ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to the B1G

Rohan discusses the hearing in Tallahassee

FSU vs ACC: Legal EXPERT Says Noles Get BIG WIN in Court

Who knows if true. It looks like crap at first glance and is probably worse after running the numbers

Thread

FSU and Clemson are trending

Why would FSU stay in an abusive relationship with ESPN in the SEC. FSU holds all the cards. Refuse to negotiate and ESPN does not pick up the option which sets the media rights at $0 which allows FSU to walk out penalty free.

FSU needs to get away from ESPN and when they get out of the ACC come to the BIG.

Because they're shady!
7da4d147-695b-4e47-aba5-0634a3336ea8_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanseminole
Who knows if true. It looks like crap at first glance and is probably worse after running the numbers

Thread

FSU and Clemson are trending

So if you have been following realignment forever, that is none other than the Dude of WV rebranded. So his credibility is less than zero.

That said, this is one of the more credible things I've heard from him. I think his numbers are off, BUT I've always thought that FSU/CU to the SEC could be facilitated pretty easily by ESPN.

The GOR ultimately isn't in place to protect the ACC, it's there to protect ESPN. Once ESPN decides that they want FSU/CU to move to the SEC, they will be able to make it happen. I think that some variation on this is probably a 50%+ possibility.

So if you have been following realignment forever, that is none other than the Dude of WV rebranded. So his credibility is less than zero.

That said, this is one of the more credible things I've heard from him. I think his numbers are off, BUT I've always thought that FSU/CU to the SEC could be facilitated pretty easily by ESPN.

The GOR ultimately isn't in place to protect the ACC, it's there to protect ESPN. Once ESPN decides that they want FSU/CU to move to the SEC, they will be able to make it happen. I think that some variation on this is probably a 50%+ possibility.

That explains a comment mentioning West Virginia in the replies to one of his tweets

But why would FSU want to remain in any sort of relationship with ESPN after what has transpired? FSU just needs to hold on another year or so and force the issue and ESPN won't extend the ACC contract, leaving the GOR with no value, and the conference crumbles. FSU walks from it with just an exit fee then.

Reactions: BelemNole
But why would FSU want to remain in any sort of relationship with ESPN after what has transpired? FSU just needs to hold on another year or so and force the issue and ESPN won't extend the ACC contract, leaving the GOR with no value, and the conference crumbles. FSU walks from it with just an exit fee then.

I’ll take SEC if that is our only option. I far prefer the B1G.

We get treated like trash in the ACC and have since the day we joined. We would receive worse treatment in the SEC. Those hillbillies would consider us like fraternity pledges for the next 50 years.

Until the playoff snub, most FSU fans favored going to the SEC. This is mostly due to proximity and the assumption that fans of SEC schools would travel in greater numbers to Tallahassee. They haven’t connected the dots that many of the multitude of midwesterners living in Florida are fans or alumni of B1G schools.

We get treated like trash in the ACC and have since the day we joined. We would receive worse treatment in the SEC. Those hillbillies would consider us like fraternity pledges for the next 50 years.
I remember Ira doing a story based on fan claims of bias of the ACC refs. He went in thinking, "Ya right" and after his research he came away with, "Holy Crap! They were right!"

I remember Ira doing a story based on fan claims of bias of the ACC refs. He went in thinking, "Ya right" and after his research he came away with, "Holy Crap! They were right!"
You remember the poster Brick House on Warchant doing a study on biased refereeing against FSU? He did as a professor at Miami Ohio and it was published in a professional journal.

I do think that's a very real consideration. And its not even just an ACC thing...if the SEC isn't looking at what kind of partner ESPN has been to the ACC, and feeling a little nervous, they're stupid. It's not like the SEC is ESPN's boy, and the ACC is the milk man's boy...ESPN is a nakedly mercenary operation that treats its college football partners like shit. For SEC teams to be like "Well, they'll never treat us badly..." that's just incredibly dumb and short sighted.

The problem is...all your peers are still in the SEC. The coaches and kids you recruit are from SEC territory. Competitively, the SEC is the Majors and the Big 10 is AAA. When the SEC wins five national titles to the B1G's one title, they just aren't even remotely the same level.

We've literally ALREADY DONE THIS. We've already done the "let's join an easier conference that pays more" and you can't predict the future. If you throw in with the SEC you are at least, no matter what happens in the future, that you are on the same playing field with your regional peers. Does anyone remember when the BiG cancelled the season over COVID? How much do you want to be subject to the B1G's rules on covid, concussions, equity, etc, while UF, UGA, LSU, and maybe Clemson, are not?

All that said, I've gone from about 70% favoring the SEC to about 51.5% favoring the SEC. I still think the SEC locks in your floor. But if the B1G adds Clemson, and maybe Miami and GT...I think you've really got something there.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Long post

Not that many weeks ago I made a post outling ESPN's choice or non-choice for extending the ACC TV contract past 2027.

Every point I made in that post still stands today. In short, nobody knows, outside of ESPN themselves, if they even know, what their plans are for the ACC TV contract. But we can use logic, data, and intelligence to break this topic down.

Is there a world that exists, from a value perspective, where an ACC is worth the same as it is today for the annual conference payout without Florida State and Clemson? No.

Is there a world that exists where ESPN could renegotiate the contract? Yes

Is there a world that exists where FSU will still be an ACC member in 4 years? Only if it went to trial and a loss occured, but otherwise no. The same with Clemson.

The economics, a word that Patrick Crakes loves to use to talk about TV networks and finances, do not support a continuation of the ACC TV contract without Clemson and Florida State.

Do the remaining ACC schools, without FSU and Clemson, over-earn on strategic value? No. That is why, as I argued in the other post on this topic, it is likely that ESPN does not opt to extend the ACC TV deal past 2027. The economics doesn't work. Could ESPN surprise everyone and extend it? Sure, but that would defy any sensce of math/profit analysis that shows the value isn't there to continue an extension.

As part of this topic, last night I spent time covering the GOR and ESPN TV contract topic in order to help everyone have the proper understand for what the GOR is tied to and what isn't tied to and the "out" pathway for FSU of the ESPN TV contract.

In order for FSU to compete in a new conference, they need their media rights. The fastest way to pay $0.00 for the GOR, in theory, is for FSU to no longer be apart of the ESPN TV deal. ESPN doesn't pay the ACC, the ACC doesn't get the revenue from the loss of those rights, allowing for FSU to negotiate a $0.00 value, in theory.

FSU could announce they are leaving the ACC tomorrow or on June 30th, or any other random day, if FSU has already confirmed langugage in the TV contract where the TV contract is only for an ACC member only and there is no university/BOT signature on that TV contract.

Clemson has a solid arguement in their lawsuit, fwiw.

Therefore, the ACC is at risk of not only not getting a TV extension, but also FSU getting out for less than $100M. If FSU's "escape pathway" can be replicated by others, the ACC is in danger of going the path of the Pac-12.

That is why the ACC has to become smarter on this and settle with FSU and Clemson and work with ESPN on a new TV deal for the remaining ACC members before FSU uses any type of wording in that TV contract to leave without the ACC getting a financail benefit.

I was the first and only person to provide a pathway of 6 possible ACC schools departing the conference to the P2 until YouTubers decided to copy for content needs.

But the ACC is not going to survive in any form it is today if they lose even 5 schools.

In order for ESPN to want to continue to do business with the ACC, ESPN needs to know who is going to be a member of the ACC past 2027 in order to renegotiate a new TV deal or kill the contract by not taking the extension option.

Be smart, ACC, I am warning you many times about this. Be smart. Be smart. Don't become the Pac-12. Right now you are on the pathway of becoming the next Pac-12.

Last edited:
I’ll take SEC if that is our only option. I far prefer the B1G.

Until the playoff snub, most FSU fans favored going to the SEC. This is mostly due to proximity and the assumption that fans of SEC schools would travel in greater numbers to Tallahassee. They haven’t connected the dots that many of the multitude of midwesterners living in Florida are fans or alumni of B1G schools.
I'd go to a few games if FSU was in the B1G.

Reactions: goldmom

"The pressure on the declining pay TV system which still (and probably will in the future) covers 80% of the economics for Tier 1 sports means distributors can only support realignments & leagues that over-earn on strategic value to the general market sports fans that still subscribe to PayTV. Properties that meet that definition are getting harder to find. There isn’t any room for a Super League that isn’t filled with Super Teams from top to bottom."

Reactions: noleclone2
Apparently FSU has some very mediocre lawyers. Lawyers on 247 have been frustrated with them during hearings in both cases. Today the Florida judge gave FSU’s lawyers 7 days to amend FSU complaint because it lacks specificity.

That's normal.. No unusual at all.

As for our lawyers, they are with the longtime law firm of the republican party of Florida.
As a guy with a bunch of lawyer friends in Florida, their competitors are taking delight. Definitely a bad day for that firm, and especially their Tallahassee office.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
As for our lawyers, they are with the longtime law firm of the republican party of Florida.
Oh. Apparently a fatal mistake. OTOH Morgan and Morgan are huge Dem lawyers. We shoulda hired Ol Captain Morgan. That’s all. 🙄

There is some smoke that perhaps TAMU and ND will be teams 19 and 20 in the B1G. Could be running out of musical chairs.

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D

Goodness I did this for years. Send a public records request. Either they do not answer or they send you 200 boxes and the one document you need is in the middle of box 67. But if they do not answer what do you do? A writ of mandamus is what you do. To have the court force people in positions of power to do what they are legally required to do. That’s what our AG did. I’m proud.

Florida public records law is absolutely solid. It’s called sunshine law for a reason. And yet people still try to get around it. You can’t. You’re running up legal fees trying.

Like I said many months ago. They were going to argue trade secret. That is not a shock. That’s the only way they have to get around this. I just don’t see one. What you have some secret formula to a monopolistic domination of over half the country?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT