ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Article on Nittany Lion Wrestling Club

That's the most obvious answer to me. Yes, they both get out-of-state kids, but the backbone of both programs are local talent, just like Iowa from the 70's to the 90's. Many of these kids have grown up wanting to wear those singlets, just like many did Iowa's singlet 20 years ago. Kids that already have the mental image of wrestling for a team take pay cuts to live the dream. I honestly believe it can be as simple as that. That isn't the only reason certainly, but I don't believe anything dishonest is going on at either program. Both schools committed substantial resources to wrestling about 10 years ago in facilities and coaching, and we see the results. The University of Iowa has decided to enter that arms race, so I would expect your recruiting to follow. No magic. Just commitment and money.
You sort of remind me of Donald Trump supporters. No matter what he does it's all fake news. He never has did anything wrong and all those women are just coming up with fake news. Those tapes on that bus were just jokes. And Penn State having a $$$ wrestling club is just being made up and everyone else is jealous. Put your head back in the hole and enjoy your ride, Sandusky.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
When I say lucky, I mean he has not had kids get hurt or have a change of heart. I think he has an uncanny knack for sifting through the kids and knowing who will be a good fit and who will flourish in his program. He does not seem to make many mistakes. That is the skill part.

I would say having Suriano leave is bad luck and that is the only case of it I can think of for Cael. Cael does seem to have a plan and he seems to see very clearly what needs to be done. That vision is hard to quantify, but the dividends seem apparent.
Cael is awesome and has an uncanny knack for finding 20 or more #1 rated recruits coming out of high school. Pretty amazing how he finds these kids. And then to be able to get half of them to except no scholarship money and then be able to pay off their $200,000 school loans in one year after graduation. What a coach IMO..:eek:

If Cael isn't doing that, I really don't understand how Teske was reportedly offered a full ride.

Nothing against Teske but I highly doubt he was offered a full ride at PSU. My bet is that there have been very few (if any) "Full Rides" over the last 5 years.

You sort of remind me of Bill Clinton supporters. No matter what he did, he was shielded by the media. He never has did anything wrong and all those women are completely ignored/subject to derision.And Penn State having a $$$ wrestling club is just being made up and everyone else is jealous. Put your head back in the hole and enjoy your ride to Sandusky, Ohio.

FIFY.

If the ncaa or usa wrestling were to make a rule that you can't receive funds from the club associated with the college you attended, how much do you think would it affect recruiting?

Obviously with more money, you could still bring in top wrestlers who would be able to train with the college kids which I think would be a big pull.

Or, he’s just doing a better job with the limitations the sport has to deal with. Isn’t that the alternative explanation? Isn’t that the more likely answer than he cheats? It’s easy to say he cheats, but it’s been at least five years and no one has dropped a dime on him. Why? You don’t think Suriano’s dad wouldn’t in a nanosecond with the bad blood? The easier answer is Cael does it better.

yes, of course that must be it...Cael "does it better."

Somehow, he found the secret to recruiting top tier guys year after year, that no other coach has been able to figure out. And it's just coincidence that it only happened once he got to PSU and aided by an endowed NLWC that has more $$$$ than the assets of the next 10 clubs combined.

Not saying it's cheating, but then not sure it's all legitimate either. I honestly don't know, but I think Cael's recruiting success is related to the $$$$ of the NLWC. It's possible he has decided there is a loophole to exploit and he's using it far more than any other program. The compliance oversight is probably minimal.

Overall, if the playing field is not level, it's bad for the sport. I don't think most fans don't want to see ncaa team titles purchased by the team with the most $$$$.

If the ncaa or usa wrestling were to make a rule that you can't receive funds from the club associated with the college you attended, how much do you think would it affect recruiting?
In my understanding of the law, that would be illegal. The Clubs are essentially post graduate jobs for wrestlers. As such, the NCAA cannot limit your ability to get a job where ever you choose.

At this point I just read a thread like this and laugh, so much misinformation and blind speculation. Meanwhile in the real world, Iowa has finished behind one or more teams other then Penn State at NCAAs for the last 8 years yet it's "if only Penn State wasn't cheating" Sour Grapes, nothing more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Creek Side
Lol and who is this NCAA oversight person?

You're aware NCAA compliance is done by each school's own compliance department right? There is no auditing/oversight going on by the NCAA itself.

Bit of a conflict of interest. And ya know, there is no history at all of NCAA athletic recruiting cheating so it makes perfect sense to leave the responsibility on each school to self report recruiting violations.

Wonder why all of those bb programs being investigated by the FBI didn't catch anything with their compliance departments.

Not saying, PSU is cheating, but using their compliance department as proof that things are above board is a joke.

Since you ignored this fact the other time that I posted it, I'll give you a second chance to ignore it.

People seem to forget, ignore, or never knew that the NCAA required Penn State's entire Athletic Dept. to be subjected to an independent integrity monitor, selected by the NCAA in 2012. The first monitor was former Senator George Mitchell and the monitoring period was supposed to run for five years. Mitchell ended up leaving early and replaced by Charles Scheeler. In 2015, the mandated independent compliance position was eliminated two years early at the recommendation of both Mitchell and Scheeler because in their opinion it wasn't needed.

So either Cael stopped cheating from 2012-2015 (during which time PSU won 2 national championships) or he doesn't cheat. I suppose a third option could be that our slush fund was used to bribe both independent monitors to turn a blind eye.

I haven't a clue whether or not our wrestling program is or is not cheating. What I do know is that our wrestling program was subject to scrutiny from the NCAA for three years like no other program was and they found nothing.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Money wise PSU looks about tapped-out. Zain's gone, but it looks to me that they have 9 full-ride quality wrestlers still on the roster -
Brady Berge 149/157 FR Mantorville, Minn./Kasson-Mantorville (1)
Mark Hall 174 SO Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley (2)
Vincenzo Joseph 165 SO Pittsburgh, Pa./Central Catholic (3)
Nick Lee 141 FR Evansville, Ind. (4)
Mason Manville 165 FR Lorton, Va./Wyoming Seminary (5)
Nick Nevills 285 JR Clovis, Calif./Clovis (6)
Bo Nickal 184 JR Allen, Texas/Allen (7)
Jason Nolf 157 JR Yatesboro, Pa./Kittanning (8)
Zain Retherford 149 SR Benton, Pa./Benton (*)
Jarod Verkleeren 149 FR Greensburg, Pa./Hempfield (9)​

And yet look what the cat drug in -
Gavin Teasdale
RBY
Aaron Brooks
Michael Beard
Seth Neville
Adam Busiello
Joe Lee
Brody Teske
Travis Wittlake (*) [apparently when he bolted it opened up three scholarships]
Could some of you Penn State fans let us know when it starts looking suscipious?

Money wise PSU looks about tapped-out. Zain's gone, but it looks to me that they have 9 full-ride quality wrestlers still on the roster -
Brady Berge 149/157 FR Mantorville, Minn./Kasson-Mantorville (1)
Mark Hall 174 SO Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley (2)
Vincenzo Joseph 165 SO Pittsburgh, Pa./Central Catholic (3)
Nick Lee 141 FR Evansville, Ind. (4)
Mason Manville 165 FR Lorton, Va./Wyoming Seminary (5)
Nick Nevills 285 JR Clovis, Calif./Clovis (6)
Bo Nickal 184 JR Allen, Texas/Allen (7)
Jason Nolf 157 JR Yatesboro, Pa./Kittanning (8)
Zain Retherford 149 SR Benton, Pa./Benton (*)
Jarod Verkleeren 149 FR Greensburg, Pa./Hempfield (9)​

And yet look what the cat drug in -
Gavin Teasdale
RBY
Aaron Brooks
Michael Beard
Seth Neville
Adam Busiello
Joe Lee
Brody Teske
Travis Wittlake (*) [apparently when he bolted it opened up three scholarships]
Could some of you Penn State fans let us know when it starts looking suscipious?

Well for starters, I don't believe any wrestler at PSU receives a full ride. I personally don't know that for sure (who could), but everything I have ever read seems to indicate that a discount from 100% is expected in all cases, and in return, you'll be given every assistance under the sun to reach your collegiate and post-collegiate goals.

You assume the top nine guys are taking up nearly nine scholarships, when in reality, those nine are more likely to be taking 6 scholarships total. The next 10 guys may be taking up 3 scholarships total, and the remaining 15 or so guys may be taking the last 0.9 scholarships in small increments or book money only.

It isn't that difficult to see where the money can be stretched without defying gravity.

Nothing against Teske but I highly doubt he was offered a full ride at PSU. My bet is that there have been very few (if any) "Full Rides" over the last 5 years.
I agree he was not given a “full ride” and think that term gets thrown around here way to often. However PSU DID offer him more than Iowa, now I have no idea if Iowa couldn’t afford the same or if they simply just didn’t want him enough but I do know the above is true. So let’s quit pretending (not that you were specifically) that he wasn’t offered a “blue chip” package. And for the record I’m not claiming Cael is a cheater.

Well for starters, I don't believe any wrestler at PSU receives a full ride. I personally don't know that for sure (who could), but everything I have ever read seems to indicate that a discount from 100% is expected in all cases, and in return, you'll be given every assistance under the sun to reach your collegiate and post-collegiate goals.

You assume the top nine guys are taking up nearly nine scholarships, when in reality, those nine are more likely to be taking 6 scholarships total. The next 10 guys may be taking up 3 scholarships total, and the remaining 15 or so guys may be taking the last 0.9 scholarships in small increments or book money only.

It isn't that difficult to see where the money can be stretched without defying gravity.

I'm not assuming anyone at PSU is getting a full ride and I never stated that. I used the phrase "full ride quality" wrestler. In fact, 9.9 is meaningless to Cael and company. You got things exactly backwards.

Since you ignored this fact the other time that I posted it, I'll give you a second chance to ignore it.

People seem to forget, ignore, or never knew that the NCAA required Penn State's entire Athletic Dept. to be subjected to an independent integrity monitor, selected by the NCAA in 2012. The first monitor was former Senator George Mitchell and the monitoring period was supposed to run for five years. Mitchell ended up leaving early and replaced by Charles Scheeler. In 2015, the mandated independent compliance position was eliminated two years early at the recommendation of both Mitchell and Scheeler because in their opinion it wasn't needed.

So either Cael stopped cheating from 2012-2015 (during which time PSU won 2 national championships) or he doesn't cheat. I suppose a third option could be that our slush fund was used to bribe both independent monitors to turn a blind eye.

I haven't a clue whether or not our wrestling program is or is not cheating. What I do know is that our wrestling program was subject to scrutiny from the NCAA for three years like no other program was and they found nothing.

Lmfao. Yeah, I'm sure an 80 year old senator was a real diligent compliance officer. I'm sure he understands wrestling recruiting, funding, and regional training centers. That was little more than a publicity stunt. He played college basketball as well, to further back his credentials.

Gtfo here w/ that nonsense.

Lmfao. Yeah, I'm sure an 80 year old senator was a real diligent compliance officer. I'm sure he understands wrestling recruiting, funding, and regional training centers. That was little more than a publicity stunt. He played college basketball as well, to further back his credentials.

You complain when there is no independent compliance oversight and you complain when there is independent compliance oversight. Is there a third option that would make you happy?

If Iowa appointed a monitor it would probably be a man-hating feminist lawyer like Roxanne Colin. At Penn State it's Weekend at Bernies. Our PSU friends are crazy.

Reactions: DonHawkeye
If Iowa appointed a monitor it would probably be a man-hating feminist lawyer like Roxanne Colin. At Penn State it's Weekend at Bernies. Our PSU friends are crazy.

For starters, Penn State did not select the monitors, the NCAA did.

I agree he was not given a “full ride” and think that term gets thrown around here way to often. However PSU DID offer him more than Iowa, now I have no idea if Iowa couldn’t afford the same or if they simply just didn’t want him enough but I do know the above is true. So let’s quit pretending (not that you were specifically) that he wasn’t offered a “blue chip” package. And for the record I’m not claiming Cael is a cheater.

Assuming that you are correct that PSU's offer to Teske was higher than Iowa's, why is that a surprise to anyone? Iowa has a once in a generation 125 with Lee (3 remaining years) and PSU had an immediate need due to Suriano's transfer. Considering Iowa's other needs it would be shocking if Iowa tried to outbid any school for Teske.

Again, nothing against Teske as I have only read positive comments about him on this board and BWI, but he is not going to force Lee to the bench nor does it appear that he could easily become a full sized 133.

Iowa's recruiting of Teske is very similar to when PSU recruited Kemerer. Both in-state highly credentialed wrestlers and high character kids and yet both blocked by national champion level wrestlers. In Teske's case Lee is blocking him and with Kemerer PSU had Retherford and Nolf.

Reactions: Dagboi
Assuming that you are correct that PSU's offer to Teske was higher than Iowa's, why is that a surprise to anyone? Iowa has a once in a generation 125 with Lee (3 remaining years) and PSU had an immediate need due to Suriano's transfer. Considering Iowa's other needs it would be shocking if Iowa tried to outbid any school for Teske.

Again, nothing against Teske as I have only read positive comments about him on this board and BWI, but he is not going to force Lee to the bench nor does it appear that he could easily become a full sized 133.

Iowa's recruiting of Teske is very similar to when PSU recruited Kemerer. Both in-state highly credentialed wrestlers and high character kids and yet both blocked by national champion level wrestlers. In Teske's case Lee is blocking him and with Kemerer PSU had Retherford and Nolf.
To your first point it is correct no need for assumptions. As for everything else we are in complete agreement, I just get tired of people insinuating Teske chose psu for little $$ when it just isn’t true, he’s getting substantial scholarship dollars to wrestle in HV.

Solid Hawkeye fan move - redirecting a conversation about current events to events from 25 years ago ...

As opposed to events (grab their Va Jay Jay and Stormy Daniels) that happened 10+ years ago? Bill is very relevant...almost became first dude. Plus, there is no Donald Trump without Bill Clinton.

How do you explain tOSU then? If tOSU has a similar recruiting arc as PSU as shown in the 2018 Flo recruiting rankings, then how can tOSU do it honestly but PSU cannot? I do NOT want this to become argumentative. I just want to walk through the mental aspects of the cheating claim and see if it still has a fishy smell on the other side.

I’m a psu grad and I had one kid graduate from there and another from Lehigh. If we go only books or some partial scholarship my son would have gone to psu. I live there and I could see him wrestle more times per season if he was in Pa.( edit, this was if he was a high level wrestling recruit)
And believe it or not some folk save for college, or have grandpa and grandma or other ways of paying. My brother in law is paying for two kids at once, Columbia and NYU. He is a big time executive, but still . Not everyone is a scholarship or there’s no way for the, to attend college.

Last edited:
As opposed to events (grab their Va Jay Jay and Stormy Daniels) that happened 10+ years ago? Bill is very relevant...almost became first dude. Plus, there is no Donald Trump without Bill Clinton.

The most relevant thing about Bill Clinton is that he is the benchmark for morality being a convenience item.

If it is convenient to have morals then the main stream "fake News" media has them. aka In Trump's case he needs to be almost saint like. If it is not convenient to have morals AAKA Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Weiner, Producers in Hollywood, then it is an over reaction from the wacko Christian right.

I agree that if the Dems had thrown Bill out with all his crap, Trump does not get elected. As much as they moan and groan about Trump, the libs were instrumental in changing the degree to which morality plays a role in a person getting elected.

On a side note, did anyone read where
Dr. Dean lorich, an orthopedic surgeon who volunteered in haiti and exposed clinton foundation corruption and malpractice on the island, has been found dead in new york. He was 54. Apparently he was found with a knife in his chest and the cops ruled it a suicide.
Here is a link to the article;https://www.jsmineset.com

What is the total number of people involved with the Clintons who have committed suicide or been murdered?

Reactions: fizzyskittles
The most relevant thing about Bill Clinton is that he is the benchmark for morality being a convenience item.

If it is convenient to have morals then the main stream "fake News" media has them. aka In Trump's case he needs to be almost saint like. If it is not convenient to have morals AAKA Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Weiner, Producers in Hollywood, then it is an over reaction from the wacko Christian right.

I agree that if the Dems had thrown Bill out with all his crap, Trump does not get elected. As much as they moan and groan about Trump, the libs were instrumental in changing the degree to which morality plays a role in a person getting elected.

On a side note, did anyone read where
Dr. Dean lorich, an orthopedic surgeon who volunteered in haiti and exposed clinton foundation corruption and malpractice on the island, has been found dead in new york. He was 54. Apparently he was found with a knife in his chest and the cops ruled it a suicide.
Here is a link to the article;https://www.jsmineset.com

What is the total number of people involved with the Clintons who have committed suicide or been murdered?
It’s approaching forty I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: lookleft goright
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT