ADVERTISEMENT

I think Fran walks away after this year

I agree with HawkHoops that there is essentially no chance that Fran would be removed from his position, although I disagree that there's solid grounds based on Fran's performance that shouldn't happen.

Fran will be done at Iowa after this season if he decides that he wants to be done.
Without going into extensive analysis, it would seem unlikely that a coach would walk away from guaranteed money who has no other reasonable similar coaching options.

Everyone is Writing off this season allready. We got 12 games to go and several winnable games left. At the start of the year I was hoping for a NIT bid and maybe a bubble NCAA team. They got work to do to even get talked about but its not over yet! I could easily see them win there next 5 games and if they go3-2 then its most likely over with. Final 6 games about as tough as they come.

Has she been in charge of the worst offense in college football for three seasons?!? Has she caused us to continually fall on our faces in the postseason by not playing our best players?!?
Which makes the issue job performance, and not nepotism. Thats my point in all these discussions. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Brian and James starting at center for Iowa, or when Brian was the OL coach. So why can't people concentrate on the actual issue instead of a tangent one? There is nothing wrong with kids playing for or coaching with their dads. In fact as I've pointed out here numerous times, its not only accepted practice it's the norm in both college football and basketball.

Which makes the issue job performance, and not nepotism. Thats my point in all these discussions. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Brian and James starting at center for Iowa, or when Brian was the OL coach. So why can't people concentrate on the actual issue instead of a tangent one? There is nothing wrong with kids playing for or coaching with their dads. In fact as I've pointed out here numerous times, it’s not only accepted practice it's the norm in both college football and basketball.
The nepotism leads to the job performance or athletic performance. Brian wouldn’t be allowed to coordinate this offense if he wasn’t given the job without earning it. Connor wouldn’t have been able to try and play two sports for as long as he did, at the level he did, if his dad wasn’t the basketball coach. There is nothing wrong until, they are treated differently to the detriment of the team, which has been happening in spades with Iowa football and basketball the past half decade.

Reactions: DewHawk
The nepotism leads to the job performance or athletic performance. Brian wouldn’t be allowed to coordinate this offense if he wasn’t given the job without earning it. Connor wouldn’t have been able to try and play two sports for as long as he did, at the level he did, if his dad wasn’t the basketball coach. There is nothing wrong until, they are treated differently to the detriment of the team, which has been happening in spades with Iowa football and basketball the past half decade.
In fact BOTH Cmac and Pmac were ligit D1 recruits, The issue is performance. As for playing two sports, that only happened for a little over one year, and he is most certainly not the only Iowa athlete to do so, none of them being children of a coach, so I'd say thats a moot point as well, because it DOES happen. Currently Ben Kueter. But hey, Danan Hughes, Tim Dwight, Brody Brecht, Mark Sindlinger, Jeremy Allen, Bashir Yamini to name a few say hi......I don't have an issue with Bluder either, but to me that just proves that the issue is performance. I mean she has kids on the staff, and we have a 4 year starter who is the Assoc head coaches niece. Doesn't matter because they are performing. Just as Barnes is as recruiting coord. for Kirk...

Last edited:
Reactions: tippet1
In fact BOTH Cmac and Pmac were ligit D1 recruits, The issue is performance. As for playing two sports, that only happened for a little over one year, and he is most certainly not the only Iowa athlete to do so, none of them being children of a coach, so I'd say thats a moot point as well, because it DOES happen. Currently Ben Kueter. But hey, Danan Hughes, Tim Dwight, Brody Brecht, Mark Sindlinger, Jeremy Allen, Bashir Yamini to name a few say hi......I don't have an issue with Bluder either, but to me that just proves that the issue is performance. I mean she has kids on the staff, and we have a 4 year starter who is the Assoc head coaches niece. Doesn't matter because they are performing. Just as Barnes is as recruiting coord. for Kirk...
Are you just being dense on purpose? He was on the baseball roster for four years.

Same. I lived and died for every game for decades. Now.. I'm glad if they win, but just shrug if they lose.
Growing up I’d watch Iowa on a 13” black and white tv with rabbit ears. Fuzzy picture but I didn’t miss many games. Wouldn’t go through that now.

100%.

The first year: "2 seed! Alright! Iowa should be the heavy favorite those first 2 rounds! Time for a good tournament run!" Blown out in the 2nd round.

The next year: The way Keegan and that team were playing heading into the dance, blowing through the Big 10 Tournament the way they did, 4 wins in 4 days, and looking good doing it. For me, that was the most exciting and potent Iowa team since the late 80s with BJ, Roy and Ed. We had that superstar that could carry us. Many folks were saying Iowa was under-seeded as a 5. Then they lay an egg in the first round.

I've been done with Fran since this all happened. I'm ready for change.
1,000,000% how I felt after that B1G Tourney Championship! I was thinking this is it Fran. This is your chance to actually rejuvenate the fanbase and I was even thinking at least an Elite 8 appearance that year but I'd "settle" for a Sweet 16. I also told myself repeatedly right before the tourney that Fran had to do something or he would lose me going forward and I thought it was a safe bet this time around. Keegan was too good but still, I'd been fooled by Fran on a few occasions prior. Hell, in my opinion, our bracket was the best for a good run. I was so excited for that tourney. I just knew that our team was actually and legitimately a dark horse contender and we had, who I thought, was probably the best all around player in college basketball. I totally thought we were underrated and would make a point to prove it.

Alas...I never really recovered from that.

Are you just being dense on purpose? He was on the baseball roster for four years.
My ass. And why are you pushing this so hard when its totally freakin meaningless. Who gives a shit. It has nothing to do with nepotism him playing two sports. I just gave you over a half dozen guys who played, (actually played) two sports while at Iowa. Hell Hughes played for the Brewers minor league club while he was still at Iowa. Saying that Cmac ONLY got to do that because of his Dad is not only totally false, its just stupid. Did Fran or Connor screw your dog or something, or are YOU just being dense?

My ass. And why are you pushing this so hard when its totally freakin meaningless. Who gives a shit. It has nothing to do with nepotism him playing two sports. I just gave you over a half dozen guys who played, (actually played) two sports while at Iowa. Hell Hughes played for the Brewers minor league club while he was still at Iowa. Saying that Cmac ONLY got to do that because of his Dad is not only totally false, its just stupid. Did Fran or Connor screw your dog or something, or are YOU just being dense?
You don’t know how big time athletics work. It’s all right. You aren’t going to be able to have the worst batting average as I recall on the team and also shoot the ball (not to mention defense and rebound) like Cmac did, and just keep playing both sports. It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️ Most of those guys you mentioned were studs in at least one sport, if not more.

The issue is CMAC and PMAC playing time, not whether they were worthy of a scholarship. Fran has played his two boys over better options in PT. No one sane can argue CMAC should have started over Keegan and yet Fran started CMAC every game Keegan's Freshman year. Kris didn't see any PT his Freshman year---reason is he would have flashed some of the same defensive skills that Keegan had and it would have been harder for Fran to justify starting CMAC and playing PMAC as Weiskamps backup.

If you don't have a problem with that type of Nepotism, that is your opinion and there are many others that see it that way. I see it as a huge character flaw in Fran---he's paid to maximiize wins and all the kids he recruits deserve PT based on merit, not DNA. I don't see KF or Fran as particularly ethical--they pushed ethical boundaries and were smug about it knowing Barta wasn't going to do anything.

Which makes the issue job performance, and not nepotism. Thats my point in all these discussions. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Brian and James starting at center for Iowa, or when Brian was the OL coach. So why can't people concentrate on the actual issue instead of a tangent one? There is nothing wrong with kids playing for or coaching with their dads. In fact as I've pointed out here numerous times, its not only accepted practice it's the norm in both college football and basketball.
But it crosses the line from job performance to nepotism when said performance is historically bad for multiple years in a row and no change is made.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
The issue is CMAC and PMAC playing time, not whether they were worthy of a scholarship. Fran has played his two boys over better options in PT. No one sane can argue CMAC should have started over Keegan and yet Fran started CMAC every game Keegan's Freshman year. Kris didn't see any PT his Freshman year---reason is he would have flashed some of the same defensive skills that Keegan had and it would have been harder for Fran to justify starting CMAC and playing PMAC as Weiskamps backup.

If you don't have a problem with that type of Nepotism, that is your opinion and there are many others that see it that way. I see it as a huge character flaw in Fran---he's paid to maximiize wins and all the kids he recruits deserve PT based on merit, not DNA. I don't see KF or Fran as particularly ethical--they pushed ethical boundaries and were smug about it knowing Barta wasn't going to do anything.
I agree with Pmac but not Cmac

Everyone is Writing off this season allready. We got 12 games to go and several winnable games left. At the start of the year I was hoping for a NIT bid and maybe a bubble NCAA team. They got work to do to even get talked about but its not over yet! I could easily see them win there next 5 games and if they go3-2 then its most likely over with. Final 6 games about as tough as they come.
This team is too inconsistent in all facets of the game from defensive, to 3 point shooting, to experience that is the heart of playing in the Big Ten.
I will be totally surprised if they even sniff the NIT, let alone get an NCAA bid.
Fran needs to go out and get a couple legit centers that are not under 6-11 and some athletic guards that can defend and provide scoring. If that means that Dix, Desonte, and Brock are recruited over, so be it, but that has not been Frans MO since the portal has existed. Love the 4 freshmen, but 3 of them have a lot of growing up between now and the beginning of next November and very little time to accomplish it.

Reactions: littlez
This team is too inconsistent in all facets of the game from defensive, to 3 point shooting, to experience that is the heart of playing in the Big Ten.
I will be totally surprised if they even sniff the NIT, let alone get an NCAA bid.
Fran needs to go out and get a couple legit centers that are not under 6-11 and some athletic guards that can defend and provide scoring. If that means that Dix, Desonte, and Brock are recruited over, so be it, but that has not been Frans MO since the portal has existed. Love the 4 freshmen, but 3 of them have a lot of growing up between now and the beginning of next November and very little time to accomplish it.
Agreed. Freeman is a beast. Dembele and Harding have tons of upside, but a lot of work to do. Pryce should head to UNI.

He’s done a good job but with the rapidly declining attendance, the fact he’s passed Dr Tom, and just the overall trajectory of the program I think he calls it quits. He also has to know the new AD won’t hesitate to make a move sooner rather than later.
Best you can say about Fran is he's done an okay job.

Fran couldn't find a impact player from the portal if his life depended on it. Krikke and Brauns, both have major issues and can't play defense. Having only 11 players on the roster is on Fran.
Point guards and actual centers win championships. Fran insists on recruiting 6-8, 6-9 forward and under sized centers and the results have resulted in the fan base turning against him as they fail to advance past the 1st week of the NCAA tournament.
This year is already a throw away year, but Fran will continue to play our ole' defensive veteran players the rest of the year like he always does.
Centers don't win championships in and quite frankly honestly traditional point guards don't win championships

Reactions: littlez
You don’t know how big time athletics work. It’s all right. You aren’t going to be able to have the worst batting average as I recall on the team and also shoot the ball (not to mention defense and rebound) like Cmac did, and just keep playing both sports. It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️ Most of those guys you mentioned were studs in at least one sport, if not more.
Probably part of the reason that Connor gave up playing baseball??? I do always love how people get on these boards and comment on what other people know or don't know because they disagree on their thoughts. Just a question, if Cmac was such a poor player why didn't the baseball coach boot him, or is he his Daddy too? I don't give me some BS that he owed it to Fran or something either......

Probably part of the reason that Connor gave up playing baseball??? I do always love how people get on these boards and comment on what other people know or don't know because they disagree on their thoughts. Just a question, if Cmac was such a poor player why didn't the baseball coach boot him, or is he his Daddy too? I don't give me some BS that he owed it to Fran or something either......
Why would Heller do anything?!? CMac wasn’t taking any baseball scholarship money. The one season he really played at all, he batted .238. He was just never going to play, which is fine. A completely different situation than starting over a top five lottery pick on the basketball court.

Yep. And don't give me the "oh, players will leave, if he goes".

Find the right guy and some will stay and theres the portal that coaches can QUICKLY get the guys they need to do what they ask.

I like the young guys, but Freeman is the only one that would REALLY suck to lose

Raveling was a great recruiter, but a mediocre in-game coach.
Fran is a horrible recruiter and below mediocre in game coach.

I’m not so sure about that behind the scenes. There’s nothing worse for a program than total fan apathy. We can say we sold 9-10K tickets last night but there were maybe 5-6 thousand fans there. Finish 7-13 and play the rest of the season in an arena 35% full there’s some financial decisions to be made. If we were playing to 45-50K at Kinnick every Saturday something would happen. We have no impact players on the court and none in the pipeline. We’re in some trouble here.
Fran is not liked by the fans. His family’s bad behavior at local high school games is cringeworthy and embarrassing for the University. Him and his wife need to go away. (And get some counseling)

Fran is a horrible recruiter and below mediocre in game coach.
I’ll give Fran credit for recruiting the 3 through 5 spots. I’m not sure if there is a better eye for talent in the Big Ten or country than Fran with those positions. I also don’t know how he has been so bad recruiting guards. I think even Marble was technically a Lickliter recruit. I think Tony is far and away Fran’s best guard he’s recruited in his tenure. I’m not sure anyone else is in the discussion. It’s been bad. Iowa guards can either shoot/score and can’t do anything else. Or they are athletic and can defend and create but cannot shoot/score.

1,000,000% how I felt after that B1G Tourney Championship! I was thinking this is it Fran. This is your chance to actually rejuvenate the fanbase and I was even thinking at least an Elite 8 appearance that year but I'd "settle" for a Sweet 16. I also told myself repeatedly right before the tourney that Fran had to do something or he would lose me going forward and I thought it was a safe bet this time around. Keegan was too good but still, I'd been fooled by Fran on a few occasions prior. Hell, in my opinion, our bracket was the best for a good run. I was so excited for that tourney. I just knew that our team was actually and legitimately a dark horse contender and we had, who I thought, was probably the best all around player in college basketball. I totally thought we were underrated and would make a point to prove it.

Alas...I never really recovered from that.
Imagine being me.....the first Iowa basketball team I followed was '69-70. I've know gut-punching season endings from the start!

Imagine being me.....the first Iowa basketball team I followed was '69-70. I've know gut-punching season endings from the start!

cf30a7d1-6816-4fc1-a00b-207efd6faaaa_text.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT