ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State just reloaded..

Remove this past season, and TJ had a pretty good run at South Dakota State and UNLV.

This past season, UNLV had a long shut down early on with COVID, and they lost their starting PG early, and it just never got real pretty in 20-21.

TJ has been so awesome of a coach at SDSU and UNLV that he has ZERO NCAA TOURNAMENT WINS.

But clown fans believe it and demand we believe it as well.

Because they say so.

Remove this past season, and TJ had a pretty good run at South Dakota State and UNLV.

This past season, UNLV had a long shut down early on with COVID, and they lost their starting PG early, and it just never got real pretty in 20-21.

I could have coached a Mike Daum led SDSU team to a lot of wins.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
That is my point. Ok great. We have older players. Um OK. I don’t care how old they are as long as we win within the rules. Didn’t they have some forward that was on like his 3-4 team last year that could have come back? Who cares? Kentucky and Duke (and I am surely not comparing Iowa to them overall of course) were very young this year. I mean ISU is currently taking a bunch of transfers who have played years already in college. But my God I wouldn’t spend a Saturday night looking up their birth certificates.

Having older players is a distinct advantage in college basketball. This isn't the NBA I don't care how old people are because I'm not concerned about them as a prospect. I'm with you - utterly inconsequential.

But you are losing 4 of your top 5 scorers including a guy TJ let the team vote off who ended up at Gonzaga. You really think Kalscheur/Brockington/Grill/Enaruma is an upgrade from Bolton/JCL/Harris/Young?

I think the total of the players ISU lost is less than what they gained, but again for next season it's kind of inconsequential. It's about putting a not god awful team on the floor next year and building for TJ's second year.

Not a Duke fan, but its a good thing (for them) they didn't subscribe to HerkyFan's approach to hiring coaches. Prior to coming to Duke, his record was 73-49 (.598) at Army. I don't think he ever won a tournament game.

When Fran moves on from Iowa, I suspect they will be in the same boat as ISU in terms of hiring a coach.

Perhaps the AD will talk with HerkyFan for some advice on hiring.

I expect the same tired copy + paste HerkyFan response.

Not a Duke fan, but its a good thing (for them) they didn't subscribe to HerkyFan's approach to hiring coaches. Prior to coming to Duke, his record was 73-49 (.598) at Army. I don't think he ever won a tournament game.

When Fran moves on from Iowa, I suspect they will be in the same boat as ISU in terms of hiring a coach.

Perhaps the AD will talk with HerkyFan for some advice on hiring.

I expect the same tired copy + paste HerkyFan response.

First, I wouldn't expect the Iowa AD to go hire his/her drinking buddy when it is time to replace Fran.

Second, the last Iowa coach to be hired that had not won an NCAA tournament game before coming to Iowa was Lute Olson.

Reactions: HerkyFan
Having older players is a distinct advantage in college basketball. This isn't the NBA I don't care how old people are because I'm not concerned about them as a prospect. I'm with you - utterly inconsequential.
Having GOOD older players is an advantage. You started a 5th year senior, another senior, and 3 Juniors this past season.

So by your logic no team should ever take a coach based on any reason other than the previous season's record.

Scary when people on here agree with Herky.
Seriously, how can you be stupid enough to come to this conclusion? If you're a power 5 team, you probably shouldn't be taking a coach with a losing record from not Power 5 teams. I could just imagine you're presence here if Iowa just took in a coach from the Mountain West, who just went 29-30 the last two years. You bash Fran for taking Iowa to NCAA tournaments 6 of the last 8 years, but turn around and pretend TJ coming in with a losing record, in a worse conference, is a good hire. That's all I'm saying, figure out what the F*** you care about if you're going to be a troll.
Now, he may be a good hire in 1-2 years, none of us know, but what we do know, is that his resume, right now(which is where we are at in time), isn't very good. That's it, accept it and move on. There is no valid argument to say that this TJ hire, right now, looks good.

• Haha
Reactions: weeterkane
Totally agree. I guess like you confused why ISU fans (some) would troll on the age of the Iowa line-ups. Play your best eligible players to try and win.

Totally agree. I guess like you confused why ISU fans (some) would troll on the age of the Iowa line-ups. Play your best eligible players to try and win.
I'm not sure why they are trolling. Wasn't Deandre Kane 24 when he played at Iowa State?

And IA has never been excited about incoming recruits only to be disappointed. By the way, Foster was never healthy and shut it down after 7 games. Too soon to label him a disappointment.

Would be interesting to see IA fans explain how they are going to avoid a collapse from last year. I think you’d see many of the optimistic projections on individual players that you’re seeing from ISU fans. It’s called being a fan.
Dude...you are looking for isu validation on a Hawkeye board...give it up, it just isn’t going to happen.

I'm not sure why they are trolling. Wasn't Deandre Kane 24 when he played at Iowa State?
No clue why the troll. But they posted the entire Iowa roster with birthdates. Wow what a boring life to look it up. Once again, who cares?

Seriously, how can you be stupid enough to come to this conclusion? If you're a power 5 team, you probably shouldn't be taking a coach with a losing record from not Power 5 teams. I could just imagine you're presence here if Iowa just took in a coach from the Mountain West, who just went 29-30 the last two years. You bash Fran for taking Iowa to NCAA tournaments 6 of the last 8 years, but turn around and pretend TJ coming in with a losing record, in a worse conference, is a good hire. That's all I'm saying, figure out what the F*** you care about if you're going to be a troll.
Now, he may be a good hire in 1-2 years, none of us know, but what we do know, is that his resume, right now(which is where we are at in time), isn't very good. That's it, accept it and move on. There is no valid argument to say that this TJ hire, right now, looks good.

Do you have any idea where your football coach came from, and the record he previously had?

Not at all. Farentz had a losing record at a non power 5 school. That's what I was responding to, what's hard to comprehend about that?

He finished at Maine in 1992 and didn't start at Iowa until 1999. The 7 years in-between he was in the NFL.

How is that remotely comparable to a guy who spent no time in professional coaching?

Additionally, his first two seasons at Maine were 3-8. He finished 6-5 in his 3rd and final season.

You're an absolute moron.

• Haha
Reactions: weeterkane
I think the point is that having a less than stellar record at a previous stop doesn't disqualify you from going on to better things.

Obviously Ferentz was a good coach to go from Maine (even with a 12-21 record) to the NFL.

Maybe, just maybe TJ will go on to better things at ISU. Time will tell.

HerkyFan + others will copy + paste something about "clowns", "no NCAA wins", $10M, and "drinking buddies". Thats fine. Underneath their middle school insults lie a touch of fear + jealousy.

I think the point is that having a less than stellar record at a previous stop doesn't disqualify you from going on to better things.

Obviously Ferentz was a good coach to go from Maine (even with a 12-21 record) to the NFL.

Maybe, just maybe TJ will go on to better things at ISU. Time will tell.

HerkyFan + others will copy + paste something about "clowns", "no NCAA wins", $10M, and "drinking buddies". Thats fine. Underneath their middle school insults lie a touch of fear + jealousy.

I think any reasonable person would comprehend that going immediately from a losing record UNLV to ISU would not have happened without a prior connection to ISU and them being stuck with Prohm's buyout.

Kirk was hired at Iowa after serving as associate head coach of the Baltimore Ravens the year before.

Apples and oranges doesn't do your comparison justice. It's zucchini and pears.

Ferentz also didn't go backwards while at Maine. He went from 3-8 and finished 6-5.

Do you have any idea where your football coach came from, and the record he previously had?
And I hated the hire. Hated it! With that being said, the two situations differ tremendously. KF was coming from the NFL under the coaching of the greatest mind in football today, not from a losing record in the Mountain West. Again, TJ could be great, he could suck, we don't know anything except RIGHT NOW, it doesn't look like a great hire.

And I hated the hire. Hated it! With that being said, the two situations differ tremendously. KF was coming from the NFL under the coaching of the greatest mind in football today, not from a losing record in the Mountain West. Again, TJ could be great, he could suck, we don't know anything except RIGHT NOW, it doesn't look like a great hire.

Ted Marchibroda is the greatest mind in football today?

]
There were a bunch of Cyclone Fans that absolutely hated the TJ hire too. A lot still do. His recruiting the last few months has calmed them a bit. But there are a good number of ppl who don't like it still.

Jizzer, you are simply looking at numbers.

Take out this past season. He had a lot of turnover to start with, COVID derailed the team for about 3 weeks early on, and his starting point guard got hurt.

Beyond that, look at SDSU and UNLV and he was doing fine.

I've said this before--Ames isn't the sexiest place on earth. (I love the town, and I'd retire there, but that's because of my ISU ties.)

A chunk of the battle is getting someone (and spouse) who want to be there. Both TJ and his wife want to be there.

We could have hired "D1 retread" A, B or C for millions of dollars...then they become successful...and leave.

TJ has a history of recruiting well at ISU. He loves Ames. He did well at SDSU and UNLV, other than last season.

The hire make sense to me. Time will tell.

Take out this past season. He had a lot of turnover to start with, COVID derailed the team for about 3 weeks early on, and his starting point guard got hurt.

I've said this before--Ames isn't the sexiest place on earth. (I love the town, and I'd retire there, but that's because of my ISU ties.)

A chunk of the battle is getting someone (and spouse) who want to be there. Both TJ and his wife want to be there.

We could have hired "D1 retread" A, B or C for millions of dollars...then they become successful...and leave.

TJ has a history of recruiting well at ISU. He loves Ames. He did well at SDSU and UNLV, other than last season.

What was he doing fine at UNLV? He was 17-15 in year 1 and 12-15 last year. I would argue his two seasons at UNLV were a bust.

He was fine at SDSU but also inherited an All American and failed to win any tournament games in 3 post season appearances, including the NIT.

He was essentially a homer hire. That can't really be debated. He was not an impressive candidate to other P5 programs.

Comparing his status as a candidate to KF would be obtuse. KF came from the NFL ranks progressing from OL coach to an associate head coach. That's a far cry from the summit league and mountain west.

Reactions: TrianglePlace

TJ hasn't shown he can build a program. The ISU program is going to require a massive rebuild.

He walked into SDSU with Mike Daum sitting there with 3 years of eligibility left.

I'll admit I'm concerned about his time at UNLV.

That said, that's the only knock on him not being a good hire. There are a lot of very encouraging things about his hire and I think there are perfectly valid arguments as to why the hire is good.

What was he doing fine at UNLV? He was 17-15 in year 1 and 12-15 last year. I would argue his two seasons at UNLV were a bust.

He was fine at SDSU but also inherited an All American and failed to win any tournament games in 3 post season appearances, including the NIT.

He was essentially a homer hire. That can't really be debated. He was not an impressive candidate to other P5 programs.

Comparing his status as a candidate to KF would be obtuse. KF came from the NFL ranks progressing from OL coach to an associate head coach. That's a far cry from the summit league and mountain west.

Look, neither of us is going to win this debate until we know 3-4 years from now, unless something drastic in either direction happens this upcoming season or next season.

Like I said, I like the hire.

But, hell, I live in Milwaukee and I thought the Bucks were nuts to draft Giannis...

TJ hasn't shown he can build a program. The ISU program is going to require a massive rebuild.

He walked into SDSU with Mike Daum sitting there with 3 years of eligibility left.
I was not real happy the way the hiring process seemed to happen, i say seemed to because i don't really know all the facts, but didn't seem that Pollard gave a lot of effort into looking at other people and hired his buddy. That said he has shown that he hasn't lost his energy and abilities in recruiting so far, I am hoping the assistants he hired are good. But the reality is we were awful last year, he can't do worse. There wasn't a lot of money to spend, he will likely stay if he does well, and it does seem he can bring in some talent. So now if he can do something with talent he gets it could turn out to be good. As a fan you have to be optimistic, or life is depressing. I think we will know in about 3 years if it was a good hire or not.

Reactions: KirksFupa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT