ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Eastern Illinois game thread*****

It is what it is... anyone half realistic knew this roster wasn't going to compete consistently enough especially with KM and cmac out. I love cmac, but when he's one of your best players it doesn't bode well for a long big 10 season

There will be games when this team shoots lights out (iowa state) and it hides some of the weaknesses. But when there are no replacements for FR...and can't rely on PS or Ulis...you are left with 5 guys and it's not enough on these bad shooting/defensive days
This is exactly right. The team is too flawed to play with any sort of consistency. They are basically a one-trick pony. If 3s aren’t falling, they’re trash. And defense is obviously an afterthought.

This will always be Iowa basketball under Fran.

I root hard for Sandfort...but at the end of the day, you gotta put the ball through the hoop. I don't think has the talent in front court to be a sweet16 team even after Kris gets healthy.

Gotta put the ball in the hole, but defense and all around LAZINESS is the issue today.

Fran is never going to focus on defense, so only so far that we are EVER going to go.

This is exactly right. The team is too flawed to play with any sort of consistency. They are basically a one-trick pony. If 3s aren’t falling, they’re trash. And defense is obviously an afterthought.

The team isn’t trash when they compete on defense and it was evident that they did not today

Reactions: LuteHawk
It is what it is... anyone half realistic knew this roster wasn't going to compete consistently enough especially with KM and cmac out. I love cmac, but when he's one of your best players it doesn't bode well for a long big 10 season

There will be games when this team shoots lights out (iowa state) and it hides some of the weaknesses. But when there are no replacements for FR...and can't rely on PS or Ulis...you are left with 5 guys and it's not enough on these bad shooting/defensive days
Yes, but 83 ought to get it done against Eastern Illinos.

This is really a shocking upset. But, it's not necessarily indicative of this team for the rest of the year. I hope.

Yep I've lost faith in Fran to do any better than he's already shown. He needs to hit the transfer portal hard but honestly I doubt it happens

Was at work + don’t have a BTN+ subscription so fortunately didn’t have to suffer through watching that and am not as upset as I would have been if I did. Going to be a potentially critical loss come tournament time though... like Quad 4 loss. This is a game that Perkins and Patrick should have dominated and both sucked. The entire defense sucks for giving up 90 points on only six 3 pointers
This is almost as low of a quad 4 loss as you can have. Also I'm not sure if the defense was measurably worse than any other game, the laziness rears it's head almost every week but when shots aren't falling it's even more noticeable.

Definitely 2/4, but my post was mostly facetious, james.

I would like to read what @curtisj57 thinks of this Iowa team and their performance, though. 😝
Looks more like a Pottery Barn company picnic pickup basketball game team. People laughed when I predicted 12+ losses for this bunch. Our b-ball program remains an absolute joke.

Sandfort
2/9 from 3. Really lighting the world on fire
I mentioned in the last game when some thought he'd been "fixed", his jump shot stroke looks terrible. He's turning his whole body sideways perpendicular to the basket. There's no way someone can shoot a good percentage with consistency like that. I'm not sure when he started doing that, but they need to sit him down and watch his form on the jumper. Its really bad right now...

Reactions: Buffalo43 and KcTo

If only Jack were a little older and we could get all three McCaffery's into the starting lineup at same time it might put us over the top.

This team will be better when CMAC is back, assuming hiis career year shooting continues. Add in Kris Murray and we probably have a 0.500 B1G team, on bubble and even if they get to NCAA tourney 1 and done or win 1, blown out in 2nd round.

This is almost as low of a quad 4 loss as you can have. Also I'm not sure if the defense was measurably worse than any other game, the laziness rears it's head almost every week but when shots aren't falling it's even more noticeable.
Well the loss is Q4 right now, but in theory that could change if E Illinois were to win out. Will likely end up as Q4 loss though

The defense was measurably worse than EVERY other game this season. Iowa hadn’t given up 80 points yet this year and just gave up 91. Even more impressive is that EIU did it while only making six threes. What that tells me is that nobody was playing perimeter defense. I was following along and there was a point in the second half where EIU was dunking at will

Lastly, Iowa’s shooting has been mediocre outside of the Iowa State game pretty much all season. It’s an ongoing problem, and we won’t win much when the defense is as bad as it was tonight

Pottery Barn company team would have beat IA today. Pathetic...
Probably most days. This team would not finish in the top five of the West Des Moines YMCA league. Over 400 4* players available over the past 4 years and this is the best talent we can attract?!?!! Just close down the program and start a girls curling team that might be more competitive. This b-ball program has been an absolute disgrace for 30 years.

This team is not a good shooting team. They will have a game here and there where they make a lot of shots but that will be an anomaly for this group. They have to decide if they want to play defense all the time or not. They gave up around 11 dunks. That is horrendous.

Well the loss is Q4 right now, but in theory that could change if E Illinois were to win out. Will likely end up as Q4 loss though

The defense was measurably worse than EVERY other game this season. Iowa hadn’t given up 80 points yet this year and just gave up 91. Even more impressive is that EIU did it while only making six threes. What that tells me is that nobody was playing perimeter defense. I was following along and there was a point in the second half where EIU was dunking at will

Lastly, Iowa’s shooting has been mediocre outside of the Iowa State game pretty much all season. It’s an ongoing problem, and we won’t win much when the defense is as bad as it was tonight
Fair, I'm so used to the complete lack of effort on that end that it didn't strike me as odd.

Fair, I'm so used to the complete lack of effort on that end that it didn't strike me as odd.
This team can be better than other Fran teams at that end of the court… but only if they want to. Ulis and Perkins should both be stoppers, but it sounds like EIU’s guards were running circles around them

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
This team can be better than other Fran teams at that end of the court… but only if they want to. Ulis and Perkins should both be stoppers, but it sounds like EIU’s guards were running circles around them
Most of the second half they didn't even have anyone in the vicinity due to everyone watching a miss on the offensive end and allowing a dunk contest the other way.

Unfortunately this is true. I’m not sure what it is with Fran? Either he doesn’t emphasize defense or he and coaches can’t effectively teach it. Teams don’t make runs in March unless they play defense. At some point your offense will be off and the fundamentals of rebounding and defense will be needed to gut out a win. Fran coached teams seem to play good defense every once in a while then completely stop. It is what it is. One and done in the Big Dance or NIT.

Probably most days. This team would not finish in the top five of the West Des Moines YMCA league. Over 400 4* players available over the past 4 years and this is the best talent we can attract?!?!! Just close down the program and start a girls curling team that might be more competitive. This b-ball program has been an absolute disgrace for 30 years.
Ladies and Gentlemen, your Iowa Hawkeye's Men's Basketball Team..

https://fansided.com/2018/02/22/oly...womens-semifinal-sweden-great-britain-online/

Looks more like a Pottery Barn company picnic pickup basketball game team. People laughed when I predicted 12+ losses for this bunch. Our b-ball program remains an absolute joke.
I wish Fran would recruit well rounded players and understood the value of defense and how to coach it. I wish he didn't embarrass the program with his psychotic temper tantrums when his team's play can't overcome inevitable bad calls.

But you're delusional if you think 4 straight ncaa bids in the big ten is a joke. They are clearly above mediocre and like the football team that's golden with everyone in the U of I athletic dept. As long as the Pennsylvanian coaches and Gary have job security that's all that really matters

It’s the definition of insanity

we saw the same thing vs Richmind and Wisconsin, ridiculously soft interior defense, little attempt to go inside, and play the same guys 35 minutes and wonder why they can’t shot 3’s…

the bench was 3-7, (2-4) 3 Rebounds 2 Assist 2 TO, in 25 minutes

what the hell,was Fran playing the other guys 35 minutes?

this Is another in game coaching error

I thought I was missing out by this game being on +, but turns out I dodged a bullet by not having to pay to watch it!

But seriously though, not the way you want to end the OOC sked against a directional school - that isn't even part of the MAC - by being a big footnote on betting lines history!!

woof.

It’s the definition of insanity

we saw the same thing vs Richmind and Wisconsin, ridiculously soft interior defense, little attempt to go inside, and play the same guys 35 minutes and wonder why they can’t shot 3’s…

the bench was 3-7, (2-4) 3 Rebounds 2 Assist 2 TO, in 25 minutes

what the hell,was Fran playing the other guys 35 minutes?

this Is another in game coaching error
You’re citing predominantly offensive stats when Iowa should beat Eastern Illinois 11/10 times when scoring 83 points

Reactions: KcTo
You’re citing predominantly offensive stats when Iowa should beat Eastern Illinois 11/10 times when scoring 83 points
Fran played 5 guys all but 9min of 2h and they gave up 55 And > 70% FGA%.

even a jv jr. high coach would put some fresh legs in to rest these guys…. Inexplicable

Reactions: skydog0784
They really gave up 92 points to Eastern Illinois!?!?

gawwwwd damm!

Score 83 points against a directional school on your home floor, and yet lose by 9.

I'm trying here Fran, but you gotta give me a little something to work with. Offense-only gameplans every time out can only get you so far.

They really gave up 92 points to Eastern Illinois!?!?

gawwwwd damm!

Score 83 points against a directional school on your home floor, and yet lose by 9.

I'm trying here Fran, but you gotta give me a little something to work with. Offense-only gameplans every time out can only get you so far.
Worse…allows
  • 55 in 2H
  • 72.2% FG%
  • out scored 32-14 in paint
  • out scored 19-2 in fast break
but Fran decides to reward the same guys 111 of 120 2H minutes for this.

my God if this doesn’t call for a line change ….
what a historic blunder

Unfortunately this is true. I’m not sure what it is with Fran? Either he doesn’t emphasize defense or he and coaches can’t effectively teach it. Teams don’t make runs in March unless they play defense. At some point your offense will be off and the fundamentals of rebounding and defense will be needed to gut out a win. Fran coached teams seem to play good defense every once in a while then completely stop. It is what it is. One and done in the Big Dance or NIT.
We never have under Fran. He's not the answer. Isn't it obvious by now this guy can't get it done?

Reactions: RomanHawk
Its obvious Fran doesn't prioritize defense as a necessary part of winning.

He has almost never penalized a player with reduced pt for bad defense, especially if the player is a scorer.

Compare that with how he treats turnovers.

If Fran treated defense like he treats turnovers his teams wouldn't always suck a defense.

• Love
Reactions: littlez and KcTo
Its obvious Fran doesn't prioritize defense as a necessary part of winning.

He has almost never penalized a player with reduced pt for bad defense, especially if the player is a scorer.

Compare that with how he treats turnovers.

If Fran treated defense like he treats turnovers his teams wouldn't always suck a defense.
especially if the player is a scorer. (Or shooter, or last starts wi Mc)

agree on Frans coaching tenet of emphasis on Offense of 3 point shooting and little PT for defenders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT