ADVERTISEMENT

If you expect the Offense to be better next year...

Good news. Another weak schedule vs impotent teams so we can make up another mythical elite defense theme. Well that BS got us through this year. Until it didn’t.

Good news. Another weak schedule vs impotent teams so we can make up another mythical elite defense theme. Well that BS got us through this year. Until it didn’t.
Dude they had significant injuries and our offense and ST screwed them all day giving huskers ball but they still only gave up 24..... Only at a place where the offense is led by incompetent idiots is that an insurmountable lead.

We have complete morons who expect the defense to be perfect to make up for the worst offense in fbs that daddy's boy got put in charge of. This team is 3-9/4-8 without that defense, I'm surprised they didn't wear out sooner after having to carry that fat ass OC all year

We will have better players…pretty simple.
Is the collective actively seeking transfer portal players…or will they when it’s allowed? What’s the process with all that? We all need to step up or this team is going to struggle mightily.

Honestly, as long as KF is coach there is no hope of running a different scheme. Most successful programs build offenses around their play makers and find new ways to get them the ball. At Iowa, it is the square peg, round hole method and unless KF gets off his high horse and successfully uses the free agency transfer portal, it will be a year much like this year in my opinion.

The portal isn’t necessarily the answer for a program like Iowa’s. Kirk rewards practice heroes and effort guys, making them earn playing time, and it’s been largely successful for him.

The idea of bringing in a talented but potential ‘malcontent’ to supplant an underperforming union card holder is anathema to him.

First, I bet Iowa loses some skill guys to the portal, that won’t help. Then, the biggest impact could come from getting o lineman from the portal. Add in that they will most likely start a QB that has never taken a snap in a regular season game, it won’t be pretty.

Do you think Kirk actually wants to see the offense improve? He seems to be content with what we’ve been seeing the last few years. If Barta caves to the fans and forces Kirk to replace Brian, Kirk suddenly has a personal interest in seeing the offense continue to struggle so he can say, “see, it’s not my son’s fault.”

There isn't a QB or a RT on the roster. No QB in Div1 that was good would come play with this support cast. Outstanding tackles available in the Portal is mostly a myth. If Kadyn Proctor doesn't show up, then there is no help coming at all, and even if he starts as a Freshman, there are some growing pains.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I'm waiting for the inevitable "young offensive line maturing" comments. It doesn't seem to work that way on the field, but the wishful thinking remains.

What should happen is dumping the antiquated offense philosophy. I would be shocked if that happened.

What I expect is for nothing to change. We'll hear about a very small number of players in the portal targeted. They may even land one at a position that isn't a big need.
More of the same sh!t offense dependent on perfect execution AND the opposing D making mistakes for it to have success. No emphasis on playmakers making plays. Continued dependence on the D carrying the load.

So there was some hype last year even in bowl prep about Labas. He supposedly had some intangibles that you look for in a QB but then goes an ENTIRE season without getting 1 snap with the worst offense in Power 5 football.

Opposing teams no longer respect the play action as we’ve seen all the times this season the opposing d ends just crashing down. You can’t just have an offense that only passes to tight ends. It’s not cute anymore. We have a solid running back coming back next year and an above average tight end. That is it. Our o line is bottom of the league, receivers bottom of the league and we have a total unknown at QB. Looks not very promising to be honest.

Nothing will ever change as long as Ferentz is head coach. He will continue to coach hoping other team will make more mistakes than Iowa. Somebody should tell him players are better today and schemes have changed.

The portal isn’t necessarily the answer for a program like Iowa’s. Kirk rewards practice heroes and effort guys, making them earn playing time, and it’s been largely successful for him.

The idea of bringing in a talented but potential ‘malcontent’ to supplant an underperforming union card holder is anathema to him.
This. This. and So much this.

While Iowa has brought in a few transfers over the years who have performed reasonably well.....KF's whole program (and thus, recruiting pitch) is founded upon guys coming in, committing, working hard, working their way up the ladder, earning playing time, etc. Dedication, loyalty, sticking it out, buying into the system, proving their worth, being part of the family....sometimes for YEARS...these are the hallmarks of Iowa FB under KF.

So to go wholesale into the rent-a-player market and grab up guys who simply by virtue of being in the portal are showing they are not dedicated, loyal, and willing to stick it out and prove their worth....putting THAT player in front of someone who Kirk and/or his staff sat in the living room of and said "here's the blueprint for you at Iowa".....would be extremely problematic for him.

That said, in modern CFB it's also exactly what you have to do to stay competitive year after year.

If you think things will change at Iowa and the problems will be addressed all you have to see is KF saying he thought the OL played pretty well in his post game.
He did not say that, did he? I didn't watch it in fear of what he'd say. Wow...

QB, QB, QB. We have nothing for next year. Immediate need for a portal QB even if Coach hates the portal. That’s just the beginning. Need to add another QB to this years class.
This would only be the beginning of a major project, A New Offense.
Why would a quarterback want to transfer to Iowa? And for those wanting a qb through the portal, remember, it takes years for a qb to understand the offense and I’m not kidding.

The only way the offense gets better is much better OLIne play, much better qb play and a mobile qb who can make plays now and then with their feet, and much better wide receiver play. WRs have to get open better and catch almost all the balls.

Running backs and tight ends are good enough and better than that.

Reactions: FanOHawk
This offense didn’t bring along anybody that looked like they would be an all-B1G player once they got into the strength and conditioning program. No Noah Fants or Riley Reiffs to be found on offense.

And worst of all, they have significant problems on OL and QB which tend to have the longest lead time for development. OL doesn’t have a single player on it that I would have high hopes that they could ever contribute at that level.

Under Ferentz that is where your hope is. He doesn’t have any intention to go shopping in the portal or recruit freshmen on a regular basis that would be ready to plug and play. Ferentz is absolutely lost in this new environment of portal, NIL, and the B1G becoming an absolute shark tank of coaches.

Transfer Portal.
Iowa lacks quality at OL and WR.
Iowa lacks quality depth at TE and CB.
Iowa lacks experience at QB.

It seems like Iowa should be able to dip into the portal for a TE, CB, OL.
WR and QB will be more difficult.

If Proctor goes elsewhere and KJ2 hits the portal, Iowa might as well give up football for one year and try again in ‘24.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
please explain your optimism. Oh, and "it can't be any worse" is not a satisfying explanation for me.

Year older plus some new faces makes the OL better, besides they can't be any worse,.. OP's satisfaction is not a requirement...

We were told last year that this OL would gel and start to get better. A full year later and they are worse. If Iowa puts some new guys on the OL, we are going to hear the same thing next year.

Our QB play might take a step forward, but that's not saying much.

Our WR group is horrible. We do not recruit good receivers.

Our offense will still be run by KF and BF.

I'll believe it when I see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT