141: Block - SO
149: Chittum - JR
157: Seibrecht/Riggins - SR/JR
165: PK - SR
174: Arnold - SO
184:
197: Franklin - JR
HWT: Kueter - SO

What is Iowa's plan for 184 in 24? Typically that would be in the incoming class. Then 133 & 184 in 2025 - 184 answered year before?

They should be looking to upgrade 133 immediately with a transfer this offseason and investing Jesuroga's money in one of the elite lightweight prospects to pair with Ayala. Riding with Teske/Schriever through 2025 is a failure. Not that those guys aren't allowed to make jumps, but they haven't been good enough to not bring in higher regarded competition.

We'll wait and see on Block. He didn't ascend to a high ranking until this year. Did he make a big jump or did his weight clear out? He's in that 20-40 mid range. We see guys pan out from there, but the hit rate is low. Cautiously optimistic. Hope to see him compete against some college competition in freestyle this summer.

Riggins is not a 157. I don't see him as a future starter unless he bulks into a 184. Does Cobe actually have 3 more years? This is his fourth year out of high school. Did he have a medical year somewhere? Even so, the track record for 7th year guys is rough. Need to start recruiting 157 as well unless Chittum is a 157. Then you need a 149.

184/197 are big problems (depite MSU's moaning about it). Franklin/Glazier would be lucky to qualify next year. Neither are long term answers imo. Maybe Franklin makes a jump? Either way, the staff is behind the 8-ball on those weights. It's unlikely they'll land 3 high level transfers in one year to cover 133/184/197.

285 is scary. You could have a monster or nothing. And it's hard to recruit with Kueter still as a possibility. Have to keep our fingers crossed.

What is Iowa's plan for 184 in 24? Typically that would be in the incoming class. Then 133 & 184 in 2025 - 184 answered year before?
2023/2024

125: Ayala - SO
133: Teske - SR
141: Woods - SR
149: Chittum - FR/Cobe - JR/Rathjen - SO
157: Seibrecht - JR/Chittum - FR/Riggins - FR
165: PK - SO
174: Brands - SR/Swafford - SR/Arnold - tFR
184: Assad - SR
197: Glazer/Franklin - SR/FR
HWT: Cass - SR

Portal at 197, other weights?

2024/2025
125: HALP!
133: Ayala - JR/Schriever - SR
141: Block - FR
149: Chittum - SO/Cobe - SR/Rathjen - JR
157: Seibrecht - SR/Chittum - SO/
165: PK - JR
184: HALP! (Riggins -SO)
197: Franklin - SO
HWT: Kueter - rFR/Hill - SO
Portal at 184, 125/133/197?

2025/2026

125: ?
133: Ayala - SR
149: Rathjen - SR?
157: Chittum - JR
174: Arnold - JR
184: Riggins - JR?
197: Franklin - JR?
HWT: Kueter - SO/Hill - JR

So many recruiting issues that haven't been figured out yet. Portal guys like Woods don't grow on trees. We have to be landing 24/25 nd 25/26 lineup guys NOW!

They should be looking to upgrade 133 immediately with a transfer this offseason and investing Jesuroga's money in one of the elite lightweight prospects to pair with Ayala. Riding with Teske/Schriever through 2025 is a failure. Not that those guys aren't allowed to make jumps, but they haven't been good enough to not bring in higher regarded competition.

We'll wait and see on Block. He didn't ascend to a high ranking until this year. Did he make a big jump or did his weight clear out? He's in that 20-40 mid range. We see guys pan out from there, but the hit rate is low. Cautiously optimistic. Hope to see him compete against some college competition in freestyle this summer.

Riggins is not a 157. I don't see him as a future starter unless he bulks into a 184. Does Cobe actually have 3 more years? This is his fourth year out of high school. Did he have a medical year somewhere? Even so, the track record for 7th year guys is rough. Need to start recruiting 157 as well unless Chittum is a 157. Then you need a 149.

184/197 are big problems (depite MSU's moaning about it). Franklin/Glazier would be lucky to qualify next year. Neither are long term answers imo. Maybe Franklin makes a jump? Either way, the staff is behind the 8-ball on those weights. It's unlikely they'll land 3 high level transfers in one year to cover 133/184/197.

285 is scary. You could have a monster or nothing. And it's hard to recruit with Kueter still as a possibility. Have to keep our fingers crossed.
Pretty good although I would not consider 133 an immediate need. Yes if you could find an upgrade that would be great, But Teske and Schriever aren't chop liver out their. I am with you on everything else especially 197 and heavy.

If you look at your 23/24 line up. It is pretty salty! You add a hammer at 197(who that could possibly be I have no idea?) I believe IOWA becomes the favorites.
Gabe Arnold has talked about going next year. Nelson Brands is tough but I could see Arnold taking over 174 starting next year.
I hope Brands is back and give Arnold a year to progress.
2023/2024

149: Chittum - FR/Cobe - JR/Rathjen - SO
157: Seibrecht - JR/Chittum - FR/Riggins - FR
174: Brands - SR/Swafford - SR/Arnold - tFR
HWT: Cass -

2024/2025
125: HALP!
133: Ayala - JR/Schriever - SR
149: Chittum - SO/Cobe - SR/Rathjen - JR
157: Seibrecht - SR/Chittum - SO/
184: HALP! (Riggins -SO)
HWT: Kueter - rFR/Hill - SO
Portal at 184, 125/133/197?

2025/2026

125: ?
133: Ayala - SR
149: Rathjen - SR?
157: Chittum - JR
174: Arnold - JR
184: Riggins - JR?
197: Franklin - JR?
HWT: Kueter - SO/Hill - JR

So many recruiting issues that haven't been figured out yet. Portal guys like Woods don't grow on trees. We have to be landing 24/25 nd 25/26 lineup guys NOW!
Yep they need to be bringing in a steady flow of hammers!

Reactions: TarpHawk
Carl
Best Friends Celebration GIF by Rainbow Six Siege

TnT
surprised hammer GIF

I hope Riggins bulks up and takes over 184 in 24/25. Think he has the skill set but maybe lacks a little athleticism which won't likely hold him back as much at 84 as it might at 74.
Glazier gonna surprise us at 97 is my bold prediction.
That is the boldest of predictions about Glazier. He lost to Franklin at SS and struggled in a loss to #28 ranked NW 197.

Not a stretch to say he's not a point scorer in March.

Pretty good although I would not consider 133 an immediate need. Yes if you could find an upgrade that would be great, But Teske and Schriever aren't chop liver out their. I am with you on everything else especially 197 and heavy.

If you look at your 23/24 line up. It is pretty salty! You add a hammer at 197(who that could possibly be I have no idea?) I believe IOWA becomes the favorites.

I hope Brands is back and give Arnold a year to progress.

Teske and Schriever are not chopped liver but are they mid to high AA level? Anything below mid to high AA really doesn't do much for team scoring. We haven't been getting the number of finalists needed to carry too many weights not scoring much.

That is the boldest of predictions about Glazier. He lost to Franklin at SS and struggled in a loss to #28 ranked NW 197.

Not a stretch to say he's not a point scorer in March.
Just a hunch based on a scouting report going back to his high school days. He's a late bloomer who's moved up a ton of weight classes and I think he's still adjusting to a 197lb frame. I actually like Franklin a lot too so I think we're better off at 197 going forward than some may think.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Just a hunch based on a scouting report going back to his high school days. He's a late bloomer who's moved up a ton of weight classes and I think he's still adjusting to a 197lb frame. I actually like Franklin a lot too so I think we're better off at 197 going forward than some may think.
Glazier won state as a senior at 182, so essentially one weight class below what he’s at now. He’s also always wrestled 197 in college. He’s adjusting to that weight change four years later?

To me Franklin gives everything he has in his matches, but the offensive skillset isn’t there. I’m not seeing how his style translates to being a point scorer at NCAA’s. Would love to be wrong. Seems like a great kid.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Teske and Schriever are not chopped liver but are they mid to high AA level? Anything below mid to high AA really doesn't do much for team scoring. We haven't been getting the number of finalists needed to carry too many weights not scoring much.
Yes mid to high/champions at every weight would be something, but maybe not too realistic? With the 23/24 possible lineup. we would have those type of guys at 125, 141, 149, 165, and heavy. that leaves what I would think as good possibility of AAing at 133, 157, 174, 184.

That is without too much homer glasses. I believe that puts us in the title race as of right now. I also feel 197 is a key weight for us and the F*** guys. Whoever can fill it best might swing a title their way. Also. Brands and Assad have shown signs that they can get to that higher level. If they can remain injury free, I can see them as possible top 4 type guys.

Now Cobe jump levels, lets see how he finishes. Can one of our current 197 guys do the same as code next year? Does a Woods type transfer appear out of nowhere? Will be all fun to see how it turns out?

Some of you have alluded to this, and I've been pushing it for the past 5 years --- the PSU approach of spending their recruiting efforts and concerns on guys who have a high probability of being finalists in March, THAT'S where it's at!! I couldn't care less about qualifying the whole team for NCAAs or having a bunch of low level AAs --- PSU has won most of their championships with a large number of finalists, not a large number of AAs. Guys that place 6-8 just don't add many points, and will make a difference only in tight races (which doesn't happen that often). Getting 4-5 guys in each year's lineup who have a really good chance at the finals should be our primary concern. So...the recruits that I'm interested in are guys like Ayala, Arnold, Kennedy and Chittum (the loss of Jesuroga, and possiblity of Kueter never wrestling, REALLY hurts, because both could have won numerous titles).

Yes mid to high/champions at every weight would be something, but maybe not too realistic? With the 23/24 possible lineup. we would have those type of guys at 125, 141, 149, 165, and heavy. that leaves what I would think as good possibility of AAing at 133, 157, 174, 184.

That is without too much homer glasses. I believe that puts us in the title race as of right now. I also feel 197 is a key weight for us and the F*** guys. Whoever can fill it best might swing a title their way. Also. Brands and Assad have shown signs that they can get to that higher level. If they can remain injury free, I can see them as possible top 4 type guys.

Now Cobe jump levels, lets see how he finishes. Can one of our current 197 guys do the same as code next year? Does a Woods type transfer appear out of nowhere? Will be all fun to see how it turns out?

Bird... I love you. Neither Brands or Assad have shown they can place top 4. Brands is already thinking retirement and Assad is Assad.

The one thing we're ALL going to have to get over? This possibility that guys will stay "healthy" - Tom still hasn't figured it out and I don't think he will. It's like saying we should have 2 titles. Well. We don't and that's 100% on the coaching staff for not figuring out how to keep guys healthy. It's getting ridiculous to continue to defend the staff on this issue.

• Wow
Bird... I love you. Neither Brands or Assad have shown they can place top 4. Brands is already thinking retirement and Assad is Assad.

The one thing we're ALL going to have to get over? This possibility that guys will stay "healthy" - Tom still hasn't figured it out and I don't think he will. It's like saying we should have 2 titles. Well. We don't and that's 100% on the coaching staff for not figuring out how to keep guys healthy. It's getting ridiculous to continue to defend the staff on this issue.
TY, I appreciate the love. Where is the Brands retirement stuff coming from? I have not seen or heard anything from him on this and again, it would totally blow my mind if he walked away! That being said. I can see him possible AAing this year. He is very hard to score on, can get out from bottom, and has shown good conditioning. The knock obviously is the lack of scoring which keeps many matches too close and one slip up can cost ya.

Another year of work, and time to get healthy, not seeing why he could not be a top 4 guy? Assad is even better and has shown when healthy he can be ranked right in the AA range. No reason to think he can not AA this year, and again, another year to get better and get healthy!

I will agree that something is not right with our training. Maybe too much live, maybe going too long year round, maybe incorrect off-season workouts??? Not exactly sure but years ago it was brought up and I said then that EVERYTHING should be looked at.

That is ALL the training, ALL the recovery work going on if any? Nutrition, weight cutting, weight training, EVERYTHING. Still wondering if our new facility will really be state of the art, or just bigger, prettier, and full of BS lounges and crap? Will there be a Sauna, steam room, top notch recovery equipment. Will there be a new weight room, what equipment will be brought in? Once I see all this, I will know if someone is really on the ball, or if it is just someone signing off on crap!

Reactions: vhsalum
I know a couple years away but thoughts on Max Magayna for a recruit for 184? Other recruits for that weight or portal options?

Gabe Arnold has talked about going next year. Nelson Brands is tough but I could see Arnold taking over 174 starting next year.
Arnold almost certainly will not beat out Brands. Even if he does, and the competition is neck and neck Son&Nephew is not missing out on his senior year.

• Haha
Reactions: snotknockerhawk
Some of you have alluded to this, and I've been pushing it for the past 5 years --- the PSU approach of spending their recruiting efforts and concerns on guys who have a high probability of being finalists in March, THAT'S where it's at!! I couldn't care less about qualifying the whole team for NCAAs or having a bunch of low level AAs --- PSU has won most of their championships with a large number of finalists, not a large number of AAs. Guys that place 6-8 just don't add many points, and will make a difference only in tight races (which doesn't happen that often). Getting 4-5 guys in each year's lineup who have a really good chance at the finals should be our primary concern. So...the recruits that I'm interested in are guys like Ayala, Arnold, Kennedy and Chittum (the loss of Jesuroga, and possiblity of Kueter never wrestling, REALLY hurts, because both could have won numerous titles).
Having five hammers that you can count on to be in the finals is worth around 100 team points at least. Going into a tournament with that advantage is like having one hand on the title from the start. And that's the enviable position Penn State has been in for a while, unfortunately.

Glazier won state as a senior at 182, so essentially one weight class below what he’s at now. He’s also always wrestled 197 in college. He’s adjusting to that weight change four years later?

To me Franklin gives everything he has in his matches, but the offensive skillset isn’t there. I’m not seeing how his style translates to being a point scorer at NCAA’s. Would love to be wrong. Seems like a great kid.
128 as high school freshman and a minimal weight cutting at 182 up to 197 in college is a big bump. We'll see but 197 is a grown ass man weight class and it takes guys who came in undersized a bit longer.

128 as high school freshman and a minimal weight cutting at 182 up to 197 in college is a big bump. We'll see but 197 is a grown ass man weight class and it takes guys who came in undersized a bit longer.
His weight as a freshman in highschool is literally not relevant to his current situation. He looked like he had some potential his first year or so but hasn't seemed to progress. He has looked under powered at 197 and we haven't been exactly loaded at 184 but he hasn't given that a go. He at least was more active at tournaments this year getting matches and had an impressive win over Voelker but lost to Franklin and didn't wrestle especially well losing to the journeyman 197 for Northwestern. Maybe he hasn't been completely invested due to being behind Warner and has another gear but it's like the old saying about doing the job you want before getting promoted.

His weight as a freshman in highschool is literally not relevant to his current situation. He looked like he had some potential his first year or so but hasn't seemed to progress. He has looked under powered at 197 and we haven't been exactly loaded at 184 but he hasn't given that a go. He at least was more active at tournaments this year getting matches and had an impressive win over Voelker but lost to Franklin and didn't wrestle especially well losing to the journeyman 197 for Northwestern. Maybe he hasn't been completely invested due to being behind Warner and has another gear but it's like the old saying about doing the job you want before getting promoted.
[/QUOT7
I don't know how going from 128, to 152, to 170, to 182 and now 197 isn't relevant. That's a big body change in 4-5 years and you don't see jumps that significant all that often. Anyway, it's fun to debate and occasionally envision some surprises like this would be. Admittedly I'm still mentally time warped into the Gable Era when guys like Glazier would blossom and be title threats as upper classmen...

[/QUOT7
I don't know how going from 128, to 152, to 170, to 182 and now 197 isn't relevant. That's a big body change in 4-5 years and you don't see jumps that significant all that often. Anyway, it's fun to debate and occasionally envision some surprises like this would be. Admittedly I'm still mentally time warped into the Gable Era when guys like Glazier would blossom and be title threats as upper classmen...
It isn't relevant because it was a long time ago. He has been full grown for a while now. If he is too small for 197 he either needs to hit the weight room or go 184.

Reactions: js8793
Tom and Terry have been doing a great job on hitting up the transfer portal the last 5 or so years. Hopefully we get another big impact transfer or two. Desanto, Eierman, and Woods have all worked out well for us!
The portal has been very good so far for us. Just not seeing any future possibilities right now that would meet a need for us? I understand that now is not the primetime as far as when a kid will enter, but does anyone see even remote possibilities? Would love to hear some names if anyone has any?

Seems we, the fans, have gotten into a routine of the mindset of “if this happens and we have some solid runs and some of their guys take losses, who knows. We could make it competitive”
I see the writing on the wall, unfortunately.
Iowas recent class have potential all time studs…..but, it’s not enough. We have to get more ammo in bigger calibers. We need more studs if we want to control our own destiny and not hope psu guys falter, cause it’s not been happening, unfortunately.
Loss of jesuroga and Kueter being a two sport hurts. (Yes, having our stud heavy playing two sports for 4 years will affect his performance) Those are our bookend guys.

The portal has been very good so far for us. Just not seeing any future possibilities right now that would meet a need for us? I understand that now is not the primetime as far as when a kid will enter, but does anyone see even remote possibilities? Would love to hear some names if anyone has any?
Honest question, was Woods expected to hit the portal at this time last year?

Reactions: Valholl
2023/2024
149: Chittum - FR
157: Seibrecht/Riggins - SO/FR
174: Brands - SR
HWT: Cass - SR

2024/2025
125: Ayala - JR
133: Schriever - SR
149: Chittum - SO
157: Seibrecht/Riggins - JR/SO
174: Arnold - FR
184:
HWT: Kueter - FR
Portal at 184?

2025/2026
125: Ayala - SR
133:
149: Chittum - JR
157: Seibrecht/Riggins - SR/JR
184:
197: Franklin - JR
HWT: Kueter - SO

I think we may be overlooking Rathjen at 149.

[/QUOT7
yes you are.

he’s been at 197 for four years. you’re being ridiculous.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I think we may be overlooking Rathjen at 149.
I think he has potential at 149 if Chittum goes 157. He has shown potential but it's unknown if he can evolve into a meaningful point scorer. A big issue is he was hurt with a knee last season and then injury defaulted at an open tournament a couple weeks ago. He could be on the shelf again for all we know.

I think he has potential at 149 if Chittum goes 157. He has shown potential but it's unknown if he can evolve into a meaningful point scorer. A big issue is he was hurt with a knee last season and then injury defaulted at an open tournament a couple weeks ago. He could be on the shelf again for all we know.
I think Chittum gets whichever weight he and the coaches want (149 or 157) and Siebrecht, Rathjen, et al fight it out for the other weight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT