ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Post Game Analysis: Northwestern

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
After back to back losses and Petras starting off the same way he always does (3 and out after 3 and out) a miracle happened. Halfway through the 1st quarter, Petras threw yet another two bouncer on 3rd down to end a drive. Kirk must have realized he was at a crossroads. What was once a 6-0 team was looking like it could reasonably finish the season 6-6. Kirk went against tendency (for once,) benched the union card starter, and gave the Hawks a much needed spark. The Hawks won 17-12 despite some of the worst play calling in the Ferentz era.

1. More clock management blunders. Kirk and crew have had more clock management blunders than any staff in college football. That's not even debatable. This time, it happened both at the end of the first and second halves. First, the Hawks were riding the hot hand of their new QB, who had completed 12 of 16. With 1 minute to go and 2 timeouts left, the Hawks had the ball on their own 40. What happens next? Brian calls a run up the middle. 1 yard gain. This caused Matt Millan to gasp and ask what the hell staff could be thinking. Clock continues to run. Instead of calling timeout, the Hawks lollygag up to the line all discombobulated, run 25 seconds off the clock, then inexplicably call timeout right before the play clock expires?! What? Despite having all the momentum in the world, Iowa ended the half with first down at Northwestern's 35 yard line as the clock expires. The $4M man and his million dollar meat head son undoubtedly cost the team points with their clock management issues.

2. Padilla Vindicates the Bench Petras Crowd. Fans clamoring for the staff to bench the NCAA's 116th rated QB in favor of a guy who had a Georgia offer are just ignorant fools, right? "The coaches see them play in practice and they never make the wrong call at QB," right? Well, it took a phantom "injury" for Padilla to finally see his first meaningful action in 2 years and he already appeared light years ahead of the guy with 15 starts under his belt. Padilla finished 18/28 for 172 and 4 drops. More importantly, Petras proved he can actually run Iowa's bread and butter play action offense. Never before has a QB been too immobile to run play action, but Petras is. Aside from his mobility, Padilla's passes seemed more crisp, he was better able to hit players in stride, and he actually threw the ball down the field instead of relying on 2 yard passes to the tight end. If he's not starting next week, there's going to be a mutiny on the roster and in the stands.

3. More play calling blunders. We all saw the inexplicable back to back QB sneaks for no gain on 3rd and 4th down against Purdue that cost the game. We then saw the back to back fullback dives that couldn't pick up 1 yard against Wisconsin. This week, it was the repeated mindless runs up the middle on 3rd and 8, knowing there was no chance of picking up the first down. The Hawks finished just 2 for 14 on 3rd down against possibly the worst defense they've faced all year. The feather in Brian's play calling cap came at the end of the game. The Hawks were nursing a 5 point lead with 2 minutes to play. Brian dials up 3 straight runs up the middle for no gain, running a grand total of just 10 seconds off the clock. The Hawks gave Northwestern every possibility to win that game, but thankfully they shot themselves in the foot and Iowa escaped with a W.

4. Who Is the Real Goodson. After entering the game Big 10's 28th best RB (based on yards per carry), Goodson may have had his best game as a Hawk. 21 rushes for 141 yards and a td. Sure, Northwestern has the Big 10's worst rushing defense, but Goodson showed the flashes of speed and vision we've been hoping for all season. If Goodson can go over 100 yards in each of the next 3 games, the Hawks should win out.

5. Tackling Woes Continue. Ever heard of Evan Hull? Me neither. The Hawkeye defense uncharacteristically made the sophomore running back look like a pinball the way he consistently bounced off tacklers. He finished the game with 6 catches out of the backfield for 89 yards (21 yards more than Iowa's leading receiver), and another 41 yards rushing. Iowa's defense remains top notch, but if they don't go back to the fundamentals of tackling, all 3 remaining games are losable.

The real Tyler Goodson isn't good in zone blocking straight ahead running. He's much better with pulling guards and counters where he can follow his blocks in space and not reading the shoulders of the line to find the hole. Gavin Williams is a much better down hill runner that gets 4 every time instead of one or 14.

The real Tyler Goodson isn't good in zone blocking straight ahead running. He's much better with pulling guards and counters where he can follow his blocks in space and not reading the shoulders of the line to find the hole. Gavin Williams is a much better down hill runner that gets 4 every time instead of one or 14.
TGood reminds me of Barry Sanders, he dances to much in the backfield and loses yardage on many of his runs, but you know there is going to be that one run where he can take it the distance. However, for this offense Gavin might be the best back.

Reactions: pmtdc
TGood reminds me of Barry Sanders, he dances to much in the backfield and loses yardage on many of his runs, but you know there is going to be that one run where he can take it the distance. However, for this offense Gavin might be the best back.

Barry Sanders was the best RB I ever saw play the game. TG has nothing in common with him.

“This time, it happened…at the end of the…second half”

Please explain this one.

Goodsen reminds you of Barry Sanders? You do realize that you are saying Sanders danced to much, right? One of the GOAT RB's of college and NFL? Right? Do you even know WTF you are saying?

If you want to compare Goodsen to someone, compare him to Fred Astaire.

• Haha
Reactions: mlb1399 and ichawks
LOLOLOLOL.. What?

• Haha
Reactions: ichawks
Goodsen reminds you of Barry Sanders? You do realize that you are saying Sanders danced to much, right? One of the GOAT RB's of college and NFL? Right? Do you even know WTF you are saying?

If you want to compare Goodsen to someone, compare him to Fred Astaire.
Yes, but I did not say TGOOD was another Barry Sanders, I said he reminds me of Barry Sanders. Both dance to much and have had way to many negative yardage plays. I found this note on Barry Sanders...Barry Sanders holds the NFL record for the most carries for negative yardage. He lost 1,114 yards through the course of his career.

Last edited:
Goodson is currently running like he is more concerned about not getting hurt than picking up extra yards. He goes down often on first contact and arm tackling. If his plan was to be drafted high, huge failure.

Goodson style when there isnn't a hole or there is penetration into back field is to stop and
look for an alternate path. That tends to result in more negative plays. If Iowa had a big back, he would just attack the defender and run over him like Shonn Greene. Goodson is a variation on Wadley...great in space, but not a back that breaks tackles.

Iowa doesn't really have a true big back...even Gavin Williams doesn't look that big---but I think his style was the best complement to Goodson that we have. I think Goodson is great weapon to have on team, but BF/KF messed up with the OL being poor and not a good complement RB.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
The KF system with a below average offensive line really magnifies a lot of problems. If you are going to rally around a QB with NO mobility, you better be very confident in the O Line play.

Goodson and his feast or famine style also are not a very good fit for our scheme. He is extremely talented but given our line issues and desire to play more ball control, Gavin Williams allows us to create more first down opportunities and eliminates many of the 3rd and long scenarios. A -4 rush is basically like a false start penalty. Just kills us.

Yes, but I did not say TGOOD was another Barry Sanders, I said he reminds me of Barry Sanders. Both dance to much and have had way to many negative yardage plays. I found this note on Barry Sanders...Barry Sanders holds the NFL record for the most carries for negative yardage. He lost 1,114 yards through the course of his career.
Yeah, because Barry ran behind one of the worst OL’s in the NFL. He had to make those moves just to get back to the line of scrimmage. Put him behind Emmit Smiths OL and add another 10,000 yards rushing for the same length of career

Yeah, because Barry ran behind one of the worst OL’s in the NFL. He had to make those moves just to get back to the line of scrimmage. Put him behind Emmit Smiths OL and add another 10,000 yards rushing for the same length of career
And there's the comparison.....

Sanders played for arguably the worst franchise in the NFL. I groaned when they drafted Hockenson.

“This time, it happened…at the end of the…second half”

Please explain this one.
What do you want him to explain. Like he said, we ran 2 plays straight up the middle, then I believe a time out was called and we put Goodson back in and he ran outside and curled up into a ball and lost 3 yards. It just doesn't have to be that hard. You can still run 3 plays but maybe line up in shotgun and run a draw, or even run a very safe play action pass and look to the tight end. They had 11 guys 7 yards from the line of scrimmage. It's just insane.

Reactions: IowasLaw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT