ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa recruiting thread.

Askren all but admitted on FRL that Mesinbrick is going to PSU; they also referenced Nagao to PSU so any wishful thinking on those two can probably go out the door.
This is turning into the off-season from hell. It’s starting to feel like repeated kicks to the nuts.

First psu recruits all top ten guys. Then they recruit high all American established wrestlers. Best part is, no one transfers out aside from the former 197. Does this seem odd to anyone else or is it just me? Should we not be seeing a mass exodus of young guys at 133 and 184-97? What kind of Shang ra la happy cult is Cale freaking running over there.

Won’t be many more..
Clock Tick Tock GIF by MOODMAN

I think we are desperate for good news at this point.

Askren all but admitted on FRL that Mesinbrick is going to PSU; they also referenced Nagao to PSU so any wishful thinking on those two can probably go out the door.
So everyone is going to F*** st I guess?

I believe it was Maryland Lax that had 18 transfers(could have been rutgers?) in any case. This is what has been created. All good/great athlete enter the portal. See what is offered? Go to a top school!!! The rich will get richer and the poor will sink into hell!

IOWA better get in the rich group real quick!

Reactions: TarpHawk
This is turning into the off-season from hell. It’s starting to feel like repeated kicks to the nuts.

First psu recruits all top ten guys. Then they recruit high all American established wrestlers. Best part is, no one transfers out aside from the former 197. Does this seem odd to anyone else or is it just me? Should we not be seeing a mass exodus of young guys at 133 and 184-97? What kind of Shang ra la happy cult is Cale freaking running over there.
That’s what I always wondered, how they can recruit so many blue chips at a weight, and the guys who get beat out waste their careers as bench cheerleaders. Something stinks there. With the way they are now stacked at the lowest 2 weights for years, why would Nagao want to go there???

Reactions: IRONBIRD
That’s what I always wondered, how they can recruit so many blue chips at a weight, and the guys who get beat out waste their careers as bench cheerleaders. Something stinks there. With the way they are now stacked at the lowest 2 weights for years, why would Nagao want to go there???
The weights usually sort themselves out. They've mostly fit guys in. Can't think of anybody good who "wasted" their career on the bench.

And they aren't stacked at the two lowest weights. Those are their two major holes, especially 133. That's why Nagao would want to go there. Zero guys on the roster or coming in projected at his weight on Nagao's level.

Why not concentrate on making IC as attractive to recruits as PSU has apparently already accomplished?

Pointing fingers at winning efforts that are pulling away from the pack and sucking on lemons will get us nowhere.

Look at their roster and tell me who should be transferring out.

Baylor Shunk? Timothy Levine? Only 133's on the roster behind RBY. Levko Higgins and Lucas Cochran? Those are the 184's Truax replaces. Barraclough? Probably their best back up, but a walk on who has been in legit spot battles the last 3 years. Why would he leave?

Guys, they don't have depth. The one good guy who got recruited over transferred out. The rest of their back ups are normal room guys, the same kind of guys that fill Iowa's roster too (every roster for that matter).

Why not concentrate on making IC as attractive to recruits as PSU has apparently already accomplished?

Pointing fingers at winning efforts that are pulling away from the pack and sucking on lemons will get us nowhere.
Who the hell is pointing fingers.

Baylor Shunk? Timothy Levine? Only 133's on the roster behind RBY. Levko Higgins and Lucas Cochran? Those are the 184's Truax replaces. Barraclough? Probably their best back up, but a walk on who has been in legit spot battles the last 3 years. Why would he leave?

Guys, they don't have depth. The one good guy who got recruited over transferred out. The rest of their back ups are normal room guys, the same kind of guys that fill Iowa's roster too (every roster for that matter).
If messenbrink goes there Facundo should transfer. I’m sure psu would accept that trade off. But messenbrink has four years of eligibility, and there are additional middle weight studs coming.

Nagao is a three year guy. Didn’t psu just recruit two or three light weights in the past year?

Truax is a one year guy. Brooks and or star must be taking an Olympic. Barr is also on his way.

You say weights work themselves out and I generally agree, but they are starting to have quite the log jam. How many stud wrestlers are gonna be taking gray and red shirts to get into this lineup? It’s a good problem to have, but now it seems like they have their cake and are eating the shit out of it too.

If messenbrink goes there Facundo should transfer. I’m sure psu would accept that trade off. But messenbrink has four years of eligibility, and there are additional middle weight studs coming.

Nagao is a three year guy. Didn’t psu just recruit two or three light weights in the past year?

Truax is a one year guy. Brooks and or star must be taking an Olympic. Barr is also on his way.

You say weights work themselves out and I generally agree, but they are starting to have quite the log jam. How many stud wrestlers are gonna be taking gray and red shirts to get into this lineup? It’s a good problem to have, but now it seems like they have their cake and are eating the shit out of it too.
1) This would create a log jam for sure, but it hasn't happened yet. If it does, I bet Facundo leaves eventually. Who cares? They upgrade and free up scholarship money. Win-win.

2) Lilledahl is a 125 prospect. Also still a junior, so good chance he doesn't start until Nagao's final year. They have Davis from Michigan too. Also a 125 prospect, but not an elite recruit. Then Howard of course, but he can't stay healthy.

3) Brooks will be at 197 and Starocci at 174. Truax fits in perfectly. Barr takes over the next year at 184 after a redshirt.

You aren't making a new observation. Hawk fans have been saying this for nearly a decade. It never becomes a problem for them. And with the portal, it never will be either. The stakes for not winning a spot have never been lower. You can transfer out with no penalty.

Thank god, Iowa is adapting the same approach. You can never be too good at recruiting.

It use to be all about 9.5 schollys and camp money. With NIL it is all about the money. Iowa's new facility is great but it comes down to NIL $$$$. Just that simple.

Reactions: tigerguy_
So everyone is going to F*** st I guess?

I believe it was Maryland Lax that had 18 transfers(could have been rutgers?) in any case. This is what has been created. All good/great athlete enter the portal. See what is offered? Go to a top school!!! The rich will get richer and the poor will sink into hell!

IOWA better get in the rich group real quick!
Iowa finished 2nd and since Sanderson started they've averaged a 3rd place finish I think. You're one of the rich kids lol.

It literally didn't though in this case.

Money will be a factor, but the production is and will always be king.
Yep, I'm not as plugged in as some, it's only the last few years that I've been aware of the wrestling clubs for example. I was pretty surprised when I saw guys like Kyle Snyder and Kyle Dake end up there for example.

It use to be all about 9.5 schollys and camp money. With NIL it is all about the money. Iowa's new facility is great but it comes down to NIL $$$$. Just that simple.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^****^

Yep, I'm not as plugged in as some, it's only the last few years that I've been aware of the wrestling clubs for example. I was pretty surprised when I saw guys like Kyle Snyder and Kyle Dake end up there for example.
I don't think it was about money with those two. They were both making plenty. They left for the training situation.

Snyder had really stalled and was trying to get over the Sadulaev hump. Lou Roselli had left. Pretty sure he reached out to Cael. Dake is best friends with DT and was down there to train all the time. His main training partner left Cornell (Dean) and then Koll left. That was a gradual move over the course of a few years.

Just wanted to mention David Evans as a high-end back up. Don’t know if he can make 133 again but he’s a legit R16 or better backup at 141. Not a high level recruit out of high school, but has beaten NQs in college. Lost to only Bartlett and Cornella, both in SV, last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Spill it for all of us not in the know. Hate when people speculate but don't have the huevos to be specific. It's just BS without specifics.
I can’t have any idea exactly who he’s taking about. I don’t know who he is. But my guess is he’s talking about Angelo Ferrari and that’s not a surprise to anyone.

The weights usually sort themselves out. They've mostly fit guys in. Can't think of anybody good who "wasted" their career on the bench.

And they aren't stacked at the two lowest weights. Those are their two major holes, especially 133. That's why Nagao would want to go there. Zero guys on the roster or coming in projected at his weight on Nagao's level.
So all the lightweight recruits you have coming in and Howard are career 125?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT