ADVERTISEMENT

Gomez

Good to kick tires and cover bases. If he wants to come, great. Talented kid who would add to the room. But that said, not an upgrade for us and he has chronic concussion issues.

"Hey, Jaydin, we know you were an NCAA runner-up and want another shot at a title, but we need you to make room for a non-AA whose last college match was losing by MD to ADS in 2019 at 133. Cool?"

What if they see him as the heir to Eierman after next year? He has 3 years left and if in his old form is better than anything on the roster currently behind Eierman.

I think it's a long shot, but it's never bad to have more talent in the room. If nothing else, you remove a dangerous landmine for one of our guys in March. If it goes to plan, you have an AA quality bridge at 141 between Eierman and whichever youngster rises to the top from the recent classes.

On paper, a junior with one or two more years (?) coming back to him due to injury. Likely used as a bridge between the old guys and the newbies. Could see bringing in to compete for 33 or 41. Also, maybe they did talk to him and it was strategically leaked to generate more interest and $$ for him. Worried about the concussion but the kid had one shot at NCAAs and was rd of 12....our coaches can do better.

On paper, a junior with one or two more years (?) coming back to him due to injury. Likely used as a bridge between the old guys and the newbies. Could see bringing in to compete for 33 or 41. Also, maybe they did talk to him and it was strategically leaked to generate more interest and $$ for him. Worried about the concussion but the kid had one shot at NCAAs and was rd of 12....our coaches can do better.
And he pinned RBY!

What if they see him as the heir to Eierman after next year? He has 3 years left and if in his old form is better than anything on the roster currently behind Eierman.

I think it's a long shot, but it's never bad to have more talent in the room. If nothing else, you remove a dangerous landmine for one of our guys in March. If it goes to plan, you have an AA quality bridge at 141 between Eierman and whichever youngster rises to the top from the recent classes.
I do agree with that. If the plan is not for 2022 but for 2023...a bridge between Eirman and Henson...

He has 3 years left according to himself.
Hes a multiple age group world team member and was R12 as a freshman with wins over multiple AAs. He was a top 10 overall recruit in his class.

If you are a coach and don’t at least reach out to someone with that kind of talent, you’re not doing your job.

I don’t think anyone has said they’re offering a full ride or anything, but you have to kick the tires.

Sounded like he was a bigger fan off the bar scene in Lames than he was of the wrestling room. I don't think Iowa City would be the spot for him.
Sounded like he was a bigger fan off the bar scene in Lames than he was of the wrestling room. I don't think Iowa City would be the spot for him.
Do you blame him? Their wrestling team is horrible!

Iowa’s medical staff will never clear him to wrestle. No school should ever clear him to wrestle again.

But hector will shop him around until he finds one that will and that’s just sad.

Super talented kid who knows a shit ton about wrestling but needs to be a coach now, not a competitor

I believe Austin's career has been mismanaged and that he has always cut too much weight. I have watched the kid wrestle since he was 8-years old. If properly coached, managed and in the right room with partners to push him, I think he can be a hammer and top 3 type of guy. I truly do. He was a shell of himself at ISU and that is probably a shared responsibility, but again, if he finds his focus and gets at the right weight and that's not 133--I think he can be tough. Can he beat Eireman--no. Eireman is a stud and should win NCAA's if Yianni move up and could beat Yianni on any given day, but if something would happen to Eireman, then I would love to have Austin in our room.

Last edited:
What are you lol about? I would take Murin everyday of the week over Gomez. Cyclone fans are sad sacks of shit
Gomez is a far superior wrestler, and it’s really not close.

Murin doesn’t have the injury history, so he’s more of a know what you’re going to get. I wouldn’t recommend getting rid of Murin no way, no how.

but if you can get Gomez health cleared he is undoubtedly an upgrade on the mat.

Reactions: shobart
Gomez is a far superior wrestler, and it’s really not close.

Murin doesn’t have the injury history, so he’s more of a know what you’re going to get. I wouldn’t recommend getting rid of Murin no way, no how.

but if you can get Gomez health cleared he is undoubtedly an upgrade on the mat.

But you just can't ignore the rest. Major injury and weight management issues; hasn't wrestled since 2019. Give me Murin 10/10 times (but there's certainly a spot for Gomez in the room).

Last edited:
But you just can't ignore the rest. Major injury and weight management issues; hasn't wrestled since 2019. Give me Murin 10/10 times (but there's certainly a spot for Gomez in the room).
So your telling us there is a spot for Austin Gomez on the bench and commitment coming soon?

That’s what I said. Just an LOL at the guy who said Gomez is not an upgrade. He’s a definite upgrade if you can get him on the mat. But you definitely have to factor that stuff in. I for sure wouldn’t be giving him a dime in scholarship.

That’s what I said. Just an LOL at the guy who said Gomez is not an upgrade. He’s a definite upgrade if you can get him on the mat. But you definitely have to factor that stuff in. I for sure wouldn’t be giving him a dime in scholarship.
This, for the price you mentioned it would be worth the risk but you can't risk $$$ for a guy who medically might not see the mat. Save $$$ for Garvin, Mendez etc.

There's only one guy from ISU that arrived after Dresser got the job that would be an upgrade over what the Hawks have.
Hint...initials are DC.

He is not an upgrade in 2021. Not at all

As someone whose first post on this was supportive, I definitely disagree with "definite" upgrade. All of Gomez's good results are down at 133, a weight he can no longer make.

At 141, his results are two non-competitive wrestle off losses to Ian Parker, who is a similar, though less successful guy at 141 as Murin is at 149. He also hasn't competed in an official ncaa match in 2 years. His last official competition, he went 0-1 at 65 kg at 2020 senior nationals getting teched by Jaden Abas in the first round before forfeiting out.

Was Gomez better than Murin in 2019? Sure, but that was 2 years ago. In those 2 years, Murin has gotten a lot better and Gomez hasn't won a wrestling match and retired due to concussions. It's highly unlikely he's the same guy coming back. He's a guy you take a flier on because of the upside, but you should not be doling out significant resources with the idea that he'll be a reliable point scorer.

As someone whose first post on this was supportive, I definitely disagree with "definite" upgrade. All of Gomez's good results are down at 133, a weight he can no longer make.

At 141, his results are two non-competitive wrestle off losses to Ian Parker, who is a similar, though less successful guy at 141 as Murin is at 149. He also hasn't competed in an official ncaa match in 2 years. His last official competition, he went 0-1 at 65 kg at 2020 senior nationals getting teched by Jaden Abas in the first round before forfeiting out.

Was Gomez better than Murin in 2019? Sure, but that was 2 years ago. In those 2 years, Murin has gotten a lot better and Gomez hasn't won a wrestling match and retired due to concussions. It's highly unlikely he's the same guy coming back. He's a guy you take a flier on because of the upside, but you should not be doling out significant resources with the idea that he'll be a reliable point scorer.
Agree with this. Have him call up his rich uncle, walk on for no money, and let the cards fall where they may.

I don’t know about that...his results are inconsistent dependent on big moves. Is he the guy who pinned RBY and beat Desanto or is he the guy that got teched by Earneste, pinned by Cefalo and majored by Desanto. I’m willing to say those are likely freshman wt management issues etc but you can’t say he is a definite upgrade over Max. Wouldn’t mind seeing though.

Gomez is a like a 20-year-old Ferrari that's been in an accident and hasn't been driven in 2 years. If your job is to manage a fleet of high-performance cars, your eyes kind of light up thinking how you could bring it back to glory, but you also can't put too much time or money into it at the expense of the rest of your fleet.

(Not to de-personalize Gomez, either. He's got his own motivations.)

Last edited:
Make Gomez a 149 until/if Reyna improves in the 22/23 season. Put him in a better workout partner situation and see if he holds up.

This could be a low risk/high reward situation if there isn't big $$$ involved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT