ADVERTISEMENT

Height/Weight off season discussion

ebdad

Team MVP
Dec 15, 2011
This was triggered by some to the recent discussions on future lineups. Several comments have been made that Drake Ayala is "small" at 125 lbs. My impression from watching his matches is that he is slender but not small in the sense of height. Looking at the roster he is listed at 5'6" which strikes me as fairly tall for that weight. It doesn't seem to me that he can pack on a lot of muscle and still be at 125. I am not looking to reignite the debate about his ideal future weight class but it got me thinking about what might be the ideal height range for the various weight classes. There is clearly a trade off of leverage/reach versus power and while there are plenty of examples of successful wrestlers at the extremes there must be a range that is "optimal" for each weight. What think you?

If we use Matt McD as a guide, I think Ayala could still put on some muscle mass and maintain 125 Although His frame would most certainly support the move up to 133 by the time SL is done. He definitely needs more HP, his loses to McKee were mostly do to the strength difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobblin and NCHawk5
If we use Matt McD as a guide, I think Ayala could still put on some muscle mass and maintain 125. His frame would most certainly support the move up to 133 by the time SL is done. He definitely needs more HP, his loses to McKee were mostly do to the strength difference.
Matt was one of the ones I was thinking of that had success at the extreme of height/weight. Lugo might be an example at the other end of the spectrum. Tall guys can have an advantage in reach and leverage that you would expect to show up in the top position mostly. Shorter guys and be hard to ride or shoot on. I was impressed that Lugo became fairly decent on top in spite of short arms.

I agree that Ayala may have some pretty good success at 125 because he is slick and quick but I am skeptical that he can add the horsepower without adding the weight. He doesn't look like he has a lot of fat to convert to muscle while maintaining 125.

Matt was one of the ones I was thinking of that had success at the extreme of height/weight. Lugo might be an example at the other end of the spectrum. Tall guys can have an advantage in reach and leverage that you would expect to show up in the top position mostly. Shorter guys and be hard to ride or shoot on. I was impressed that Lugo became fairly decent on top in spite of short arms.

I agree that Ayala may have some pretty good success at 125 because he is slick and quick but I am skeptical that he can add the horsepower without adding the weight. He doesn't look like he has a lot of fat to convert to muscle while maintaining 125.
I think Drake can still be leaner and stronger at 125, he is so young and that college strength is not there yet. I do agree that there is not much room to work with before he may have to jump to 133.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT