ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Mccaffery outcoached himself again

Roncuba55

HR All-State
Oct 6, 2023
Seriously he is not as good as coach as people are led to believe. Terrible game management in every shape or form you can think of. I'm so tired of just waiting for our team to implode and he stands with his hands in his pocket. Rant over.

Closing in on a career .500 Big Ten record.

you stink elaine benes GIF by HULU

He doesn't stand with his hands in his pockets, it's the outstretched arms with spread fingers followed by the travel motion. Idk what either means but those are the two things he does.

Can someone that understands basketball tell me how he's a good offensive coach? I know I know, they score a ton of points. But It always looks sloppy to me and I feel like the run and gun style and recruiting good shooters is a big part of scoring. When we need a bucket or are trying to protect a lead it's been a disaster. Also it seems like the off balance fade away is the new Iowa offensive strategy. I feel like Iowa is sloppy all around and doesn't value the ball.

Reactions: DewHawk
Can someone that understands basketball tell me how he's a good offensive coach? I know I know, they score a ton of points. But It always looks sloppy to me and I feel like the run and gun style and recruiting good shooters is a big part of scoring. When we need a bucket or are trying to protect a lead it's been a disaster. Also it seems like the off balance fade away is the new Iowa offensive strategy. I feel like Iowa is sloppy all around and doesn't value the ball.
There are many valid criticisms of Fran. Coaching offense is not one of them. Iowa consistently has a top ten offense in the country when it comes to efficiency.

The point of offense is to put the ball in the whole no matter how it looks. Iowa has always been fantastic at that under Fran.

Now teaching defense, demanding this players give max effort, game management, losing his mind, etc… all are things that are valid criticisms.

You are not smart. Getting tired of your lame mediocre is good takes.

Here you go...

Terrible substitution patterns. He never has a feel for the game. He will take a guy who just scored 3 straight baskets out because it's the first media timeout. Almost like the game is scripted.

Never calls the damn timeouts to stop a run. Go from being down by 5 to 15 in 2 minutes. When he does call the timeout, the game is already getting out of hand.

Defense is completely optional in Frans game of basketball.

The only thing he does above average is he draws up good inbounds play. GREAT.

Fran is losing his team. They looked liked to me that they knew they were going to lose that game at least at the 8 minute mark of the second half; maybe sooner. He's losing the fan base. The apathy is real.

Thanks Fran, you've done a lot of good things at IA (sincerely mean that) but the time has come. I think this is it for him, I really do.

Fran is losing his team. They looked liked to me that they knew they were going to lose that game at least at the 8 minute mark of the second half; maybe sooner. He's losing the fan base. The apathy is real.

Thanks Fran, you've done a lot of good things at IA (sincerely mean that) but the time has come. I think this is it for him, I really do.

Have you seen any P5 coach put out a lineup with 4 forwards and a single guard? The sad thing is that lineup doesn't even shoot the 3ball well or rebound well.

Is it me, or can you count on a 3-4. minute scoring drought in each half by Iowa in every game???

There are many valid criticisms of Fran. Coaching offense is not one of them. Iowa consistently has a top ten offense in the country when it comes to efficiency.

The point of offense is to put the ball in the whole no matter how it looks. Iowa has always been fantastic at that under Fran.

Now teaching defense, demanding this players give max effort, game management, losing his mind, etc… all are things that are valid criticisms.
I suppose. And your list of gripes is right on. I still think we've always been sloppy with the ball and have never valued the ball on offense. Fran has had some absolute studs at the 3-5 positions but we've never really had guards to break down the D.

I suppose. And your list of gripes is right on. I still think we've always been sloppy with the ball and have never valued the ball on offense. Fran has had some absolute studs at the 3-5 positions but we've never really had guards to break down the D.

Think Iowa is averaging 10 turnovers or so per game this year, which is good. Iowas regularly been fairly good at protecting the bal, as it’s kinda important to be good on offense which they are.

Seriously he is not as good as coach as people are led to believe. Terrible game management in every shape or form you can think of. I'm so tired of just waiting for our team to implode and he stands with his hands in his pocket. Rant over.
He’s good at offense. He’s good at finding talent before others do and getting bridesmaided at the 11th hour. He’s good at developing a few players who weren’t rated high in high school. He’s good at recruiting the J Crew sales team and aspiring baristas at Starbucks.

Fran is good at a lot of things.

• Love
Reactions: GOHOX69
Think Iowa is averaging 10 turnovers or so per game this year, which is good. Iowas regularly been fairly good at protecting the bal, as it’s kinda important to be good on offense which they are.
Ok fine. You're right about that. Emotions probably get the best of me watching Iowa. Jist seemed so sloppy and loose with the ball last night. Dumb turnovers and bad shots but that's probably not indicative of the Fran era.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Fran's teams have a low ceiling. Lack of good/athletic guard play (especially on defense) is the main reason.

This becomes apparent at/near the end of seasons when so many teams have the ability to take it up another gear and we don't have any more to give.

Reactions: amahawk
That stat doesn’t really tell the story you think it does.
When you don’t penetrate and kick or go to the hole you’re going to have less turnovers. Fran believes he can win by outscoring opponents without a guard that can penetrate. He hates a guard that drives more than anything in the world. He’d rather have a pg with terrible ball handling skills that passes around the perimeter and can’t play defense if they don’t have turnovers that a guy that can defend and penetrate but may have 1 more turnover a game.
Frans belief system defies logic. 1 turnover is bad but giving up 4 layups on defense is ok. It’s like he forgets the goal is to score more than your opponent.

Just as Kirk's brand of no offense all defense works in football against the mediocre and bad teams in the B1G Fran's can do the same against the weaker portion of the league in basketball with the opposite approach. Where this breaks down is that Iowa's offensive production, while very good, isn't consistent enough to overcome the lack of any semblance of defense. Any significant scoring droughts during a game and they are doomed.

Reactions: amahawk
Ok fine. You're right about that. Emotions probably get the best of me watching Iowa. Jist seemed so sloppy and loose with the ball last night. Dumb turnovers and bad shots but that's probably not indicative of the Fran era.
No, dumb (weak) turnovers are absolutely indicative of the Fran era. It’s the first thing I think of when I think of Hawkeye basketball over the last ten years. That and getting out rebounded every ***damned game.

Sometimes there are too many turnovers. And Sometimes you look at the box score and there are only 8 or 9 turnovers and you think “oh that’s not bad”. But the when and the how of some of those turnovers is brutal.

I don’t even care about the risks associated with getting a new coach. You could tell me it’s 50/50 odds we get another Lickliter and I don’t care, as long as something changes.

Uncle!! Uncle!!

He’s good at offense. He’s good at finding talent before others do and getting bridesmaided at the 11th hour. He’s good at developing a few players who weren’t rated high in high school. He’s good at recruiting the J Crew sales team and aspiring baristas at Starbucks.

Fran is good at a lot of things.
There used to be some hot girls who used to work at j crew in the Chicago outlet mall when I was in high school. I bought a lot of pants from those gals!

• Love
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok

True up to this year. This years team struggles to score when we play a team that plays tough man to man defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT