ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official FSU CFB early signing day & transfer portal thread*****

People can keep saying over and over and over reloading in the portal is not the way and you have to throw money at 5 star 17-18 year olds but I am here to tell you Portal/Veteran retention > High School recruiting as far as importance and where to use money.

To be clear you need both, but you need to allocate 10-15 percent max of your NIL to high school recruits and 85% to portal and key veteran retention. This is the way. Blowing 7 figures on 5 star receivers or defensive backs that will not contribute much as freshman and can transfer out is not the way. FSU out of combination of need and vision figured this out first and have built a culture of guys like Johnson and Verse and Benson all telling everyone FSU is where you want to go to get coached and make a run at NFL.

Not exactly the correct thread, but looks like Cam Ward is transferring to Miami.

People can keep saying over and over and over reloading in the portal is not the way and you have to throw money at 5 star 17-18 year olds but I am here to tell you Portal/Veteran retention > High School recruiting as far as importance and where to use money.

To be clear you need both, but you need to allocate 10-15 percent max of your NIL to high school recruits and 85% to portal and key veteran retention. This is the way. Blowing 7 figures on 5 star receivers or defensive backs that will not contribute much as freshman and can transfer out is not the way. FSU out of combination of need and vision figured this out first and have built a culture of guys like Johnson and Verse and Benson all telling everyone FSU is where you want to go to get coached and make a run at NFL.

I agree with you, FSU has built an approach and structure out of necessity that is well ahead of Clemson and Alabama. Both of them can be stuck in the past and get the HS 5*s but collecting the shorter term ready now is definitely going to be a path everyone has to embrace. Or not, and they can fall behind and complain about falling behind and having their players poached.

But when you are the one losing key players vs collecting the players, it makes for a different song. Im sure FSU will grumble in a couple years when people poach our next best thing. I do love the Portal's ability to let players who were ignored out of HS build themselves up and transition into a major D1 program. IMO, that is the best aspect of the Portal for the players.

4 star high school DE flipped from Alabama

Thats the type of flips I am interested in. FSU needs to home grow AND poach from the Transfer Portal. Really interested to see what the Saban effect is before and after the announcement of his retirement to the next year's HS class. I fully think kids went there for him (he is a legendary coach) but really interested to see Alabama in 4 years.

Have we ever had a player transfer to us from Hogtown?

I know I remember a guy going the other way - starting at FSU & then moving down in the world. Blanking on the name but IIRC he was initially a RB & moved to DB due to lack of playing time
Vannez Gooch is the name you’re looking for. Split carries with minor, dee feaster and Davy ford in 97 then transferred to UF.

OgztX9P.png

BPsI3i.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT