141: Block - SO
149: Chittum - JR
157: Seibrecht/Riggins - SR/JR
165: PK - SR
174: Arnold - SO
184:
197: Franklin - JR
HWT: Kueter - SO

What is Iowa's plan for 184 in 24? Typically that would be in the incoming class. Then 133 & 184 in 2025 - 184 answered year before?
If Schriever 2024 is starting we are I trouble. I’m sure he’s a good dude and all but hasn’t shown himself to be anywhere near AA status.

I'm merely following history. We shall see
I’m hoping you’re right but now that the NCAA tightened their transfer rules (one free transfer then a required year out of competition) hoping for annual transfers isn’t something that Iowa wrestling should be relying on.

I’m hoping you’re right but now that the NCAA tightened their transfer rules (one free transfer then a required year out of competition) hoping for annual transfers isn’t something that Iowa wrestling should be relying on.

That’s not very tight. Not too many kids transfer twice. Yes, I know Teske has.

Anyway, other schools take full advantage of transfers. Why shouldn’t Iowa?

That’s not very tight. Not too many kids transfer twice. Yes, I know Teske has.

Anyway, other schools take full advantage of transfers. Why shouldn’t Iowa?
They should get transfers, I’m not saying they shouldn’t, but to rely on them is a fools errand.

Don’t get me wrong I’ll be cheering as loudly as the next fan when this years hypothetical top 5 197er decides to come to wear the black and gold. I’m just saying that Lugos, ADS’s, Eireman’s, and Woods’s don’t come around all that often. To expect them to come every year to fill recruiting gap holes leaves Iowa open to some not great possibilities.

The portal doors were wide open the past few years, with this change I’d expect to see less action. But no, this should not stop Iowa from fielding the best team possible and finding transfers. Though it may slow them a bit. I’m practicing caution till I see how this plays out.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
They shouldn't be relying on it anyway. It should only be needed when something happens causing a proper plan A to fall through or used as a nice to do. Weights not properly recruited in the first place shouldn't be the reason but has become common. We were using a walk on at 133 and were lucky to get ADS. We didn't really have much lined up after Sorenson without getting Lugo. Then we had a hole opposite Murin at 141/149 and we lucked out and got Eierman. Now we are losing a top 10 caliber recruit at 197 and recruited a guy in the 40s in Franklin to take over. We still didn't have 133 addressed when ADS left. Our current 157 was essentially a walk on. Our current 174 was ranked like 90 something. We are actually getting way more out of Cobe and Brands than you would expect but neither are ranked as AA finishers.

Reactions: TarpHawk and js8793
The transfer portal is just one avenue for building a team. Obviously RECRUITING has to be the 1st and foremost way to bring in kids. I think the "one free transfer" rule is a good one. Allows a kid to make a move, but does not allow it to become the wild west.

Not sure how it effects those who had entered the portal and transferred before the new rule was in place? I would assume that those kids burnt their 1 time?

Vallholl- ya lost me brother? I was good up till the Fwiw. Please help me out with the YDHTFM and who is EB? Thanks

Reactions: Valholl and vhsalum
I know a couple years away but thoughts on Max Magayna for a recruit for 184? Other recruits for that weight or portal options?
Its hard to determine how good Max is. His HS competition hasn't been all that impressive. Getting 5t at Gable Donnybrook and not placing at the Independence FS tourney is interesting.

Reactions: Gobblin
They shouldn't be relying on it anyway. It should only be needed when something happens causing a proper plan A to fall through or used as a nice to do. Weights not properly recruited in the first place shouldn't be the reason but has become common. We were using a walk on at 133 and were lucky to get ADS. We didn't really have much lined up after Sorenson without getting Lugo. Then we had a hole opposite Murin at 141/149 and we lucked out and got Eierman. Now we are losing a top 10 caliber recruit at 197 and recruited a guy in the 40s in Franklin to take over. We still didn't have 133 addressed when ADS left. Our current 157 was essentially a walk on. Our current 174 was ranked like 90 something. We are actually getting way more out of Cobe and Brands than you would expect but neither are ranked as AA finishers.
Agree that the portal and otherwise is not the way to build a team, but it is very useful as you point out. We have 4 "Twitch" athletes walking in this fall and woulda been 5. All have 4 years of eligibility and all appear to be Finalist quality wrestlers...........right? This is exactly what we need.

I believe another one or two will join these guys based on History of transfers. This happens, and we are the favorites.

Note that all of this is BEFORE the facility is ready to be used.

I got to know Tom pretty well during the campaign to raise funds for the Facility. The man is tireless and impatient. Recruiting is an even bigger priority. Check out that Teske interview of several weeks ago, re his comment of how many times Tom called right after he hit the portal. You can bet your sweet a__ that our staff are all over recruiting, and the results have borne this out.

So yes, when Hunting Season opens, Iowa will be the first to fire

Its hard to determine how good Max is. His HS competition hasn't been all that impressive. Getting 5t at Gable Donnybrook and not placing at the Independence FS tourney is interesting.
He will need more money than Iowa will offer. Thinking may get better offer from program like UNI or SDST. Sadly, he may have better chance at breaking our upper weight lineup sooner than UNI if something doesn’t change soon. Still praying for Ferrari and his older brother. I think AJ would still be short term solution at 197, would probably use another national championship to improve his chances for big contract with WWE.

He will need more money than Iowa will offer. Thinking may get better offer from program like UNI or SDST. Sadly, he may have better chance at breaking our upper weight lineup sooner than UNI if something doesn’t change soon. Still praying for Ferrari and his older brother. I think AJ would still be short term solution at 197, would probably use another national championship to improve his chances for big contract with WWE.
I have to join with Iron Bird and ask ..who is EB and what did all of those other letters mean?? Am i missing gang symbols ?? I feel like the post wasn't referencing the Jets and the Sharks

Reactions: IRONBIRD
The transfer portal is just one avenue for building a team. Obviously RECRUITING has to be the 1st and foremost way to bring in kids. I think the "one free transfer" rule is a good one. Allows a kid to make a move, but does not allow it to become the wild west.

Not sure how it effects those who had entered the portal and transferred before the new rule was in place? I would assume that those kids burnt their 1 time?

Vallholl- ya lost me brother? I was good up till the Fwiw. Please help me out with the YDHTFM and who is EB? Thanks
YDHTFM - you didn’t hear this from me.

No idea on EB though

They should get transfers, I’m not saying they shouldn’t, but to rely on them is a fools errand.

Don’t get me wrong I’ll be cheering as loudly as the next fan when this years hypothetical top 5 197er decides to come to wear the black and gold. I’m just saying that Lugos, ADS’s, Eireman’s, and Woods’s don’t come around all that often. To expect them to come every year to fill recruiting gap holes leaves Iowa open to some not great possibilities.

The portal doors were wide open the past few years, with this change I’d expect to see less action. But no, this should not stop Iowa from fielding the best team possible and finding transfers. Though it may slow them a bit. I’m practicing caution till I see how this plays out.

What does “relying on it” even mean? You have to define it.

And it’s hogwash to say those guys don’t come up that often in the portal. Off the top of my head there have been many guys as good or better than that list who were in the portal in recent years: Suriano, Buchanan, Beard, Dean, Hildebrandt, Alvarez, Woodley, Griffith, etc.

Multiple guys at that level and above come up literally every year and with NIL it’s going to happen even more often, AND due to Iowa’s stature and resources we will continue to be a major player when they do come up.

But back to the point, not sure how one defines “relying” on the portal. Too vague of a take to have a meaningful debate over at this point.

And it’s hogwash to say those guys don’t come up that often in the portal. Off the top of my head there have been many guys as good or better than that list who were in the portal in recent years: Suriano, Buchanan, Beard, Dean, Hildebrandt, Alvarez, Woodley, Griffith, etc.

Multiple guys at that level and above come up literally every year and with NIL it’s going to happen even more often, AND due to Iowa’s stature and resources we will continue to be a major player when they do come up.

But back to the point, not sure how one defines “relying” on the portal. Too vague of a take to have a meaningful debate over at this point.
Doesn't mean they'll pop up at the weight you need. There's usually only a couple high level guys a year, and basically everybody is after them, so no guarantee they'll pick you.

And we've also seen several of them disappoint at their new school. Lamont and McNally the last two years at Wisconsin. Hildebrandt at PSU. Castro at Pitt.

I did define it. Relying on transfers to fill recruiting gaps or misses. Though, I thought that was self explanatory given the nature of the conversation at hand.

Also I don’t think you’re understanding the overarching idea that I’m getting at. Which is, the University of Iowa wrestling team shouldn’t have to fill holes as frequently as we have the last five or so years. As someone mentioned above 133 has been transfer heavy for quite awhile now. 197 is a hole next year that I’d rather not fill with Franklin just yet. I liked KY and love Cobe’s work ethic but we haven’t had a legit title contender at 157 since St. John.

To “define” my point. I’d rather have Iowa pick up their recruiting and supplement with transfers occasionally, rather than, getting a high end transfer every year to fill a hole they haven’t been able to successfully recruit. I just don’t think high end transfers are a sustainable solution, especially with the transfer rules beginning to tighten.

Doesn't mean they'll pop up at the weight you need. There's usually only a couple high level guys a year, and basically everybody is after them, so no guarantee they'll pick you.

And we've also seen several of them disappoint at their new school. Lamont and McNally the last two years at Wisconsin. Hildebrandt at PSU. Castro at Pitt.

Of course. They are human. Athletes acquired by other means can disappoint, too.

Reactions: Gobblin
I did define it. Relying on transfers to fill recruiting gaps or misses. Though, I thought that was self explanatory given the nature of the conversation at hand.

Also I don’t think you’re understanding the overarching idea that I’m getting at. Which is, the University of Iowa wrestling team shouldn’t have to fill holes as frequently as we have the last five or so years. As someone mentioned above 133 has been transfer heavy for quite awhile now. 197 is a hole next year that I’d rather not fill with Franklin just yet. I liked KY and love Cobe’s work ethic but we haven’t had a legit title contender at 157 since St. John.

To “define” my point. I’d rather have Iowa pick up their recruiting and supplement with transfers occasionally, rather than, getting a high end transfer every year to fill a hole they haven’t been able to successfully recruit. I just don’t think high end transfers are a sustainable solution, especially with the transfer rules beginning to tighten.

This explained it a little better. Though I sense we are probably actually not far off in our opinion, transfers should absolutely be utilized to fill recruiting gaps or misses. PSU does it. No reason Iowa shouldn't. That would actually put Iowa at a disadvantage. I call that "supplementing" which you allude to at the end of your post.

I doubt we see transfer rules tighten much. The toothpaste is already out of the tube.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
This explained it a little better. Though I sense we are probably actually not far off in our opinion, transfers should absolutely be utilized to fill recruiting gaps or misses. PSU does it. No reason Iowa shouldn't. That would actually put Iowa at a disadvantage. I call that "supplementing" which you allude to at the end of your post.

I doubt we see transfer rules tighten much. The toothpaste is already out of the tube.
I actually think Iowa has done better to this point than any other school in the country with the updated transfer rules. Did any team have nearly the production out of their transfers that Pat Lugo, Austin DeSanto and Jaydin Eierman had? Dean and Kerkvliet have been damn good for PSU but Kerkvliet hasn’t reached the finals and Dean has only had a year and a half or so, plus I don’t think he’s a finalist this year. Kerkvliet never even wrestled elsewhere so is he considered a transfer or just a recruit that hopped around before committing?

Reactions: IRONBIRD

A few years ago, some yardbird (and honestly, it might have been me) decided we were recruiting EB and the legend grew. I mean not grew like Brody Grothus but grew nonetheless. It was also amusing when one of our friends from the East would get annoyed and bothered by the reference to EB.

Carl
Best Friends Celebration GIF by Rainbow Six Siege

TnT
surprised hammer GIF
Evil

I have watched Casio all year. He has been absolutely terrible. Benched for a true freshman.

• Wow
Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT