ADVERTISEMENT

Grothus & Turk

I don't doubt this at all. Their club has deep pockets and wants to win bad. I have heard stories of Cael pushing the boundaries in regards to reaching out to recruits before they are suppose to from very good sources, so I don't put him on any pedestal that is for sure.

I also saw a Tweet from Quentin Wright that makes me think he knows under the table stuff goes on.

Although this would be a hard pitch to give a kid and think you will keep them quiet about it. I mean if you miss on the kid and he goes elsewhere he is not going to keep that to himself.
Everyone who follows revenue sports knows under the table stuff goes on - inner city kids with nice cars on campus, etc.

I don't see how this could be legal. It sidesteps the whole point of the 9.9.
It's not legal - it's ridiculous. I can't believe I'm getting wound up about this.

The most iconic American wrestler since Gable comes to the success-starved heartland of high school wrestling, quickly has success, then more success, and, strangely, recruits flock to him.

Can't be that - has to be some cockamamie scheme that even the SEC hasn't thought of - the secret broken by message board hearsay.

Reactions: LHavenlion
It's not legal - it's ridiculous. I can't believe I'm getting wound up about this.

The most iconic American wrestler since Gable comes to the success-starved heartland of high school wrestling, quickly has success, then more success, and, strangely, recruits flock to him.

Can't be that - has to be some cockamamie scheme that even the SEC hasn't thought of - the secret broken by message board hearsay.
Oh I am sure the SEC has thought of this.

Or a former athlete. : D

What about tO$U's recruiting success? I stated in another thread that its quite possible that parents of current wrestlers are making a concerted effort to help fund PSU's success by paying the way of their kids so that other talent can use the scholly money...that and academic scholarships. I have heard that the current crop of PSU kids have some well-heeled parents...wouldn't it be cool for your kid to part of a championship team under Cael Sanderson?

Personally, I'd rather pluck my pubic hair one by one than to go to PSU but results don't lie. They (and tOSU) are getting the top shelf talent and there is no way that Cael could do it under the table in a community as small as ours without it leaking out. How does Brands and Iowa fight this? Go out there and wrestle to win individual titles and team trophies. Tom would agree with me.

What we know about Cael

1. He is extremely selfish and will try to win at all costs, even to the detriment of young men and the sport. An example would be Andrew Long.

2. He is vindictive and has poor morals. An example would be Bubba Jenkins

3. He cares about himself much more than he cares about the sport of wrestling. An example would be putting the curtain up to keep wrestling fans out of the arena.

4. He runs from a fight. An example would be him running out of Iowa because he couldn't beat Brands.

5. He has no morals or conscience. An example would be him backstabbing his former college coach and than leaving his alma mater high and dry.

Would someone with is character flaws cheat? Heck ya he would

If I didn't love Terry so much I would like him to go coach Pitt and run Cael to some other place he can continue to be scum.

Last edited:
Lenox that was a horrible post. You have never even met Cael I'm sure. What's the point of even saying such things? Yikes man

What we know about Cael

1. He is extremely selfish and will try to win at all costs, even to the detriment of young men and the sport. An example would be Andrew Long.

3. He cares about himself much more than he cares about the sport of wrestling. An example would be putting the curtain up to keep wrestling fans out of the arena.

4. He runs from a fight. An example would be him running out of Iowa because he couldn't beat Brands.

5. He has no morals or conscience. An example would be him backstabbing his former college coach and than leaving his alma mater high and dry.

If I didn't love Terry so much I would like him to go coach Pitt and run Cael to some other place he can continue to be scum.
LOL! Man I love this stuff!

so......to get this thread back on track....... since Turk is already a legend, does he deserve a nickname yet, or do we have to wait a few years?

What we know about Cael

Bruh...

What about tO$U's recruiting success? I stated in another thread that its quite possible that parents of current wrestlers are making a concerted effort to help fund PSU's success by paying the way of their kids so that other talent can use the scholly money...that and academic scholarships. I have heard that the current crop of PSU kids have some well-heeled parents...wouldn't it be cool for your kid to part of a championship team under Cael Sanderson?

Personally, I'd rather pluck my pubic hair one by one than to go to PSU but results don't lie. They (and tOSU) are getting the top shelf talent and there is no way that Cael could do it under the table in a community as small as ours without it leaking out. How does Brands and Iowa fight this? Go out there and wrestle to win individual titles and team trophies. Tom would agree with me.
Get Metcalf and Ramos on staff and fight fire with fire.

Nah I'm a Hawk fan Mr. I respect Cael that's all. You are just full of hate and jealously. And comments like that are why this site is called a dumpster fire elsewhere. Carry on, I guess
I'm not jealous and I sure don't hate the guy, but I don't respect him. We can also add in the Penn State community. They covered up child rape for years in the name of winning. To each their own, but I will never respect a school or community that does that. I don't hate them or wish them ill will either.

Whejoe we should wait on the nickname until after he wins a title.

Wrestling practice is brutal and not fun. I think that kids think that TnT are no fun and will work them to death. They're just afraid to put in the work that it takes to wrestle at Iowa and beyond. We all know it's not like that, but I think that's the unwarranted reputation Iowa has. You're going to be pushed beyond your comfort zone wherever you are in college.

I can't think of any other reason you wouldn't want to wrestle under the freestyle coach of the year and Gable disciples. Hand fighting gods. Oh, and the best fan base in the country...and it's not even close.

Reactions: Huck and lenoxhawks
Only Communists don't like dodgeball :D
That is true. We used to play dodgeball while jumping on a trampoline (the REAL kind - the big black and green rectangular ones, you could really sky on those things!). 2 guys jumping, 2 guys on either side of the trampoline, dodgeballs or volleyballs (whatever was available depending on who showed up!). Had a designated distance marked in the yard that you had to stay behind to throw. You hit someone jumping, you got to go up. Great times indeed! Not one broken arm, broken leg, broken neck, etc. Just kids having a grand old time! Hard to believe without wearing helmets and shin guards and bubble wrap.......................;)

Keeping with the non Communist Dodgeball, Gable used to let them play Dodgeball in the room back in the 80s. Who the hell do you think the movie line, "If you can dodge a wrench...." came from? Gable was Zen like that.

Reactions: Huck
That is true. We used to play dodgeball while jumping on a trampoline (the REAL kind - the big black and green rectangular ones, you could really sky on those things!). 2 guys jumping, 2 guys on either side of the trampoline, dodgeballs or volleyballs (whatever was available depending on who showed up!). Had a designated distance marked in the yard that you had to stay behind to throw. You hit someone jumping, you got to go up. Great times indeed! Not one broken arm, broken leg, broken neck, etc. Just kids having a grand old time! Hard to believe without wearing helmets and shin guards and bubble wrap.......................;)
Awesome. We had a variant of Dodgeball called Medic Bombardment played on a bball court. You could have a set number of lives but a designated medic would have to drag you over the end line to give you new life. If your medic was hit, he was out and people had no new lives. When a medic came out he was guarded like crazy by the other team members.

Our crazy gym teacher was a Korean War vet and taught us the game.

Reactions: cment and andegre
Almost every wrestling club plays dodgeball. Sebolt plays slapback, which is much more extreme. It gets the kids used to being verbally abused by him at tournaments.

Reactions: sloehawk
What we know about Cael

I'm not jealous and I sure don't hate the guy, but I don't respect him. We can also add in the Penn State community. They covered up child rape for years in the name of winning. To each their own, but I will never respect a school or community that does that. I don't hate them or wish them ill will either.

Whejoe we should wait on the nickname until after he wins a title.

Agree to disagree on Cael. In my book he's a good guy, a phenomenal talent and an excellent coach who has done exactly what Penn State hoped he'd do when they hired him, which is reinvigorate the program and keep PA kids in-state. He's done that and more.

Also agree to disagree on the Penn State community. They're a passionate fan base and they have something to be passionate about. Branding them as supporters of child rape was tired and played out 5 years ago.

But it's good that you don't wish them ill will.

Ya the penn st fan base seemed to be out of sorts during the whole tape ordeal...with that being said I actually enjoy Bael. He is/was a huge reason why we still have the same nationals format.

so......to get this thread back on track....... since Turk is already a legend, does he deserve a nickname yet, or do we have to wait a few years?

Kelly and Grothus were true freshmen heroes long before Turk and to my knowledge neither have/had a nickname.

Reactions: TailgateTom
What we know about Cael

Boo Lenox, this sounds the ignorant rants that other boards talk about the Brands Bros. I'm not a fan of PSU in the least (I'd rather tOSU, Okie St, Minnie, Iowa St or anywhere else win than them) but not respecting/recognizing what Cael Sanderson and his family have done for the sport of wrestling is just plain wrong. The dude went 159-0 in college and won a World and Olympic title. He clearly has a gift for coaching ( his style is imprinted all over Ruth and Taylor). He's probably made some decisions as head coach that he wishes he hadn't made, but neither of us were privy to those decisions, so it's pretty poor taste to make moral judgments on him. Dumpster Fire indeed!

Agree to disagree on Cael. In my book he's a good guy, a phenomenal talent and an excellent coach who has done exactly what Penn State hoped he'd do when they hired him, which is reinvigorate the program and keep PA kids in-state. He's done that and more.

Also agree to disagree on the Penn State community. They're a passionate fan base and they have something to be passionate about. Branding them as supporters of child rape was tired and played out 5 years ago.

But it's good that you don't wish them ill will.

I guess I am not quite able to call Cael a good guy. He has certainly done some things that I would question as being a good moral person, but I don't know him and am unable to make that call. Guess the jury is still out on him from my perspective. And what is up with Q's tweet? Implying that some wrestling programs cheat wrt paying off college debt after they graduate - talking about PSU??

No doubt that Cael was a tremendous wrestler and has increased interest in wrestling. Is he doing it the moral and fair way?? Don't know, but I wouldn't be so quick to definitively say yes. As mentioned, the Long affair was just wrong from the start and with little oversight, went the way you might expect.

As far as the PSU community, the vast majority of fans, administration, etc. get a full pass on the pedophile thing, but there are certainly a few there that are fully responsible and a general win at all cost philosophy that I certainly wouldn't condone. Hope to heck that that would not be tolerated at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT