ADVERTISEMENT

If Oliver Martin gets immediate eligibility, is Iowa a legit top 20 Team

Stanley plays scared in close games, and over throws A LOT. last years ISU,Purdue and NW games were proof. Retrievers and TE's wide open and over thrown. He must develop for Iowa to win the west.

I would think decision comes out this week.

That's the timetable I've heard previously as well. I have a bad feeling that he won't be granted eligibility for this season though and most of the folks that cover Iowa have been saying the same.

When does Iowa ever catch a break that way?

I don’t think OM is a slot receiver. He’s more of an outside guy, from all I’ve read. He’d have to beat out ISM or Smith, but I’ve heard he’s been very impressive in summer workouts. Stanley did compare him to a bigger Nick Easley though, and he played in the slot, so who knows?
Martin is an inside (slot) receiver who has a diverse enough skill set that he can be moved outside upon occasion. He can "play big" in terms of good body control, route running and instincts (good at adjusting) in order to create separation one on one with corners. But he doesn't really have the length or speed to make that his primary position. At least that is what we heard while he was at Michigan.

As far as practice reports...we heard the same things. The guy was a practice dynamo who we (us fans) waited to breakout on gameday. It never really happened for for him. It seemed he was good at a lot of things but not quite great enough at one or two things that would have put him at the head of the line in terms of playing time.

My personal take is if you craft a role for him he can be an incredibly productive player for you. I actually hope he is because I never heard a single negative about him in terms of work ethic and attitude...he was always described as a great teammate....

Martin is an inside (slot) receiver who has a diverse enough skill set that he can be moved outside upon occasion. He can "play big" in terms of good body control, route running and instincts (good at adjusting) in order to create separation one on one with corners. But he doesn't really have the length or speed to make that his primary position. At least that is what we heard while he was at Michigan.

As far as practice reports...we heard the same things. The guy was a practice dynamo who we (us fans) waited to breakout on gameday. It never really happened for for him. It seemed he was good at a lot of things but not quite great enough at one or two things that would have put him at the head of the line in terms of playing time.

My personal take is if you craft a role for him he can be an incredibly productive player for you. I actually hope he is because I never heard a single negative about him in terms of work ethic and attitude...he was always described as a great teammate....

Awesome writeup, Michigan guy! Thanks for your thoughts. It’s a shame we’re still going to have to beat you in the Big House this October. Nothing personal, I promise you.

I imagine it was harder at Michigan with your stable of 4 star receivers for OM to find his niche. If we can get 50 catches a season from guys like Riley McCarron and Nick Easley, I think OM will see plenty of meaningful touches. The biggest obstacle is the NCAA at this point.

Last edited:
I think we’re considered a top 20 team without him no? With Martin, we have legit receiving talent at WR to go with our traditionally nation’s best TEs. If the defense remains nasty it could be one of those special seasons like 2015.
Let's just wait and see how he plays. if he's that good he probably would have played more in Michigan. Not saying I don't like the kid and happy to have him I just think realistic expectations needed

Golden, black, or chocolate?
Like you don't know!

images

Martin's eligibility won't effect the team much this year. It isn't like he is a all conference receiver.

Stanley plays scared in close games, and over throws A LOT. last years ISU,Purdue and NW games were proof. Retrievers and TE's wide open and over thrown. He must develop for Iowa to win the west.

Don't like the blanket statement. Rewatch the 2017 game at Ames against ISU. Was that scared Stanley coming from behind in a hostile environment and throwing 5 TDs?

That's the timetable I've heard previously as well. I have a bad feeling that he won't be granted eligibility for this season though and most of the folks that cover Iowa have been saying the same.

When does Iowa ever catch a break that way?

I don't think he will either. I think they should let a kid get in the 4 games at least. In a way sort of a compromise.

I agree.

If Kaevon Merriweather (or whomever starts at safety) is able to adequately fill-in for the departed Hooker (a big task) the Hawkeyes are legitimate top 20-25 team based on the strength of their defense alone.

Personally, I am anxious to see what Tyrone Tracy can do as a slot receiver, Ragaini also. Tracy looks like a dynamic playmaker. I believe Iowa will be fine whether or not Martin is eligible this year.

Iowa is a legitimate Top 20 team. Once you get past the top 8 teams or so, the separation between #12 and 35 in the country comes down to mostly breaks, injuries and schedule.

What to like about Iowa
Returning above-average QB. If he takes another step, biggest factor in the team being just good or really good.
Two potentially great tackles.
Experience at WR and RB.
Very good/great players at DE and safety (Epenesa and Stone)
Potential valid 6-8 man rotation on defensive line.
More size/athleticism in defensive backfield than Iowa has ever had.

Question marks

Interior of o-line
Big-play ability at RB
Inexperience at TE
Playmakers at LB

Martin would help if he is eligible. But anything Iowa would get from him this year would be a bonus.

You were wrong when you said Martin wasn't coming to Iowa and you will be wrong about this.

I didn't think he was transferring here when it had yet to be announced he was transferring... oh no! How could not believe in internet rumors!
And pretty sure I just said who cares if he comes or doesn't come? He obviously wanted to come to Iowa so good for him. Could he develop into an all conference difference maker at receiver? Yes. Is he that right now? No. To say otherwise belies all evidence.

I didn't think he was transferring here when it had yet to be announced he was transferring... oh no! How could not believe in internet rumors!
And pretty sure I just said who cares if he comes or doesn't come? He obviously wanted to come to Iowa so good for him. Could he develop into an all conference difference maker at receiver? Yes. Is he that right now? No. To say otherwise belies all evidence.
You said he wouldn't have much of an effect on the team this year. Not sure where all conference fits in. If Martin could put up half of Easley's numbers that would be a big positive contribution.

You said he wouldn't have much of an effect on the team this year. Not sure where all conference fits in. If Martin could put up half of Easley's numbers that would be a big positive contribution.

The question was whether Martin would move the needle enough to make them a top 20 team. A kid who puts up even half the numbers of Easley isn't going to effect the win loss column for Iowa. You have to be an elite WR to effect win/loss totals.

I would guess if he is eligible this year he would have 10-15 catches. You have Smith, Smith-Marsette and also coaches are super high on Ragiani and Tracy. So he is competing for snaps and targets with all those guys plus you know TEs and RBs will get targets as well.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk

Well, let's see..........I believe the Bowl game was close and
Iowa, who was not favored WON the Outback bowl.

So, then..............??

The question was whether Martin would move the needle enough to make them a top 20 team. A kid who puts up even half the numbers of Easley isn't going to effect the win loss column for Iowa. You have to be an elite WR to effect win/loss totals.

I would guess if he is eligible this year he would have 10-15 catches. You have Smith, Smith-Marsette and also coaches are super high on Ragiani and Tracy. So he is competing for snaps and targets with all those guys plus you know TEs and RBs will get targets as well.

It depends on how those contributions are made. Smith-Marsette had 18 catches for two TD's as a true freshman. But he certainly made a difference in the win-loss column. Both TD's were in the 44-41 OT game at Iowa State, including the game-winner.

I agree that Martin in and of himself does not make Iowa a Top 20 team. They were borderline Top 20 already. He could, emphasis could, make a difference this year if eligible.

Reactions: David1979

Does Oliver Martin get 2 or 3 years at IOWA? Lost track....so thanks in advance for catching me up.

Don't like the blanket statement. Rewatch the 2017 game at Ames against ISU. Was that scared Stanley coming from behind in a hostile environment and throwing 5 TDs?

The only game squarely on Stanley last year was at Penn State, overthrew wide open Hockenson. He also played with a very bad hand injury that game. But he was not good in that game.

Purdue he was 21-32 for 275 yards and a TD. He wasn't the reason Iowa lost.
Northwestern - 27 of 41 for 275 and a TD, no INT. He wasn't the reason Iowa lost. If anything, they should have thrown more and not have the backs fumble twice at the end of the game.
Iowa State - 16 of 28 for 166 yards. Was not great, but made the best throw of the game by either team that sealed the game.

The only game squarely on Stanley last year was at Penn State, overthrew wide open Hockenson. He also played with a very bad hand injury that game. But he was not good in that game.

Purdue he was 21-32 for 275 yards and a TD. He wasn't the reason Iowa lost.
Northwestern - 27 of 41 for 275 and a TD, no INT. He wasn't the reason Iowa lost. If anything, they should have thrown more and not have the backs fumble twice at the end of the game.
Iowa State - 16 of 28 for 166 yards. Was not great, but made the best throw of the game by either team that sealed the game.

People loudly complained and also then forget the Northwestern game is when Fant was not in very much. Stanley wasn't the one who made that call either.

Reactions: BUCKSNDUCKS
IF Iowa ISN'T a LEGIT top 20 team... then one WR transfer that isn't named Rondale Moore isn't going to make them so.

It is still a TEAM game for the most part and having solid players at all positions is what is going to make them a legit top 20 team. A singular player elevating a team that much must be truly special athlete. Particularly at a position that touches the ball typically less than 10 times per game. Martin can be a solid contributor and add depth to the WR position but he's not the level of WR that can take a team... any team... from average to good, or good to great. Thats just being real...

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Even without Martin, I feel as good about ISM, Smith, Tracy and Ragaini as a receiving quartet as I've felt about Iowa receivers since the McNutt-DJK tandem.

As someone else implied, I feel like a 3 receiver set will possibly be our preferred formation over two tight ends. At least at the moment, Beyer is the primary TE we can expect to see as a receiving option so far.

Lastly, I really do think the OL has been unfairly knocked for the sub-par run game last year. I thought for the most part, the holes were there but the inexperienced running backs were slow to ID them last year. I happened to rewatch the Nebraska game - Sargent and Young were MUCH quicker about cutting to the open holes than they were earlier in the season.

I asked The Athletic's Scott Dochterman about Oliver's situation during a live chat today. Here's what he had to say:

Q. Will We hear a decision on Oliver Martin this week? What are your thoughts on his waiver situation?

A. It's difficult to predict the NCAA's timetable. Those officials are in vacation season and coming off a long holiday weekend, so I could see it maybe this week or next. I doubt Martin gets a waiver to play right away. My guess is he sits this year, but is awarded another season on the back end so he'll be able to play three years at Iowa.

Reactions: Pepperman
3 years if wavier approved (news as soon as this week, no?). 2 years if waiver is denied.

Actually, if a waiver is denied to play immediately, he can still apply for an extra year to be able to play 3 after a redshirt. Unless he is trying for both at the same time.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
I asked The Athletic's Scott Dochterman about Oliver's situation during a live chat today. Here's what he had to say:

Q. Will We hear a decision on Oliver Martin this week? What are your thoughts on his waiver situation?

A. It's difficult to predict the NCAA's timetable. Those officials are in vacation season and coming off a long holiday weekend, so I could see it maybe this week or next. I doubt Martin gets a waiver to play right away. My guess is he sits this year, but is awarded another season on the back end so he'll be able to play three years at Iowa.

Watch, the NCAA will never get to the decision and Oliver will sit. If I recall they kind of did this with Drew Ott.

Watch, the NCAA will never get to the decision and Oliver will sit. If I recall they kind of did this with Drew Ott.
I'd say we are more than owed in the Drew Ott situation, you might want to thrown former Hawk LB Julian Smith in there around 2005, remember that fiasco? I think the NCAA literally yanked him off the practice field during fall camp due to a 'Clearinghouse Issue.'

Reactions: Herkmeister
The NCAA recently announced they're going to be harder on these waivers. I don't hold out much hope for OM getting 3 years at Iowa.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I'd say we are more than owed in the Drew Ott situation, you might want to thrown former Hawk LB Julian Smith in there around 2005, remember that fiasco? I think the NCAA literally yanked him off the practice field during fall camp due to a 'Clearinghouse Issue.'

I'm embarrassed I don't recall the Julian Smith situation.

I certainly agree they owe us, but OM ain't gonna get cleared.

Good to great WRs impact the game without necessarily touching the ball. ISU has had a gawd-awful OL for years, probably worst in the B12. However, having Hakeem Butler and/or Allen Lazard out there forced defenses to widen out safeties and linebackers, clearing out the box, which allowed them to have a respectable running game. We on the other hand have one of the best OLs in the B1G consistently. Look at the box though - we get 8 and 9 in the box all of the time. Ohio State in '17 did its normal thing, putting 7 in the box most of the game - and we destroyed them. There is a reason we had success in 02-04, 08-10, and in 2015. CJ Jones. Ed Hinkel. Clinton Solomon. DJK. Marvin McNutt. Tevaun Smith. Pre-injury Matt Vandeberg. They were all seasons where we had our usual great personnel up front and on D, mixed with elite talent (for us) at WR. Its not a coincidence.

Good to great WRs impact the game without necessarily touching the ball. ISU has had a gawd-awful OL for years, probably worst in the B12. However, having Hakeem Butler and/or Allen Lazard out there forced defenses to widen out safeties and linebackers, clearing out the box, which allowed them to have a respectable running game. We on the other hand have one of the best OLs in the B1G consistently. Look at the box though - we get 8 and 9 in the box all of the time. Ohio State in '17 did its normal thing, putting 7 in the box most of the game - and we destroyed them. There is a reason we had success in 02-04, 08-10, and in 2015. CJ Jones. Ed Hinkel. Clinton Solomon. DJK. Marvin McNutt. Tevaun Smith. Pre-injury Matt Vandeberg. They were all seasons where we had our usual great personnel up front and on D, mixed with elite talent (for us) at WR. Its not a coincidence.

I've never thought about it that way, but you've got an interesting point for sure... this is worthy of its own thread (please, start that if you would). You could also make a case that those defenses were better because the offenses could move the ball more effectively.

Great post!

Excellent point.

I think he makes a top 15 team. Hell we might one without him. I think Stanley will have a lot of options this year and will be benefitted by having more dominant and athletic O-line in front of him.

The defense is going to be great against pass and very fast to the ball against the run. Honestly the linebackers taking a step forward is probably the most important thing for the defense we have great talent elsewhere.

This decision has to come out about TODAY! This week for sure.

not sure it will be this week... I've noticed announcements are waiting for other transfers as well... but surely within the next 2 weeks we will hear the announcement that Martin has been cleared... its an easy decision to make and I think fall practices begin in about 2 weeks?

not sure it will be this week... I've noticed announcements are waiting for other transfers as well... but surely within the next 2 weeks we will hear the announcement that Martin has been cleared... its an easy decision to make and I think fall practices begin in about 2 weeks?

If like last year, fall camp should start Friday, August 2 (3 weeks from last Friday)

Reactions: mrF6n6

I don't know where Doc would come up with this hypothesis ... the NCAA rarely gives athletes 6 years to play 4. What he's suggesting is that the NCAA would give OM a 6th year on the "back end" ... that's a veritable impossibility.

Reactions: 01Hawk05 and mrF6n6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT