ADVERTISEMENT

Gopher Grades

I watched a podcast he was on and he mentioned he wanted to “win a couple national titles before going to the NFL”. Realistically, he’s going to have a hard time hanging with those bigger Heavies at his current size. If he wants to win a national title he’s gotta put on some good weight. I can’t recall a national champ on the small side in recent memory. The 8 AAs from last year were Mason Paris, Kerk, Hendrickson, Cass, Davidson, Elam, Cohlton Schultz and Trent Hilger. They all have 1 thing in common, they are huge men. Cass dropped weight and struggled. Keuters athleticism will certainly help him, but he’ll be limited at his current size.
Kyle Snyder

There are plenty of big dudes with great gas tanks. Check out the bout between Andrew Davidson and the Cuban. They were both well conditioned and huge. Also not so long ago they were both 197lbers.
I believe what he is saying is bulking up, while trying to get into wrestling condition, is polar opposites! BIG bens problem if you want to call it that? Is, what are the goals? What is the short and long term plans?

Looking ahead to next football season. He needs to add say 20 pounds. Right now, IF he plans on wrestling this season? He needs to get into top wrestling condition. This will delay his strength training and bulking up. NO way to bulk up during wrestling outside of MAJOR PEDs!!!

Ben IF he wrestles, would then be behind in terms of Football, and honestly, being already behind in wrestling. It makes no sense to go this year. IF I was his coaches, and our dad, I would tell him to drill and improve skills on wrestling team, while going full bore in weight room looking to get to a least 250.

I do not believe he is of AA caliber this year and I do not think any points he might add will help IOWA come NCAAs. Next year Ben could re-evalute where he is at for both sports. Will he be a full time starter on the football team. Does he have NEXT level ability?

That would seem to then answer what he should be focusing on and what the wrestling team will need to do as far as heavy? While we would all like to see him wrestling, and have some dreams of him doing both sports. I just do not see it happening!

Reactions: OptionalStart
I believe what he is saying is bulking up, while trying to get into wrestling condition, is polar opposites! BIG bens problem if you want to call it that? Is, what are the goals? What is the short and long term plans?

Looking ahead to next football season. He needs to add say 20 pounds. Right now, IF he plans on wrestling this season? He needs to get into top wrestling condition. This will delay his strength training and bulking up. NO way to bulk up during wrestling outside of MAJOR PEDs!!!

Ben IF he wrestles, would then be behind in terms of Football, and honestly, being already behind in wrestling. It makes no sense to go this year. IF I was his coaches, and our dad, I would tell him to drill and improve skills on wrestling team, while going full bore in weight room looking to get to a least 250.

I do not believe he is of AA caliber this year and I do not think any points he might add will help IOWA come NCAAs. Next year Ben could re-evalute where he is at for both sports. Will he be a full time starter on the football team. Does he have NEXT level ability?

That would seem to then answer what he should be focusing on and what the wrestling team will need to do as far as heavy? While we would all like to see him wrestling, and have some dreams of him doing both sports. I just do not see it happening!
I guess I’m greedy, I don’t anticipate having him more than 2-3 years. I ‘d love to see him compete as much as possible.

Kyle Snyder as well. One could argue Cassar too, he was 230-240ish iirc.

I believe Cassar was in the 220-230 range the year he won the title. His last MMA fight in October was as a Light Heavyweight, which has a 205lb limit.

Last edited:
125 Ayala #5 vs # 18 84 slow start gave up 1st td. wrestle a smart match after that

133 Petersen? UR vs 29 70 was aggressive had a tuff ride but no answer from feet, not sure why he got the call but not a great look for us at 133

141 Woods 1 vs 19 80 nice 1st TD no turns again from top? Kid looked BIG

149 Rathjen 12 vs 13 90 good scramble to get 1st td stayed on offense

157 Franek 2 vs 11 65 great 1st td then not much? bad loss!

165 Candy 7 vs 30 82 solid win slow start kid wrestled dirty with hands to face and head slaps. should have been hit again for technical!

174 Kennedy UR vs UR 88 yet another wrestler who came out slow tonight???nice reshot for 1st TD and a quick turn for 2 more end 1. wrestled stronger as match went on got major.

184 Riggins UR vs 10 give him the 83 kid is given it everything he can for the team!

197 Glazier 16 vs 24 89 Nice 1st TD smart match, sealed the deal AGAIN!!!

heavy BIG BEN!!!! UR vs 29 Honestly don't know how to score this. MAYBE a 100??? Kid went to the wall, then thru the wall as far as conditioning!!! Showed a TON of heart to dig out a reversal and WIN! Kid is still very lean. can still add 20-30-40 pounds to that frame!

NOTES: 1) do not know why I can not turn off the BOLD?????
2) Minny looked BIG at just about every weight!
3) we did not come out and look as good as we did against Nebby?
Classic let down match coming off big Nebby meet?
Also don't be stealing my bold font!;)

Franek seems like he's taking lessons from the Iowa football team in his approach; focus on defense and figure out how to eke out just enough offense to win. How will that translate to the post-season? I sure hope that it's a lot better than what happened with Iowa football.

Ben is tall and lean, actually I was expecting to see him a bit more bulked. He is 6'4" tall, all signs would point towards being a D end. Full feed 10-12k calories a day gallons of good milk and lift, keep the shirt and show up at 245-250 same time next season.
12,000 calories and day and gallons of milk= tremendous 💩 ing

Keuter looks to be a really small heavy. He’s obviously going to get better and his gas tank will improve, but as much heart, athleticism and skill as he has, he’s going to struggle against the big boys. Kerk, Davidson, Hendrickson, the Cuban and some of the other big men are a bad matchup for BK right now. He needs a good 15-20 pounds more to be able to put solid pressure on guys and not get bullied around the mat. I believed I read his lips when he said to Brands, “ I wrestled like sh*t” as he came off the mat. He’s going to get much, much better.
If he weren't in football do you think he could be a 197er?

Reactions: el dub
If he weren't in football do you think he could be a 197er?
I thought so his Jr year of HS. His Sr. year at 220, he certainly didn’t look like he had 23 pounds he could cut. His body fat is pretty low and likely has a really fast metabolism. Put another 15-20 pounds on him and he can be an absolute hammer at Hwt.

With Keuter and all the football hype, I would think he will have to make decisions his soph or junior year for nfl or not. Id have to believe wrestling will go out the window either way, maybe not. It is what it is and if he is better than Hill, just wrestle him. What are we afraid of, him losing some matches? Who cares, roll the dice and see what he can do in March for the time we have him.

I watched Hutmacher wrestle through his HS - he just plain dominated, and came out expecting to win this match as well. Kueter will put on muscle despite a little more limited off season. Just look at his frame. He will add muscle, build strength and dominate in future years, and even in most of his matches this season when his conditioning catches up to wrestling requirements. His reaction beginning from his standing up on the mat through his post match interview made it clear that he is going to do whatever it takes to be competitive with whoever he is on the mat against, even the big horses. When you look at his matches on the world stage he showed more speed and mobility, and I think that will be a key for his success.

I watched Hutmacher wrestle through his HS - he just plain dominated, and came out expecting to win this match as well. Kueter will put on muscle despite a little more limited off season. Just look at his frame. He will add muscle, build strength and dominate in future years, and even in most of his matches this season when his conditioning catches up to wrestling requirements. His reaction beginning from his standing up on the mat through his post match interview made it clear that he is going to do whatever it takes to be competitive with whoever he is on the mat against, even the big horses. When you look at his matches on the world stage he showed more speed and mobility, and I think that will be a key for his success.
A much bigger gas tank will certainly be a game changer, but in my opinion even then he's going to have a really tough time taking out the top 6 or 7 this year. That said, I'm just excited as hell to finally see him on the mat and if he's better than Hill in the room I want to continue seeing him on the mat. I want the best team on the mat each night and that includes Gabe. As the saying goes, "tomorrow is promise to no one;" I want to see the best we have now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT