ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks line up next season

I wonder if at one point the plan was for Gabe to go 174 this year, but after he sustained his injury during the season they decided on the redshirt.

Block, Petersen, and Gabe all injured first year on campus. The trend continues unfortunately.

125: Ayala for 1 more year 2nd left a bad taste in his mouth
133: Transfer
141: Transfer
149: Block he will be better than you think
157: Cali
165: PK
174: Gabe if Nelson comes back he will be here and Gabe will be gone. Similar situation as why he is in Iowa and not at psu
184: maybe Ferrari or transfer
197: Glazier
Hwt: combo of Hill/Kueter
Kueter needs to decide one way or the other. It really messes with the lineup. If we wanted to go get another top notch heavy no way he comes here because of it.
You think Nelson beats Gabe after he’s been in the room for a year and NB has been out? I’m not sure I’m buying what you’re selling.

It's like some who still want the Ferraris don't even recognize what that circus show did to Brands' reputation inside the administration. Are the Ferraris even in the room these days, or have they been kicked out?
THIS.

You think Nelson beats Gabe after he’s been in the room for a year and NB has been out? I’m not sure I’m buying what you’re selling.

Nelson ain’t left the room. And he handles Gabe (he’s also bigger)

There's no way in hell that will happen. Nelson could stall his way to an AA if he's lucky. Gabe is a title contender. There is like a 2% chance Nelson could beat him in a wrestle-off, which won't happen anyway because after losing Jesuroga to burnout and Chittum to the Ferrari fiasco, there is no way TnT will risk losing Gabe to anything.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
There's no way in hell that will happen. Nelson could stall his way to an AA if he's lucky. Gabe is a title contender. There is like a 2% chance Nelson could beat him in a wrestle-off, which won't happen anyway because after losing Jesuroga to burnout and Chittum to the Ferrari fiasco, there is no way TnT will risk losing Gabe to anything.
Seems like you’re selling Nelson short. He ended last season strong after coming off his accident. Beat Plott, Ruth, 2-1 decision to Starocci who was mauling everybody till his injury. I think he would have had a big year

125: Drake
133: ????
141: Block/transfer
149: Block/Rathjen/VV
157: MC (only by choice) or transfer
165: MC or PK if MC goes 157
174: Gabe
184: Brands / AF for 5
285: Kueter / Hill to start

Iowa needs to hit the portal hard for about 3 guys between 133-157. They also need to hit the recruiting trail hard for a 141, 157, and 197 for 25/26 season.

The Keuter being a two sport athlete thing needs to stop. He was healthy and didn't even see the field last year on special teams. If he was that good he could have played in 4 games on special teams and retain his redshirt. He received absolutely zero snaps. Iowa returns their starting linebackers this year so he'll rarely see the field outside of special teams and injuries to the starters maybe. So two years in with little or no playing time for a guy a lot of people think will be a pro. Not saying it won't happen but Iowa's also recruited well at linebacker and he's going to really have to improve and jump over several other quality guys to see the field.

I just hope he doesn't piss away his chance at being fairly dominant in wrestling while buried on the football teams depth chart and wrestling two months a year. I hope he proves people wrong on the football side but ask Brody Becht how better he got when he gave up his football dream to focus on Baseball 100% of the time.
Not sure how it changes things, but I would think his future should be at DE. It still shocks me that he was weighing in below 230. Pretty sure he was weighing around 220 in hs.

125: Drake
133: ????
141: Block/transfer
149: Block/Rathjen/VV
157: MC (only by choice) or transfer
165: MC or PK if MC goes 157
174: Gabe
184: Brands / AF for 5
285: Kueter / Hill to start

Iowa needs to hit the portal hard for about 3 guys between 133-157. They also need to hit the recruiting trail hard for a 141, 157, and 197 for 25/26 season.
How many points? I add up to maybe 110.

Not sure how it changes things, but I would think his future should be at DE. It still shocks me that he was weighing in below 230. Pretty sure he was weighing around 220 in hs.
I thought his future was DE after watching him in HS. The Iowa coaches know more than me obviously. KF moves guys pretty quickly when he sees something. So maybe he's not a DL.

I don't see him cracking the LB 2 deeps this year with the unit they have.

If they’re both at 174?

1. Nelson is bigger. And he beats Gabe. IF Nelson wrestled 174, he'd likely beat Gabe in a wrestle-off. Now who would do better in competition is a different question.

TnT have made more than a few bad decisions recently. It wouldn’t surprise me if they “rewarded” Nelson with that spot for hanging out another year.

They ain't messing this up. They need points.

125: Ayala for 1 more year 2nd left a bad taste in his mouth
133: Transfer
141: Transfer
149: Block he will be better than you think
157: Cali
165: PK
174: Gabe if Nelson comes back he will be here and Gabe will be gone. Similar situation as why he is in Iowa and not at psu
184: maybe Ferrari or transfer
Hwt: combo of Hill/Kueter
Kueter needs to decide one way or the other. It really messes with the lineup. If we wanted to go get another top notch heavy no way he comes here because of it.

If they slot Nelson in over Gabe they need let go instantly! First off I don’t think Nelson could beat Gabe on a regular basis for sure. Second why would you ever risk losing a four year all American so you get one year with Nelson. Nelson got caught up in the gambling thing on his own. Gabe should not have to sit or move because of Nelson doing something he shouldn’t have been doing. Brands are supposed to be the coaches who teach right from wrong. That would be a shitty example of doing that.

Reactions: tosal563
125: 24
157: 20 (MC)
165: 10 (PK at his right weight)
174: 20
184: 20
285: 10

That’s 104 if everything went right. Now admittedly, everything hasn’t gone right in quite some time.
No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

My Projected 2024/25 roster with team points
125 Ayala 22pts(Top 3)
133 Petersen/Schriever 3pts(Rd12ish)
141 Block 5pts(8th place)
149 Siebrecht/Rathjen/Voinovich 5pts(8th place)
157 Caliendo 18pts(Top 3)
165 Kennedy 10pts(4th-6th)
174 Arnold 20pts(Top 3)
184 Brands 16pts(2nd-6th)
197 Glazier 6pts(6th-8th)
285 Kueter 10pts(4th-7th)
Total=115 deduct 10% for homerism=103.5. There you have it, we score 103.5 points next year. 2nd place finish.

I wonder if at one point the plan was for Gabe to go 174 this year, but after he sustained his injury during the season they decided on the redshirt.

Block, Petersen, and Gabe all injured first year on campus. The trend continues unfortunately.
Gabe was injured at SS, Block before even being on campus

Reactions: savage84
125 Ayala 22pts(Top 3)
174 Arnold 20pts(Top 3)
Total=115 deduct 10% for homerism=103.5. There you have it, we score 103.5 points next year. 2nd place finish.
9 AA’s. Noice.

Reactions: TarpHawk
125 Ayala 22pts(Top 3)
174 Arnold 20pts(Top 3)
That's fairly reasonable with that lineup. I think 133 will by more like NQ 1-2 than R12, 149 will be very fortunate to AA, and Brands is probably closer to the 6th end of his range than 2nd, especially at 184, but 90-100 points and 2nd place is not unreasonable with that lineup. There is also a big question whether Block can make 141 and Caliendo 157, and also whether Brands will be back at all or not. If those issues don't work out, you'll have to take a little more off the total as well (unless someone like Saldate comes in to take 157).

9 AA’s. Noice.
I think its rosey. Love to eat crow.

125 - All top 16 are back but 1 - Craziest weight all year. Best case scenario.

133 - 3 of top 16 gone - Rd 12/16 guys Nagao, Bouzakis, Latona - would love to be surprised.

141 - 1 Round of 12 guy gone (Real) - RFr, not Top 10 recruit, coming off of ACL?

149 - 4 of Top 24 are gone - Without additions, needs to find wins somewhere

157 - If cut allows - Sounds like Mess, Teemer, Shapiro will be here?

165 - I'm probably one of the crazy ones, but I think 174 was better for him. Anyone quick kills him, so I don't see 165 going better for him. Hope I'm wrong. Haines, Garvin, Hall, Taylor returning AAs assuming Haines goes up as rumored. Hamiti, Ramirez round of 12.

174 - Way to early and love Gabe. However, he isn't showing high level offense. Amazing defense for sure. Look at an elite freshman like Shapiro, who can attack and scramble from everywhere, finished 3rd (different weight).
Can Gabe duplicate that? If every match in March comes down to one shot or OT, that's playing with fire. Welsh 2nd as Fr, which Gabe has wins against I believe, so I understand the reasoning. O'toole, Welsch, Star if he comes back,

184 - Sure. Keckeisen, Plott, Munoz, Berge, Salazar, TJ Stewart, Key AAs returning - Only PSU not returning, but will reload. Foca, Pinto rd12

197 - He went 0-2, with his two losses not placing and getting 7th. The only person he beat in R12 was Allred, who didn't place. 4 guys in Top 16 are gone next year. Loved his story this year and his dedication to staying at Iowa. But not seeing it.

Hwt - Maybe - Kerk, Hendrickson, Feldman, Schultz (how?), Slavikouski, Ghadiali AA's back. Catcka/Bastida Rd12

Last edited:
There’s more holes in next years lineup than a block of Swiss cheese. 125 is locked up, wherever Cali wants to go he goes, and 174 Arnold off of this years performances. Honestly the rest are wide open.
Relying on VV, Peterson, CS, Rathjen, Pk, even glazier and you’re looking at getting smoked overall. Jury is out on BK to see what strides he can make, lots going on for him this year. Wrestling 1/3 to 1/2 a season just seems very hard to rely on. Too much speculation on guys making a jump from r12, 1-2 at ncaas to being solid AA.
There is more holes in your head then a block Havarti

• Haha
Reactions: Inthecircle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT