ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane season has arrived....

There was already a large area of storms and rainfall in that area but when Helene moved up that way it became a disaster.

There was already a large area of storms and rainfall in that area but when Helene moved up that way it became a disaster.
That gif I posted a few days of the 3 day rain forecast ended up being accurate for Tallahassee, but their models didn’t account some kind of interaction with the hurricane and the mountains.
I tend to snapshot and post static, but I hotlinked that one and it has been updated so I can’t see what they had forecast in NC/TN.

Reactions: goldmom
The “Uber rich” typically have no mortgages on these enormous properties and they also tend to self-insure so any damage is a cost they’re willing to risk and absorb. The property taxes on these estates are already in the six figures, even in “low tax” Florida.
I’m not defending them in any way but “thems the facts” as they say.
That is not correct. At all.

He posted yesterday that he was waiting to get back to his place but was being blocked by the police.
Madeira beach and treasure Island are still blocked. No immediate plans to allow entry. It's pretty bewildering to me that people are barred from their homes. I've got a timeshare on treasure Island so it's only my home for one week a year, but it's still a second home to us and all these places you see are like our second neighborhood. It must be maddening to someone who actually lives there year round or has their own possessions there and have no idea what the status is. I'm in some Facebook groups in the area (one of which is where the treasure Island videos in this thread are from) and the complete unknown status of peoples places, pets, and even relatives is bewildering in a metro area. People pleading with those still on the island and posting on the Facebook groups to go do welfare checks on those things.

Also some shear god damn stupidity like should we cancel our vacation next week. Locals haven't been taking kindly to those types of questions....

From what I've seen if you have a truck or SUV you can get around just fine. Many posting pictures and videos from the other side of the road block are very angry they're not letting people come to check their homes. Biggest call seems to be for a curfew which I guess Ft Meyers did last year. Let people on but be gone before dark.

I know I have very little skin in the game but I have absolutely no idea what the status of our place is. The management still hasn't even been there according to this mornings post on the owners page.

One thing to note about treasure Island non locals don't know is that it actually is it's own sovereign city unlike the other places that are just townships in name only and thus get their services and ordinances from the county. Treasure Island has kept redevelopment to a minimum and has the most original 50's builds on barrier islands. The area is very low density mostly devoid of high rise development. All these old places weren't built with storm surge in mind and already were getting impossible to insure. The damage plus no longer being able to insure them at all after this means half the places there will get completely bulldozed after this regardless of damage and the quaint beach town feel will probably be gone forever when developers start slamming 12 story condo complexes and hundreds more people in every spot.

So what's Joe doing about this?

Bush took a lot of undeserved crap during Katrina.
Don't worry, Desantimonious has been nice to Biden, so help is on the way. Unlike when Newsom wasn't saying nice things about Trump, he and threatened to hold back recovery money from the wildfires.o_O

Reactions: funksouljon
I-40 washed out, and I believe I-26 is closed due to a rock slide. It is prone to that on the TE/NC line as it cuts through the mountains.
I assume there will be no Republican grandstanding about the federal government pitching in to restore these roads. I mean, they are important, unlike bridges in Lib states.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
So what's Joe doing about this?

Bush took a lot of undeserved crap during Katrina.
Do you read the thread you are posting in? You ask about Solar Hawk even after he's posted, and you wonder about the federal response after others have posted about the INITIAL federal response. It's like you try to look dumb sometimes.

3 storms in 13 months

When you go through the area on I-10 they finally got all the dead trees and foliage cleaned up. I can’t imagine what it looks like now but I’ll be driving through there next weekend to the game so it’ll be interesting to see.
There used to be solid woods in the median so that you didn’t even see the traffic going in the other direction, but now it’s open and groomed almost like some urban median. The trees were blown over like matchsticks and the road signs were contorted like large twist ties. They were all replaced and I bet they are going to be damaged again.

Spent the morning and early afternoon helping do some demo at a friend's house. He's on the Weeki Wachee river, the storm surge brought about 4 feet of water into the house. They had just put the finishing touches on the remodel caused by the storm surge 13 months ago; had been planning a housewarming party to celebrate, instead it turned into the shittiest housewarming party ever. All of the furnishings & appliances es on the ground floor are at the curb waiting for garbage disposal company to haul them off, along with the drywall & insulation from head-high down to the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT