be ok with moving?

Might need to give them free tickets and free food, too
How much does Iowa give visiting teams....what something like 200K? (just a guess) I wouldn't think a couple thousand dollars to buy pizza's for the students would break the bank by any means, others that are in the know can always pipe in on this subject...

How much does Iowa give visiting teams....what something like 200K? (just a guess) I wouldn't think a couple thousand dollars to buy pizza's for the students would break the bank by any means, others that are in the know can always pipe in on this subject...

actually its around $95,000 for the "buy games," IIRC

i haven't seen any details on the possible renovations

and if you put the students behind the benches, where do you put the donors? will they be ok with moving?
If carver is going to be used for the next couple decades still they need to build suites that some donors would be moving to. But at a certain point you have to be willing to a hit here. The percentages they’re receiving from basketball donors compared to money from tv contracts is probably much different than it was 20 years ago.

Help the product, more students will show if they have seats courtside. Accept you’re going to upset some donors, promise them they’ll have priority to purchase new suites whenever they add them.

If carver is going to be used for the next couple decades still they need to build suites that some donors would be moving to. But at a certain point you have to be willing to a hit here. The percentages they’re receiving from basketball donors compared to money from tv contracts is probably much different than it was 20 years ago.

Help the product, more students will show if they have seats courtside. Accept you’re going to upset some donors, promise them they’ll have priority to purchase new suites whenever they add them.

do you think they will build suites at the top? would the donors want to be all the way up there?

here's more info on what Iowa pays/receives:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT