ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks line up next season

Overall reaction to this look at next year's lineup is a big sigh. Looks like more of the same: too many holes, too many fringe AAs. Cali to 157 to make room for PK at 165 sounds like a fantasy. Ayala needs to stay at 125 because there's no one else there. Schriever is unlikely to AA. Block is a giant question mark, can't count on anything there. Rathjen and VV are fringe. Cobe is fringe. Brands at 184 is not ideal but probably okay. Glazier at 197 is fringe. Hill at 285 is fringe, and can't count on Kueter. I see 4 AAs, no spot for PK or Angelo, another 5th place finish, and probably the end of the road for Tom.

Did we really win NCAAs just 3 years ago? The sky has turned dark very quickly. I think this will be the tipping point--if we haven't already passed it.

Brands is toast if they don't hit the portal hard and bring in sure-fire All Americans.
Terrell Barraclough is another name to consider who might be hitting the portal this year if he can hold 157 for next year (and neither Caliendo nor PK can make that weight). He was certified at 157 and was the official backup at PSU for 157, 165, and 174. He was needed most often at 174 when Starocci was sick, and won a match against Turley at 174 after weighing in at 161. His only losses on the season were 2-1 to Griffith at 174 and 8-5 to Mesenbrink at 165 in the Black Knight tournament. He had a good US Open as well, making the quarters before losing a close one to Facundo.

In the limited action we saw of him this year, he looked the part of an AA, but between Haines, Mesenbrink, Facundo, and Ryder, he doesn't have a spot at PSU, but he is plenty good enough to give it a shot somewhere else if that's what he wants. I think the feeling is that ASU is probably his most likely landing spot, but he'd certainly have to consider Iowa if that were an option.

Terrell Barraclough is another name to consider who might be hitting the portal this year if he can hold 157 for next year (and neither Caliendo nor PK can make that weight). He was certified at 157 and was the official backup at PSU for 157, 165, and 174. He was needed most often at 174 when Starocci was sick, and won a match against Turley at 174 after weighing in at 161. His only losses on the season were 2-1 to Griffith at 174 and 8-5 to Mesenbrink at 165 in the Black Knight tournament. He had a good US Open as well, making the quarters before losing a close one to Facundo.

In the limited action we saw of him this year, he looked the part of an AA, but between Haines, Mesenbrink, Facundo, and Ryder, he doesn't have a spot at PSU, but he is plenty good enough to give it a shot somewhere else if that's what he wants. I think the feeling is that ASU is probably his most likely landing spot, but he'd certainly have to consider Iowa if that were an option.
I would bet not to many Nit's leave PSU for Iowa..

Connor McGonagle is in the portal at 133. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to give him a look.
Heard he was a strong lean to…
sorting harry potter GIF

I would welcome this guy but I doubt he would make 133lbs lets hope he chooses Iowa in the Transfer Portal.
Conor Mcgregor Mma GIF by UFC

All day and night long. He’s got time to bulk up but I’m not seeing the move up smart
There are plenty of guys that struggle at a weight with power and finishing then let themselves grow and do fine up a weight. I know nothing about how tough a cut it is for him but he’s listed at 5’6” and seeing his face on tv he looks sucked all the time. Could be good mentally when you’re not worried about making weight. His injured shoulder might like sone more muscle too. Possibly contributed to McDonough’s injury being shrunk for so long

There are plenty of guys that struggle at a weight with power and finishing then let themselves grow and do fine up a weight. I know nothing about how tough a cut it is for him but he’s listed at 5’6” and seeing his face on tv he looks sucked all the time. Could be good mentally when you’re not worried about making weight. His injured shoulder might like sone more muscle too. Possibly contributed to McDonough’s injury being shrunk for so long
I get that, hate for the hawks to have a solid 125 moved up it not work. Could leave 2 decent weights instead of just filling the 33 need.

Reactions: el dub
125 Ayala
133 Petersen/Schriever
141 Block
149 Siebrecht/Rathjen/Voinovich
157 Caliendo
165 Kennedy
174 Arnold
184 Brands
197 Glazier
285 Kueter
*Pending transfer portal. If Caliendo/PK can not make 157 slide COBE up to 157 and PK backs up 65/74.

125 Ayala
133 Petersen/Schriever
141 Block
149 Siebrecht/Rathjen/Voinovich
157 Caliendo
165 Kennedy
174 Arnold
184 Brands
197 Glazier
285 Kueter
*Pending transfer portal. If Caliendo/PK can not make 157 slide COBE up to 157 and PK backs up 65/74.
I'm hoping for 2-4 transfers coming in. I get this lineup you posted, but that isn't good for #2 after Penn State. Maybe top 5 if we're lucky.

The 2 older Ferrari’s????

Vine Wtf GIF
Welcome to the cesspool.

They’ll be housed in the GrayBar dorms. They’ll need passes to get out to compete and a judge’s order allowing them to travel out of state with the team, but I heard there’s a lifting program that’s top notch.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Welcome to the cesspool.

They’ll be housed in the GrayBar dorms. They’ll need passes to get out to compete and a judge’s order allowing them to travel out of state with the team, but I heard there’s a lifting program that’s top notch.
It's like some who still want the Ferraris don't even recognize what that circus show did to Brands' reputation inside the administration. Are the Ferraris even in the room these days, or have they been kicked out?

It's like some who still want the Ferraris don't even recognize what that circus show did to Brands' reputation inside the administration. Are the Ferraris even in the room these days, or have they been kicked out?
They have never been part of Tom’s team. They both wrestled unattached at the salute. Our coaches have no responsibility for unattached wrestlers not on their team.

They have never been part of Tom’s team. They both wrestled unattached at the salute. Our coaches have no responsibility for unattached wrestlers not on their team.
Maybe they weren’t officially apart of the team but everyone knew they were trying to work their way on to the team and I’m pretty sure if I wanted to stroll into the room and start rolling on the mats and lifting I’d be kicked out pretty damn fast. If Tom didn’t want them on the team he never would’ve allowed them in the door in the first place. It was a bad look for the program any way you want to slice it.

Maybe they weren’t officially apart of the team but everyone knew they were trying to work their way on to the team and I’m pretty sure if I wanted to stroll into the room and start rolling on the mats and lifting I’d be kicked out pretty damn fast. If Tom didn’t want them on the team he never would’ve allowed them in the door in the first place. It was a bad look for the program any way you want to slice it.
Don’t think they have been totally kicked to the curb. Both have been in Florida most of the winter, but Anthony made trip back not too long ago, and looked like he worked out in the room, so they haven’t taken access away. AJ kept working out in the room until after the Purdue meet, when he started making money running camps and training mma in Florida mostly. So even after the salute they didn’t take his access to facilities away. Makes me think Brands has kept the door open alittle for both if they want it bad enough. Not sure if AJ is smart enough to take advantage of this amazing opportunity, because he is delusional about his MMA career. He needs to have a fight and get knocked the **** out by an opponent of the quality you have to beat to make any money in MMA.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
i would be surprised if there are any portal additions. maybe a 125 or 133 depending on what weight drake goes but that is it.

Don’t think they have been totally kicked to the curb. Both have been in Florida most of the winter, but Anthony made trip back not too long ago, and looked like he worked out in the room, so they haven’t taken access away. AJ kept working out in the room until after the Purdue meet, when he started making money running camps and training mma in Florida mostly. So even after the salute they didn’t take his access to facilities away. Makes me think Brands has kept the door open alittle for both if they want it bad enough. Not sure if AJ is smart enough to take advantage of this amazing opportunity, because he is delusional about his MMA career. He needs to have a fight and get knocked the **** out by an opponent of the quality you have to beat to make any money in MMA.
Honest question. What 'line in the sand" being crossed would make you do a hard NO on the two older Ferraris?

Last edited:
Dan Dennis was in AJ corner for SS. That would not be the case without Tom's approval.

125: Ayala for 1 more year 2nd left a bad taste in his mouth
133: Transfer
141: Transfer
149: Block he will be better than you think
157: Cali
165: PK
174: Gabe if Nelson comes back he will be here and Gabe will be gone. Similar situation as why he is in Iowa and not at psu
184: maybe Ferrari or transfer
197: Glazier
Hwt: combo of Hill/Kueter
Kueter needs to decide one way or the other. It really messes with the lineup. If we wanted to go get another top notch heavy no way he comes here because of it.

174: Gabe if Nelson comes back he will be here and Gabe will be gone. Similar situation as why he is in Iowa and not at psu
Kueter needs to decide one way or the other. It really messes with the lineup. If we wanted to go get another top notch heavy no way he comes here because of it.
Don’t u think if they thought Nelson was likely to get a med rs they just wrestle gave this year? Too bad for PK but he made his bed. And Nelson is registered to wrestle at 86kg for the last chance which might indicate he’s filled out 184.

No possible way they risk losing Gabe and his 4 years just to slot Nelson in for one year. I’m not sure Nelson could beat Gabe anyways. If Nelson gets this redshirt he better start bulking up to 84. The coaches better have this all planned out so we aren’t trying to figure out who our 74 lber is a week before big tens next year and wrestling an undersized guy at 84.

that would be par for the course if Gabe left because Brands came back. Now that that seed has been planted I fully expect it to happen. Can't help it.

Don’t u think if they thought Nelson was likely to get a med rs they just wrestle gave this year? Too bad for PK but he made his bed. And Nelson is registered to wrestle at 86kg for the last chance which might indicate he’s filled out 184.
That went through my head also, but he doesn't really have a choice, because 74 kg would be a monster cut for him. I do believe he will wrestle 184 next year if he gets a medical year.

Reactions: eb05 and savage84
We should note this "trip back" is him *allegedly* fleeing the state after assaulting and robbing his friend's father.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT