ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City school bus drivers plan strike for first day of classes as negotiations "fall apart"

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
LOCAL

Iowa City school bus drivers plan strike for first day of classes as negotiations "fall apart"​

Ryan Hansen
Iowa City Press-Citizen

School buses in the Iowa City Community School District wait to pick up children after school, Monday, Sept. 28, 2020, at City High School in Iowa City, Iowa.

Bus drivers for the Iowa City Community School District, citing sexism and disrespect, plan to strike the day classes resume if negotiations aren't resolved.
The strike, set to begin Aug. 23, comes on the heels of failed contract talks between the North American Central School Bus, the drivers and their union, Teamsters Local 238. Discussions broke down Monday over alleged disrespect and sexism during negotiations, Iowa City City Councilor Andrew Dunn said at the Joint Entities Meeting.
He told the Press-Citizen that a tussle over a union-desired market rate adjustment for worker wages following the COVID-19 pandemic has also caused conflict. Market rate adjustments are typically the result of shifting market conditions, such as a shortage of bus drivers.

Jesse Case, the principal officer of Teamsters Local 238, told the Press-Citizen on Tuesday that the sides had returned to the table but remained far apart in negotiations. He could not comment further, given the ongoing negotiations.
The Iowa City Community School District did not immediately respond to requests for comment regarding the alleged sexism and disrespect. The district also did not respond when asked how they plan to bus children to and from school if the drivers strike.

In Iowa, a shortage of school bus drivers has led to longer rides for students and crowded buses, the Des Moines Register reported in 2022. One superintendent in the small northwest Iowa town of Remsen took matters into his own hands, getting behind the wheel to transport students to and from school late last year.

School districts struggling to find drivers​

In Des Moines, even the state’s largest district offering signing bonuses of $3,000 or more hasn’t been able to help move the needle and bring in enough drivers.

I'm not teaching longer into the summer. Let's cut some admin salaries (or better yet, more admin... or maybe not buy a massive building for said admin that they only take 1/10th of to occupy). Let's keep sticking it to bus drivers and paras who actually work with kids.

By the way. Our kids were total a holes to the drivers so I can see how we aren't really getting more drivers.

Last edited:
I will support this strike only if we see some hot bus driver boobs being flashed in a glorious display of solidarity.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
People are sick of being underpaid when others are making 5 to 10x in the same field. Income disparity fights are only going to get uglier.

Nurses, merit staff etc etc. It's all coming....
Did you even read the article? Iowa is in the Top 10 nationally in school bus driver pay.

Did you even read the article? Iowa is in the Top 10 nationally in school bus driver pay.
Looks like they are currently offering $19.00-22.75/hr. to start. Has benefits.
But, it's part time, and you have to pass the DOT physical and drug test. Minimal summer work available.
That's a very specific candidate they are looking for.

But, it's part time, and you have to pass the DOT physical and drug test. Minimal summer work available.
Actually it seems to me like the perfect supplemental income for a family with school-age children. It’s a pretty decent hourly wage and you don’t have to worry about child care because you only have to work on school days.

Another thing that trips people up (or has in the past, it may be changed now) but they also have to pass the chemical transport portion of the test, too. A lot of people get to that and say “ah, f**k it.”

Basically someone who's on disability or already retired. That's who can afford to do this job.

Actually it seems to me like the perfect supplemental income for a family with school-age children. It’s a pretty decent hourly wage and you don’t have to worry about child care because you only have to work on school days.
You mean like if your first job has extremely flexible hours or if you're in one of those families where only one spouse works? That's less common anymore.

You mean like if your first job has extremely flexible hours or if you're in one of those families where only one spouse works? That's less common anymore.
As in one of the two parents can drive a school bus and make $45,000 per year to supplement the other spouse’s income and not even have to worry about childcare.

As in one of the two parents can drive a school bus and make $45,000 per year to supplement the other spouse’s income and not even have to worry about childcare.

A family where only one spouse is working already usually doesn't need a second income.

Curious, how are you coming up with $45,000 a year in your scenario.

Curious, how are you coming up with $45,000 a year in your scenario.
I can’t access the OP’s linked article anymore because of the paywall, but before it blocked me I’m pretty sure it said the average annual salary for a full-time bus driver in Iowa is around $45K.

Whatever it is, it would be a nice supplemental income for a family with school-age kids. One of the biggest issues for families where both parents work is childcare. If you drive a school bus then you only have to work on days when school is in session. Problem solved.

That is low for the corridor. And I'd be curious what the actual benefits are.

Districts have got to accept that if they want a full driver's room, every day, they have to treat this part time job like a full time job. The total compensation package has to be that.

Otherwise, you're going to have a low headcount driver's room and be scrambling every day. You have to be able to attract literally everybody interested in a driver's job, not just retirees supplementing their retirement or half time people doing it as a morning or afternoon only side gig.

In short, you have to compensate it like a career. Or you be in forever "scramble mode".

You people here, unless you've done it in very recent years...you have NO IDEA how difficult a job being a bus driver for a large district is. You're a parent/guardian, teacher, counselor, mentor, enforcer/bouncer/referee - all at the same time - AND you're driving around a city/suburb full of parents scrambling to work/dropping off kids at school, other students with a phone pressed to their ear, and all the other rush hour to/from work traffic, etc...basically about the worst traffic setup imaginable.

All the while with 40 to 70 of YOUR kids/grandkids - who you've entrusted with their lives - riding along.

I've lost count how many times I've heard - from parents to friends to teachers/coaches - say to me "I don't know how you do it".

I've had "people jobs" my entire life and this is BY FAR the most difficult one I've had. Not really even close.

I can’t access the OP’s linked article anymore because of the paywall, but before it blocked me I’m pretty sure it said the average annual salary for a full-time bus driver in Iowa is around $45K.

Whatever it is, it would be a nice supplemental income for a family with school-age kids. One of the biggest issues for families where both parents work is childcare. If you drive a school bus then you only have to work on days when school is in session. Problem solved.

You have to drive 40 hours every week to get to that level - and get a lot of summer trips added on to round out the calendar. At most, maybe 1-2 drivers out of a hundred actually drive that much.

My district has between 50-100 drivers, and not one has a full time schedule. I averaged 33 hours per week last school year (36 weeks roughly), and I had to hustle activity trips galore to get to that. My regular schedule was roughly 28 hrs/week.

This summer, I've gotten about 5 hours a week in sports trips (all us summer drivers are getting that). Then, your average small town driver is lucky to get 20 hours per week during the school year. Most drivers even at larger districts rarely average more than 25 hours as far as their regular schedule.

I seem to recall Solon was advertising $30/hr recently because they had a bunch of drivers leaving. Sounds great, right? Their regular weekly schedule is approximately 15 hours per week give or take.

No friggin' wonder they needed to pump that rate up to $30/hr.

The childcare is the ridiculous bus behavior. Most of you couldn’t handle it.

It really is something people have to do long term (say, an entire school year) to understand. Like I say, even the teachers I know fairly well tell me they don't know how we do it.

You drive for College Community or CR?

I have driven for 4 different districts, and have driven for both of these in the recent past.

Right now, I don't know who I will be driving for this fall, if at all. I've got ulnar nerve entrapment issues in both my elbows, especially my right elbow. Best way to describe it is I have numbness in both hands and it sometimes gets to the point where the pain wakes me up at night.

From a driving perspective, I sometimes have issues holding onto things that require a firm grip. This explains why I can no longer play golf (can't grip the club firm enough), can't play guitar for more than a few minutes, etc. And at times this pain REALLY bothers me when driving. I was hoping simple rest this summer was going to help (even been wearing gizmos to keep my arms straight while I sleep), but unfortunately that's not the case - and for some idiot reason it began getting really bad in late June. So, tests/x-rays galore the past few weeks.

The ONLY thing that really works is not bending my arms...tough to drive a school bus doing that.

I find out tomorrow what surgery they're going to do, and what surgery they do will determine when/if I can come back to drive. But I have to pass the DOT physical to do that obviously. Best guess is I pretty much know I won't begin driving when school reopens, and if I can come back I won't really know for certain when. I was hoping I could in the interim be an aid on my bus if I couldn't drive, but even that looks unlikely if I'm splinted or casted up.

I just don't know how this all is going to turn out...I'm hopeful, but I also know nerves are funny things when it comes to surgeries. Last week I had my last summer trip. Pretty emotional because one of my regular route kids was on it. "You're coming back this fall, right?"

"That's the plan"...felt terrible saying that.

I have driven for 4 different districts, and have driven for both of these in the recent past.

Right now, I don't know who I will be driving for this fall, if at all. I've got ulnar nerve entrapment issues in both my elbows, especially my right elbow. Best way to describe it is I have numbness in both hands and it sometimes gets to the point where the pain wakes me up at night.

From a driving perspective, I sometimes have issues holding onto things that require a firm grip. This explains why I can no longer play golf (can't grip the club firm enough), can't play guitar for more than a few minutes, etc. And at times this pain REALLY bothers me when driving. I was hoping simple rest this summer was going to help (even been wearing gizmos to keep my arms straight while I sleep), but unfortunately that's not the case - and for some idiot reason it began getting really bad in late June. So, tests/x-rays galore the past few weeks.

The ONLY thing that really works is not bending my arms...tough to drive a school bus doing that.

I find out tomorrow what surgery they're going to do, and what surgery they do will determine when/if I can come back to drive. But I have to pass the DOT physical to do that obviously. Best guess is I pretty much know I won't begin driving when school reopens, and if I can come back I won't really know for certain when. I was hoping I could in the interim be an aid on my bus if I couldn't drive, but even that looks unlikely if I'm splinted or casted up.

I just don't know how this all is going to turn out...I'm hopeful, but I also know nerves are funny things when it comes to surgeries. Last week I had my last summer trip. Pretty emotional because one of my regular route kids was on it. "You're coming back this fall, right?"

"That's the plan"...felt terrible saying that.
Have you tried alpha lipoic acid?

Reactions: Pinehawk
If the pay is so unfair, why don't they simply quit and go to work somewhere else?

I simply do not understand this union goon mentality and why so many Americans applaud it.

Quitting would have a much greater impact than striking. Freaking morons.

And for the poster above who mentioned nurses? Freaking LOL... people are THROWING money at nurses right now. They can write their own ticket. Maybe these disgruntled bus drivers should become nurses?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Ree4 and Wendy79
You should try it for neural damage.

Yeah, I read up on it after you mentioned it. I'll ask the surgeon tomorrow about it.

Reactions: Pinehawk

You can get a lot more by driving teams to away games.

In Iowa, from what my long-time teacher mom told me, it is illegal for teachers to strike. I wonder if the state would try to make something like that happen for other education oriented unions if it isn’t in place already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT