ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Article on Nittany Lion Wrestling Club

"The NLWC has 8.1 times the net assets of the next closest wrestling club — the Hawkeye Wrestling Club — but Hart insists that the discrepancy in net assets doesn't stem from a need to raise money to be competitive."
HaHa...it's a level playing field my a$$. If you have an unfair advantage in college athletics because of money it's BS!. In my eyes under these circumstances if you bring up anything related to RTC's during the recruiting process it should be a violation. Good luck policing it though..... I think it's just a matter of time before the NCAA puts a stop to it.

HaHa...it's a level playing field my a$$. If you have an unfair advantage in college athletics because of money it's BS!. In my eyes under these circumstances if you bring up anything related to RTC's during the recruiting process it should be a violation. Good luck policing it though..... I think it's just a matter of time before the NCAA puts a stop to it.

Iowa has the second most money. You don't think the Iowa staff uses the HWC as a recruiting tool. I also assume the HWC was the most well funded club when Gable was winning all of his titles.

Did you think that Karol was loading them in with the promise of free soup? I believe it is very clear what is happening! For all others it is either legal, and you have to join in? OR it is not legal and it has to be shut down!

I am not sure how the NCAA is not all over this? How is this any different from SMU Football back in the day? If I can offer/promise you $$$ for camps, or when you graduate. What is stopping a Hedge Fund Billionaire type from doing this anywhere with any sport?

Pitch to any top recruit. " We will pay for all you schooling upon graduation, and offer you 25K for camps while you are here!

Okay, we can either spend the next few days pissing and moaning and debating the legality of RTC funding or we can once again step up to do our part. I'm opting for the latter. I'm mailing a $100 check to the Hawkeye Wrestling Club today. In the immortal words of the legendary Pinters, Match me.".

PS This is a personal donation. No funds from Wrestling for Life will be used.

Careful. Big schools generally have much more money than other confrences’ Schools.

No one in the Big Ten seems to upset and demanding change that they now get more TV money than anyone else.

Excelling at fundraising is unfair. We need to do something about that.

The only truly fair way would be for all coaches to submit a no-more-than-250 word essay (that, of course, doesn't identify the school or coach in any way) to each recruit outlining why their school is the best fit (without mentioning any other perceived advantages - historic program success, quality academics, training partners, match atmosphere, etc).

Reactions: lionlover
The NLWC has $5.8 million in assets. The clubs ranked 2-20 in assets have about $2.7 million in assets COMBINED.

Having a single team with so much more assets compared to everyone else (more $$$ than the next 10 clubs combined) is eye-popping.

The potential for shifting money around between the extremely well endowed NLWC and PSU wrestling seems like a huge loophole, begging for use in getting around scholly limits.

One can't help but wonder if that is one way they are consistently able to pull in so many top 20 p4p guys most every year. Everyone else is limited to bringing in a stellar class once every few years, but not PSU.

Yeah, I know.... it's Cael's charm that brings 'em in.... something that he perfected only after leaving ISU.

If there was illegal stuff going on and any bad blood between Suriano and PSU, we would know. Spencer spent plenty of time around PSU, never a word of any illegal offerings. If they are offering out of slushfunds, I'm pretty sure Spencer would have gotten a good chunk offered.

Reactions: lionlover
Did you think that Karol was loading them in with the promise of free soup? I believe it is very clear what is happening! For all others it is either legal, and you have to join in? OR it is not legal and it has to be shut down!

I am not sure how the NCAA is not all over this? How is this any different from SMU Football back in the day? If I can offer/promise you $$$ for camps, or when you graduate. What is stopping a Hedge Fund Billionaire type from doing this anywhere with any sport?

Pitch to any top recruit. " We will pay for all you schooling upon graduation, and offer you 25K for camps while you are here!
Lee knows exactly what he was offered, but says nothing.
Same with Kem.
Why don't wrestlers talk about it?
They all know what PSU wrestlers get or were offered, but nobody talks.
Why? They all love Cael too much? Doubtful.

Did you think that Karol was loading them in with the promise of free soup?

I really think you may be on to something here!

20180426_191342.jpg

If there was illegal stuff going on and any bad blood between Suriano and PSU, we would know. Spencer spent plenty of time around PSU, never a word of any illegal offerings. If they are offering out of slushfunds, I'm pretty sure Spencer would have gotten a good chunk offered.

Pretty big assumption. Both kids have more sense than to involve themselves.

Pretty big assumption. Both kids have more sense than to involve themselves.

I heard they said some stuff, from a reliable source.. some real crazy stuff

Having a single team with so much more assets compared to everyone else (more $$$ than the next 10 clubs combined) is eye-popping.

The potential for shifting money around between the extremely well endowed NLWC and PSU wrestling seems like a huge loophole, begging for use in getting around scholly limits.

One can't help but wonder if that is one way they are consistently able to pull in so many top 20 p4p guys most every year. Everyone else is limited to bringing in a stellar class once every few years, but not PSU.

Yeah, I know.... it's Cael's charm that brings 'em in.... something that he perfected only after leaving ISU.

Here is my take on it. They have no depth. They loose a 125 pounder and they send a kid out there who was like 1-15 before the Boise kid came on. They did not have a 133 pounder last year and a CMU kid comes on as a grad student. When Nolf got hurt, they sent a 149 pounder out there who got crushed all the time. When Nevilles was hurt the year before, they sent a football player out there as their only option.
I would like to know exactly how many guys are receiving scholarship money.
It is obvious they have some real studs, but I do not think they give anything to the second level athletes and so far, Cael has had a pretty good run of picking good guys and not getting burnt or guessing wrong.
I am not saying they don't use the NWLC to their advantage, but I do not think he is cheating. He has just been hot and lucky with the guys he is giving money to. Just my opinion.

Lee knows exactly what he was offered, but says nothing.
Same with Kem.
Why don't wrestlers talk about it?
They all know what PSU wrestlers get or were offered, but nobody talks.
Why? They all love Cael too much? Doubtful.

I don't know anything from anything but let's run with your premise. An assistant coach takes a kid out to dinner or pulls him into a room on the guise of watching match video...talk goes to money:

Coach: Mike Spencer, we really want you to come to our school. As you know, we are the best in the nation right now. To stay that way, we sometimes ask our wrestler's to temporarily sacrifice for the good of the team. Look at Joe Penny...two time NCAA champ. You know how much schollie money he is getting?

Mike: How much coach?

Coach: 20% Mike. 20%. Why? You don't really think all of our guys have rich uncles, right? Haha...internet joke, sorry. It's because he believes in us and we believe in him. He knows that if he helps the team now, we will take care of him in the future. You know how much Mylo Pony, our stud 86kg made last year in our club? $75,000 plus bonuses to help <ahem> cost of living expenses that college life can bring <big wink>. That's not counting his endorsement deals and camps. Hell, Rico Skinflootus made $50K and he only hit one or two tourneys while working in his financial job. We at PTU always take care of our family.

Mike: So does that mean you will help pay off any student loans?

Coach: <holds up hand> Lets make it very clear that it would be an NCAA violation if I were to offer you future payment for signing on with us ;):rolleyes: <ahem> <footstomp>. Just giving you examples of what our other guys are making.

Obviously, I am having f** with this. However, a variation of that type of conversation is happening on college campuses all around the country in some sports. I don't know why we think wrestling would be immune. If "Mike Spencer" chose another, rival school and came out and repeated this conversation, he would get skinned alive. "No proof," "sour grapes," "his word against ours"...insert opinions from PTU fanbase and most in the wrestling community.

As fans, we have a vested interest in not schools cheating...especially the big ones with RTCs. If an Iowa, PSU, tOSU, OSU were caught using the RTC as an IOU, it would be very bad for all of our schools and potentially impact USA wrestling as well. But that's what we are doing...essentially housing the pro team with the amateur team (with the same coaching staffs) and pretending "never the twain shall meet." Let's hope it isn't.

Okay, we can either spend the next few days pissing and moaning and debating the legality of RTC funding or we can once again step up to do our part. I'm opting for the latter. I'm mailing a $100 check to the Hawkeye Wrestling Club today. In the immortal words of the legendary Pinters, Match me.".

PS This is a personal donation. No funds from Wrestling for Life will be used.

That is awesome and everyone could do it, but our coaches are not going to promise that money to recruits unlike others.

Here is my take on it. They have (had) no depth. They loose a 125 pounder and they send a kid out there who was like 1-15 before the Boise kid came on. They did not have a 133 pounder last year and a CMU kid comes on as a grad student. When Nolf got hurt, they sent a 149 pounder out there who got crushed all the time. When Nevilles was hurt the year before, they sent a football player out there as their only option.

But some of that was temporary and unforeseen. Suriano transfers, Cortez gets injured. Nolf was going to come back or they had options to pull shirts. Still able to bring in transfers to include a mid semester one. Even before that, the wheels were in place to answer that lower weight depth problem. They won't have it anymore as they will soon have 4 top 20 guys manning two weights....plus trying to bring in DeSanto.

Iowa has the second most money. You don't think the Iowa staff uses the HWC as a recruiting tool. I also assume the HWC was the most well funded club when Gable was winning all of his titles.
Nope - I'm sure that was not the case. Provide the proof and evidence.

I don't know anything from anything but let's run with your premise. An assistant coach takes a kid out to dinner or pulls him into a room on the guise of watching match video...talk goes to money:

Coach: Mike Spencer, we really want you to come to our school. As you know, we are the best in the nation right now. To stay that way, we sometimes ask our wrestler's to temporarily sacrifice for the good of the team. Look at Joe Penny...two time NCAA champ. You know how much schollie money he is getting?

Coach: 20% Mike. 20%. Why? You don't really think all of our guys have rich uncles, right? Haha...internet joke, sorry. It's because he believes in us and we believe in him. He knows that if he helps the team now, we will take care of him in the future. You know how much Mylo Pony, our stud 86kg made last year in our club? $75,000 plus bonuses to help <ahem> cost of living expenses that college life can bring <big wink>. That's not counting his endorsement deals and camps. Hell, Rico Skinflootus made $50K and he only hit one or two tourneys while working in his financial job. We at PTU always take care of our family.

Coach: <holds up hand> Lets make it very clear that it would be an NCAA violation if I were to offer you future payment for signing on with us ;):rolleyes: <ahem> <footstomp>. Just giving you examples of what our other guys are making.

Obviously, I am having f** with this. However, a variation of that type of conversation is happening on college campuses all around the country in some sports. I don't know why we think wrestling would be immune. If "Mike Spencer" chose another, rival school and came out and repeated this conversation, he would get skinned alive. "No proof," "sour grapes," "his word against ours"...insert opinions from PTU fanbase and most in the wrestling community.

As fans, we have a vested interest in not schools cheating...especially the big ones with RTCs. If an Iowa, PSU, tOSU, OSU were caught using the RTC as an IOU, it would be very bad for all of our schools and potentially impact USA wrestling as well. But that's what we are doing...essentially housing the pro team with the amateur team (with the same coaching staffs) and pretending "never the twain shall meet." Let's hope it isn't.
If a kid turned down such an attractive offer he must of found a way to make a lot more money down the line or maybe was told that.

Roy Carver was the sugar daddy in those days.

I don't know the ins and outs of PSU's program, but I believe Spencer would not have been offered anything from any sources (such as the infamous "slushfund") other than the 9.9 Scholarship allotment. It appears fairly obvious to me that the offers that are made beyond the 9.9 happen after their Freshmen year is complete at the very least or significantly later in their career. Making an offer prior to having a true relationship with just crazy.

Reactions: el dub
Article really doesn't tell us something we didn't already know.
That some rich dude gave them over 5 million which most likely
was already done before they approach Cael for the job. Rest is history.
You once asked me on the PSU board why PSU was not winning more NCAA championships before Cael came to PSU.

Here is another article written by the same publication the OP linked:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/article_0e8b5c4a-3082-11e8-97ec-8b0ec8b9a52e.html

To summarize:

"A big disadvantage for Penn State was the number of scholarships.
Lorenzo (Penn State's retired wrestling coach) thought they needed more, and until that happened, he couldn’t feel confident that Penn State would improve to the necessary level.

The program just wasn't in the right place or time to want to make the move up to being one of the top four schools in the country, which I believed we could've been every year with a little bit more commitment, Lorenzo said. We were getting 12 scholarships and all of the other good schools were getting at least 20, 25 or 30."

I don't know the ins and outs of PSU's program, but I believe Spencer would not have been offered anything from any sources (such as the infamous "slushfund") other than the 9.9 Scholarship allotment. It appears fairly obvious to me that the offers that are made beyond the 9.9 happen after their Freshmen year is complete at the very least or significantly later in their career. Making an offer prior to having a true relationship with just crazy.
These offers are being made to recruits. Why do you think there is so much smoke on this? Hell I am guessing they are going to print this article up and hand it to incoming recruits so it can do most the heavy lifting.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
These offers are being made to recruits. Why do you think there is so much smoke on this? Hell I am guessing they are going to print this article up and hand it to incoming recruits so it can do most the heavy lifting.
Honest question here. Where is the smoke because I don't see it? A hundred guys on a message board believing something happened doesn't equal smoke. Where is the proof? Where is one recruit or disgruntled former wrestler spilling the beans? Isn't Tom Ryan basically doing the same thing recruiting-wise in Columbus without the huge fund? Is he cheating too?

But some of that was temporary and unforeseen. Suriano transfers, Cortez gets injured. Nolf was going to come back or they had options to pull shirts. Still able to bring in transfers to include a mid semester one. Even before that, the wheels were in place to answer that lower weight depth problem. They won't have it anymore as they will soon have 4 top 20 guys manning two weights....plus trying to bring in DeSanto.
I get you on that Chief, but my point is that is is not inconceivable that he has 15 super studs each getting about 2/3 of a scholly each. (I know guys went to Iowa for a heck of a lot less that that in the Gable era).

It is possible that he does not invest in "room guys". As long as he stays hot and lucky, things will continue to fall his way. Has h e made a bad pick yet? He did not go after Brooks Black or Haines, but went after Nevilles. They panned out well. Who know what happened with Martsellar, but so far that has worked for him. I can't think of any others.

My point is, so far they have had very little depth and a lot of high performing upper end talent. A philosophy I think Iowa is now trying to incorporate into their recruiting - I think. I appreciate your response to my post.

I just signed up for $25/month to HWC. Not much, but it’s a start

$25 is just perfect..... If we could just get 40,000 Iowa fans (less than 2/3 what it takes to fill Kinnick Stadium) to donate $25 per month - that would be $1 million per month...

Reactions: bnicolls

Well if this is indeed happening, I am pretty sure 3 time world champions(oh wait, there's just one of those) wouldn't be getting the "illegal" money after they graduated, but rather on the front end

I agree whole heartedly with your post. But, are they doing anything illegal? We have way more resources than everyone else except psu. They could all say the same about us. Our wrestlers turn around and get employed by hwc as soon as they are done.

We are competing against a perfect storm: great program, the wealthiest rtc, all centrally located in the hotbed of recruiting. But if there was illegal activity, the wrestling world is too small for it not to come out.

I get you on that Chief, but my point is that is is not inconceivable that he has 15 super studs each getting about 2/3 of a scholly each. (I know guys went to Iowa for a heck of a lot less that that in the Gable era).

It is possible that he does not invest in "room guys". As long as he stays hot and lucky, things will continue to fall his way. Has h e made a bad pick yet? He did not go after Brooks Black or Haines, but went after Nevilles. They panned out well. Who know what happened with Martsellar, but so far that has worked for him. I can't think of any others.

My point is, so far they have had very little depth and a lot of high performing upper end talent. A philosophy I think Iowa is now trying to incorporate into their recruiting - I think. I appreciate your response to my post.
Almost the entire PSU team receives some form of aid. I'm told the room guys as you call them receive book money. I'd also think freshmen get less than upper classmen because they haven't proved it on the mat yet. I would also imagine that even starters on RS get less than they would if they were starting. There's a lot of ways to milk the 9.9 without cheating. In the last reported fiscal year (2016?), PSU gave out 9.66 scholarships in total, so not even the full allotment. The important thing is that the coach must be completely transparent up front with the wrestler and family or you get bad feelings which can spread to the entire team. Even then you can have misunderstandings, which in part is what I believe happened in the Suriano case.

Reactions: lookleft goright
I agree whole heartedly with your post. But, are they doing anything illegal? We have way more resources than everyone else except psu. They could all say the same about us.

A few did...getting Lee's Dad a job.

But than our group of recruits is exactly what you would expect for 9.9. The only topish recruit we got last year was Cass. Sounded like we were looking for quarters in the couches to try and sway RBY or Trent Hidlay...we were not going to be able to get both. Somehow, PSU would get all three (had they wanted them) plus one or two others.

I agree...is it something others can do? I don't think anybody really wants to ask the question. From what I hear, our compliance department is a Just Say No entity and nobody really wants the NCAA digging around in the RTC system.

Like I said, I hope nobody is abusing the system.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT