ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting thoughts about signature verification in voting.

Photo IDs are totally worthless and easily defrauded, that is why I oppose them. A thumb scan I could live with.....but that too is not ‘fraud proof”,,,but the fraud would more likely be on the administrative side. And honestly, I don’t trust some states to run a fair election...there is a lot of history behind states like Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana and Mississippi.

State IDs are not “totally worthless and easily defrauded”. Where do you come up with the stuff?

Go visit Georgia.
I've heard all the stories you have.... 500,000 people purged, polling stations closed, etc...

Where is the story on John/Jane Doe who went to the polling station and was not allowed to vote? Why hasn't someone written that story?

If they were denied (I'm not saying that person doesn't exist) why?

Voting rolls get purged. I live in Texas now but I know I'm still on the list in Florida because my mom told me she saw my name this year.

You people want to make every excuse why people can't vote... You have 2 weeks of early voting and election day. Everyone wants to wait until the last possible minute to figure everything out.

If I showed up and wasn't allowed I would raise holy hell. I called the 800 number to make sure I was registered and where my polling place was. Take some initiative!

State IDs are not “totally worthless and easily defrauded”. Where do you come up with the stuff?
OK....I spoke out of turn....:rolleyes: Define a "state ID" them buddyboy? Thank God Iowa DL are frauded and forged....today! People can do about anything with computers.......dont be lulled asleep. It is an on-going and never ending battle. The more secure form of ID is probably biometrics...it sure as hell isnt some GD manmade ID card.

OK....I spoke out of turn....:rolleyes: Define a "state ID" them buddyboy? Thank God Iowa DL are frauded and forged....today! People can do about anything with computers.......dont be lulled asleep. It is an on-going and never ending battle. The more secure form of ID is probably biometrics...it sure as hell isnt some GD manmade ID card.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

I've heard all the stories you have.... 500,000 people purged, polling stations closed, etc...

Where is the story on John/Jane Doe who went to the polling station and was not allowed to vote? Why hasn't someone written that story?

If they were denied (I'm not saying that person doesn't exist) why?

Voting rolls get purged. I live in Texas now but I know I'm still on the list in Florida because my mom told me she saw my name this year.

You people want to make every excuse why people can't vote... You have 2 weeks of early voting and election day. Everyone wants to wait until the last possible minute to figure everything out.

If I showed up and wasn't allowed I would raise holy hell. I called the 800 number to make sure I was registered and where my polling place was. Take some initiative!
Heard stories about voter fraud, as well. Must have photo ID to stop it. Yet, no one can seem to actually FIND cases of in-person voter fraud to justify the need. This has been posted time and again and greatly predates your request. Why don't you produce proof first.

Heard stories about voter fraud, as well. Must have photo ID to stop it. Yet, no one can seem to actually FIND cases of in-person voter fraud to justify the need. This has been posted time and again and greatly predates your request. Why don't you produce proof first.
Effect voter fraud can only be accomplished by those in charge of elections and vote counting. Making the voter pay for the sins of others is not very American.

First off, I do not think widespread voter fraud is happening every election. It does however happen. There are several cases in Broward County on non-citizens voting and Nelson's and Gillium's camp objections to them being throw out... Plenty of back-up and documentation if it. At last I heard there were 78 people who filled out an absentee vote and then showed up to vote again. Somewhere in there is voter fraud...

Feel free to do some research... I refuse to drag you through life.

In big races, like Senate, Govemor, President the effect is most likely negligible. But to say it doesn't happen is disingenuous.

I recently read about a race in Tennessee, I believe, a local race that was decided by 1 vote.

Photo IDs are totally worthless and easily defrauded, that is why I oppose them. A thumb scan I could live with.....but that too is not ‘fraud proof”,,,but the fraud would more likely be on the administrative side. And honestly, I don’t trust some states to run a fair election...there is a lot of history behind states like Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana and Mississippi.

Well, and let's also say it out loud - if retinal scan or fingerprint biometrics are added to Voter ID, there's now a series of government-held databases with that data. Right now, an officer can't walk up to me on the street and make me submit my prints unless he has probable cause and brings me into booking.

This puts every voter in the system.....and if we continue to also have local control over voting systems, privacy controls will vary all over the map. There won't be standard equipment, set-up, calibration....there won't be standard practices in place if equipment isn't working....etc.

A quick search for retina scanners shows a low-end model to cost around $500. At minimum, every polling location needs 2. According to the Google machine, there appear to be at least 114,000 polling locations in the US. Let's assume that government buying in bulk pulls that cost down to $300/unit....that's still 228,000 iris scanners. Without even talking about any backend systems, that's $68.4M.

Well, and let's also say it out loud - if retinal scan or fingerprint biometrics are added to Voter ID, there's now a series of government-held databases with that data. Right now, an officer can't walk up to me on the street and make me submit my prints unless he has probable cause and brings me into booking.

This puts every voter in the system.....and if we continue to also have local control over voting systems, privacy controls will vary all over the map. There won't be standard equipment, set-up, calibration....there won't be standard practices in place if equipment isn't working....etc.

A quick search for retina scanners shows a low-end model to cost around $500. At minimum, every polling location needs 2. According to the Google machine, there appear to be at least 114,000 polling locations in the US. Let's assume that government buying in bulk pulls that cost down to $300/unit....that's still 228,000 iris scanners. Without even talking about any backend systems, that's $68.4M.
FTR, I am wholeheartedly against any kind of biometric ID to vote.

However, many banks have a fingerprint readers when cashing a check. Yes, people still go to the bank and cash checks.

Why are we more careful with our money than we are with our ability to vote and vote fairly??

FTR, I am wholeheartedly against any kind of biometric ID to vote.

However, many banks have a fingerprint readers when cashing a check. Yes, people still go to the bank and cash checks.

Why are we more careful with our money than we are with our ability to vote and vote fairly??

They do? I've literally never seen one. That said, 99% of my checks are cashed by taking a picture of them with my bank's mobile app.

I've long said that financial systems should be a model for electronic voting. You will literally never have a completely fraud-proof system....but our financial systems have a very, very high level of confidentiality, integrity and availability.

First off, I do not think widespread voter fraud is happening every election. It does however happen. There are several cases in Broward County on non-citizens voting and Nelson's and Gillium's camp objections to them being throw out... Plenty of back-up and documentation if it.

At last I heard there were 78 people who filled out an absentee vote and then showed up to vote again. Somewhere in there is voter fraud...

Feel free to do some research... I refuse to drag you through life.

In big races, like Senate, Govemor, President the effect is most likely negligible. But to say it doesn't happen is disingenuous.

I recently read about a race in Tennessee, I believe, a local race that was decided by 1 vote.
I find one reference to one non-citizen ballot being rejected . The judge even says, "First one of these we've seen" and the Nelson and Gillium lawyers issue an objection. And? It's not like an objection is going to get the vote counted. It would have to be a ballot with some identifying information on it - else how would they know? So object and make them prove it's a non-citizen. Seems straight-forward. Or object to get the objection on the record but nothing changes. What, exactly, is nefarious about this? In 2000, hundreds of overseas military ballots that should have been trashed were counted...in absolute violation of Florida election law.

As for people who voted absentee and then showed up to vote...how is that voter fraud? They can only vote once...either the absentee ballot is counted and they can't vote at the polls or the absentee ballot hasn't been counted and gets disqualified when the records show the individual voted at the polls. What is absolutely true is that if you wanted to steal their vote, you would do it by absentee ballot rather than in-person voting. So where are the people claiming they showed up to vote only to find that they - unbeknownst to them - already voted absentee? What is generally the case is that they voted absentee, then forgot and went to vote again.

To say "somewhere in there is voter fraud" is exactly the kind of nebulous, boogey-man thinking that's being called out. Prove it.

A local race? Decided by 1 vote? And? That's really not evidence of anything except two candidates with near equal support.

They do? I've literally never seen one. That said, 99% of my checks are cashed by taking a picture of them with my bank's mobile app.

I've long said that financial systems should be a model for electronic voting. You will literally never have a completely fraud-proof system....but our financial systems have a very, very high level of confidentiality, integrity and availability.
c0.jpg

They used this at the PearsonVUE exam site:

https://www.fulcrumbiometrics.com/Fujitsu-PalmSecure-Palm-Vein-Scanner-Guide-Bundl-p/102401.htm

Yes, that looks like a solid tool....but we'd still need to deploy a few hundred thousand devices, build out the back-end infrastructure and lay out processes to actually collect the scans up front and then securely maintain that data over time.

I work in security and risk and there are a million awesome solutions out there, but the solution needs to cost less than the potential risk. I'm not going to spend $1M to fix a $100,000 problem......do we have evidence that not having a biometric Voter ID has led to thousands/tens of thousands/millions of fraudulent votes? Remember, too, that Voter ID does absolutely nothing about people in polling places finding magical ballots out of nowhere.....so its far from a fix-all.

Reactions: Joes Place
Really you cant figure this out?
Before you get all uppity... The majority of the 1.5million voters purged in Georgia were the results of a law passed by a Democratic Legislature and a Democratic Governor.

60 million votes for Democrats in mid-term elections this year. Republicans sure do suck at voter suppression...

If you want voter ID, they need to be free and very easily accessible. However, voter ID is obsolete. What we need is voting via smart phones, and mandatory voting.

Right. Everyone knows that computers are secure. I can’t go a month without an email or other alert regarding a data breach. Many times from government or a large corporation that should be able to afford the best security on the planet. Yet that doesn’t happen. Voting needs to be in person (early if needed to accommodate) and with ID.

I voted in Iowa and had zero issues with showing my ID and voting. To act like this suppresses the vote is silly. I’m guessing that the Iowa iD rules had zero effect on voting numbers. I believe the midterm election set voting records so hard to see how someone could argue suppression.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT