ADVERTISEMENT

Grass experts

Wahawk56

HR Legend
Aug 31, 2004
How do I fix this? I'm in the QC in case you need to know for which seed to use.

hs6OOKF.jpg

Reactions: Chuck C
Don’t funnel your poop into the backyard

Reality I have no clue. I hire people.

Was hoping this would involve questions about which products to sample at the Milan dispensary. Unfortunately I'm no help with this handy shit. Best of luck with lawn OP. Also nice to see you here, seems like it's been a minute!

You can try to spring seed, but you'll have to baby it along, and deal with weeds. Ultimately, you'll have to seed again in the fall.

You're likely best off with a tall fescue blend. Usually pretty good element resistance, doesn't need a ton of water, and will typically be soft and lush.

Or as bearhawk said, just sod it and water the f*ck out of it all summer

You can try to spring seed, but you'll have to baby it along, and deal with weeds. Ultimately, you'll have to seed again in the fall.

You're likely best off with a tall fescue blend. Usually pretty good element resistance, doesn't need a ton of water, and will typically be soft and lush.

Or as bearhawk said, just sod it and water the f*ck out of it all summer

And if you're going to seed it, first rent an aerator to loosen up the soil a bit.

Then when you do seed, lightly till it into the soil with a stitcher/weasel like this one

Reactions: GOHOX69
How did it get so bad and what's the white stuff?

IMO, if you could have it sodded for $ 200 - 300 that would be the easiest and best route.

And if you're going to seed it, first rent an aerator to loosen up the soil a bit.

Then when you do seed, lightly till it into the soil with a stitcher/weasel like this one

Renting an aerator was the biggest waste of money when I realized I could hire it done for less.

Renting an aerator was the biggest waste of money when I realized I could hire it done for less.

I get 5+ neighbors to share one; we can rent for the daily (~$90) price for the whole weekend from one place. Ends up running $10-20 each, and you're able to really hit the lawn better than most of the services do. For many of those paid services, they only want to spend ~20 minutes on your lawn, which really doesn't do that great a job for the $50-75+ they charge you

Reactions: Ree4 and Car-go
I get 5+ neighbors to share one; we can rent for the daily (~$90) price for the whole weekend from one place. Ends up running $10-20 each, and you're able to really hit the lawn better than most of the services do. For many of those paid services, they only want to spend ~20 minutes on your lawn, which really doesn't do that great a job for the $50-75+ they charge you
Fair and I’m not super crazy about lawn care like some but Christ almighty those things are a giant PITA to use.

Fair and I’m not super crazy about lawn care like some but Christ almighty those things are a giant PITA to use.

Oh, they sure as shit are!!

It is not worth the $$ to pay the half day rental and DIY, as that's generally more than what the lawn service guys will charge you. But if you can split rental costs w/ a few neighbors, you can do a more thorough job.

I think it's SunBelt rentals out here that if you rent late Friday, they are closed on the weekend, so you can pay the 1-day rate for the whole weekend. Home Depot rents them, but you only get for the day - and I've had HD bitch about how clean the rentals are even after I've sprayed them w/ my pressure washer cleaner than when I picked them up...

Yeah....you're not really going to fix that lawn w/ 5 dogs, unless you really get it set in and regularly water it to keep the dog pee from killing it off. Those pee spots over-fertilize the areas, and the only real way to fix them is dilute. You can get some overspray that helps, but you gotta use it regularly.

Dogs are hell on lawns unless you irrigate the hell out of them...

That’s definitely an obstacle. It’s one thing to keep an established lawn nice with 5 dogs, trying to re-establish a lawn from scratch with 5 dogs is…a project.

I have a customer who has two hunting dogs, and we’ve re-sodded his 2,000 square foot fenced in back yard twice in the last five years.

As others have said, fix drainage issues. Buy a cool season grass mix. I’m going to be seeding 2 acres soon and bought grass seed today. Kentucky bluegrass, some perennial rye and fescue.

Reactions: Kelsers
St. Augustine grass would grow like a weed in that mud pit. The more water the better.

But it can't handle prolonged freezing temperatures. Sorry, Iowa.
It grows like shit in wet, poorly drained soil (like in the photo) because it gets take all root fungus, which kills off the stolons.

Also, heavy watering of St. Augustine will cause shallow roots which is okay if you like watering a lot, but if you stop and a dry spell hits, your lawn is going to get torched.

Ideally, you want to water it infrequently, but heavily when you do water it. It’ll grow deep roots, require less water overall and resist drought much better.

It grows like shit in wet, poorly drained soil (like in the photo) because it gets take all root fungus, which kills off the stolons.

Also, heavy watering of St. Augustine will cause shallow roots which is okay if you like watering a lot, but if you stop and a dry spell hits, your lawn is going to get torched.

Ideally, you want to water it infrequently, but heavily when you do water it. It’ll grow deep roots, require less water overall and resist drought much better.

Thanks, Mr. Know-It-All.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT