ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's Continual Missing On Recruits

The Hawkeye program is completely irrelevant. Being a dedicated fan who watches every game won't change this. My blood pressure will go down when I come to accept this fact. Just need to enjoy the program for what it's worth: a tourney win here or there. There is no upside for Iowa in the dog eat dog world of college hoops. The focus of the program is recruiting and developing "good" kids.

The Hawkeye program is completely irrelevant. Being a dedicated fan who watches every game won't change this. My blood pressure will go down when I come to accept this fact. Just need to enjoy the program for what it's worth: a tourney win here or there. There is no upside for Iowa in the dog eat dog world of college hoops. The focus of the program is recruiting and developing "good" kids.

This is what annoys me a bit about the Iowa fan base. Iowa CAN be relevant in Basketball and other sports. Heck, freaking Loyola made it to a Final Four this past year. Iowa was one defensive stop from being in the College Football Playoff not too long ago. It takes a Coach that gets players to buy in and create a atmosphere of winning. Fran has done a good job at Iowa, but we need him to get this program to another level in the not too distant future.

This is what annoys me a bit about the Iowa fan base. Iowa CAN be relevant in Basketball and other sports. Heck, freaking Loyola made it to a Final Four this past year. Iowa was one defensive stop from being in the College Football Playoff not too long ago. It takes a Coach that gets players to buy in and create a atmosphere of winning. Fran has done a good job at Iowa, but we need him to get this program to another level in the not too distant future.
I agree with this, but I didn't see much buy in from the players last year, or even a clear plan, at least on the defensive end. We obviously didn't see an atmosphere of winning, and excitement over Iowa BB hasn't been where it needs to be for a couple of decades. I thought Iowa had a real shot to move forward with the addition of Carton (or another top PG) to play with the guys already on the team and PMc. I think CMc would be a fine backup PG, but I don't see the team going forward without a top PG that plays at a high level on both ends of the court.

You should be annoyed at college cheating (primarily) and Gary Barta (secondarily). I'm here. I'm passionate. There's no way we can overcome those two factors on a consistent enough basis to be relevant nationally. Once every five years the stars align for KF to make a big season with slow ball. Fran isn't going to sign up for that methodology. The programs simply won't have the top tier talent of the cheaters, blue bloods, and better geographical regions. (I'm happy we don't stoop low FWIW)

I wouldn't want to play for Fran based on his interactions with players during games. Add to that an inability to teach and demand defense and rebounding and, well, no wonder GB gave the man an extension. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just you. Nobody playing significant minutes leaves the program. CW left because he thought Connor would pass him up. Other than that, no significant departures including many who have got an earful from Fran. :rolleyes:

Reactions: perryhawk
I agree with this, but I didn't see much buy in from the players last year, or even a clear plan, at least on the defensive end. We obviously didn't see an atmosphere of winning, and excitement over Iowa BB hasn't been where it needs to be for a couple of decades. I thought Iowa had a real shot to move forward with the addition of Carton (or another top PG) to play with the guys already on the team and PMc. I think CMc would be a fine backup PG, but I don't see the team going forward without a top PG that plays at a high level on both ends of the court.

I also agree. I was just trying to make the point that Iowa has the ability to be relevant if under the right leadership.

Loyola played with savy and played with a chip on their shoulders because they knew that they were an underdog and they wanted to prove to everyone that they belonged there.
No superstars there but a lot of desire and they played with a lot of passion.

Fran has done a good job at Iowa, but we need him to get this program to another level in the not too distant future.
He got the ship righted on the heels of the Lickdebacle era, but that’s where it’s stalled.

How much longer does he get to move us up from the perennial 8-12 finish in the conference and into a consistent 3-7 range for an extended period? To me, that is where Iowa should consistently finish.

Maybe I expect too much?

I wouldn't want to play for Fran based on his interactions with players during games. Add to that an inability to teach and demand defense and rebounding and, well, no wonder GB gave the man an extension. :rolleyes:
Hey, Aristotle, don't play for him then. Check out the women's chess team.

Continual misses? Fran has 2 top 75 recruits on the team right now in Cook and Wieskamp.

From a recruiting standpoint, what more could have Fran done to land DJ? PMac and DJ are really good friends. Even that wasn't enough to get it done. It's not easy to land top 20 recruits. Literally everyone in the country wants those guys.

Fran can't sell the history that Indiana, Michigan and tOSU can. That's not his fault. He also can't sell more recent success. That is his fault. I think this is a make or break year for Fran. He needs to win so he can sell that to the top recruits.

He could have targeted and recruited DJ 1st. Wisconsin was the 1st major school to show interest in him and I think the Home school loyalty would’ve been a lot more had we been the 1st school

Iowa is out with Carton and probably will be out with Foster. With all of that said, this is a trend for Fran. He continually misses on top targets, and the same apologists on here continue to make excuses.

If Iowa has a record similar to that of last year along with recruiting misses then I don't see how you can't move on?
Could you sell a recruit to play for Iowa, regardless of what your opinion is of the current coach/staff?

I find it odd that many people do not understand how recruiting works. Even the Dukes and Kentucky's of the world do not get all the prospects they covet.

Instead of attacking Fran, perhaps one should care to listen and understand what D.J. Carton is looking for. Not every recruit wants to play for their home state school, sometimes they want to find a system they feel they fit better in, or for a program that is more successful, or for a certain type of coach (coaching staff). Fran was not the issue in what D.J. was looking for, if anything I'm more critical of the Iowa fans and their treatment of past home grown kids (Bohannon and Pemsl last year got eaten alive by iowa fans... before that Woodbury and Ogelsby were whipping boys).

My challenge to iowa fans is to appreciate who wants to be a Hawkeye and go out and support those guys with fire and passion.... the rest wil take care of itself in time. We've lost our way as a fanbase in my opinion.

The problem is the guy was 4-14 in B1G last year and failed to make hay when he had stars in Marble/White/ Uthoff/Jok...too many late season collapses and his ncaa wins over lowly Temple/Davidson were more than offset by blow out losses to Gonzaga/Villanova and play-in loss to mediocre UT team.

I personally don't see a big jump in record this year...another stinker year from Fran will show that Barta made an awful move to extend Fran's contract for 10 years. I appreciate JoeW, but Fran has been awful at getting PG/guard talent. Why should Iowa kids like JayBo, Gatens and JoeW keep going to Iowa City to be surrounded by shitty talent and poor coaching an a 10 man lineup when only 3 or 4 are legit B1G players. I get it, Fran can recruit his own kids...jury is out if they are B1G difference makers. I do like Fran the person, but Fran the coach...looks like he has program heading wrong direction.

The problem is the guy was 4-14 in B1G last year and failed to make hay when he had stars in Marble/White/ Uthoff/Jok...too many late season collapses and his ncaa wins over lowly Temple/Davidson were more than offset by blow out losses to Gonzaga/Villanova and play-in loss to mediocre UT team.

I personally don't see a big jump in record this year...another stinker year from Fran will show that Barta made an awful move to extend Fran's contract for 10 years. I appreciate JoeW, but Fran has been awful at getting PG/guard talent. Why should Iowa kids like JayBo, Gatens and JoeW keep going to Iowa City to be surrounded by shitty talent and poor coaching an a 10 man lineup when only 3 or 4 are legit B1G players. I get it, Fran can recruit his own kids...jury is out if they are B1G difference makers. I do like Fran the person, but Fran the coach...looks like he has program heading wrong direction.
KF went 4-8 in 2012 and revamped his program. I think last year was a similar experience for Fran. He is a proven 20+ win, top half of the B1G coach.

(Villanova beat Iowa on their way to becoming the National Champion.)

He could have targeted and recruited DJ 1st. Wisconsin was the 1st major school to show interest in him and I think the Home school loyalty would’ve been a lot more had we been the 1st school

Iowa was 1st to show interest, Wisconsin was 1st to offer. Fran and Iowa advised D.J. of some things they wanted to see him improve on, he did (jump shot), and he got his offer. Then of course he blew up this Spring and here we are.

His choice had nothing to do with Iowa not showing interest first.

Fran has to land a serviceable PG in the 2019 class. Im not saying a top 100 type of player. HE needs a Bryce Cartwright type of guard. A guy who can pass the ball and attack the lane. He doesn't need to score 20+pts, he just has to be able to handle the ball and play defense.

If Fran thinks that Connor and JBO are our only options, then we will be in trouble moving forward. Fran has to get Iowa to some sort of post season this year. If we miss again, I hate to say that his seat should be HOT/boiling.

Reactions: dawgs_04
Fran has to get Iowa to some sort of post season this year. If we miss again, I hate to say that his seat should be HOT/boiling.
Unless they match or do worse than last year probably not. All thanks to his contract gift extension.

Speaking of Barta, his seat will or at least should be boiling if Iowa MBB doesn’t show significant improvement this coming year. Improvement must be reflected in W-Ls.

To be fair, he said getting blown out by them was an “offset”.
That Nova team was an elite team that played an incredible tourney. They blew out 7 seed Iowa by 19, blew out 3 seed Miami by 23, blew out 2 seed Oklahoma (with POY Buddy Hield) by 44, and also beat 1 seed Kansas and 1 seed UNC.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Loyola played with savy and played with a chip on their shoulders because they knew that they were an underdog and they wanted to prove to everyone that they belonged there.
No superstars there but a lot of desire and they played with a lot of passion.

Also have 3 guys transfer from major programs and come in and play in a mid-major conference. Winning games brings confidence and poise. Loyola won the MVC and won a lot of games which in turn their players were confident no matter who they were playing. Similar to UNI a few years back when they upset KU in the 2nd round. They both had good PG's who could handle the pressure and be the team leader in clutch situations.

Iowa just has to find the right fit at PG. I love JBO and think he is a great player, but he is not the PG Iowa needs. Iowa needs a tempo pusher who can attack the lane and "force" the defense to collapse. That would open the shooters and the big men in the system. Right now Iowa doesn't have that, nor have they had that type of player since Cartwright I hate to say it.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
He got the ship righted on the heels of the Lickdebacle era, but that’s where it’s stalled.

How much longer does he get to move us up from the perennial 8-12 finish in the conference and into a consistent 3-7 range for an extended period? To me, that is where Iowa should consistently finish.

Maybe I expect too much?

This can’t be serious.

Please list how Iowa finished (by year) in the B1G under FM.

Maybe I expect too much?

I’ll just list them for you.

2011 - 10th
2012 - 7th
2013 - 6th
2014 - 6th
2015 - 3rd
2016 - 3rd
2017 - 5th
2018 - 11th

That looks to be the definition of “perennial 8-12” right there.

College basketball isn't about recruiting

Hilarious!!! Head coaching jobs at programs like Iowa, in states that severely lack big time in-state talent, have always been about recruiting, and they always will be. It's amazing how many dumb sports fans there are out there. It's the Dunning-Kruger effect personified.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Unless they match or do worse than last year probably not. All thanks to his contract gift extension.

Speaking of Barta, his seat will or at least should be boiling if Iowa MBB doesn’t show significant improvement this coming year. Improvement must be reflected in W-Ls.

Most people know I’ve defended barta quite a bit, sometimes due to lack of appreciation and other times from lack of understanding. But the state of the basketball program is certainly on him. I do not fault him for his approach, his hires, and I think reasonable people would have made very similar moves. But we are one bad season away from actually being in worse shape than the Alford era. Fran was looking like a ballsy yet brilliant hire at one point. He was still a very good hire, but it’s definitely plateaued. The contract extension was an aggressive move that has put a ton of pressure on both of them.

Looks like Fran is doing exactly what he needs to be doing according to @LaQuintaHawkeye
Edit: the following is actually intended for iahwks10

Nice research. I stand corrected. Sure hasn't felt like we've finished that well over his tenure.

Although, he appears to have us heading in the wrong direction. I doubt this year will see us finish in the top 8 either...hope I'm wrong about that too.

The following year will be his bell-weather on if he has what it takes to get us back to conference contention.

Tell me Mr. Research, when was the last time we won a MBB regular season title anyway?

Last edited:
I’ll just list them for you.

2011 - 10th
2012 - 7th
2013 - 6th
2014 - 6th
2015 - 3rd
2016 - 3rd
2017 - 5th
2018 - 11th

That looks to be the definition of “perennial 8-12” right there.
My reply above was actually intended for you.

tenor.gif

You should be annoyed at college cheating (primarily) and Gary Barta (secondarily). I'm here. I'm passionate. There's no way we can overcome those two factors on a consistent enough basis to be relevant nationally. Once every five years the stars align for KF to make a big season with slow ball. Fran isn't going to sign up for that methodology. The programs simply won't have the top tier talent of the cheaters, blue bloods, and better geographical regions. (I'm happy we don't stoop low FWIW)

But theres guys out there who are good guards that could make a huge difference to this team and aren't going to big time programs.

They're just not being identified by Fran.

Frans strategy is not working. His identification of talent at the guard positions is not working.

On one hand I've never been a big fan of Fran's coaching ability, but on the other hand it's important to note that every coach whiffs on recruits all the time.

Beilein missed on 5 stars like Derryck Thornton (Duke), TJ Leaf (UCLA), Tyus Battle (decommitted then went to Syracuse), Josh Langford (MSU), Luke Kennard (Duke), Devin Booker (Kentucky), etc that he was either favored to land at one point in their recruitment or at worst cofavorite as well as others like Jaylen Brown (Cal), Jalen Brunson (Nova), Jamal Murray (Kentucky), PJ Dozier (South Carolina) and others that he was heavily involved with.

In recruiting it isn't about the ones you miss out on. Every school has a starting 5 of elite recruits they almost landed. It's the ones you do get and how you coach them up.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Unless it's winning the title, I care about B1G finish only in how it affects NCAA tourney bids and seeding.
NCAA bids and NCAA tourney record are the bottom line measures of success.
With that as the basis, Fran's time at Iowa to date has been middling at best.

Don't worry Fran the master of roster construction just offered another big in the 2020 class, Cant have enough bigs and swing guys on the roster You know .

Now that is some funny shit right there. Coordinate recruiting for a major college program on your rented computer in the dark corner of your mother's musty basement. Look at that video.....offer that guy!
Well from His basement He could do better recruiting the PG position than Fran

On one hand I've never been a big fan of Fran's coaching ability, but on the other hand it's important to note that every coach whiffs on recruits all the time.

Beilein missed on 5 stars like Derryck Thornton (Duke), TJ Leaf (UCLA), Tyus Battle (decommitted then went to Syracuse), Josh Langford (MSU), Luke Kennard (Duke), Devin Booker (Kentucky), etc that he was either favored to land at one point in their recruitment or at worst cofavorite as well as others like Jaylen Brown (Cal), Jalen Brunson (Nova), Jamal Murray (Kentucky), PJ Dozier (South Carolina) and others that he was heavily involved with.

In recruiting it isn't about the ones you miss out on. Every school has a starting 5 of elite recruits they almost landed. It's the ones you do get and how you coach them up.

Bill Self said it well: “If you’re not hearing a lot more “no’s” than “yes’s”, you’re recruiting the wrong kids.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT